Prince Harry Current Events 25: August 2010-December 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's good to see Harry out and about even if he did get mad at the paps. :D
I wonder who he was with?

Thx for the link. Nice to see Harry at an event with his cousin (that's rare) Zara.

I'm sure Harry was chuffed to meet all of those athletes. Also just to note that Zara was there as an accomplished athlete not because she's part of the royal family. Good on her!!

Prince Harry inhaling hippy crack and sneaking into clubs via fire escapes show he's not settling down yet | Mail Online

Prince Harry’s 26th birthday last month was expected to be a milestone of royal significance. It may not have been entirely coincidental that in the same week, he also piloted solo a £35 million RAF Apache helicopter for the first time.

The symbolism was obvious: at last, this immensely likeable young man was showing the world just how *responsible and mature he can be.

But in the days since his birthday, he has *revelled in at least two alcohol-fuelled nights out which have raged on until 5am.

Prince Harry inhaling hippy crack and sneaking into clubs via fire escapes show he's not settling down yet | Mail Online

Prince Harry’s 26th birthday last month was expected to be a milestone of royal significance. It may not have been entirely coincidental that in the same week, he also piloted solo a £35 million RAF Apache helicopter for the first time.
The symbolism was obvious: at last, this immensely likeable young man was showing the world just how ­responsible and mature he can be.
But in the days since his birthday, he has ­revelled in at least two alcohol-fuelled nights out which have raged on until 5am.

Why? Since when do we put stock in what The Daily Mail says?
And again.... no photos.

I have worries about this young man.:ermm:

I think all of us who cares for Prince Henry should worry. From the article:

Breathing the gas gives a two-minute ‘high’ — a ‘head-rush’, according to one of the party goers — and, when combined with alcohol, people have been known to pass out.

At least two deaths in recent years have been linked with overdoses. As the craze sweeps clubland, doctors have warned that users are gambling with their health, risking chronic depression, brain lesions and bone marrow illnesses.

While it is not an offense to inhale nitrous oxide, it is illegal to supply it for recreational use.

Read more: Prince Harry inhaling hippy crack and sneaking into clubs via fire escapes show he's not settling down yet | Mail Online

:ermm:

"Laughing gas" is dangerous period for anyone to use period. Years ago in the United States they often used this for people who were afraid to go to the dentist. A woman I knew took it and for a couple of days she was la dee da (laughed at anything you said to her).

Why? Since when do we put stock in what The Daily Mail says?
And again.... no photos.

There aren't going to be any photo's of Harry doing anything like this, the press cannot get that close to him.
But Harry has a record of being the "wild child" so I can believe he's doing things like this.

:previous: Actually I don't! We were all told that Harry wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer by both tabloids and serious press. It goes all the way back to the disgruntled teacher whose contract at Eton was not renewed. Although there was an investigations and the authorites found that he had indeed just squeaked through and passed on his own. From that moment on every move he has made has be examined under a microscope for negative conotations. He didn't really have what it takes to get into Sandhurst let alone pass the course. He wasn't bright enough to fly let alone an Apache. Yet he did and he has.

After the abrupt way he was pulled out of Afghanistan he made it clear he was not prepared to be a "Toy" soldier and so he transferred to the Army Air Corp, where he distinguished himself by qualifying for Apache training. There are only a few who qualify for training and that training is arduous. I do not believe that he would risk his military future in such an incredibly stupid way, bearing in mind that most of the latest reports have been somewhat suspect as he has virtually disappeared from view during his training.

Over the last couple of weeks he has been reportely drowning his sorrows, taking hippie crack, partying with anonymous blonds, etc. et al. Most telling of all, they have only shown photos of his attending a charity ball. Various photos make him look sad, lonely, animated, or drunk as a skunk. However, since these photos are all covering the same event, you have tow worry about their veracity.

Harry is too close to the finish line to throw away his one chance to be a real soldier.

Last edited:
I do not believe that he would risk his military future in such an incredibly stupid way, bearing in mind that most of the latest reports have been somewhat suspect as he has virtually disappeared from view during his training.
You make a good point about the photos. Unless we read carefully, it's a natural thing we all do--assume the photo goes with the story, when often, it doesn't. Unfortunately I tend to believe the stories, because I think it's actually suspect that we didn't hear more about Harry when he was doing his military training.

The reason I believe the stories about Harry are because 1) he is known to have a slightly wild past and 2) it was getting slightly suspicious to me that we weren't hearing much about Harry partying OR being seen with Chelsy in the last few months--and even when there were rumours in this forum that Harry had been seen chatting up girls and telling them he was single, the Daily Mail never turned out a story about Harry and Chelsy's final break-up, etc.

I've thought for a while that the Daily Mail was deliberately portraying Harry in a positive light because they liked his military career and liked his relationship with Chelsy. Someone wrote a very glowing article for his 26th birthday a couple of weeks ago, all about how Harry was the caring, yet dedicated military man, and his relationship with Chelsy was keeping him grounded.

I know that in general the Daily Mail seems to print any negative information about the royal family, but they seemed to want to portray Harry as the "good prince." Only now do they post an account of his summer (sneaking into a club through a fire escape) which tells me they had some of this information before and were just choosing not to use it. Now maybe they are finally printing the information because they're disgruntled that Chelsy is out of the picture, and want to play up the angle that "Chelsy kept Harry grounded." But that Harry actually did these things, I can believe. I think in general there's so much misbehaviour or things that can be made to look like misbehaviour among the upper classes, that sadly there's no need for the Daily Mail to make up things to fill headlines.

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous: Actually I don't! We were all told that Harry wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer by both tabloids and serious press. It goes all the way back to the disgruntled teacher whose contract at Eton was not renewed.

It goes back further than that - Diana admitted that he wasn't that bright. He had to repeat his final year of Primary/Elementary school to sit the Eton entrance test and only just scrapped in and then there was the report of him saying to a fellow student that he was not just bottom of his grade but bottom of the entire school (and that was while he was at school). He also got the lowest mark acheived at Eton in his year - a 'D'. We know it was the lowest because the Principal made a comment the following year that the school had only achieved one 'D' in the A-levels and Harry earned that 'D'.

His basic high school results weren't enough to get into Sandhurst but Sandhurst has other ways of entry, which he was able to pass. He is also the second son of the heir to the throne and therefore a bit a leeway would be given, in my opinion, all along the line. Not that he can't necessarily do it but rather that there are standards that he hasn't quite met but those standards are actually higher than needed anyway. e.g. to get into a course means that normally you need a mark of say 80% but that doesn't mean that a mark of 70% can't do the course but that normally they require the higher mark to ensure a low drop-out rate.

:previous: I hear what you are saying but, and this is a big BUT, there is no way that he would be on an Apache training course if they didn't think he could pass it.

Being the second son of the Heir to the Throne might have given him an edge getting into Sandhurst but his tour of duty in Afghanistan saw him in a position that, should he make a miscalculation, could get his own men killed. Yet as the Army put him in that position we can only speculate that his superiors thought him not only capable but competent.

The same thing applies to his current training. Harry himself said he thought he would be flying the Lynx when he got his wings as it was less complicated and there were only a few each course that went to Apache training. The army would not have allowed him to proceed, indeed they had an "out" clause from Harry himself, and yet he is preparing to fly an Apache.

I am not convinced he is off the rails. Were it so his career would be in danger and yet these reports, in the Mail no less, are treated as Gospel and everyone seems to be smiling knowingly to themselves and falling over themselves to say "I told you so" and saying how they never thought he was really working hard at his Army training and the lack of evidence of his hard partying was, in fact, proof positive that he was partying.

If this sounds nuts then those who are saying exactly that are indeed, nuts!

Last edited:
I want to give Harry the benefit of the doubt, but aren't both things true? That he has been known to party and use drugs, and that he actually is also a good soldier and pilot? Couldn't he be doing his best at his military training, but also have a tendency to go overboard at parties? As long as he does his best when on duty, I don't see that these things would be mutually incompatible. Unless Harry did something illegal while off-duty, and the cannisters of laughing gas don't seem to be illegal.

I don't think the "no evidence that Harry was partying" was proof positive that he was partying. I just think it's suspicious when the Daily Mail publishes news about every little sneeze and hiccup (almost!) of the Yorks and William/Kate, but seem quieter when it comes to Harry. Of course, that could mean that Harry was doing nothing to attract controversy, and I haven't been following Harry's current events too closely, but I have a belief that the Daily Mail at least, goes easier on Harry. Recent articles about his relationship with Chelsy and his role in the military have been mostly positive until now--especially in contrast to the digs at William for not marrying Kate, Kate for hanging around, William for extending his military training, Kate for not doing enough, etc. etc. I like Harry, but when I think about it, how much of that is due to the way papers portray him? For all I know, for every time the Daily Mail publishes their latest criticisms about Prince Andrew or Kate Middleton, they have another story about a mishap involving Harry and they choose not to publish it because it doesn't suit the image of Harry they've chosen to portray.

Just something I was thinking about. I haven't changed my impression of Harry, but after reading reports that Harry and Chelsy were finally finished, I expected the Daily Mail to create an article about it. Especially since they published a 26th birthday tribute to Harry that praised his relationship with Chelsy (even though the paper reported a few months ago that they had broken up). But no big article about Harry and Chelsy's break-up. Just references to his single status halfway through an article that reported on his bad behaviour. So I've gotten a little more curious about what doesn't get published as opposed to what does.

His basic high school results weren't enough to get into Sandhurst but Sandhurst has other ways of entry, which he was able to pass. He is also the second son of the heir to the throne and therefore a bit a leeway would be given, in my opinion, all along the line. Not that he can't necessarily do it but rather that there are standards that he hasn't quite met but those standards are actually higher than needed anyway. e.g. to get into a course means that normally you need a mark of say 80% but that doesn't mean that a mark of 70% can't do the course but that normally they require the higher mark to ensure a low drop-out rate.

Harry's basic high school results were good enough to get him into Sandhurst. He needed passes in 2 A-Level subjects which is what he achieved. (Scraped in with the D grade) He also had to sit the Sandhurst entrance exam which he passed. There are 2 streams at Sandhurst one for university graduates (which is what William did ) and another for high school leavers which is what Harry did. The university stream graduates come out with a higher rank.

Harry was not academic at school, he did repeat his final year at prep school but that was also because he was the youngest in his year. With his birthday being in September he would have started school at 4 years old rather than 5, repeating the year meant that he would become one of the oldest and it gave him an extra year to prepare for the Eton entrance exam, which he passed. Eton probably was not the best place for him, Charles and Diana were considering another school for Harry, at the time of Diana's death. She had papers on her desk in regards to alternate schools, Harry probably would have enjoyed somewhere like Gordonstoun. But with Diana's death Charles decided to keep his sons at the same school so Harry went to Eton.

Princess Beatrice also had to repeat a year at school, not sure which one, that's why with a 2 year age difference between her and Eugenie, they are only a year apart in their schooling.

I've been reading on here and how not so bright Harry was in his academic career and the question being brought up about his abilities in his military career and a thought occurred to be that things are a bit muddled.

As it may be that the "book learnin'" and then taking tests may have been more difficult for Harry than some, in military training along with the in class lessons for lets say flying an Apache there is also the practical application and hands on training where Harry could and most likely did excel.

I also would imagine that like any other young man that spends a lot of time with the military, when he does get the chance to be "off base" and able to just enjoy life, he's going to do it the fullest.

Ahhh to be in the 20s yet and have the energy to work hard and play hard again!

This is quite possible. My brother's like that. He's very bright and quick, but he hated school and didn't do well academically. Had he been born 30 years later, I think that there would have been more opportunities to excel using his abilities.

there's no need for the Daily Mail to make up things to fill headlines.
The yellow press make up things all the time to fill headlines!
Just because Harry has made mistakes in the past doesn't mean we have to believe every story from the yellow press.

Harry seems a bright young man from his interviews. We all make mistakes, goodness knows I've made plenty in my younger days. Everyone deserves a break.

A 'dramatised documentary' based on what would happen if Prince Harry were to be taken prisoner while serving in Afghanistan was described today as 'deeply distasteful'.
The 90-minute film includes scenes showing the prince, played by actor Sebastian Reid, being held behind enemy lines while negotiations are carried out to free him.
The Taking Of Prince Harry shows the prince at one point with an unloaded gun pointed at his face before one of his captors pulls the trigger.
A defence source said: 'The depiction, fictional or otherwise, of a member of the Armed Forces being taken hostage and mistreated is deeply distasteful.'

To be honest I am surprised we haven't heard about this before. :ermm:

This video is in very poor taste. Every person with a loved one fighting in Afghanistan will imagine their brother/son/Husband in Harry's place.:sad:

The video is in very poor taste but unfortunately it is a reality for EVERY soldier. Morseso for Harry.

The video while in poor taste, is actually one reason why they decided to keep Harry's presence in Afghanistan a secret and moved him when it was discovered that he was there.

You think Harry would have enjoyed Gordonstoun? I just think that since Prince Charles didn't enjoy it so much his sons probably wouldn't have to go there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom