The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 12:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

Thanks for the info.
I think I have an idea where the training will be in California.

Old 08-22-2011, 03:06 PM

Hello, new forum member! Princes William's and Harry's military career interests me, I served in the Army during my college years. I believe Camp Pendleton in California would be where Prince Harry would be training?

Old 08-22-2011, 04:17 PM
Heir Apparent

I hope his location in the U.S. is kept confidential.
Old 08-22-2011, 04:21 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
I hope his location in the U.S. is kept confidential.
Why should it?
Old 08-22-2011, 04:34 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Why should it?
Because all we royalty-besotted US yahoos will rush out there and hang around the base until he pays attention to us?
Old 08-22-2011, 04:47 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Well that's fair enough if you'd like to go and do that :) I don't see why it should be kept confidential, his locations in the UK aren't why should they be in the US?
Old 08-22-2011, 05:49 PM
Administrator

I am not that familiar with the specifics of US military life, but I would imagine that Harry's location as well as the specifics of his training will be kept confidential. There is no need for a fan club to show up trying to get a glimpse of him when he is there to learn how to fly a million (plus) dollar piece of machinery and land in the desert. There are certain things we don't know about our military and to be quite honest, I am somewhat okay with that. They put their life on the line for us every day and when, where their training facilities are should be kept quiet.

Likewise, security will not want anything to happen to him while he is on US soil.

Old 08-22-2011, 06:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes, security is the main thing. I would hate to have an incident while he is on our watch.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:16 PM
Administrator

Not that I am wishing Harry harm but I believe it was said best in a book I read on Edward VII.

Edward VII was visiting Germany for a state visit, and because of a variety of reasons (weight, heat, tightness of the German uniform that he wore) he was quite ill for some particular event. And a German Princess (maybe the Peuss princess, I can't remember) is quoted as saying similar to "Oh, please don't let him die here." It sounds kind of mean and non sympathetic, but English German relations were not at their best, and to put blunt about it ----they didn't need the headache.

So while there are no major tensions, it would be not be a good thing for something bad to happen to Harry while on US Soil.

Old 08-22-2011, 06:22 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

That's true but something bad could happen while he's on training, an accidental hit in the head could leave him brain dead. And then location and security really can't stop fate or an accident? When he went to Canada was it? It was known then where he was - perhaps that's different because it's part of the commonwealth. I'm sure Harry will be found when he's in the US.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:29 PM
Administrator

The only way Harry will be found when he is in the US if he goes off base to attend an event, bar and/or party.

For example, I live in the DC area so I am more familiar with the DC area bases. If Harry was spotted in DC, MD or VA on a regular --- you might think he was at Andrews AFB, Boiling AFB, Quantico, Fort Detrick, Fort Meade, Aberdeen, etc. You wouldn't know. Now all these bases have different functions and are not in the same family (Army, Navy, Air Force) but I think military life in the US is the same as is in Britain and around the world --- its a familial relationship, and they won't sell him out in regards to what is done on base, but off base is a totally different story. Sometimes civilians don't have the same code.

Now, I am not that familiar with UK bases, do they have bars, clubs on base? Cause I visited my Uncle at an Air Force Base in North Carolina ---- and its like its own little world - grocery store, bowling alley, club, bar, movie theater (not showing a lot of movies but still), gym, etc. You really never have to leave base! I loved it!.

Old 08-23-2011, 09:44 PM
Courtier

I agree I think unless Harry goes off base no one will really know where he is. He is there for a course not too party so I doubt he will be seen out and about that much. Harry may do some press at the very end of the training just to say thankyou I can see that happening. The show sounds good I hope we see it here in Oz.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:31 PM
Aristocracy

I read awhile back, that Harry would be training in Arizona. There is a huge base just outside Yuma and it probably has the best type of terrain for training. Security is tight, so there won't be any fan club showing up and Yuma is not a party town...so there probably won't be too much of that either. In the summer, it's too hot to leave the air-conditioning and in the winter, the town is full of snow-birds (retirees who have gone south for the winter). Before my husband died, we spent a few winters there...I love the place.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:29 AM
Administrator

Prince Harry met members of The Suffolk Foundation and families of participants taking part in
the EnglandVaarders 2011 rowing exhibition from Katwijk, South Holland to the shores of Sizewell,
Suffolk on August 24, 2011 in Sizewell, England.

** Pic ** gettyimages/zimbio gallery **

** BBC: Prince Harry joins friends and family of kayak 'escapees' **

** dailymail: Prince Harry welcomes home the men staging a recreation of epic escape from Nazi-occupied Holland **
Old 08-25-2011, 04:51 AM
Courtier

Thank you Iceflower for these photographs. Wonderful to see how Prince Harry gets around. he is fast becoming a popular royal figure. He does seem to have a nice way with people and is quite obviously well liked.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:43 PM
Majesty

Thank you, iceflower.

Harry is another one of the royals that strikes me as an easy-going and down-to-earth type. He appears to be genuinely interested in what goes on around him.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:15 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S
Thank you, iceflower.

Harry is another one of the royals that strikes me as an easy-going and down-to-earth type. He appears to be genuinely interested in what goes on around him.
I feel the same way. I love that about him.
Now if only we can get Carl Philip to be like that....
Old 08-25-2011, 10:33 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisiesforever View Post
Thank you Iceflower for these photographs. Wonderful to see how Prince Harry gets around. he is fast becoming a popular royal figure. He does seem to have a nice way with people and is quite obviously well liked.
I agree - he is my favorite royal. I love how involved he gets with regular everyday people and events and I admire all the charity work he does. There are definitely other young royals from other royal families that could learn a thing or two from Harry.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:11 AM
Royal Highness

And yes it's true :

Life and loves of Prince Harry immortalised... as a CARTOON strip | Mail Online
Old 08-27-2011, 05:36 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
I like it - but why does Princess Diana have brown hair?