Prince Harry Current Events 25: August 2010-December 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Report on Prince Harry's day at Ascot Races Deputising for the Queen

As I mentioned on another thread, today, Saturday 23 July 2011, is a very important day in the flat racing calendar, as it is the day of The King George VI and Queen Elizabeth Stakes, which is held at Ascot, the Berkshire racecourse, which, as many members of TRF will know, is owned by the Queen.

The day is not part of the Royal Ascot Meeting of course, but as the race takes place to commemorate HM Queen’s late parents, there is usually a significant ‘Royal Presence’ at the course. In years gone by, the Queen Mother was always present, usually with the Queen and sometimes Prince Philip. It has to be said, though, that Prince Philip is always a reluctant race-goer, possibly because he is more of a 'participant' than a spectator when it comes to equestrian matters, as he was a very accomplished polo player and competitive carriage driver. When it comes to spectator sports, he vastly prefers watching cricket to watching racing!

The Queen Mother and latterly the Queen both presented the Trophy when they attended the meeting and so I was hopeful that the Queen would be present today, because the course is 'just down the road' from Windsor, the Queen's weekend residence, and this is usually her last weekend in Berkshire before she leaves for a couple of months' holidays at Balmoral.

When I arrived at the Racecourse this morning, I discovered that the Queen was not going to be present, but, rather interestingly for a Royal-Watcher, I saw that Prince Harry was expected, deputising for the Queen.

We have had a lot of rain in Berkshire recently, and so I was delighted to find that the day was dry, if not very sunny. Ascot Racecourse is doing its best to promote racing as what I suppose one could call a 'fun day out' for everyone, not just 'serious racegoers' and so a cocktail party was being held as well, with a band scheduled to play at the racecourse at the end of the day's racing.

Prince Harry was dressed in a lounge suit, as the event is not formal like Royal Ascot, and therefore the strict 'Morning Dress' code does not apply. Smart dress however is required in the Members' [Premier] Enclosure, which means lounge suits, with the ladies mostly wearing hats as well, even though hats are not compulsory. [I always wear a hat at the Races - after all, you never know, the Queen MIGHT see you!! ]

As Harry came down to the Paddock for the first race, [NB Royal family members usually visit the Paddock only for feature races, events and presentations of special interest, or when there is a Royal Runner in a race] I noticed that as he moved around, he was with a small group of young people, including several pretty girls! Some of the people he was talking with were connected to the world of racing and some were evidently just his friends.

The first race featured young female jockeys, who were all standing on the raised dais, [the area where presentations are made to the winning connections]. Harry posed happily with these ladies, talking and laughing. One of the jockeys was riding one of the Queen's horses, and so was wearing the royal racing colours. I also noted that Harry moved about in the paddock meeting and greeting people - rather interestingly for me, I noticed that many of the female friends he greeted all 'double-kissed' him on the cheeks. As a fairly-seasoned 'royal watcher', I could not help but contrast this with occasions when Prince Charles was Harry's age - the PoW's appearances, even at 'informal events', were always rather formal in manner - I can NEVER remember friends kissing him at all!

At the start of the 'King George' [the meeting's so-called 'Feature' race], Harry and various companions again came down to the paddock to inspect the runners. Again, he walked about meeting people. I was interested to note that Harry was carrying a pen with his Race Card[list of horses and jockeys]. Usually, keen racegoers carry a pen to mark their selections for betting purposes. An unroyal naughty though crossed my mind - was HRH having a bet on the horses? [mind you, he would not have been the first royal to do so- both the Queen and the late QM reputedly liked a bet; indeed, experienced race-goers at Royal Ascot used to claim that they could spot the particular member of the Household staff who had been charged with the task of placing the royal bets, as the gentleman used to 'peel off' from the Royal Party and head towards the betting part of the course!!] Harry then met the jockeys of the 5 runners. The horses then left the Paddock to parade in front of the stands before going down to the start.

Workforce was the favourite, but Rewilding, written by famous jockey Frankie Dettori, was strongly fancied by many people. I backed Nathaniel, a horse that I had seen previously at Ascot, as I had found his previous performances very impressive. I should make it clear, though, that I only put very modest amounts of money on a horse - £2 [$3.50] max, just for a bit of interest on the occasional race.

Unfortunately, in the final part of the race, Rewilding sustained a fatal injury and Frankie Dettori was thrown to the ground and taken off in an ambulance. The race was won by Nathaniel, an improving 3 year old; this was quite interesting as it has been some years since a 3 year old has run the race. The winning horse and jockey then returned to the Paddock for the presentation, but the atmosphere was one of great sorrow rather than joy because of the death of Rewilding. I did notice that John Gosden, the trainer of the winning horse, put all thoughts of his own winning horse aside and rushed to the stricken Rewilding to see what he could do to help. I thought that his behaviour was most dignified - he had just trained the winner of one of - if not THE most important middle-distance races in the calendar, but his thoughts were only on the stricken horse trained by one of his rivals.

Prince Harry then mounted the dais to present the trophy, but the atmosphere was one of sorrow; race-goers in the paddock, usually so keen to cheer the winning horse were all shocked into silence by what had happened. I thought that Prince Harry carried out the presentation with appropriate dignity. Prince Harry then presented other awards to the victorious young jockey, William Buick. Before taking his prize though, I was touched that William Buick first offered his condolences to all those connected with Rewilding.

I stayed until the final race but chose to end my day early and come back home without staying for the finale of the cocktail party, as I found the events of the afternoon rather upsetting. Rewilding was found to have broken his cannon bone; this injury was not due to pressure or inappropriate treatment in the race as, sadly, this is the sort of problem that can arise if a horse is just simply running in a field alongside other horses.

All in all, this was a sad end to Harry's day of deputising for his Grandmother. It was so good to see him at the Racecourse and I did think at the start of the day that perhaps he was there because he was interested in racing rather than just there to deputise for his grandmother. I trust therefore that the sad events of today do not put Harry off a day at the races with his friends.

Last edited:
How sad for the racing community. Thankfully the jockey was or will be ok. Sounds like Harry is growing into his position nicely. Thanks for posting this!

MM

Thank you so much for your report, much appreciated.

To add to the sad note, William Buick, the winning jockey was brought up in Norway, therefore was in a somber mood because of the horrific events in Oslo, another reason why there wasnt any cheerful atmosphere at the trophy presentation.

Interesting that Harry was chosen to represent HM. Nothing wrong with that at all, just surprising somehow. Glad to hear he handled the tragedy with sensitivity, and everyone did their best to help! How sad though! Hurt animals or children is my weak spot. It is a comfort to know that this was just a tragic accident.

Thanks for the entry - it was an interesting read! I wonder if there is any video footage of Harry there?

Thank you for sharing your day with us Diarist. I'm sorry that it had such a sad ending. Harry handled it with maturity and sensitivity, but I'm sure that he was very upset. He has a real love for animals.

Thank you for that Diarist. Poor horse and rider. It was very nice to hear the trainer and jockey showed such respect. Harry sounds like he did the Queen proud!

This was indeed a very somber event. Diarist, thank you, as always, for your insight.

He looks lovely in the pictures. You can see the accident had an effect on him his face is very telling.

He takes after his mother.

I seriously doubt that. I believe that more credit should be given to his father for Harry's display of etiquette at Ascot. Unless there is a gene for gregariousness. I feel that Prince Charles should be given way more credit than he receives for the upbringing of William and Harry and into the making of the gentlemen they are today. Much more credit than their mother. While she may be a great inspiration for the brothers, their father was of a far greater influence and I believe the later has a grander impact on one's character. Nevertheless it is a sign of maturity on Harry's part and I'm sure his father and grandmother are very, very proud. At least I think so.

Let's not go there again.....Harry has the best of BOTH his parents.

There is NO need for Harry's Current Events thread to turn into a debate about the parenting styles and influences of Charles and Diana. Which it has many times in the past.

He looks lovely in the pictures. You can see the accident had an effect on him his face is very telling.

I've noticed this about him and his brother as well. They have very expressive faces.

Prince Harry looked very handsome at the wedding today!

Prince Harry is currently on vacation on the Spanish island Mallorca, here are some pics taken on August 2nd.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

Prince Harry the astronaut?

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3736595/Prince-Harrys-bid-for-Nasa-training.html

From the article:
HARRY will need to meet these Nasa requirements to become an astronaut:

GAIN a degree in engineering, bio science, physical science or maths. He may struggle, as he left Eton with A levels in art and geography.

PUT in 1,000 hours' jet aircraft pilot-in-command time. Test flight experience is considered desirable. No problem - Harry's described as a "natural pilot".

PASS a space physical, similar to military physical. Harry will easily make the grade, but he'll have to pack in the fags again.

I doubt he could satisfy these requirements. He might get into space another way.

http://www.virgingalactic.com/

I read Zara also wants to go up.

Beatrice's boyfriend Dave Clark works for Virgin Galactic and she is also known to want to go with Virgin.

For Harry I see a number of problems.

1. He isn't a US citizen so would have to be sponsored by the UK government who have already spent millions on his training to fly apaches and would therefore rightly demand some return on that training - which I would assume would be a minimum number of years actually flying them for the army. He could, of course, apply to become a US citizen.
2. Having to do a lot of extra study to bring his Maths and/Science up to standard to simply get into the degree.
3. Taking the 3 - 4 years to actually do the degree full-time and get the required marks in that degree subjects - the website for NASA also says they prefer those with higher degrees
4. Then he also needs to train to fly jets - and get the required hours in jets.
5. To do all the above would put him into his mid-30s - late 30s.

This is more like a dream than something that is likely to happen.

A seat on a Virgin Galactic flight seems his only way into space. I hope he makes it - if the Queen lets him.

Prince Harry definitely plans to be the first royal to go into space:
Prince Harry’s bid for Nasa training | The Sun |News

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if Harry went all the way with this and did make it into space. It seems whatever he sets his mind to do.. that's exactly what he does. Reading this article, the training that Harry has had so far is really quite impressive.

One thing for sure. If Harry lands on the moon he will be guaranteed that there's not a hoard of paps waiting there for him. :whistling:

Thanks,it means that "The Sun" made a mistake,anyway he could be the first from British royals

Lenora said:
Prince Harry definitely plans to be the first royal to go into space:
Prince Harry’s bid for Nasa training | The Sun |News

I might be wrong about this but I thought NASA wasn't sending plp into space anymore bc to expensive, no more space shuttle flights. Harry will have to settle for Virgin probably

Edit- http://www.space.com/12387-nasa-american-spaceflight-future-plans.html

No more space shuttle flights but NASA says they'll still go into space (how?) so looks like Harry's SOL

Last edited:
Because there was no Congressional funding or presidential mandate for a follow-on to the Shuttle, US manned flights are on hiatus for a while. There was a program called Constellation to build hardware and prepare to return to the moon, but Obama in all ways important killed it.

Constellation program - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

NASA keeps trying but the politicians get in the way. :bang:

Just remember, Harry might not be SOL after all, at least for sub-orbital flights.

Welcome | Virgin Galactic

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom