The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 06:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

I hope your son returns safely. I hope they all do!
I respect Harry for wanting to serve too.

Old 02-24-2010, 08:24 AM
Heir Apparent

Harry at the cover of Majesty-Magazine:

http://www.majestymagazine.com/images/issue/large.jpg

I had a dream: Let's connect our thoughts together, than we have a mission, let's connect our feelings together, than we have a mood, let's connect our dreams together, than we have a vision and let's connect our mission, our mood and our vision together than we have a perfect life.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

^^ Aww, that's a sweet pic of him holding the baby.
Old 02-27-2010, 03:47 PM
Administrator

Prince Harry watches the Six Nations rugby union international match
between England and Ireland at the Twickenham stadium, London,
Saturday, February 27, 2010.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** belga **
Old 02-27-2010, 04:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

Pic #3 is funny.
Old 02-27-2010, 07:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

It is funny. I wonder what he said to the guy that made him laugh.
Old 02-27-2010, 11:40 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Prince Harry WILL fly Apaches after all despite claim he 'doesn't have brain capacity' | Mail Online

Prince Harry famously said he didn’t have the ‘brain capacity’ to fly an Apache attack helicopter – but now it seems he may be proved wrong.

Sources at the Army Air Corps headquarters in Middle Wallop, where the Prince is learning to fly, have told The Mail on Sunday that Harry is being considered to pilot the demanding aircraft after doing well on his current training.
Old 02-28-2010, 12:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

This is fantastic news for Harry!
Old 03-01-2010, 07:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

I hope everything works out for Prince Harry. It sounds like he's turning out to be a natural at flying just like it was reported that his brother is too.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:35 AM
Courtier

I see on reading carefully that he is being "considered" . As to him being a natural like his brother is reported to be, it seems, like their uncle, they are genetically qualified for any task they take on.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

Being a pilot sure seems to run in the family. Even Prince Charles was a helicopter pilot at one point.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

True. Charles did have a pilot's license, although I don't think he does anymore.
I wish Harry all the best with his endeavors.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Okay, I had to look those up. I am glad they (Apache's) have two engines. Russo's eldest works on Black Hawks and they have 2 engines as well. Russo got "The Call" once that "An Incident" had happened when her son was stationed in Afghanistan. Seems a Kiowa went down. They have 1 engine and Russo's son says that he would NEVER fly them, the engine goes out you are toast. Keeping Prince Harry strictly to the 2 engine helicopters is an excellent plan--or should be!
Old 03-04-2010, 01:19 AM
Imperial Majesty

William and Harry are the third generation of royal men to have helicopter licenses as Philip, Charles and Andrew all earned them while serving in the Navy.

Philip and Charles also had fixed wing pilot's licenses as did George VI (got his in 1919) so the royal tradition of qualified pilot's extends back over 90 years.
Old 03-04-2010, 01:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

Wow, that's impressive!
Old 03-05-2010, 01:28 AM
Majesty

They must have some interesting chats when they all get together, the younger generation of pilots and the elder ones.
Old 03-05-2010, 01:42 AM
Imperial Majesty

Assuming they talk about flying I am sure that they do have interesting discussions. Philip, Andrew and Harry could also talk about war experiences but William and Charles didn't/don't have that experience (George VI of course served in the RN during WWI and fought at the Battle of Jutland so would also have been able to join the discussion).
Old 03-05-2010, 07:25 AM
Majesty

The "just cruising" high school mode is not uncommon for really bright but unchallenged or unfocused kids as well as tossers striving to drop out or be kicked out. Judging the way Harry has shaped up in the Army I belive he definitely falls into the unfocused group.

So far he has passed his Sandhurst course, qualified as an Officer in the field of war, earned the respect of his peers, passed basic flying, shows promise as perhaps a "Natural" pilot and, despite his self depricating statement that he didn't have the brain capacity to fly an Apache, he may yet.

If the naysayers had been believed, he did not pass his A or O Levels (or whatever they call them there) on his own but had sneaky phantom exam sitters and was barely literate. As for geography, well if it didn't have a Polo field and clubs it just wasn't on the map? Well let's face it, he was not a prodigy, just a normal kid.

I, for one, will be chuffed if he does qualify despite the added external pressures and stresses of being "The Spare" with his very own jeering section (and what very Royal special treatment that is), but even if he doesn't, he will still be flying helicopters and thats a damned sight more than any of the euro/journo/trash can say.

Up there you are on your own. No one else can fly it for him, nor indeed would they, because, let's face it, at our most cynical, we know someone would pot him for not being the real deal. And I am not talking about being a Prince!

ps: When the family get together if they run out of war stories they can always default to Polo.
Old 03-05-2010, 05:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

Good post MARG! Whichever helicopter he ends up flying will be a wonderful accomplishment and something to be proud of.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:20 PM
Majesty

My own brother was a bright kid who had no interest in or patience with academic school work. He was in school from '71 to '83 and didn't graduate but has done fairly well in spite of that. So I think that what you say about Prince Harry is quite possibly true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
The "just cruising" high school mode is not uncommon for really bright but unchallenged or unfocused kids as well as tossers striving to drop out or be kicked out. Judging the way Harry has shaped up in the Army I belive he definitely falls into the unfocused group.

Closed Thread

Tags
prince harry