Prince Harry Current Events 23: July 2008-May 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So anyone who holds a different view to you over Harrys' activities, is whining? :cool:

I disagreed with the jaunt to Africa and the next one, again to Africa on a bike ride. Great that he is doing something for the forces, however what would be better still, is if he was seen to be doing his job without the granting of special leave!

Its a bit difficult to judge whether he is doing his charity work on special leave or not.

Also, the boys are hardly going to have "normal" careers in the army, as their royal duties will take precdence. That is just a function of who they are, and to think otherwise might be a bit naive IMO.

Its a bit difficult to judge whether he is doing his charity work on special leave or not.

Also, the boys are hardly going to have "normal" careers in the army, as their royal duties will take precdence. That is just a function of who they are, and to think otherwise might be a bit naive IMO.
With the sweetest heart in the world, the amount of leave he has had is in excess of any other equal rank soldier and it was reported that special leave had been granted. If as you are suggesting they are never going to have normal careers in the army, lets pay them pro rata! If their royal duties are going to take precedence over the full time job they signed up for, these men should have to decide which they are going to be full time at.

......it was reported that special leave had been granted.

As we have seen, everything reported does not need to be true. I am not sure that either the MoD or Clarence House have commented on this.

If their royal duties are going to take precedence over the full time job they signed up for, these men should have to decide which they are going to be full time at.

Their royal duties will always take precedence, especially in the case of William. William is very much spending some time in the forces, in preparation for his role as C-in-C. Nobody would argue this is his full time career, but merely a step in his training for the top job.

In case of Harry, I think this will be his main occupation. However, he too, has obligations as a relatively senior member of the royal family, which he will need to honour. I really do not think this is a case of either one or the other, but of finding the right balance.

If as you are suggesting they are never going to have normal careers in the army, lets pay them pro rata!

I am not sure what has been disclosed about the remuneration the boys receive for their time in the forces, so do not feel adequately informed to comment.

Their royal duties will always take precedence, especially in the case of William. William is very much spending some time in the forces, in preparation for his role as C-in-C. Nobody would argue this is his full time career, but merely a step in his training for the top job. - snipped - I am not sure what has been disclosed about the remuneration the boys receive for their time in the forces, so do not feel adequately informed to comment.
On your other comments, we will simply have to agree to differ, on these - Does William need training for a possible future role as CiC, as has been shown by his grandmother - NO.

Neither I nor any relatives are in charge of salaries, however, it is a certainty that if either of them have not been receiving pay or had received a reduced rate, Clarence House would have announced it or let it slip! So I believe we can be pretty certain that it is not the case!

Wasn´t it the Duke of Windsor who when he asked about his pay when he was in France was told that he was the very first member of the royal family to want to be paid for serving his country, so I take it that neither Harry or William are being paid.
At least that is what I understand.... I don´t know of course.

I am just grateful for anyone who brings enthusiastic and creative energy to being a beneficial presence on the planet. I don't care if Harry splits his time among multiple roles. He is a young, energetic man and probably there are not enough hours in the day for all the stuff he wants to do.

Wasn´t it the Duke of Windsor who when he asked about his pay when he was in France was told that he was the very first member of the royal family to want to be paid for serving his country, so I take it that neither Harry or William are being paid.
At least that is what I understand.... I don´t know of course.
That was a long time ago and he wanted to receive the pension payment whilst in exile! I understand both William and Harry receive remuneration commensurate with their rank.

I have neither seen nor heard anything to suggest they are not following the example of their uncle Andrew, whose naval salary has been discussed at length! :flowers:

Does William need training for a possible future role as CiC, as has been shown by his grandmother - NO.

Your point is valid, and I am sure people will hold vastly diverse views on the subject. That said, I am sure of one thing: if the boys had not pursued military careers, they would have been severely criticised for it. Its not that long ago (and prior to the announcement of his propsoed attachemnt with the SAR team) that William was being criticised for having a relatively short career in the armed forces. Fact is that most people would like (and expect!) to see the young royals serve in the armed forces for some time at least.

That was a long time ago and he wanted to receive the pension payment whilst in exile! I understand both William and Harry receive remuneration commensurate with their rank.

I have neither seen nor heard anything to suggest they are not following the example of their uncle Andrew, whose naval salary has been discussed at length! :flowers:

Andrew had a naval salary? Sorry I didn´t see this. But the Duke of Windsor was supposedly on active duty in Paris at the time and when Fruity Metcalfe complained to him that he wasn´t getting his army pay, he got more or less the answer that he wasn´t either so why should Fruity. Then there was the little problem of the Duke leaving his post to take his wife to safety and whether that should be called desertion or not. It wasn´t but it was discussed. As you said this was a long time ago times have changed.
I have nothing against the Princes being paid, don´t get me wrong, I am just surprised that they seem to have so much leave.

Andrew had a naval salary? Sorry I didn´t see this. ---snipped----
I have nothing against the Princes being paid, don´t get me wrong, I am just surprised that they seem to have so much leave.
Prince Andrew's salary will rise by £9,000, to £45,000, when he takes up his new post.
Navy 'bent the rules' over Prince's new job
:flowers:Regarding the amount of leave, you are not the only one surprised at the amount of leave, especially as only one of them has seen active service and that (OK, it wasn't his fault), for a very short time.:flowers:

It is great to see the princes doing charity work and supporting good causes, so much better than images of them leaving parties and nightclubs.

Well, Headcases did feature that "Hazmat Harry" rap scene ... :lol:

Lol, I laughed out loud when I read that Harry knows Akons "Smack That" lyrics inside out. I'd love to be a fly on the wall for that. I wonder where Akon heard that?

Harry says: I'm Prince Airy | The Sun

So Harry's definitely caught the helicopter bug then, too, it appears.

I think the picture of him that accompanies the article is quite a good one. He looks like Earl Spencer with Prince Philip's eyes and nose.

^In terms of looks, career path and taste in women, Harry eerily mirrors Prince Andrew who also held a similar position than him in the succession (the spare). I hope the similarity ends here and he will be able to be more successful in love and life than his uncle.

FYI: Harry is featured in this years issue of "Sexiest Man Alive". There's just a small picture.

I wish PW and PH all the best on the helicopter training course, it must be so hard to decide to embark on this sort of difficult training knowing that if you don't pass then the whole world will know it and the press will drag it up from time to time forever more.

So how long do you think it will be before people start to complain about the boys joining an elite gentlemens club?

Last edited by a moderator:
Why is this news, it is a 'normal' event for young men of their wealth. At least the subscription is faily low and will work out cheaper than Mahiki or Boujis.:flowers:
Princes go to ground at the Turf Club | Mail Online

It seems it's a club where ladies are allowed to accompany members for lunch or dinner. Probably a good idea if one or both of them wants to go out without prying eyes.

It seems it's a club where ladies are allowed to accompany members for lunch or dinner. Probably a good idea if one or both of them wants to go out without prying eyes.
Indeed, it is one of those rare Clubs that actually allow women to attend, it does not however allow women to become members!:D

My grandfather´s Club wouldn´t let a woman within miles of the front door, so this sounds like a very "progressive" club. It is normal for a young man of wealth to join such a club and quite the "done" thing. I am sure a young lady invited for lunch with either the Princes will feel very flattered and I am sure the other members are going to be far more discreet than in the nightclubs they have frequented up until now.
I have just remembered another "perk" if they are out with one young lady it will make it impossible for them to be caught out by another. :flowers:

Why are people start to complain about the two princes joining an elite gentlemens club?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom