The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 09:55 PM
Majesty

I think that the real issues here are who leaked this and why. For profit? To undermine the reputation of the member of the Royal Family? I don't particularly care for Harry's remarks (in fact, I find them distasteful), but I think it's safe to say that soldiers are under a lot of stress and find humour where they can.

Old 01-10-2009, 09:59 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by christinacg View Post
Question? Did this JUST break? And is it headline news in the UK? Just curious as to how the media is handling it.
The News of the World has the story and the video, this newspaper is a Sunday Paper so the news has only come to light this evening as the first editions of the papers were made avilable to the media. Both the BBC and Sky News channels are covering the story, the BBC has that "HArry has apologised about racist remarks made three years ago" as it story - seeming to focus alot on the statements made by Clarence House and St James' Palace. The BBC has covered the news modestly - its top news story at the moment but not being overdone. However Sky has been running the video clips from the News of the World pretty much every 15 mins, has had a "media expert" and a former Buckingham Palace press secretary on air and spoken to several other people about the racist remarks and whether they are offensive.
From the newspaper reviews on BBC and Sky of tommorow (Sunday) papers it seems most will feature the story on their front pages.
The media (even the BBC) have used this incident to relfect back on Harry's "other mistakes" - the drug taking, the Nazi uniform costume etc.

However as the news hasn't broken till late tonight most people are unawre of it at the moment so it will be intresting to see what comments are made to the News channels and on newspaper websites.

Old 01-10-2009, 10:08 PM
Serene Highness

Hmm, so it sounds like its being made into a big deal over there. Interesting to see what the reaction is over the next few days. I was reading comments at NOTW website and most were supportive of Harry, to my suprise.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:27 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
I think that the real issues here are who leaked this and why. For profit? To undermine the reputation of the member of the Royal Family? I don't particularly care for Harry's remarks (in fact, I find them distasteful), but I think it's safe to say that soldiers are under a lot of stress and find humour where they can.
Exactly like I said it seems as though this was a private video hence the remarks I think Harry used them cause he didn't expect them to be leaked all over the world and the other soldiers seemed to find it humorous, I don't know why they aren't allowed to use those words especially if the other soldiers don't seem to mind but I don't specialize in that area so I'm going to stay out of it. How did NOTW get the video that's the big question, that's what I'd like to know.

ETA: I hate the fact the Mail end the article by mentioning how back in September Harry spent £5,000 on a night out, like come on do we even know if that's' true?
Old 01-10-2009, 11:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

This will blow over cmon people, I Understand it was wrong but....It happened we should move on
Old 01-10-2009, 11:16 PM
Heir Apparent

I totally agree, whatever happened, happened obviously no one was bothered by it since nothing was said all these years.

ETA I also agree with the poster below.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:18 PM
Commoner

Harry's Video

Anyone who would take that video seriously doesn't have two brain cells to rub together. It's not meant to be taken seriously! I laughed out loud at the end when he's barking out 'orders' to his men and one asks him the *ginger* question. That was hilarious!

It's the army. They can be a cheeky bunch. I've heard that occassionally they swear! And say offensive things! OMG! There was no malice in that video. It's a video of a guy doing his job, which includes a LOT of waiting around, standing around, and sitting around. At some point you're going to go for a laugh or joke or you'd be bored out of your mind. And if you think people in the army are going to go for dainty jokes, um, think again.

The real loser is News of the World. They are a super low class tabloid. I go to their website just to read the totally made up articles and laught at them. My favorite is when they do a story with some skanky American girl who claims to have slept with a famous person and they forget to write the made up quotes in American venacular, so they'll have her saying "I was going to ring him up, but then I decided not to." You gotta work on that NOTW if you want us to believe those stories are true!
Old 01-11-2009, 12:05 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
Exactly like I said it seems as though this was a private video hence the remarks I think Harry used them cause he didn't expect them to be leaked all over the world and the other soldiers seemed to find it humorous, I don't know why they aren't allowed to use those words especially if the other soldiers don't seem to mind but I don't specialize in that area so I'm going to stay out of it. How did NOTW get the video that's the big question, that's what I'd like to know.

ETA: I hate the fact the Mail end the article by mentioning how back in September Harry spent £5,000 on a night out, like come on do we even know if that's' true?

The reason that they can't use those words is that they have been used deliberately as derogative terms against specific groups of people. It is the same as using the 'n....' word in the USA when referring to people of Afro-American background. That is completely unaccptable and so is the use of the terms Harry used. They are words that should never cross a person's lips regardless of the circumstances.

I had very little respect for Harry before this but this just lowers it even further. There is something lacking in this yourg man's understanding of the world and the people within it, probably due to something lacking in his education.
Old 01-11-2009, 01:51 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
The reason that they can't use those words is that they have been used deliberately as derogative terms against specific groups of people. It is the same as using the 'n....' word in the USA when referring to people of Afro-American background. That is completely unaccptable and so is the use of the terms Harry used. They are words that should never cross a person's lips regardless of the circumstances.

I had very little respect for Harry before this but this just lowers it even further. There is something lacking in this yourg man's understanding of the world and the people within it, probably due to something lacking in his education.
Ok, I still think Harry was using it in a light hearted manner and it seemed like none of the other soldiers minded actually seems like they went along with it, and had a good laugh I've heard alot of people here use the n word in light hearted situations and not get in trouble, they took it well and also had a good laugh about it I certainly don't think it means they're lacking in any way, I think Harry is aware he shouldn't use it in places that wouldn't be appropriate just like most people wouldn't use the n word in serious circumstances. That's just how I feel atleast, like I said I`m not expert, and I really still don`t understand why they can`t use those words while in the army, mean I get their rude and your not really supposed to use them, that`s a given but I didn`t think they actually went ahead and banned them from using those types of words, but anyways. IMO I hope they don`t launch an investigation, I don`t think it`s needed, you`d have to be dumb to not realize he was just joking.
Old 01-11-2009, 02:14 AM
Courtier

It was all just a bit of fun, and goodness knows they need it, who'd want to be a soldier these days; and why anyone would be dragging it out after all this time, was it going to be some sort of blackmail attempt
Old 01-11-2009, 02:34 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
The reason that they can't use those words is that they have been used deliberately as derogative terms against specific groups of people. It is the same as using the 'n....' word in the USA when referring to people of Afro-American background.
The word is derogative when you use it in a derogative way. In this particular situation, it was obviously not used as a racial slur, but in a jokey way.
The N word is used liberally by many Black people who have reappropriated the word. I remember seeing this group of White people at a Obama rally proudly displaying a 'Rednecks for Obama' banner. I myself have no problem being jokingly called a 'bloody frog' by my English friends. Etc, etc.
The intend with which you say a word matters more than the word itself.
You can put a lot of hatred in neutral words and make them offensive or you can render strip offensive words from their power if you don't put any malice or hatred in them.

And context does matter: Army boys (or boys in general) will constantly tease each other on everything and anything (sexual orientation, social background, nationality, even, apparently, the color of their pubic hair). It may not be the height of witticism but I can't see how that is offending or unexpected.
Quote:
There is something lacking in this yourg man's understanding of the world and the people within it, probably due to something lacking in his education.
Nobody ever accused him of being worldly but I can't see how anyone can make any serious conclusions about Harry's values, political leaning or ethical values from a silly 3min video clip.

Old 01-11-2009, 02:46 AM
Heir Apparent

^First off I have to agree with you Idriel and secondly another Harry related article

Daily Star: Simply The Best 7 Days A Week :: News :: Boozy Harry’s wings clipped
Old 01-11-2009, 07:27 AM
Aristocracy

Idriel: "Even funnier is NOTW 'outrage' at an army boy using slang and rude terms (of course, soldiers conversation usually sound straight off an Evelyn Waugh novel).
I won't even get into the pure comedy that is NOTW (the Sun's sister paper) and the Daily Mail, both the most bigoted, xenophobic and fascist publications in England calling anyone a racist." I so agree - the bigotry and hypocrisy of the British media makes my blood boil. They are so xenophobic, homophobic and mysoginistic that this really does scream 'I live in a glass house!'

So - another storm in a teacup. Is Hal shaping up to be the new Prince Philip I wonder? Look - I don't like the terms he uses, but they get used, and I think people have to be grown up about it. It is a shame that someone like Harry whose education was so expensive and well thought through is doing this, but then, he's not meant to be the sharpest tool in the box - but someone who is dedicated to his military career... And I think we have to accept that military men do have a bit of an earthy and un-PC sense of humour. NOt that I am making excuses for him, hopefully he now knows better and appreciates he offence these terms can make (not that it did here I hasten to add...)

In the past three years, as other commentators have said, he has grown up a lot, so he just has to do a big mea culpa and move on.

Ignoring the racism, my favourite bit was the fake phone cal to his Granny - hilarious!
From BBC news "Meanwhile, during a faked call to the Queen, as the Commander in Chief of the British Army, the prince says: "Granny I've got to go, send my love to the Corgis and Grandpa."
He finishes saying: "I've got to go, got to go, bye. God Save You ... yeah, that's great." "

Has anyone called this Harrygate yet? Matter of time surely....
Old 01-11-2009, 07:31 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
I don't particularly care for Harry's remarks (in fact, I find them distasteful), but I think it's safe to say that soldiers are under a lot of stress and find humour where they can.
These remarks were made when Harry was still at Sandhurst, so he wasn't under any stress at all. The labeling of another officer cadet by ethnic background was and is totally unacceptable. However it was three years ago, before the Nazi uniform fiasco and hopefully Harry has matured enough to know it is not the done thing. Calling men in Iraq and Afghanistan 'Rag Heads', is rife in the entire country as is 'questioning' what the SM has ordered you to do, I do hope however, that Harry has learned it is the non comms and ordinary soldiers who do most of the work, (I say that with one 'grunt' and umpteen Officers in the fold).

The major complaint I have is that once again the palace spokesperson has made it so much worse by releasing a statement, which tells us that it was a nickname. That is clearly unlikely to be true.

Harry was an idiot for using a derogatory term for a fellow cadet, he really should now show some intelligence and look to replacing some members of his PR team, who pour oil on troubled waters!
Old 01-11-2009, 07:42 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
IMO I hope they don`t launch an investigation, I don`t think it`s needed, you`d have to be dumb to not realize he was just joking.
They will only launch an investigation if a complaint is made, it is quite possible with the wall to wall coverage this is getting on all of the UK TV news stations and papers, someone, somewhere will now complain.

It is only a joke if the subject is involved and so far the reports are saying the other cadet was unaware of the comment.
-------------------
The Conservative leader said the Prince was right to have said sorry after being caught on video referring to his colleague Ahmed Raza Khan as "our little Paki friend".

Prince Harry's 'Paki' comments 'completely unacceptable', says David Cameron - Telegraph

The ‘Ahmed’ referred to by Prince Harry in the video is thought to be his fellow Sandhurst trainee Ahmed Raza Khan.
Khan passed out of Sandhurst with the highest possible honour for an overseas cadet – winning the coveted ‘Overseas Sword’

'Ahmed' the extraordinary cadet whose father joked with Charles | Mail Online
Old 01-11-2009, 08:35 AM

Trust Harry. Why is that when the RF gets on an even keel with no problems, one member puts their foot in by doing something stupid. Honestly.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:05 AM
Nobility

Skydragon as usual, ever the level head.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:11 AM
Royal Highness

Prince's apology for racist term
BBC NEWS | UK | Prince's apology for racist term

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7822739.stm
Old 01-11-2009, 10:18 AM
Serene Highness

I've never known "Paki" to be a derogatory term over here in the US. I can't speak for Harry if he knew it to be or not. But the way he said it in the video was not derogatory at all. I agree the Prince Harry doesn't always have the smartest judgement in some of the things that he does being that he is a prince. But we all know he strives to be "normal" and thats exactly how he was acting in the video amongst his comrades. I think if anybody wants to take action against Harry for these remarks, they better look at the army as a whole and not this one individual. In fact they better look at their society as a whole. I think its a disgrace the way the media has always saught to ruin Harry's reputations and all of the good things he does are so easily forgotten. I really feel bad for him this morning, b/c I don't think he's stupid or racist or anything like how he's being made out to be. But I really hope from now on he'll avoid behaving like that when camera's are around.

But I'm happy to say, that most of the comments this morning on the newspaper websites are still positive for Harry. So it seems like the public is mostly ok with it but the media is trying to make something more of it (as usual).
Old 01-11-2009, 10:30 AM
Heir Apparent

Young men often say derogative things camouflaged as nicknames about somebody they view as an over-achiever. Maybe this was the case here as well. Let's hope that Harry has learned in the meantime that he isn't "one of the boys" when it comes to say things like that. Part of the price he has to pay for being a prince of the UK.

'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Closed Thread

Tags
prince harry, scandal, video