The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 05:13 PM
Majesty

If this is true, he's even worse than I thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angela View Post
I read that he even blundered BADLY when signing the condolence book for the bush fire victims. Apparently when attaching the yellow ribbon of remembrance to his lapel he laughed and said, " I'm only wearing this until the cricket starts" a reference to England's impending matches against Australia soon.

Old 03-09-2009, 05:24 PM
Imperial Majesty

I have read a lot of the reports about the visit of the princes to the Australian High Commission to sign the condolence book and, although there is mention of Harry making a quip about wearing the yellow ribbon, there was no suggestion that it was insulting in any of the articles I read.

Most even made the point that the brothers promised to wear them until after the Ashes series as a sign of support for the victims.

As an Australian, and a cricket follower, who is looking forward to the Ashes series (and hoping for a better one then either of the countries are currently playing - which are so boring and/or one sided as to be sleep inducing), I see the comment of Harry as one of extended support - and an acknowledgement of the ties between the two countries rather than a negative one lacking compassion.

I have very little time for either of these two young men but I didn't see anything wrong in the comment at all.

Old 03-09-2009, 05:29 PM
Majesty

It sounded crass to me because it suggests that Harry's more interested in rugby than in the victims of the fires. I truly hope that the statement is not true.
But if you, as an Australian, didn't find the comment insulting, then I, your Canadian "cousin" shouldn't either.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:27 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
I read that he even blundered BADLY when signing the condolence book for the bush fire victims. Apparently when attaching the yellow ribbon of remembrance to his lapel he laughed and said, " I'm only wearing this until the cricket starts" a reference to England's impending matches against Australia soon.
More than a blunder, an insensitive oaf, not a time of gaity at all, one would have thought!
Old 03-10-2009, 09:30 AM
Administrator in Memoriam

No-one in Australia has taken public offence at Harry's comment so there's no need for others to do so on our behalf.
Although there were many casualties of the Victorian firestorms, our sense of humour wasn't one of them.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:35 AM
Imperial Majesty

When someone says something like this, it becomes a British issue, there may not have been any stated public offense, but the remark was tactless at a time when humour was not appropriate.
Old 03-11-2009, 04:48 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
Quote:
I read that he even blundered BADLY when signing the condolence book for the bush fire victims. Apparently when attaching the yellow ribbon of remembrance to his lapel he laughed and said, " I'm only wearing this until the cricket starts" a reference to England's impending matches against Australia soon. If that's true then he really is an insensitive idiot (not to mention the fact that the Royals should never, and have never in the past, openly expressed support for one country that the Queen is Head of State of over another. But that is another issue again).
When someone says something like this, it becomes a British issue, there may not have been any stated public offense, but the remark was tactless at a time when humour was not appropriate.
Where is the reference for this inferred slight? Everywhere else we are demanding credible references. "I have read" does not meet that acid test.

Further, As with the racist remarks regarding the family polo playing friend, didn't we remark that it was racist to tell the "friend" he had been demeaned and should be outraged when he felt he had not and was, therefore, not!

As for the Aussies. If they felt slighted they would let you know . . . bluntly, clearly and without obfuscation.

Is Australia too immature a country to understand that it had been slighted?

It really is . . . . justnot cricket!
Old 03-11-2009, 06:59 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Mr Dauth gave the princes yellow ribbons to wear on their suits in commemoration of the more than 200 people killed by the fires, prompting Prince Harry to joke he would continue wearing his throughout the upcoming Ashes cricket series - William, Harry pay bushfire respects | The Australian
Perhaps not all Australians are like yourself? I am horrified that anyone would choose to joke at such a time, when so many had lost their lives and homes. He was at the time representing his country and he should learn how to behave.

If it is only the Australians who are able to state they find it unacceptable, then all the threads had best be closed, after all, that would mean nobody but the British could comment on the British Royal Family, the same for all the royal houses.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
If it is only the Australians are able to state they find it unacceptable...
In the danger of further beating a dead horse, I've yet to see or hear anything in the Australian media stating that anyone found Harry's quip unacceptable.
There's nothing in the linked news story to indicate that anyone has taken the slightest offence at what was said.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:23 PM
Serene Highness

This conversation about Harry's supposedly insensitive remark reminds me of people who think the term Christmas must sound offensive to non-Christians and do everything they can to remove it from public usage...even when the people in question are often not offended at all!

It sounds to me like Harry was trying to make a light-hearted comment without any intention of actual disrespect, but anyway, I don't see the point of being offended on behalf of the Australians if the Australians themselves weren't offended.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:08 PM
Serene Highness

I don't think anyone there, including Harry, was in any doubt of the seriousness of the circumstances. Sometimes, in the face of such extreme tragedy, a little levity and a shifting of thought to something more pleasant can be a welcome momentary release. Harry has seen war and lost friends to it. People have different ways of dealing with death.
Old 03-11-2009, 03:28 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
In the danger of further beating a dead horse, I've yet to see or hear anything in the Australian media stating that anyone found Harry's quip unacceptable.
There's nothing in the linked news story to indicate that anyone has taken the slightest offence at what was said.
Not really the point though is it? Virtually every thread has, as an example, an American commenting on a royal family, clearly not their own, sometimes even outraged by something said royal has said or done. By the reasoning that appears to be coming from yourself and MARG, nobody except the Australians should think or comment that they found the remark, the 'humour' to be unacceptable under the circumstances.

I found the remark callous and totally misplaced.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay286 View Post
I don't see the point of being offended on behalf of the Australians if the Australians themselves weren't offended.
I can't find anywhere that it states that anyone is offended on behalf of the Australians?
Old 03-11-2009, 07:43 PM
Majesty

Could there be some kind of international humour break-down going on? People from different areas of the world have different senses of humour. When I went to see the movie "Tootsie", there was a British man sitting behind me. He roared with laughter and things that the rest of us didn't think were that funny, and vice-versa. Some British humour I find very funny, and there's some that I don't "get" at all.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:05 AM
Imperial Majesty

The Brits do have a different sense of humour to many other countries, One is Gallows Humour, but many also believe it is important to behave when it is a solemn occasion. I would have thought when signing a book of condolence, your thoughts are on the devastation caused, not a silly game of bloody cricket!
Old 03-12-2009, 08:16 AM

OK, those who are offended by Harry's quip can continue to be offended, and those who aren't offended can continue to wonder what the fuss was all about.
Since this particular dead horse has well and truly been flogged, let's leave the topic and move on to something else.

thanks,
Warren
British Forums moderator
Old 03-15-2009, 04:56 AM
Administrator

The following article includes some very special pics
of Harry taken last Friday night. Definitely not one of
the best ideas for the fashion year 2009

Prince of Nails: Harry leaves club with pink nail varnish as William dons scruffy shoes
Old 03-15-2009, 07:34 AM
Imperial Majesty

I hope the article is inaccurate when it talks of Harry drinking!
Old 03-15-2009, 09:32 AM
Serene Highness

We all know Harry has a great sense of humor, so I'm guessing the pink nails are some sort of joke.
Old 03-15-2009, 11:04 AM
Majesty

Pink nails ... I wonder why Prince Henri does such things. It appears to me that he likes to test the public opinion or he simply does not care about such trivial thing.
Old 03-15-2009, 11:36 AM
Courtier

Nice and slowly I tend to quit monarchy and send those "royals" into the wilderness after Queen Elizabeth´s death (she also seems not to be willing or able to call her grandchildren to order......)

Closed Thread

Tags
prince harry, scandal, video