The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 10:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Soldier speaks: Harry's not a racist | The Sun |News|Royals

Old 01-16-2009, 10:33 PM
Majesty

Now that the "victim" has spoken, I hope that people will take his word for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post

Old 01-16-2009, 10:49 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by misselle View Post
Harry apologized. He had the sense and the grace to do so.
Yes he apologised. But surely the fellow Officer Cadet was the only one who was entitled to an apology should an apology have been needed. There really is no need to do the complete mea clupa, mea maxima culpa, to a bunch of "pious, pompous, prudish, sanctimonious, semi-hysterical, self-righteous, mealymouthed, whining prigs".

(My compliments to Andrew Alexander . . . . . I couldn't have said it better myself!).

As with the implied racist treatment of "Sooty" at their polo club? I think the only racists were the patronising "pious, pompous, prudish, sanctimonious, semi-hysterical, self-righteous, mealymouthed, whining prigs", who felt that as he was obviously incapable of understanding that he had been insulted, they would be for him! . . . . .
Old 01-17-2009, 06:44 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Yes he apologised. But surely the fellow Officer Cadet was the only one who was entitled to an apology should an apology have been needed.
I disagree here.
Harry is a Prince of the UK. He had to publicly acknowledged that his language could cause offense to many of his grandmother's subjects.

Note that he didn't apologise for giving his friend that nickname (this is indeed an apology only Ahmed was entitled to, and apparently received) but for the offence it had caused, presumably to those who had this word thrown at them in a very different context.
I think there is a subtility here and I think the way this was handled by his office was the correct approach.
It should have ended right there and the public character assassination that occurred after the publication of the video and article was indeed lamentable and uncalled for.

Old 01-17-2009, 07:21 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
Now that the "victim" has spoken, I hope that people will take his word for it.
I am puzzled by this, from The Sun article.
Quote:
Ahmed communicated with The Sun via text messages sent to a friend
? Which in every other media outlet is now being omitted.

To the British media - leave the man alone, he has apologised!
Old 01-17-2009, 11:39 AM
Royal Highness

The Greek Hello! magazine had an article and many photos about Harry & Chelsy's holidays in Mauritius.But I'm sure you already know about that,the topic is probably borrowed by the UK Hello!,right?
Old 01-17-2009, 01:25 PM

What's been wonderfully overlooked is Harry's relationship with a fellow soldier. "I love you" and licking and kissing him? I won't lie, I'm thrilled Harry's potentially on the bi bus but I think it's quite funny nobody's really mentioned it.
Old 01-17-2009, 02:31 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by zembla View Post
I thought this writer at The Huffington Post seemed to sum up how most people feel...

Mike Alvear: Prince Harry Video Reveals His Carpet Matches His Drapes
Thanks for the link, zembla -- I thoroughly enjoyed this perspective, especially this bit:

Quote:
In the video, Harry pretends he's on the phone with The Queen and ends the conversation with, "God save you." Now, that's funny. Here's exactly what he said: "Send my love to the corgis. I've got to go, got to go, bye. God Save You."
Good lord, that is hilarious! Wonder if HM's caught wind of that bit, and if "we'd" be amused or not?

"I have to be seen to be believed."
HM The Queen
Old 01-17-2009, 03:05 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
What's been wonderfully overlooked is Harry's relationship with a fellow soldier. "I love you" and licking and kissing him? I won't lie, I'm thrilled Harry's potentially on the bi bus but I think it's quite funny nobody's really mentioned it.

It doesn't mean he's bi. Guys and girls my age often behave a little too affectionately with our friends when we're drunk!
Old 01-18-2009, 02:01 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ella Kay View Post
Good lord, that is hilarious! Wonder if HM's caught wind of that bit, and if "we'd" be amused or not?
That sense of humour had to come fromwhere! I have a suspicion that she would have been "tickled pink".
Old 01-18-2009, 04:31 PM
Heir Apparent

Officer tells military police Harry video was stolen from his laptop computer - Telegraph
Old 01-18-2009, 04:34 PM
Royal Highness

Can anyone explain how the copyright law works in UK? Does the tape belong to the officer who owns the equipment or since Harry filmed the published segments, belong to Harry? Can either sue the press for publishing the tape?
Old 01-18-2009, 07:50 PM
Majesty

I think that the theft will be dealt with within the Army, however, I would dearly love to see all the media that handled it charged with "Receiving Stolen Property".

The way I see it is that charging the media is the only way to protect high profile "Objects of Interest". I use the term "objects" as I think that is the way the media deals with them, as commodiies . . . . sick but slick.

The content of what was or is stolen is immaterial. Theft is theft, and the law is, in this case, criminal law! It is surely a Police matter and noone needs to sue anyone.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:26 AM
Majesty

Yes, that would be great!

Quote:
I would dearly love to see all the media that handled it charged with "Receiving Stolen Property".
Old 01-19-2009, 07:56 PM
Heir Apparent

Prince Harry starts helicopter training | The Sun |News|Royals
Old 01-20-2009, 12:06 AM
Courtier

MARG Post 353 Yes charge them, and let's have a conviction this time, perhaps the police will have better luck than the RSPCA
Old 01-20-2009, 07:16 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
I think that the theft will be dealt with within the Army, however, I would dearly love to see all the media that handled it charged with "Receiving Stolen Property". ----- ------ The content of what was or is stolen is immaterial. Theft is theft, and the law is, in this case, criminal law! It is surely a Police matter and noone needs to sue anyone.
At the moment, the theft of the material is being investigated by the Military Police and only if they find enough evidence will it be passed to the ordinary police force. We will then have the NotW editor screaming that he cannot be forced to disclose his source. I would imagine the RMP's are already checking the bank accounts of anyone associated with Harry and his friend, whether it will lead to the prosecution of the culprit is a remote possibility. IF he is a fellow officer, name, shame and dishonourably discharge him!

..... and so it rumbles on......
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...cist-slur.html

Quote:
The official said: "We have been going to great lengths at trying to make inroads into the Asian community because we want them to join the armed forces. Now what will they think? The term 'Paki' is deeply abusive – it is not a term of endearment.
"Prince Harry has done untold damage and the impression I get is that he doesn't actually think he has done anything wrong.
Lets hope his impression is wrong.
Old 01-20-2009, 03:19 PM
Heir Apparent

From what I've gotten from all the other articles is Harry realizes what he did was wrong but he never meant to hurt anyone when he recorded it.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:04 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
. . . . . . only if they find enough evidence will it be passed to the ordinary police force. We will then have the NotW editor screaming that he cannot be forced to disclose his source.
Would it really matter. They would still be "in receipt of stolen property". Nothing to do with sources, everything to do with it being a criminal act.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:18 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Would it really matter. They would still be "in receipt of stolen property". Nothing to do with sources, everything to do with it being a criminal act.
Is that criminal in and of itself? Doesn't it have to be knowing? (If it was sent anonymously, they couldn't know it was stolen.) And if it was transmitted electronically, I don't think it would fall under such laws.

Closed Thread

Tags
prince harry, scandal, video