The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 03:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
Oh dear is this supposed to make us feel better?

Old 01-14-2009, 03:18 PM
Majesty

Not necessarily. I thought it was just so different from everything else that's been said that it was worth posting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarue View Post

Old 01-14-2009, 03:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

I agree it is very different. I think it is nice to be friendly with your fellow soldiers but licking their faces?
Old 01-14-2009, 04:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
We learned about the Nazis in school, and about the Holocaust. I can't believe that the subject wasn't covered in British History. But given you're grinning smiley, perhaps you're being sarcastic about "how should he know?", Jo?
Yes, I was sarcastic. It is a fact that a lot of schools omit this topic or place it so far at the end of their history-rpogramme that ancient Greece or Rome are far better covered than the question how it was possible that the Nazis were able to obtain control of Germany and did what they did. And it's a fact that "Bomber" Harris and the government who backed him deliberatedly caused unnecessarily the death or mutilation of so many innocent people- people who had no active doings in the war at that stage, refugees and civilians, old people and children on setting fire to the cities. I met survivors and believe me, they told horror stories of the "fire storm"... I say unnecessarily because these people were not able to influence the government at that time and it was known that the couldnt. Okay, enough of that. So I understand it if some school omit this chapter of history but I think a prince of the UK should know anyway.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 01-14-2009, 05:12 PM
Majesty

It seems to be a thing that young people do. There have been pictures of Chelsy doing that as well. Can't imagine doing that to one of my friends, though.

Quote:
I agree it is very different. I think it is nice to be friendly with your fellow soldiers but licking their faces?
Old 01-14-2009, 05:19 PM
Majesty

Yes, I know what you mean. We learned more about the events leading up to WWI (armament buildups, the Entente Cordiale, etc.) than about how the Nazis were able to take control in Germany, or even what made Hitler such a charismatic figure--except that the terms of German surrender in WWI totally humiliated the Germans and Hitler appealed to the sense that Germans had of being victimized. That's it: if a person can make other people feel like they've been victimized, there's no limit to what he/she can achieve. Anyway, I can hear Warren approaching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine View Post
It is a fact that a lot of schools omit this topic or place it so far at the end of their history-rpogramme that ancient Greece or Rome are far better covered than the question how it was possible that the Nazis were able to obtain control of Germany and did what they did.
Old 01-14-2009, 05:27 PM

Quote:
So Harry's gay now? Fancy.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine View Post
So I understand it if some school omit this chapter of history but I think a prince of the UK should know anyway.
Not being taught it at school is no excuse for anyone, least of all a prince of the UK, not knowing about the rise of the Nazi party and Hitler in Germany, and the persecution of Jews and the extermination camps.

It was such a huge issue in the last century, and there have been numerous movies and TV shows and documentaries about the subject, and I don't see how anyone with any curiosity at all - especially someone with as many German relatives as Harry - could reach their late teens and not know that wearing a swastika armband might upset a lot of people. Harry could have worn the Afrika Korps uniform without the armband, or covered it up. I suppose we should be thankful he didn't choose an SS officer's uniform.

(ETA) Anyway, I'm sure he knows now. And that was a long time ago, like the recently disclosed video tape. He's grown up a lot since those days and I'm prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt and trust he will not do anything so foolish again.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:14 AM
Serene Highness

Muslim leader apologises for calling Prince Harry 'a thug'

Quote:
A leading Muslim in Britain who accused Prince Harry of being “a thug” for calling a Pakistani colleague at the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst a “little Paki” made a public apology yesterday for his own choice of language.
Mohammed Shafiq, the chief executive of the Ramadhan Foundation, a Muslim youth organisation, admitted that he had allowed his emotions to get the better of him.
“On reflection, I wish to issue a sincere and unreserved apology to Prince Harry for any offence I have caused him,” he said.
Quote:
“I am, however, still of the view that the use of the term 'Paki' is unacceptable in the 21st century and I welcome Prince Harry's acceptance that this word is racist and offensive. I know he is a very talented individual and has a bright future ahead of him and hope we all learn lessons from this sorry episode,”

Old 01-15-2009, 12:17 AM
Majesty

This is good to hear.

Old 01-15-2009, 02:37 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
It seems to be a thing that young people do. There have been pictures of Chelsy doing that as well. Can't imagine doing that to one of my friends, though.
Maybe Chelsy did that, but the point is that he was allegedly (love that word) licking a fellow soldier´s face.....
Old 01-15-2009, 03:28 AM
Heir Apparent

I can't say that I've seen it be done by men either atleast in my personal experience but I have seen weirder things than that! But no I think he was just being silly at that moment

Just wanted to add, I still can't believe how serious it's gotten even involving his charities, I mean I'd understand if it was recent but it was 3 years ago come on.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:59 AM
Super Moderator

That's ironic - I'm not surprised for the apology - if you look up the word "thug" in Wikipedia it states that it derives from the former Indian cult "Thuggee" who were apparently a band of murderous robbers!

What a week of apologies here in Britain and lessons learned!
Old 01-15-2009, 10:58 AM
Administrator in Memoriam

Prince Charles should now issue a statement saying that he won't accept this apology until the Muslim leader apologises to both the British Army and the British Government for calling Harry a thug (or should that be t--g?).
That would bring the debate nicely full circle and allow it to go on for a few more days.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:17 AM
Courtier

I thought this writer at The Huffington Post seemed to sum up how most people feel...

Mike Alvear: Prince Harry Video Reveals His Carpet Matches His Drapes
Old 01-15-2009, 11:28 AM
Majesty

Warren,
You are so right. Everything has got its limits. Some officials and other public people has gone too far in their righteous anger. However, I think that the Clarence House is unlikely to issue any statements, but just wait for the scandal to die out on its own.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:42 AM
Majesty

Why are we not surprised that the story is fading from the headlines?

Well once a few normally sensible people reviewed their incredibly intemporate and inflamatory rhetoric and realised that they had been "right royally" wound up by the media, a very few have had the grace to apologise.

Racist rhetoric sells papers, apologies do not.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:44 AM
Royal Highness

Perhaps Daily Mail is getting bored of its soap box:
ANDREW ALEXANDER: Prudes, prigs and the menace of a PC code | Mail Online

Another comment from the American Spectator:
The American Spectator : Prince Harry and the Jew-Haters
Old 01-16-2009, 01:06 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incas View Post
Perhaps Daily Mail is getting bored of its soap box:
ANDREW ALEXANDER: Prudes, prigs and the menace of a PC code | Mail Online

Another comment from the American Spectator:
The American Spectator : Prince Harry and the Jew-Haters
..... and abut bloody time!
Old 01-16-2009, 03:06 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
Warren,
You are so right. Everything has got its limits. Some officials and other public people has gone too far in their righteous anger. However, I think that the Clarence House is unlikely to issue any statements, but just wait for the scandal to die out on its own.
Harry apologized.He had the sense and the grace to do so.Some of the more responsible reporters gave a fair treatment of the story,without too much rhetoric,and that ought to be the end of it.But,I've noticed,that so many so-called "reporters" are only interested in dredging up anything that is sensational,salacious,dirty...
I thought the story should have died down right after Harry apologized,but then someone else dug up a statement Charles made(with the other man's approval,yet)...so it looks like we're waiting for another "scandal,"just because it sells papers.

Closed Thread

Tags
prince harry, scandal, video