The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 01:51 PM
Serene Highness

i have seen the video and all i have to say is thank goodness he is a royal cause he doesn't have enough sense to make a real living.remember people jmo
plus he is very silly

Old 01-12-2009, 02:13 PM

What Harry said was racist and derogatory period. “P--i” was always used in a derogatory sense when I was growing up and calling someone a “P--i” was viewed in the same vein as calling an African-American person n--ger. I also can’t believe he allowed himself to be filmed saying this, there’s no such thing as a “private tape” when you’re in his position. He’s not some inexperienced neophyte; he was literally born into public life and should have known better, even three years ago.

Prince Harry just needs to bite the bullet and come out and apologize and I don’t mean terse written statements from some faceless palace rep, but come right out and say “I meant no harm, it was said in jest but I now realize that to many the term I used was offensive…” The media is running with the story and sensationalizing it, but they’re able to do that in part because Harry hasn’t addressed the issue in any meaningful way; he continues to hide behind the palace skirts, hoping it will all die down.

Old 01-12-2009, 03:37 PM
Imperial Majesty

There has been enormous coverage across the media of Prince Harry's use of a racist slur term in a video he produced three years ago -- and appropriately so --

BBC Will and Testament | William Crawley's broadcasting diary

Old 01-12-2009, 03:44 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idriel View Post
^In terms of looks, career path and taste in women, Harry eerily mirrors Prince Andrew who also held a similar position than him in the succession (the spare). I hope the similarity ends here and he will be able to be more successful in love and life than his uncle.
I agree,Idriel.Andrew never remarried after his divorce,which is a bit sad.I hope Harry makes a wise choice and marries well.Harry seems like a decent-enough young man who gets along with his army colleagues and I hope his army career is a successful one. Andrew had to leave his position when it became clear that he wasn't going to be promoted any further(Palace Courtires thought it embarrassing,I suppose and told Andrew to retire,which was a bit sad,to,since Andrew liked being a Navy man).I hope Harry will be able to leave his post on his own terms,after serving his country well.

And as to the video:Harry should be aware that some nicknames that can be considered derogatory should no be used.He should know that as a royal his manners and behaviour are expected to be the very best.And he should know that everything he does is scrutinized.Really,everyone shouldn't use derogatory terms to describe people,even in jest!
Old 01-12-2009, 04:12 PM
Nobility

I am glad he apologized. That's enough. IMO he doesn't owe an apology to the Pakinstan Army and government. That is over the top and inappropriate. But he is royal and I suppose everyone who is able to will use this to score political points.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:22 PM
Heir Apparent

^I agree, he's apologized there's nothing more he can do what's happened has happened. I guess everyone is going to take this differently but at the end of the day there's nothing we can do to change what has happened.

Here's a quote from the Prime Minister I found, I think it was nice of him to defend Harry.
Quote:
Gordon Brown says Harry's still a "role model" despite getting caught using the terms "Paki," "raghead," and "queer" on video, referring to fellow soldiers in the British army. The family of the cadet who had to endure the "Paki" comment, however, calls him a "coward."

PM Brown says Harry's apology was "genuine" and "cannot be doubted."
Old 01-12-2009, 04:25 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisscross1 View Post
I thought it was hilarious, good on him for being just one of the boys and joining in. Harry didn't take offense when asked the very last question and I don't suppose any of the other people in his platoon (if that is what they are)
took offense at his banter.
Being a video that was taken three years ago I think the media needs to find something more important to report on.
I absolutly agree Crisscross1.

I don't usually follow what Harry or William are doing. I only know about the video because it was shown in the Danish news. IMO Harry was simply being one of the boys. He made some innocent remarks, which can be interpreted as racist by "hypersensitive" people and the press in particular.

If indeed he was a racist - I am sure the tone of his voice would have been in accordance with such an attitude. It wasn't. His tone was friendly and humorous.

Actually my impression by watching the video was, that he is a charming young guy with the great skill of being capable of making his comrades laugh. IMO there is nothing wrong in that.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:43 PM
Aristocracy

I thought he would have learned his lesson from the episode with the nazi uniform....I guess not. Even if he didn't mean it in an insulting way he really should have been more careful IMO about something that could be taken out of context. In this day and age of the Internet anything can wind up where millions of people can see it. That goes for anyone not just royalty.
-Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 01-12-2009, 06:57 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
I agree, he's apologized there's nothing more he can do what's happened has happened.
I'm not sure what he can do at this point besides sincerely apologize and then never, never do it again. We'll see, I suppose.

"I have to be seen to be believed."
HM The Queen
Old 01-12-2009, 08:26 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilla View Post
I absolutly agree Crisscross1.

I don't usually follow what Harry or William are doing. I only know about the video because it was shown in the Danish news. IMO Harry was simply being one of the boys. He made some innocent remarks, which can be interpreted as racist by "hypersensitive" people and the press in particular.

If indeed he was a racist - I am sure the tone of his voice would have been in accordance with such an attitude. It wasn't. His tone was friendly and humorous.

Actually my impression by watching the video was, that he is a charming young guy with the great skill of being capable of making his comrades laugh. IMO there is nothing wrong in that.
I think you have to differenciate here: Of course you can't simply label someone as a racist only because he made a racist comment. BUT still, you can and should condemn his racist comment! And that is what - I think - the majority here does. I find it simply unacceptable of some people to underestimate the power of humorous racism. I may think that these comments come mostly from people who have never experienced racism, who were never on the other side and who never stood in the focus of such humour. Than you may think differenty. Condemming racist behaviour in all its forms has only little to do with political correctness, but more with the respect towards human beings of other nationalities, ethnical or religious backgrounds - one of the most importants visions of the UN Charter for Human Rights. Racist comments are not tolerable. You are not a racist when you do so, but you are not fun either when you do make such a comment.
Of course, Harry can play the game and be "one of the boys" whenever he wants, but not in this way! He was not charming at all, but nothing more than a silly boy (which is a real shame, because all the expensive education was for nothing). He made not a good laugh. He IS the laugh, which is a shame.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:45 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naggi View Post
BUT still, you can and should condemn his racist comment!
But the debate is, was it a racist comment? I'm still having a hard time accepting that it was. Maybe I'm as ignorant as you think Harry is, but to me its just another way of saying "Pakistani". And something can be offensive without being racist. I think implying that someone is racist is just as bad as an actual racist word. I would be so incredibly offended if anyone ever insinuated that I was a racist. Its not a label that should be given out lightly. I guess thats why I'm so eager to defend Harry. Too bad Harry will have to live with that label for the rest of his life, regardless of what the truth is.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:07 PM
Majesty

The word Paki definitely has racist connotations, even here in Canada. It's definitely not a shortened forum of Pakistani. If you used the word here, you'd get jaw-dropped stares. The word is considered even uglier in the UK according to what I've picked up in different articles. Think of racist words that are used to refer to Jews and people of African descent--it's the same thing.

Personally, I doubt that Harry's racist; and I think that he did use the words in joking way. But he should have been aware of what the reaction would be if the tape was made public. He showed a tremendous lack of judgement IMO. He's apologized, and we should take his apology at face value and hope that this sort of thing doesn't happen again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by christinacg View Post
But the debate is, was it a racist comment? I'm still having a hard time accepting that it was. Maybe I'm as ignorant as you think Harry is, but to me its just another way of saying "Pakistani". .
Old 01-12-2009, 09:11 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naggi View Post
BUT still, you can and should condemn his racist comment!
A racist comment is a comment meant to demean, insult and trash someones ethnic or racial background.
His comment wasn't racist because his intend wasn't. I wish people would stop acting like it was.

Like the article posted by Little Star rightfully says, racism is an experience, not a word.
It's about being discriminated at work, in a restaurant, about being expelled from your country because you belong the the White minority, about people looking at you queer in airplanes, about being singled out for security searches at airports because you're the only non-Caucasian there, about being bullied at school, about being confronted by perfect strangers in the street, about your boyfriend dumping you because his family won't let him marry a White girl, etc.
Quote:
I find it simply unacceptable of some people to underestimate the power of humorous racism.
Racism is never humorous. Some jokes are about races. People who tell them may or may not be racist.
Just like some jokes are about sexual orientation/hair colour/ gender.
You may find such jokes distasteful (many people do) but if we start calling anyone who makes a gay joke an homophobe, a Blond joke a sexist or a Jewish joke a antisemite, we won't see the end of it.
Quote:
I may think that these comments come mostly from people who have never experienced racism, who were never on the other side and who never stood in the focus of such humour.
Everybody has been on the other side. As if racism is the monopole of one ethnicity.
Anyone who lives in a multicultural city has experienced racism. And even if you live in a little town with only 30 people of the same race you have heard it through the media. Have you ever heard an Al-Qaeda broadcast? Nobody needs to be explained what racism and hatred feels like, please stop that patronising.
And do not think for a minute that the British public is nonchalant when it comes to racism. Google Jade Goody to see how real displays of racism is received by the British public.
Quote:
Racist comments are not tolerable. You are not a racist when you do so, but you are not fun either when you do make such a comment.
I agree with the first part, but not with the second. If you make racist comments, you are racist. Of course racism is in the intend.
Quote:
He was not charming at all, but nothing more than a silly boy (which is a real shame, because all the expensive education was for nothing). He made not a good laugh. He IS the laugh, which is a shame.
Ah, the bliss of anonymity, where you have the privilege to make your mistakes and amend in private, without the whole word pouring slime upon you and making assumptions about your IQ.
All of those who are calling him an idiot and generally trashing him silly have I am sure never ever said anything that would sound deeply offensive to anyone.
I am glad such persons exist because it liberates the rest of us flawed mortals from the burden of perfection.

Army launches inquiry into who leaked Prince Harry's Paki Video

It is very sad that Harry cannot trust anyone.
I always gives William a hard time for what I percieved to be his paranoia, but I have to admit he probably has the right attitude.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:26 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idriel View Post
I always gives William a hard time for what I percieved to be his paranoia, but I have to admit he probably has the right attitude.
Yeah its pretty clear that William is a lot more guarded than his brother. Hopefully he can give him some good advice.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:31 PM
Gentry

Having seen the video I think Harry is exhibiting the usual kind of black humour found in the British Army, but he should know better than to use words like Paki, raghead and queer. I don't buy the he was my friend and nicknamed Paki story, sorry.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
That's the one thing that is so sad about this whole thing, I can't believe whoever leaked the video could stoop so low and do such a thing. I believe that it was a nickname, I don't know it's just the tone of his voice but everyone is allowed to have their own opinion I suppose.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:34 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
I hoped it would blow over once he had apologised but it seems to be getting worse...

Only days after the Queen agreed that Prince Harry was sufficiently mature to have his own private office at St James's Palace, he has repaid her trust by plunging the Royal Family into another controversy with his 'Paki' comment.

Prince Harry 'Paki' row: 'He has to learn a painful lesson' - Telegraph
Please correct me if I am wrong but didn't this infamous gaffe occur 3 years ago? And if so, how is that "repaying her trust etc" when he has only been granted a shared private office with his brother this year?
Old 01-12-2009, 11:46 PM
Courtier

I also think it was not Harry's intention to offend someone with his comments. I understand the context within which he used those words and if he were a regular person serving in the Army, all this, of course would be a non-issue. I'm not saying that "Paki" won't be as offensive if uttered by anybody else other than a public figure. The reality, however, is that despite the world's seeming obsession with political correctness, especially when it comes to race, a person belonging to a minority will almost always be called "Fl*p" or "P*ki" or "Ch*nk" a few times in his/her life if residing in or traveling to a place where he/she is a part of a racial minority.

Like a lot of people here, what actually surprises me about this incident is that Harry allowed himself to fall into the habit of using those names and worse, to be caught on camera doing so. Unlike him, I'm a private person who doesn't have the limitations that he does but there's no way I would be able to bring myself to refer to a person with a race-related derogatory name, even in jest. I attribute that to my upbringing and education, both of which taught me that using such names expresses ignorance, insensitivity and bad taste. Harry has had people spend thousands of pounds for his upbringing and education but has he learned that simple lesson? Nope. The boy needs to wisen up and fast.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:05 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
That's the one thing that is so sad about this whole thing, I can't believe whoever leaked the video could stoop so low and do such a thing. I believe that it was a nickname, I don't know it's just the tone of his voice but everyone is allowed to have their own opinion I suppose.
The prince is adult- if he didn't want it to be seen by others he wouldn't have put it on video much less made copies and given then to others that were with him.

The tone of his voice only tells us that HARRY thought it was amusing... I know personally I have not commented when I was the young, minority woman in the room and all my (male) co-workers were making sexist comments. I didn't complain or speak up because I wanted to get my job done.

Yeah, the guy they are nicknaming can complain but after that he's always going to be marked as a tattletale or a bad sport. I can see why he wouldn't want to piss off someone he is going into combat with who might be watching his back.

IMO they were really asking for this video to be seen. Expecting those that aren't with the troop (or whatever it's called) he was with to understand automatically all the innuendo is a major mistake.

I don't blame whoever put out this video... I blame the people who taped the video to start with. No one forced Prince Harry to make those comments. He is an adult and should be called to answer for his actions whether they are good or bad.
-Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 01-13-2009, 12:16 AM
Heir Apparent

Whose to say Harry made copies of the video? As for a complain being made if it truly bothered the guy I don't think he would have kept his mouth shut for so long,considering the way the media works he could have gotten the message across one way or another if he desperately wanted to complain. I don't think Harry ever dreamed of the video leaking let alone such an uproar to be made of it, ya I agree he should have been more careful of the words he used while being on camera but I highly doubt he was trying to offend anyone, yes how can you draw a conclusion from such a short video but at the same time you can't draw conclusions that he was really trying to hurt someone.

Closed Thread

Tags
prince harry, scandal, video