The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 12:01 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
I wonder why News of the World didn't include the latter part of the tape, which included the part with him picking on the other guy in a way that questioned his buddy's sexuality. Would that have been too "hot to handle", even for a tabloid like NotW?
Again, he wasn't serious. Guys joke about that with their buddies all the time. I hear it all the time.

Old 01-12-2009, 12:04 AM
Heir Presumptive

To be honest id never heard that term until All this

Old 01-12-2009, 12:11 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by christinacg View Post
Again, he wasn't serious. Guys joke about that with their buddies all the time. I hear it all the time.
Maybe, but when you're a royal, you must be careful about what you say.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:13 AM
Courtier

I think I might start suing every time someone calls me a Pomm.
Or then again I might just ignore it and move on.
From what I understand this tape was made three years ago, why on earth are the papers reporting now?
Old 01-12-2009, 12:17 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisscross1 View Post
From what I understand this tape was made three years ago, why on earth are the papers reporting now?
Perhaps they just got it.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:32 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel View Post
Until Harry's tape, I never heard anybody but Pakis use the term Paki and I'm sure they didn't mean it offensively.

So I was a bit confused about this incident. Perhaps the term has different connotations in Britain but here we don't hear it that much except from the people themselves.
As wbenson says, it has very different connotations in Britain, although Harry might be a bit young to remember the worst of them.

paki-bashing - Wiktionary
Old 01-12-2009, 12:59 AM
Courtier

I did not know really what is the mean of "r*ghead" until now I am not sure that I understand, but in Arabic newspaper today they explained it as a a racist term against Taleban and Arab, first I know that Tableban is not a race therefore I am until now not really sure of the meaning , but I can conclude that the word used usually in offensive matter.

Prince Harry did not invent the term "P*ki" but for sure he use it !
and I read on the net and in this thread that some people from UK think it is not a big deal, therefore I am until now not sure if the wrong is from prince Harry or from the society who think it is ok to use the term but not in public !

Oh my god it is really confusing .
Old 01-12-2009, 01:07 AM
Majesty

Especially when you're making films!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieS View Post
Maybe, but when you're a royal, you must be careful about what you say.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:26 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Especially when you're making films!
Spot on! Harry has no one but himself to blame, if he wants to make remarks that are possibly racist he shouldn't do so on tape!
Im my opinion it doesn't matter who gave the tape to who etc Harry is the only one to blame for this mess really.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:46 AM
Heir Apparent

Come on, so now he can't even make private tapes without being scared that it might leak, I think it's ridiculous because when Harry said those things I'm sure the last thing on his mind was that this private tape was going to get onto the internet, and cause such a fuss I don't know whether this tape was Harry or someone else's(if it was someone else's tape then maybe Harry is partially to blame I'm sure he knows how things can get online but I'd be very angry at whichever of his friends leaked it) but I still think it's being made into a bigger deal then it actually is IMO

Quote:
exactly, I hear it all the time, I just think and without everyone biting my head off it's ridiculous that some people wish for Harry to be so careful all the time I mean the more I hear about it the more I feel like people are expecting him to be alret all the time, I feel like there's no way for him to have fun without being scared of saying something bad.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:01 AM
Nobility

I agree that the racist part of this is being blow out of proportion. All i meant before was that making a video like this is likely to lead to trouble. Yes HArry has the right to a private life - and if he had made these comments privaetly without being videoed then there wouldn't be near as bigger story atm. All i was saying is that making a video like this was not a good idea and has created more trouble than its worth and its not wholly unreasonable to say that Harry (or his advisors) could have foreseen that and warned him).
Harry has to realise that he isn't just another soilder, he isnt just an ordinary young man, he is royal and has to accept that and the responisbilty that comes with that in return for the privilidges it brings.
And i dont think this incident comes under the theme "having fun", yes he can have fun but there is simply NO NEED to sue language like he did so why use it?
Old 01-12-2009, 02:48 AM
Heir Apparent

I couldn't care personally, I just found the mock call to 'Granny' quite amusing...lol.

I've never been an admirer of William or Harry, as such, but do note the good works they do and in this regard I give credit where credit is due. As for anything else, they're socialites with titles. An unfortunate truth of social "evolution" in a mass media world it would seem. Especially where the monarchy and youth are concerned. Of course, that's just my opinion...

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 01-12-2009, 03:07 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy1716 View Post
I agree that the racist part of this is being blow out of proportion. All i meant before was that making a video like this is likely to lead to trouble. Yes HArry has the right to a private life - and if he had made these comments privaetly without being videoed then there wouldn't be near as bigger story atm. All i was saying is that making a video like this was not a good idea and has created more trouble than its worth and its not wholly unreasonable to say that Harry (or his advisors) could have foreseen that and warned him).
Harry has to realise that he isn't just another soilder, he isnt just an ordinary young man, he is royal and has to accept that and the responisbilty that comes with that in return for the privilidges it brings.
And i dont think this incident comes under the theme "having fun", yes he can have fun but there is simply NO NEED to sue language like he did so why use it?
I understand what your saying, I'm not sure why he used it, I know this is a long shot but perhaps he didn't realize the harm the word would cause,maybe he didn't know it was seen as a bad word. I had never even heard of he word before this incident, again it's a long shot.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:35 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
I couldn't care personally, I just found the mock call to 'Granny' quite amusing...lol.
Well, it seems that even in his silly Army youth, when three years ago seems like forever ago, Harry was an equal opportunity 'ist!

He even took the p*** out of his own situation as the grandson of Her Majesty (Commander in Chief or equivilent), sending his up relationship with her as well!

That being the case, if what he said has been confirmed to be offensive and insensitive not only is he a racist, but also an anarchist!
That it took only 3 years to discover this concerns me deeply.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:08 AM
Heir Apparent

I'm just going to add one more thing before I leave for the night and that is that I don't think we can draw any real conclusions from this tape, I mean first off it was 3 years ago and I strongly believe Harry has changed alot since then and like I've said countless of times since this has leaked that it seems as though everything in that tape was made in a humorous manner, I mean I respect if people were offended by it but personally I didn't see the big deal when I watched it anyways that's all from me for now hopefully this will have died down by tomorrow.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:14 AM
Heir Presumptive

Storm in a tea cup.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:15 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I am glad that he apologized, but notice that he again used that "if" that was used in his apology about the Nazi uniform.
I believe this i more to show that he was in more or less good faith when he said/did this and is now a bit shocked that people find it offensive but that in this case he of course apologizes. As in: I have a good character at heart and made an error in judgment.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:22 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
That article is the best what could have happened to Harry. The media will now realise that the Britons most probably will close their ranks around their prince after he has been attacked so "merciless" by the other officer's family - as they can't do the same as their readers, they'll let the topic die down pretty soon.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:40 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbenson View Post
Perhaps they just got it.

Got the tape or got the joke?????
Either way it's old and boring news.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:14 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisscross1 View Post
Got the tape or got the joke?????
Either way it's old and boring news.
Iain Martin's blog in the Telegraph dated 11 January 2009 says it all "Harry Circus Shames Journalism".

Sorry I still haven't mastered the art of puting in a link.

Tags
prince harry, scandal, video