Prince Harry Current Events 26: January 2012-April 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
MY RANT
"The royal family does not need the media to do their job BUT the media needs them to sell their papers."

I couldn't disagree more. Without media exposure this family would be "out of sight, out of mind" and I suspect, out of business! They would become extinct or perhaps thought irrelevant since they are no longer providing the gossip people seem to crave. A growing number question their existence, they need to constantly remind them that they are a viable option, for at least, England. If this family did not occupy so much media space, would England attract as much attention as it gets? I think they know this and will do deals with the media/devil. Think of it as "you scratch my back and I will scratch yours"...but we all know the media has challenges with boundaries and promises :)

Would you prefer that Harry beat his chest and cried because his job involved killing people??? Much like surgeons, police, fire and others tend to have ghoulish humor in response to what they often see in their jobs. Most of the military tend to play down what they do and what they see in a war zone as a sort of self-protective measure and to keep the horrors of war from their families.

As for the Tailban - their objective was to kill Prince Harry. Instead he killed them.
Don't forget, the Tailban is behind all the attacks on little girls attending school - such as throwing acid on their faces.

Yes, that's it exactly. These soldiers must have a real disconnect between what they are doing and what they are thinking in order to do it. That's the reality of the battlefield. I can't fault Harry here for thinking what all soldiers need to think in order to carry on. To me, this is all a "you can't handle the truth" moment. If you are going to kill someone else, even an enemy, you have to have this video game disconnect, unless you are a sociopath.

Amazing how editing can change things. Thank you Dman for a great link. Henry is clearly more articulate in this story. He is definitely more relaxed talking about his work in the military rather than answering questions about his private life and family, where his speech accelerates and his words fail him. Poor guy, he almost becomes a nervous wreck!

Excellent interview. I didn't get any sense that he was angry or whining about anything. Pretty matter of fact about it all.

LaRae

Amazing how editing can change things. Thank you Dman for a great link. Henry is clearly more articulate in this story. He is definitely more relaxed talking about his work in the military rather than answering questions about his private life and family, ...

Agreed, IME, if the press wants to spin a story a certain way, they won't let the facts get in their way. That has to be frustrating, no matter what you do, or what you say, they will seize on one sentence, or one action, taken out of context, and create huge 'issues' over it.
Reminds me of when in a series of 20 pictures of someone smiling in 19 and not smiling in 1, they'll run the non smiling picture and declare so and so is not happy and go on to speculate as to the causes - usually citing mythical sources re: the cause of their unhappiness.

Amen to that.
Terrific post and very well stated.

Yes, I believe they are all somewhat conflicted. They all want to be good at their jobs and enjoy their jobs, but that is not to say they are sociopaths that enjoy killing!

My take on the interviews was that Harry got a chance to do what no other member of the BRF has. He got to show them just what he thought of them on a personal level and let's be honest, his personal experience of their lack of common decency and even legality has been far greater than most people, royal, political or celebrity.

He also got to show his personal contempt for the media by exposing the amoral reason there even was an interview, let alone in such a place. Common Blackmail! Why the hell should he be gracious? Why should there have had to be an agreement not to blow his (and everybody else's) cover in a war zone.

Personally I am amazed at the posts complaining that Harry was rude or ungracious to the media. Was it rude to tell them, and the world, the only reason he was actually doing the interviews in the first place.

Finally....A post that actually got the heart of the matter of Harry's demeanour during the interview. That is the exact same feeling I got from it too and ITA. Why should he have to do this even to begin w/? I believe the *only* reason he did it, was to keep his fellow Servicemen and Women safe from the so called Journalists from otherwise following Harry's every move in an attempt at a Front Page Scoop and in return, endangering every single person who w/him at that moment.

I don't blame him one bit for his tone, nor for him calling the Press out either. He was NOT whining by the way, but to each their own.

It's funny, but I've always gotten the opinion of the two brothers that Harry was the one that was just a wee bit more affected by the loss of his Mother. William being a little bit older, at least had her there during the majority of those wretched horrible teen years when so much changes. Harry didn't and I sometimes wonder if that's a part behind some of what has happened over the years w/some of his antics.

Mind you, the trip to Vegas I actually think wouldn't have been *as* bad possibly if his PPO officers had done their job regarding the strip billards game and Smart Phones, but that's for another thread....

Anyway...I've been up all night watching the Aussie Open, so hopefully I'm making sense here. It is awfully interesting how some people view things, isn't it?

Last edited:
Harry also made the point that people's reaction to the Vegas pictures changed when they realised a short time later that it was a final few days of fun before he went to Afghanistan. He points out that the media knew he was going to Afghanistan when they chose to run those pictures. They chose to hang him out to dry for letting his family and his country down, knowing that he would be in Afghanistan within days.

I caught a bit of Erin Burnett on CNN last night and she said that Harry had "boasted" about killing Taliban. I wonder what interview she saw? I saw Harry responding very matter-of-factly to a question his interviewer put to him. He also said that that wasn't why he chose to become an Apache pilot. He didn't join the Army to kill people, but to protect his comrades when people are trying to kill them.

I caught a bit of Erin Burnett on CNN last night and she said that Harry had "boasted" about killing Taliban. I wonder what interview she saw? I saw Harry responding very matter-of-factly to a question his interviewer put to him. He also said that that wasn't why he chose to become an Apache pilot. He didn't join the Army to kill people, but to protect his comrades when people are trying to kill them.

Harry should be smart enough by now that he cannot expect his words not to be twisted or interpreted in a negative way by the media or those who want to use Harry's statements for their own agenda. His intention may have been good and honest but that doesnt matter.

That's why I thought that he should have stayed clear of such a sensible subject, killing people (being talibans or not) and make a reference to computer games.

He shot himself in the foot with such statements because people might become rubbed the wrong way and not only draw their own conclusion but take action (I read that Harry's security is likely to be stepped up).

He should be careful not to invite strangers to his pool parties again, some of the girls might have warmed up to the taliban ideas and than that's the end of Harry and his security officers not properly doing their job.

Harry should be smart enough by now that he cannot expect his words not to be twisted or interpreted in a negative way by the media or those who want to use Harry's statements for their own agenda. His intention may have been good and honest but that doesnt matter.

That's why I thought that he should have stayed clear of such a sensible subject, killing people (being talibans or not) and make a reference to computer games.

He shot himself in the foot with such statements because people might become rubbed the wrong way and not only draw their own conclusion but take action (I read that Harry's security is likely to be stepped up).

He should be careful not to invite strangers to his pool parties again, some of the girls might have warmed up to the taliban ideas and than that's the end of Harry and his security officers not properly doing their job.[/QUOTE]

Increased security Pure speculation by a former officer who has no inside track and was paid for saying this.

Pool parties I suggest no pool parties and trips to Vegas at all.

Security officers - I think he is getting new ones

He should be careful not to invite strangers to his pool parties again, some of the girls might have warmed up to the taliban ideas and than that's the end of Harry and his security officers not properly doing their job.

What was he supposed to be talking about then?? As far as I can tell the interviews were supposed to be about his time in Afghanistan so how do people reckon he talks about it when he's not allowed to mention any of the things soldiers do when they go to war.

It doesn't matter what he says, the press will use it against him no matter what and people will think what they want. I saw a comment in the Guardian (I think) saying he is "severely intellectually challenged". He may not test well but neither does my niece and she has an iq of 142.

For him (and others in this situation) this is a lose lose situation and it must be frustrating.

Richard Palmer@RoyalReporter
Prince Harry will arrive back at RAF Brize Norton in the UK this afternoon after his tour of duty in Afghanistan.

Harry is not expected to be met by members of his family when he arrives at Brize Norton in Oxfordshire, royal sources say.

Prince Harry is expected to travel on to his base in Suffolk with the rest of his unit after landing and giving an interview.

BBC News - Prince Harry heading home after Afghanistan deployment

I love the BBC - they have actually quoted what he said!

On his role in Afghanistan, the prince said: "We fire when we have to, take a life to save a life, but essentially we're more of a deterrent than anything else."

I love the BBC - they have actually quoted what he said!

On his role in Afghanistan, the prince said: "We fire when we have to, take a life to save a life, but essentially we're more of a deterrent than anything else."

That's what the sky interview had as well, CNN must have made their own version up.

RETURNING HOME UPDATES!
1; He's due back this afternoon "in a few hours"
2; He will not meet his family at Brize Norton
3; He will travel to Wattisham with his regiment, before that the press HOPE for a quick interview.
4; He'll spend the next few days at Wattisham then enjoy five weeks leave.

I read this twice - just to make sure:-
Richard Palmer‏@RoyalReporter
@GuyCraft He's obliged to give an interview under the terms of an agreement between the media and the Ministry of Defence on his deployment.

Obliged - as in no choice. No wonder he's hissed off.

I read this twice - just to make sure:-
Richard Palmer‏@RoyalReporter
@GuyCraft He's obliged to give an interview under the terms of an agreement between the media and the Ministry of Defence on his deployment.

Obliged - as in no choice. No wonder he's hissed off.

But that's the terms, that why he could go out there for five months, give 3 interviews, 2 whilst out there and one when he got back. Henry himself said as much on the Sky interview I saw. There's got to be give an take. I personally think he should have been allowed to give an interview before leaving and one when he got home, not in a war zone where he should be doing his job.

Don't you think that there is something fundamentally wrong with the MOD having to negotiate terms with the media in order to manage the deployment of a full-time service officer?

They obviously felt they had to because the media are so (blank-blank) irresponsible.

And he has to go through with it.

Don't you think that there is something fundamentally wrong with the MOD having to negotiate terms with the media in order to manage the deployment of a full-time service officer?

They obviously felt they had to because the media are so (blank-blank) irresponsible.

And he has to go through with it.

You do know who this full time service officer is don't you? There is nothing "normal" about this situation or his deployment. Henry knew what he would have to sacrifice so he could back out there again, he said yes. Like I said it would have been sensible for the interviews to be done when he got back not whilst he was there.

RETURN UPDATE: Henry is due back at 4:30pm British time, so fan girls have for about an hour and 20 to appear at Brize Norton ;)

Last edited:
:previous: So does this mean a parade will be at a later stage, or there won't be one?

:previous: So does this mean a parade will be at a later stage, or there won't be one?

No parade has been spoken of. There might be one when his tour is "officially" over next week.

Will the interview be BBC and Sky News?

Gordon Rayner@gordonrayner
Prince Harry expected to land back in the UK at about 4.30pm.

HE'S HOME!! His plane arrived a few minutes ago.

Prince Harry has arrived at RAF Brize Norton.

My guess they are setting up the interview and waiting for Harry to get off the plane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom