The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #721  
Old 01-26-2013, 09:49 AM
Artemisia's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Yerevan, Armenia
Posts: 5,421
Guys, you do realise that video is fake? The sound effects, at least.
At one point during the interview the alert was sounded and everyone (Harry included) had to immediately report to their posts.
__________________

  #722  
Old 01-26-2013, 12:34 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 4,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
Guys, you do realise that video is fake? The sound effects, at least.
At one point during the interview the alert was sounded and everyone (Harry included) had to immediately report to their posts.
The things I miss watching videos without sound eh? One thing I did recognize though is the look on Harry's face. All serious and putting on the mental frame of mind of full alert. I've seen it all too often when the fire and rescue sirens and calls have gone off here. One track mind... get down to what they need to do.
__________________

__________________
“We live in a world where we have to hide to make love, while violence is practiced in broad daylight.”
~~~ John Lennon ~~~
  #723  
Old 01-26-2013, 01:03 PM
susan alicia's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: , Netherlands
Posts: 2,528
Harry's an officer but not much of a gentleman | Mail Online
I agree with what amanda platell says in this article, I know professional soldiers who never talk in private about these things let alone in public. I think it is immature of Harry, unmasculine even.


.................Take, for example, the way he revealed he had killed Taliban by 'taking them out of the game', as though warfare was just another video game. How desperately insensitive and reckless.
We all know that warfare is a dirty business and soldiers have their own way of discussing it among themselves. But never in public and certainly not when casually boastful comments will endanger the lives of those still on the frontline........
__________________
  #724  
Old 01-26-2013, 01:23 PM
Dman's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 7,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan alicia View Post
Harry's an officer but not much of a gentleman | Mail Online
I agree with what amanda platell says in this article, I know professional soldiers who never talk in private about these things let alone in public. I think it is immature of Harry, unmasculine even.


.................Take, for example, the way he revealed he had killed Taliban by 'taking them out of the game', as though warfare was just another video game. How desperately insensitive and reckless.

We all know that warfare is a dirty business and soldiers have their own way of discussing it among themselves. But never in public and certainly not when casually boastful comments will endanger the lives of those still on the frontline........
I honestly don't think Harry meant any harm in what he said. The press is milking this interview a bit too much, IMO.

Although I do think the Vegas incident was very much his and friends fault. I just don't think he liked that the Sun ran the photos.
__________________
  #725  
Old 01-26-2013, 01:58 PM
nascarlucy's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Central Florida Area, United States
Posts: 1,356
What did this reporter want Prince Harry to say? Sounds like the reporter didn't like his response. He's in a war zone and in a war zone people on both sides fire weapons at each other and sometimes people get injured or killed in the process. That is how it is and I'm not saying this to be insensitive to anyone or offend anyone. Neither side is there to make friends.

I've heard much stronger language which could not be repeated on this forums among people I've known in the military who have served in Afghanistan and who have been in similiar situations as he has. I don't know why his comments to some are controversial. They were very mild comments about the situation IMO.
__________________
  #726  
Old 01-26-2013, 02:36 PM
cepe's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 4,666
I dont understand it either. After all, he is an Apache co-pilot gunner
__________________

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
  #727  
Old 01-26-2013, 02:52 PM
Elenath's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Nuth, Netherlands
Posts: 337
Some people just don't like to be confronted with reality. They now it's there, they just don't want it said out loud. If no one talks about it it's less real I guess.
And perhaps for other people the image of cute prince Harry who kills people doesn't add up. Cute princes don't kill people... prince charming doesn't kill people either. I suppose Harry should just cuddle people to death in Afghanistan.
__________________
  #728  
Old 01-26-2013, 03:06 PM
SLV's Avatar
SLV SLV is offline
Courtier
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Posts: 682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elenath View Post
Some people just don't like to be confronted with reality. They now it's there, they just don't want it said out loud. If no one talks about it it's less real I guess.
And perhaps for other people the image of cute prince Harry who kills people doesn't add up. Cute princes don't kill people... prince charming doesn't kill people either. I suppose Harry should just cuddle people to death in Afghanistan.
The knowledge that someone you know has been to a war area and has consiously killed people is a painful thought. On the one hand he/she is a murderer (harsh word, but true), on the other hand he/she is still your friend and the same as he/she ever was (to you). This results in very conflicting emotions.

The same applies to Harry and how we see him.
__________________
  #729  
Old 01-26-2013, 03:32 PM
EIIR's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Somewhere, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,621
Colonel Tim Collins wrote in the Daily Mail the other day that Harry was talking about these issues just in the same way any other soldier does. They use terms like "taking them out of the game" to basically see themselves through their time in that utter hellhole. It's a psychological technique that soldiers use to survive and to try and not go completely potty. Harry and his colleagues were not there for peacekeeping, or UN humanitarian assistance. This is kill-or-be-killed combat with an enemy who think nothing at all of beheading women for the 'crime' of having been a victim of rape.

BBC3 had a series of documentaries where they were embedded with a group of British soldiers in Helmand, on the ground, getting shot at, losing comrades and trying to go about their job of making that country a safer place for its citizens in 40 degree heat. Anyone who thinks what Harry said was bad, I can only assume, has never actually spent any time with a real soldier who's had to use their weapon outside their training grounds.
__________________
  #730  
Old 01-26-2013, 04:08 PM
Dman's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 7,417
The media's just picking on Harry and trying to make it seem like he's not taking the war very serious. He pretty much spoke as a soldier, not as Prince Henry of Wales. I guess the media wasn't expecting that.
__________________
  #731  
Old 01-26-2013, 04:28 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto (ON) & London (UK), Canada
Posts: 5,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elenath View Post
Some people just don't like to be confronted with reality. They now it's there, they just don't want it said out loud. If no one talks about it it's less real I guess.
And perhaps for other people the image of cute prince Harry who kills people doesn't add up. Cute princes don't kill people... prince charming doesn't kill people either. I suppose Harry should just cuddle people to death in Afghanistan.
I quite agree. Its almost as if people think the soldiers in Afghansitan are just rounding up the Taliban and saying "now you guys have been very naughty (IEDs, shootings, rapes etc), go into a corner for a time out and stay there until you are ready to apologize". Somehow war has become so sanitized its as if people do not realize that people die in a war, and that Harry and the others face it every day they are in the war zone. If he or his compatriots are being attacked, obviously they fire back and yes that means people get killed. Is reality so difficult for some people?
__________________
  #732  
Old 01-26-2013, 04:37 PM
Elenath's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Nuth, Netherlands
Posts: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
I quite agree. Its almost as if people think the soldiers in Afghansitan are just rounding up the Taliban and saying "now you guys have been very naughty (IEDs, shootings, rapes etc), go into a corner for a time out and stay there until you are ready to apologize".
I couldn't help it... This conjured up some image of them being send to the naughty chair. Perhaps we should send Supernanny...
__________________
  #733  
Old 01-26-2013, 04:50 PM
cepe's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 4,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLV View Post
The knowledge that someone you know has been to a war area and has consiously killed people is a painful thought. On the one hand he/she is a murderer (harsh word, but true), on the other hand he/she is still your friend and the same as he/she ever was (to you). This results in very conflicting emotions.

The same applies to Harry and how we see him.
I want to state my belief that the military, under orders, are not murderers. They are being asked to do very difficult things, under difficult circumstances, on behalf of the UN and/or their country.
__________________

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
  #734  
Old 01-26-2013, 04:56 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: ......, Argentina
Posts: 1,383
I am glad posters are putting Platell in her place. DM is known for sugaring the RF but when it comes to Harry they can be cruel. He seems to be the exception. I like one comment in particular from a soldier who said that is the way they refer to war, probably not in public, and that this interview should have been made in the UK, 15 days after his arrival.

I wonder who was the brain who had the idea of making this interview in the middle of a war zone. Guys are under much more pressure there. And Harry needs some PR advice soon. He has to learn to avoid this kind of questions in a diplomatic way.
__________________
  #735  
Old 01-26-2013, 04:58 PM
Dman's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 7,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
I want to state my belief that the military, under orders, are not murderers. They are being asked to do very difficult things, under difficult circumstances, on behalf of the UN and/or their country.
War is one of those horrible things that reigns upon this Earth, IMO. Either way you look at it, it's humans killing each other.
__________________
  #736  
Old 01-26-2013, 05:02 PM
cepe's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 4,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
War is one of those horrible things that reigns upon this Earth, IMO. Either way you look at it, it's humans killing each other.
I agree war is a terrible thing
__________________

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
  #737  
Old 01-26-2013, 05:07 PM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carlton, York, United Kingdom
Posts: 17,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosana View Post
I wonder who was the brain who had the idea of making this interview in the middle of a war zone.
The only way Henry was allowed back into Afghanistan again was with the cooperation of the media, he had to give 3 interviews I believe. 2 in Afghanisatan (personally I have no idea why they couldn't do a before and after), and one when he got back.

--------------------------

Anyone who expected Henry to get a peaceful welcome, was deluded. Everyone word any royal says is analysed to death and Henry spoke more like a soldier, than a Prince and frankly he's a Prince first. Whilst I agree that it's their way of dealing with things out there, we don't understand the "dealing with" process, so we interrupt the whole playing a game thing differently.
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
  #738  
Old 01-26-2013, 05:39 PM
EIIR's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Somewhere, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,621
The interviews were done while he was serving because it gives the public the best insight into what he and his comrades are actually doing. An interview in Clarence House wouldn't have been nearly so resonant. It allowed Harry to show us the helicopter he flies, what he gets up to on his downtime, what his living conditions are like.

The press will have wanted to see him in action, not in a suit and tie in London after the fact. They agreed not to write about Harry's deployment before he went and so they wanted their payoff.

Also, and this should not be underestimated, it's a huge PR boost for the Army at a time of serious budget cuts and a general malaise in the public's support toward a conflict that's been going for almost 12 years now and cost hundreds of British lives.
__________________
  #739  
Old 01-26-2013, 05:40 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 4,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Anyone who expected Henry to get a peaceful welcome, was deluded. Everyone word any royal says is analysed to death and Henry spoke more like a soldier, than a Prince and frankly he's a Prince first. Whilst I agree that it's their way of dealing with things out there, we don't understand the "dealing with" process, so we interrupt the whole playing a game thing differently.
On the "taking them out of the game" thing, TBH, all I could think of was probably how they were trained at first. With flight simulators, war game simulators etc. Many of the popular computer and game system creations also are along these lines and in 3D almost virtual reality. It would make sense to refer to actual combat and hitting the target as "taking them out of the game" to me. These soldiers have to depersonalize their missions or the emotional stress can get to be way too much to handle. They see "targets" just as when we see "media" we don't think of Richard Kay or a reporter by name but just the press as a whole.

Of course Harry is a prince first and a soldier second but at the time of the interview, he was very much a soldier on active duty and not the Prince Henry that we saw close the Summer Olympics. He was speaking as a British soldier stationed in a war zone.
__________________
“We live in a world where we have to hide to make love, while violence is practiced in broad daylight.”
~~~ John Lennon ~~~
  #740  
Old 01-26-2013, 05:46 PM
Elenath's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Nuth, Netherlands
Posts: 337
I just realized that while people here (and in other places) keep saying he is still a prince first, that is not true when he is in a war zone. There he is a soldier first and that is how it should be. When he is there that is where his responsibilities lie and for people expecting it to be the other way around would be dangerous for the people he works with.
__________________

__________________
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary, Current Events Part 9: Sept 2012 - dazzling Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary and Family 225 11-21-2014 06:57 AM
Earl and Countess of Wessex & Family Current Events 14: January 2013 - December 2013 Zonk Current Events Archive 875 01-01-2014 02:21 PM
British Royal Family current events 5: July 2011- March 2013 wbenson British Royals 1204 04-01-2013 07:35 AM
Charlotte Casiraghi Current Events Part 37: March 2012 - March 2013 iceflower Current Events Archive 806 04-01-2013 05:53 AM
Crown Prince Frederik and Mary Donaldson, Current Events 1: September 2002 - May 2004 Lorraine Current Events Archive 506 05-07-2004 12:03 AM




Popular Tags
belgium brussels carl philip charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events engagement fashion genealogy germany grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta sofia jordan king carl xvi gustav king constantine ii king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander letizia luxembourg nobility official visit olympic games ottoman pieter van vollenhoven poland president hollande prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince constantijn prince daniel prince floris prince pieter-christiaan princess aimee princess anita princess ariane princess astrid princess beatrix princess catharina-amalia princess charlene princess mabel princess madeleine princess margriet princess mary queen anne-marie queen fabiola queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen silvia queen sofia royal royal fashion russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit sweden the hague wedding winter olympics 2014



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:02 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]