The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 05:48 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
If the monarchy didn't exist, the media would survive just fine for instance look at the countries that don't have a monarchy. The Monarchy would be quite helpless if they went out to a royal engagement and found nobody their but little children with flowers. They need coverage.
The press will never stop covering the monarchy. Ever. It's not like if the media is forced into granting the royal family a greater degree of privacy they'll say, "oh well then, we're not going to cover them at all, see how they like that!" They'll take what they can get because any amount of coverage of the young royals especially is more profitable than none at all.

Old 01-22-2013, 06:27 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
“It’s a joy for me because I’m one of those people who loves playing PlayStation and Xbox," the 28-year-old said. "So with my thumbs I like to think I’m probably quite useful."
This quote, btw, is rather troublesome. The Taliban even went out of their way to make a statement.

Quote:
“To describe the war in Afghanistan as a game demeans anyone—especially a prince, who is supposed to be made of better things.”
Mujahid continued: “It shows the lack of understanding, of knowledge. It shows they are unfamiliar with the situation and shows why they are losing. ... It’s not a game. It’s very, very real."
This whole interview has not shown him in a good light to me, at all.

Old 01-22-2013, 06:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucien View Post
Welcome Home Captain Wales!!!
Amen to that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee27 View Post
MY RANT
Why does Harry "owe" anything to the press? As a Prince in direct lie to the throne he should have a sense of duty to the people in Britain and the Commonwealth which means making appearances, cutting ribbons and eating lots of chicken dinners (and also putting his life on the line). Doing his job as a member of the royal family does not translate into becoming a media whore. Just because the media feels they are owed interviews on any and all subjects does not translate into a duty on the part of the royal family to do so. The Queen does not feel duty bound to grant interviews. Nor should any other member of the royal family. The royal family does not need the media to do their job BUT the media needs them to sell their papers. In this 24/7 media circus, if there isn't a story, you can count on someone in the media to create a story.
Terrific post and very well stated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elenath View Post
I don't think Harry (nor any of his fellow soldiers) enjoy the actual killing but I bet they do love their job and they should. I like my job even though there are certain aspects I like less. As for whether he feels guilty or uncomfortable.. I would expect them to feel something and those feelings might be conflicting and that's fine. I distrust someone who kills and feels nothing.
Yes, I believe they are all somewhat conflicted. They all want to be good at their jobs and enjoy their jobs, but that is not to say they are sociopaths that enjoy killing!

My take on the interviews was that Harry got a chance to do what no other member of the BRF has. He got to show them just what he thought of them on a personal level and let's be honest, his personal experience of their lack of common decency and even legality has been far greater than most people, royal, political or celebrity.

He also got to show his personal contempt for the media by exposing the amoral reason there even was an interview, let alone in such a place. Common Blackmail! Why the hell should he be gracious? Why should there have had to be an agreement not to blow his (and everybody else's) cover in a war zone.

Personally I am amazed at the posts complaining that Harry was rude or ungracious to the media. Was it rude to tell them, and the world, the only reason he was actually doing the interviews in the first place.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
This is contrary to human nature and how men and women who go to war and pull triggers actually feel.
I'm not exactly sure what you're getting at. Surely no-one is so naive as to join the army and train as a helicopter gunner and not know their job is to kill other people. People's responses to combat vary though, and the military is very aware of the issues and they are well equipped to deal with them, having carried out numerous studies.

It is now well known that soldiers have to be trained to kill. They are taught how to overcome the natural aversion to killing other humans. The military also now knows the importance of debriefing after the event, before the soldiers return home, to address their issues, and that's why he's in Cyprus.

Some references of the numerous available on the internet:

Hope on the Battlefield | Greater Good
On Killing-the psychological kost
BBC News - How soldiers deal with the job of killing
Historical group debriefing after combat exposure. [Mil Med. 1998] - PubMed - NCBI
Old 01-22-2013, 06:48 PM
Aristocracy

Would you prefer that Harry beat his chest and cried because his job involved killing people??? Much like surgeons, police, fire and others tend to have ghoulish humor in response to what they often see in their jobs. Most of the military tend to play down what they do and what they see in a war zone as a sort of self-protective measure and to keep the horrors of war from their families.

As for the Tailban - their objective was to kill Prince Harry. Instead he killed them.
Don't forget, the Tailban is behind all the attacks on little girls attending school - such as throwing acid on their faces.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
I'm not exactly sure what you're getting at. Surely no-one is so naive as to join the army and train as a helicopter gunner and not know their job is to kill other people. People's responses to combat vary though, and the military is very aware of the issues and they are well equipped to deal with them, having carried out numerous studies.

It is now well known that soldiers have to be trained to kill. They are taught how to overcome the natural aversion to killing other humans. The military also now knows the importance of debriefing after the event, before the soldiers return home, to address their issues, and that's why he's in Cyprus.
I don't think there are many service men and women that have gone to the war zones and actually enjoyed killing the enemy. Its why, as you said, they are expertly trained and need a period of debriefing and adjustment to civilian life after a tour of duty. I heard one returning vet of Afghanistan state just how one's frame of mind is in a war zone succinctly. Simply put, he stated "We're not there because we hate who is in front of us but because we love who is behind us."
Old 01-22-2013, 07:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress Merel View Post
This quote, btw, is rather troublesome. The Taliban even went out of their way to make a statement.

Harry wasn't being flippant about the war, he was being flippant about his skills. The BBC programme I watched emphasised how skilled Harry must be to take the front seat in an Apache as he is only co-pilot. Very rare event. He is not going to sing his own praises so he is flippant about his skills - honed he is saying by playing computer games.

Its a light hearted approach to something he takes seriously. Lots of young men do this. It is also a very British approach IMO.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 01-22-2013, 07:29 PM
Nobility

He is more aware of his surroundings, and those interviewing him ask him questions like, "What he thought about the palaces announcement of the baby?". He is obviously happy for his brother, but people are dying all around, and people are specifically trying to get him. Being asked tabloid questions in the middle of a war zone could be slightly annoying!
Old 01-22-2013, 08:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

Since when have the Taliban held the moral high ground on anything and why should we care what they think?
Old 01-22-2013, 08:30 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Except you see The Queen on a day to day basis throughout the year, you do not see Prince Henry, William or Catherine because they're tucked away "having a life". They are allowed some privacy, especially in a warzone (personally I think those interviews should have gone on after he got home). But they're public figures, they're part of our monarchy and they need to be seen to be "believed" as it were. 2012 was full of royal interviews, from everyone except The Queen but then it was her "celebration".

If the monarchy didn't exist, the media would survive just fine for instance look at the countries that don't have a monarchy. The Monarchy would be quite helpless if they went out to a royal engagement and found nobody their but little children with flowers. They need coverage.
Quote:

So unfortunate Harry offended the Taliban's delicate sensibilities. I certainly hope they didn't have to take time out of their busy schedule of beating women and shooting children to make this statement.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:54 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelot23ca View Post
So unfortunate Harry offended the Taliban's delicate sensibilities. I certainly hope they didn't have to take time out of their busy schedule of beating women and shooting children to make this statement.
Right on !!!!!
Old 01-22-2013, 10:10 PM
Courtier

[QUOTE=Lee27;1507963]MY RANT
"The royal family does not need the media to do their job BUT the media needs them to sell their papers."

I couldn't disagree more. Without media exposure this family would be "out of sight, out of mind" and I suspect, out of business! They would become extinct or perhaps thought irrelevant since they are no longer providing the gossip people seem to crave. A growing number question their existence, they need to constantly remind them that they are a viable option, for at least, England. If this family did not occupy so much media space, would England attract as much attention as it gets? I think they know this and will do deals with the media/devil. Think of it as "you scratch my back and I will scratch yours"...but we all know the media has challenges with boundaries and promises :-)
Old 01-22-2013, 10:24 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee27 View Post
Would you prefer that Harry beat his chest and cried because his job involved killing people??? Much like surgeons, police, fire and others tend to have ghoulish humor in response to what they often see in their jobs. Most of the military tend to play down what they do and what they see in a war zone as a sort of self-protective measure and to keep the horrors of war from their families.

As for the Tailban - their objective was to kill Prince Harry. Instead he killed them.
Don't forget, the Tailban is behind all the attacks on little girls attending school - such as throwing acid on their faces.
Yes, that's it exactly. These soldiers must have a real disconnect between what they are doing and what they are thinking in order to do it. That's the reality of the battlefield. I can't fault Harry here for thinking what all soldiers need to think in order to carry on. To me, this is all a "you can't handle the truth" moment. If you are going to kill someone else, even an enemy, you have to have this video game disconnect, unless you are a sociopath.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:45 PM
Majesty

Old 01-22-2013, 11:33 PM
Courtier

Amazing how editing can change things. Thank you Dman for a great link. Henry is clearly more articulate in this story. He is definitely more relaxed talking about his work in the military rather than answering questions about his private life and family, where his speech accelerates and his words fail him. Poor guy, he almost becomes a nervous wreck!
Old 01-22-2013, 11:37 PM
Courtier

Excellent interview. I didn't get any sense that he was angry or whining about anything. Pretty matter of fact about it all.

LaRae
Old 01-23-2013, 02:39 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanAUSSIE View Post
Amazing how editing can change things. Thank you Dman for a great link. Henry is clearly more articulate in this story. He is definitely more relaxed talking about his work in the military rather than answering questions about his private life and family, ...
Agreed, IME, if the press wants to spin a story a certain way, they won't let the facts get in their way. That has to be frustrating, no matter what you do, or what you say, they will seize on one sentence, or one action, taken out of context, and create huge 'issues' over it.
Reminds me of when in a series of 20 pictures of someone smiling in 19 and not smiling in 1, they'll run the non smiling picture and declare so and so is not happy and go on to speculate as to the causes - usually citing mythical sources re: the cause of their unhappiness.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:43 AM
Nobility

Prince Harry: Don't blame Capt Wales for being flippant about killing - it's the way we soldiers cope with death | Mail Online

Interesting read...
Old 01-23-2013, 07:13 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Very interesting read and very well written.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:27 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Amen to that.
Terrific post and very well stated.

Yes, I believe they are all somewhat conflicted. They all want to be good at their jobs and enjoy their jobs, but that is not to say they are sociopaths that enjoy killing!

My take on the interviews was that Harry got a chance to do what no other member of the BRF has. He got to show them just what he thought of them on a personal level and let's be honest, his personal experience of their lack of common decency and even legality has been far greater than most people, royal, political or celebrity.

He also got to show his personal contempt for the media by exposing the amoral reason there even was an interview, let alone in such a place. Common Blackmail! Why the hell should he be gracious? Why should there have had to be an agreement not to blow his (and everybody else's) cover in a war zone.

Personally I am amazed at the posts complaining that Harry was rude or ungracious to the media. Was it rude to tell them, and the world, the only reason he was actually doing the interviews in the first place.
Finally....A post that actually got the heart of the matter of Harry's demeanour during the interview. That is the exact same feeling I got from it too and ITA. Why should he have to do this even to begin w/? I believe the *only* reason he did it, was to keep his fellow Servicemen and Women safe from the so called Journalists from otherwise following Harry's every move in an attempt at a Front Page Scoop and in return, endangering every single person who w/him at that moment.

I don't blame him one bit for his tone, nor for him calling the Press out either. He was NOT whining by the way, but to each their own.

It's funny, but I've always gotten the opinion of the two brothers that Harry was the one that was just a wee bit more affected by the loss of his Mother. William being a little bit older, at least had her there during the majority of those wretched horrible teen years when so much changes. Harry didn't and I sometimes wonder if that's a part behind some of what has happened over the years w/some of his antics.

Mind you, the trip to Vegas I actually think wouldn't have been *as* bad possibly if his PPO officers had done their job regarding the strip billards game and Smart Phones, but that's for another thread....

Anyway...I've been up all night watching the Aussie Open, so hopefully I'm making sense here. It is awfully interesting how some people view things, isn't it?