The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #441  
Old 09-19-2012, 12:23 PM
Princess B's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NA, Spain
Posts: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyGabrielle View Post
Really? Serious? I must be the only one who thinks they ned to get him out of there whether he wants to or not. I just cant see taking that risk with him. I know, I know, he wants to stay but come on.
I want him to be called back to England too.
__________________

__________________
  #442  
Old 09-19-2012, 12:43 PM
soapstar's Avatar
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Britain
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Hermosa Beach (CA), United States
Posts: 1,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyGabrielle View Post
Really? Serious? I must be the only one who thinks they ned to get him out of there whether he wants to or not. I just cant see taking that risk with him. I know, I know, he wants to stay but come on.
There are precautions in place to keep him as safe as they possibly can. I too thought it might be best for him to come home, but after thinking about it for awhile, I think they should let him stay. He's been wanting to go back for so long, so it would be a little unfair to bring him home now.

Quote:
'Clearly there are fall-back plans and I can't go into the detail of them - but once we knew on Friday night that the perimeter at Bastion had been breached he would have been moved to a secure position under effective guard.'

Asked by presenter Jeremy Paxman if that meant Prince Harry was not treated the same as every other soldier, the Defence Secretary said: 'You asked me whether he was at any greater risk. 'And I've told you that in combat he's at the same risk as any other Apache pilot.

'Clearly if we had a VIP in theatre and frankly if I was there or, Jeremy, if you were there in Camp Bastion and there was a breach of the perimeter security, anybody who might, by nature of who they are, be a target, they would be put in a secure location.'

He added: 'He is serving there as an ordinary officer but clearly there are additional security arrangements in place that recognise that he could be a target himself specifically as a result of who he is.'

Source: Dailymail
__________________

__________________
  #443  
Old 09-19-2012, 12:47 PM
AdmirerUS's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 2,776
We've had a number of Presidential, Vice president's and VP candidate's sons in the live theatre in the middle east. (Biden, McCain, soon Palin) There was hue and cry over that as well - putting others in danger, etc. They served capably and to my knowledge without additional harm to anyone.

I know that a Prince is different from the son of a major Politician, but both would stir up media coverage if something happened.
__________________
  #444  
Old 09-19-2012, 01:15 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 1,178


You make a good point and it bothers me when some media outlets and commentators slate Prince Harry for his military service especially when he could have a 'cushy' job behind a desk somewhere. (This goes for the Duke of Cambridge as well)
__________________
  #445  
Old 09-21-2012, 01:42 PM
LadyGabrielle's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: kapaa, United States
Posts: 1,155
Charles was never put in a situation that could lead to him being seriously injured or killed. Why is it so different for Harry? Just because he wants to be in the midst of battle? Well Im sorry but that to me is not a good enough reason to put his life at risk. He could make himself useful by being a fulltime working royal, Im sure granny would find things to keep him busy. Just my opinion.
__________________
  #446  
Old 09-21-2012, 02:07 PM
Artemisia's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Yerevan, Armenia
Posts: 5,421

Prince Charles was Heir Apparent, Harry is not.
Prince Andrew, who was once in the same position as Harry is now (Heir Presumptive to Heir Apparent) was put in a position of real danger during Falklands' War.

In my opinion, Harry's presence in Afghanistan is not because he wants to "play" a soldier, but simply because he doesn't want to be treated differently from his comrades. Harry is an officer of the British Armed Forces, the country is at war with another country: what's so surprising about the fact that one of the best pilots in Britain (and Apache pilots are the elite by default) is sent to the frontline to assist his comrades to the best of his abilities?
  #447  
Old 09-21-2012, 02:19 PM
AdmirerUS's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 2,776
Artemisia - you are so right. Harry does not want to play a soldier - he IS a soldier to his core. He likes the work, likes his mates and men, enjoys the teamwork, the sense of purpose. He may even enjoy the hardship, dirt and danger. I say let him serve his country!
__________________
  #448  
Old 09-21-2012, 02:33 PM
Excalibur's Avatar
Gentry
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Jacksonville, Florida, United States
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyGabrielle View Post
Charles was never put in a situation that could lead to him being seriously injured or killed. Why is it so different for Harry? Just because he wants to be in the midst of battle? Well Im sorry but that to me is not a good enough reason to put his life at risk. He could make himself useful by being a fulltime working royal, Im sure granny would find things to keep him busy. Just my opinion.
But I don't think Harry wants to just be "useful", I think he wants to make a real contribution. This is one trait that he witnessed first-hand from both his mother and his father. And I think the same can be said of William.

If the Queen wants to limit Harry's contribution to royal engagements, then I am sure that he will do his very best to make his granny (and Queen) proud. However, she has set a precedent with her children in not only allowing them, but encouraging them, to make a real difference. I cannot see her being party to "mollycoddling" her grandsons if they are truly making the contributions they believe they can make.
__________________
  #449  
Old 09-21-2012, 03:18 PM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carlton, York, United Kingdom
Posts: 17,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyGabrielle View Post
Charles was never put in a situation that could lead to him being seriously injured or killed. Why is it so different for Harry? Just because he wants to be in the midst of battle? Well Im sorry but that to me is not a good enough reason to put his life at risk. He could make himself useful by being a fulltime working royal, Im sure granny would find things to keep him busy. Just my opinion.
There is the HUGE difference between Charles and Henry. Charles was an heir, Henry is the spare. Andrew who was the spare, although he went after when Diana was pregnant, went to the Falklands. It is he you should compare Henry to, not his father.

He doesn't want to be in the midst of battle, does anyone really? He wants to put his training to use and not be a waste of money to the MOD. He wants to serve alongside his comrades who he's trained with for years. He wants to protect them and do his duty to his grandmother.

I'm also sure that granny would find him things to do as a full time royal, but if Henry can do this, why shouldn't he? He's done it before. He wasn't pulled out because of terrorist threats, he was pulled out because his position in the field and that of his unit was compromised. Now we know he's there, when he went, when he's due back and where he is.
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
  #450  
Old 09-22-2012, 04:09 AM
Princess B's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NA, Spain
Posts: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
There is the HUGE difference between Charles and Henry. Charles was an heir, Henry is the spare. Andrew who was the spare, although he went after when Diana was pregnant, went to the Falklands. It is he you should compare Henry to, not his father.

He doesn't want to be in the midst of battle, does anyone really? He wants to put his training to use and not be a waste of money to the MOD. He wants to serve alongside his comrades who he's trained with for years. He wants to protect them and do his duty to his grandmother.

I'm also sure that granny would find him things to do as a full time royal, but if Henry can do this, why shouldn't he? He's done it before. He wasn't pulled out because of terrorist threats, he was pulled out because his position in the field and that of his unit was compromised. Now we know he's there, when he went, when he's due back and where he is.
Prince Andrew was sent to a war zone once. This is Prince Harry's second deployment to Afghanistan.

Even if I compare the 2 spares or third in line to the throne at the time of going to war, things have been different.
__________________
  #451  
Old 09-22-2012, 04:48 AM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carlton, York, United Kingdom
Posts: 17,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess B

Prince Andrew was sent to a war zone once. This is Prince Harry's second deployment to Afghanistan.

Even if I compare the 2 spares or third in line to the throne at the time of going to war, things have been different.
What difference does it make if Andrew was only sent once and Henry has gone twice? When Andrew went to the Falklands he was second in the line to throne, he went in April and William was born in June.
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
  #452  
Old 09-22-2012, 10:55 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto (ON) & London (UK), Canada
Posts: 5,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess B View Post
Prince Andrew was sent to a war zone once. This is Prince Harry's second deployment to Afghanistan.

Even if I compare the 2 spares or third in line to the throne at the time of going to war, things have been different.
Andrew went once because the Falklands war was very short. Argentina was defeated, they surrendered, the islanders got their islands back and things pretty much went back to normal in The Falklands.
The Afghan war has been going on for over a decade. Many soldiers have been deployed to Afghanistan more than once. As a regular serving officer it is to be expected that Harry would also be deployed again to Afghanistan.
__________________
  #453  
Old 09-22-2012, 11:21 AM
Al_bina's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: City, Kazakhstan
Posts: 5,884
Prince Harry in China: even if he behaves himself, is this really such a smart idea? Telegraph Blogs
__________________
"I never did mind about the little things"
Amanda, "Point of No Return"
  #454  
Old 09-22-2012, 12:02 PM
vkrish's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 842
For those comparing the deployments of Prince Andrew and Prince Harry...

I would like to tell you something which I have read somewhere a few wks back (Maybe even here..I seriously dont remember)

1.Prince Andrew was sent to a full-fledged international war between two sovereign nations going on in front of the whole world's scrutiny, strictly as per the protocol/guidelines of the war.
There were only two prospects of Prince Andrew facing, apart from what actually happend(returning home victorious).One is he would have been killed in action..which is the ultimate destiny of any soldier..and he would have been a war hero..The other is he would have been captured as a war prisoner..but then he would have been treated with due respect and protocol established for war prisoners..and released after post-war negotiations and settlements..Everything will be fair and straight.

2.Contrast this with whats going on Afghanistan..In what right sense can we call it a war..It is just that NATO forces are hounding the terrorists..who have made a haven in the deepest mountains of a nation that hardly has a government/police.What if Prince Harry was captured..Who will be there for us to negotiate with..We should not be least bit surprised even if the most gory things happen to him..He may be decapitated publicly in a village and the video released later..or his decomposed body may be found in some gutter many wks later..forgive me..but these are perfectly normal things there (There are much worse things Pakistani soldiers did to dead bodies of Indian soldiers killed in '99 kargil war. I will not go into that).What a position will it put the Queen/Prince of Wales in..How much the Prime Minister and Chiefs of Forces will be stressed..Even Obama cant help.So these are two completely different scenarios..You just cant say "So what he is a soldier..he wants to go fight for his granny"..His granny may even die of horror if things go wrong
__________________
  #455  
Old 09-22-2012, 12:26 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto (ON) & London (UK), Canada
Posts: 5,260
Capture/death/serious injury is the risk all soldiers take. They know that when they sign up. Harry is an Apache helicopter pilot, not a ground soldier, and so far no Apache has been shot down (thankfully) so Harry is safer than in his last tour of duty. I am sure Harry and his commanders are all very aware of the risks. As long as he choses to serve in the forces he must be seen to endure the same risks as other service personnel. If he is kept safe what do you say to the parents/husbands/wives/brothers/sisters of other service personnel that are not kept out of harms way?
__________________
  #456  
Old 09-22-2012, 12:42 PM
AdmirerUS's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 2,776
The other reason that the Harry/Andrew comparison may be less relevant is that times have changed. The military, military technology and wars today are different from when Andrew served. Military intelligence practices are very different. At one time in my life it was unimaginable for the Heir to marry a commoner, a divorcee or a non-virgin. People did not demand a decrease in the cost of maintaining the monarchy; no one complained when a royal took a plane somewhere, etc. The situations are vastly different today in many ways.
__________________
  #457  
Old 09-26-2012, 12:34 AM
LadyGabrielle's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: kapaa, United States
Posts: 1,155
Harry may be flying a heli but dont you think the Taliban know that? Yes no helis have been shot at, thank god, but who is to say that those radicals wont start taking down choppers? It is still a very dangerous job in my opinion. Im just glad that he has been moved to a different location, supposedly. Just the thought of Harry being anywhere near Camp Bastian, or whatever its called, is enough to get my stomach in knots. I know it should be about the welfare of all the men out there, and I hope that they all get out of there safely, its just that ,well ........ its Harry. The thought of any harm coming to him is just unthinkable. Just my opinion.
__________________
  #458  
Old 09-26-2012, 02:10 AM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carlton, York, United Kingdom
Posts: 17,198
"It's Harry" is the exact reason he's out there. He's not coming home until his tour ends, or something happens to him. The Taliban know he's there, they can try and get at it him just like they try and kill all this countries soldiers on a daily basis.
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
  #459  
Old 09-26-2012, 12:36 PM
Artemisia's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Yerevan, Armenia
Posts: 5,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyGabrielle View Post
Harry may be flying a heli but dont you think the Taliban know that? Yes no helis have been shot at, thank god, but who is to say that those radicals wont start taking down choppers? It is still a very dangerous job in my opinion. Im just glad that he has been moved to a different location, supposedly. Just the thought of Harry being anywhere near Camp Bastian, or whatever its called, is enough to get my stomach in knots. I know it should be about the welfare of all the men out there, and I hope that they all get out of there safely, its just that ,well ........ its Harry. The thought of any harm coming to him is just unthinkable. Just my opinion.
Good luck to Taliban trying to fight against one of the most sophisticated killing machines out there. It's really not that easy to shoot down an Apache. Actually, it's almost impossible unless you posses state-of-art weapons, and one of the reasons of the war is to ensure they never do.
  #460  
Old 10-01-2012, 10:12 PM
AdmirerUS's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 2,776
This is not so much Harry's doing, but it is current news. Tattler is putting Prince Harry on the cover.

Prince Harry to grace cover page of mag - Yahoo! News
__________________

__________________
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary, Current Events Part 9: Sept 2012 - dazzling Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary and Family 225 11-21-2014 06:57 AM
Earl and Countess of Wessex & Family Current Events 14: January 2013 - December 2013 Zonk Current Events Archive 875 01-01-2014 02:21 PM
British Royal Family current events 5: July 2011- March 2013 wbenson British Royals 1204 04-01-2013 07:35 AM
Charlotte Casiraghi Current Events Part 37: March 2012 - March 2013 iceflower Current Events Archive 806 04-01-2013 05:53 AM
Crown Prince Frederik and Mary Donaldson, Current Events 1: September 2002 - May 2004 Lorraine Current Events Archive 506 05-07-2004 12:03 AM




Popular Tags
belgium carl philip charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events engagement fashion germany grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta sofia jewellery jordan king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander letizia luxembourg nobility official visit olympics ottoman president hollande president komorowski prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince daniel prince floris prince maurits prince pieter-christiaan princess aimee princess alexia (2005 -) princess anita princess beatrix princess charlene princess claire princess laurentien princess madeleine princess margriet princess marilene princess mary princess mary fashion queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen paola queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal royal fashion russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit sweden the hague visit wedding winter olympics 2014



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:49 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]