Prince Harry Current Events 26: January 2012-April 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a tad naive. He will be followed and written about for the rest of his life.

Quote from Harry.

"I don't believe there is any such a thing as private life any more. I'm not going to sit here and whinge. Everybody knows about Twitter and the internet and stuff like that. Every single mobile phone has got a camera on it now. You can't move an inch without someone judging you, and I suppose that's just the way life goes."

And you just judged him.

Different perspectives between us - that's the way it goes.

I'm judging him because he is whinging, regardless of what he says. He needs to deal with the modern media and communications and choose his playmates more carefully. By his behaviour and attitude he has the ability to dictate the tone, at least, of what is written about him. He is behaving like a spoilt brat.

Last edited:
Even surrendering his royal style and title would not give him immunity from the press. He will always be a grandson of QEII and eventually son of Charles III and younger brother of William V. People will always be interested in what he says or does. Annes children never had titles but they still get writtten about. Even people more remotely related to the Rf have stories written about them. There is freedom of the press but no freedom from the press, especially in the age of the internet and camera phines when almost everyone seems poised to sell anyone out for a few $$. People have lost respect for their own privacy (Facebook, Twitter etc) so they have no respect for other peoples privacy.

Boys and girls It is, and will remain a Love/Hate relationship. Things like him going to war with his men, he feels is personal, and let him alone. Oh the other hand, when he is doing something for the Princes' Trust, it's smiles and red carpet. The other royals are on the agreed upon "Christmas Holiday". The media is starving for royal news, and Harry popped up.

I'm judging him because he is whinging, regardless of what he says. He needs to deal with the modern media and communications and choose his playmates more carefully. By his behaviour and attitude he has the ability to dictate the tone, at least, of what is written about him. He is behaving like a spoilt brat.

Don't have a whole lot of empathy for others, eh?

I think Harry recognizes that his life is very privileged, but at the same time- recognizes that he'll never be able to have a private life, and is bothered by that a bit. I don't see that as being spoiled or as whining.

There is freedom of the press but no freedom from the press, especially in the age of the internet and camera phines when almost everyone seems poised to sell anyone out for a few $$. People have lost respect for their own privacy (Facebook, Twitter etc) so they have no respect for other peoples privacy.

well written and so true. I feel so sorry for Pr Harry, Prcs Beatrice and Eugenie. The press seems out to get them. For no good reason that i can see except to sell papers/magazines.

He doesn't have to surrender his Royal style to live the life of an ordinary, but extremely wealthy, army officer. He can just go and live the life of an ordinary, but extremely wealthy, army officer.

Unfortunately that is not just possible for him. And anyone who believes he can do this is very naive.

Don't have a whole lot of empathy for others, eh?

I think Harry recognizes that his life is very privileged, but at the same time- recognizes that he'll never be able to have a private life, and is bothered by that a bit. I don't see that as being spoiled or as whining.

Oh, yes, I can well and truly understand his situation and his feelings. I would absolutely hate to be in his situation, living in a goldfish bowl. He has lived in one all his life though, and should have come to terms with its limitations by now. He has no private life. Everything he does is likely to be reported by the press or social media. The press is never going to let him alone. He should accept that fact gracefully, or have the courage of his convictions and bail out and become simply Mr Harry Wales. The media would still not leave him alone, of course, but he would then have the right to tell them to naff off.

It's the way he handles his situation that is important to me. I'm not going to sit here saying, "Poor Harry" if he's being curt with the media and making his displeasure with his lot in life quite clear. It would be very different if he were gracious about it, but it seems he's not.

well written and so true. I feel so sorry for Pr Harry, Prcs Beatrice and Eugenie. The press seems out to get them. For no good reason that i can see except to sell papers/magazines.

I don't think the press are out to get any of them. Do they get neg press sure but so has every other member of the BRF. Hopefully both Will and Harry come to terms with the role the media does and will continue to play in their lives.

I'm just happy that Harry's back and safe.

Unfortunately that is not just possible for him. And anyone who believes he can do this is very naive.

Oh yes he can. I don't see Harry totally abandoning his brother, so he could very well do just the minimum for a royal and still live - in the words of another poster - "the life of an ordinary, but extremely wealthy, army officer".

Oh, yes, I can well and truly understand his situation and his feelings. I would absolutely hate to be in his situation, living in a goldfish bowl. He has lived in one all his life though, and should have come to terms with its limitations by now. He has no private life. Everything he does is likely to be reported by the press or social media. The press is never going to let him alone. He should accept that fact gracefully, or have the courage of his convictions and bail out and become simply Mr Harry Wales. The media would still not leave him alone, of course, but he would then have the right to tell them to naff off.

It's the way he handles his situation that is important to me. I'm not going to sit here saying, "Poor Harry" if he's being curt with the media and making his displeasure with his lot in life quite clear. It would be very different if he were gracious about it, but it seems he's not.

It's not like his time in Afghanistan is peaches and roses. Maybe that's the reason he was curt to reporters?

Oh yes he can. I don't see Harry totally abandoning his brother, so he could very well do just the minimum for a royal and still live - in the words of another poster - "the life of an ordinary, but extremely wealthy, army officer".

Really?? With this family's history with people who quit their jobs? C'mon.

People Prince Harry just came back from a war zone. I like his honesty. :flowers:

I searched on the web to find what I could of the interviews and I didn't perceive him to be whining. He seemed very much Harry, to me. Direct, calling it as he sees it. Reminds me a bit of his Aunt Anne, or his grandfather Prince Phillip, sort of I am what I am, take it or leave it. Frankly the press needs him a lot more than he needs or wants them, IMO. He's charismatic, attractive and as he says, he works hard and plays hard. Not sure what people expected of him, the reporters asked questions, he answered.
Did love the bit where he got to run away mid interview to fly a mission - bet he did too.
I wonder if a single one of those reporters ever served in combat.

I've never served in the military and certainly have never been in a war zone but those that I know that have, have always told me that you become trained to always be in a stage of acute awareness of what's around you even while you are sleeping. I would think that after serving 5 months in Afghanistan and flying serious missions and even seeing his camp attacked, Harry had quite a radar of awareness about him and probably realized how silly and inane those interviews about him were in relation to his job at hand. I would really hope that after these interviews, the press will leave Harry alone to decompress. There is a good reason why he's in Cyprus for a bit to do this. So many of our service people come back from a war zone with PTSD and the last thing Harry needs right now is the press putting even more stress on him.

I haven't seen the interviews yet nor read through all the articles so what I am writing is based on what I've picked up here so far. Looking back just over the past year, there have been several incidents with Harry, William, Kate and the press where its been quite clear that the press had overstepped the line of decency. Are we really surprised that they are not fond of nor singing the praises of the press? They are well aware that they do need a good working relationship with the press but they've also seen the lack of respect the press has shown in the past and the damage it has done. I do think that in the future if these brothers team up, they will make a formidable opponent against the press when they cross the line and will take steps to insure the press is kept in line when it comes to them being on their own private times. We've already seen some of this recently from William.

No matter what, Harry is and will always be who he is and unless he changes his name, has reconstructive surgery and goes into something similar to the witness protection programs, there will be press interest in him as well as the public interest. There just has to be a line drawn that the press cannot step over and I think both William and Harry are going to be the two that will define this line clearly in the future.

I like how open Harry was in the interviews and he really put things into perspective, IMO. He and his family deal with a lot when it comes down to the press.

It's not like his time in Afghanistan is peaches and roses. Maybe that's the reason he was curt to reporters?

That is certainly an option. He has likely seen things and done things that he never wanted. That leaves scars.
Doing an interview like this, would seem so meaningless compared to it.
I, for one, am very glad that he got out in one piece.

Just watched the interview with Harry in Afghanistan - a rare insight into life at Camp Bastion and the conditions in which our men and women in the armed forces work and live out there.
Harry obviously loves his job - particularly his helicopter! - and is very proud to be able to work alongside his colleagues. He was very modest about his royal position and very protective about his colleagues saying that THEY were the important ones there. He simply does his job like any of the other guys and when it's time to do royal duties, he switches the button and carries out that role too as and when required.
I sincerely hope that he will be able to continue his career in the army for as long as he wants to, without people presuming that they can expect him to give up his career and entertain them in his royal capacity.

Have just joined so I can say...I agree with you Roslyn! All royals have the option to bow out of royal life (and give away their titles and line to the throne) if they choose. I understand he will continue to be a celebrity for some time because of his family and past, but as Roslyn states, he would then be in a better position to tell them where to go!

I don't really think any of the better-known Royals can bow out of royal life, but while there are obviously reasons for rudeness, there's never an excuse for it. Other Royals would be torn apart if they were rude to the media. Harry should be no exception. He's 28 years old, he's been raised properly, he has manners when he wants to have them. That said, I watched the interviews and didn't find him all that rude, other than the fact he spoke extremely fast, and he took a couple of digs at the media.

Oh good grief! I think causing an international incident was the last thing on Harry's mind when he joked about the games. The people serving in our armed forces are not there to party, its serious business and they have to be on the alert at all times. From people I know in the service, computer laptops and game systems are what most of them use to relax should it be playing video games, watching movies or chatting with the folks back home when they can is a real lifeline.

I'd be willing to wager that the time he spent on FIFA was spent to relax with his buddies and take his mind off of more serious things. Harry's always been a big fan of soccer/football. I'm just glad he did have something pleasurable while he was over there.

This story is really making a mountain out of sand of grain.

While I do think the comment was a bit odd I don't think the Taliban are the right people to call someone else a coward.
When I read the remark I thought it sounded really dismisive. Like he doesn't want people to think what he did/does is that special. On the other hand... isn't this what war is about? The killing of the enemy.. I bet there are plenty of soldiers (past and present) who would say just about the same thing.

I'm beginning to understand Harry's resentment of the media. He has to do these interviews so they won't report on him in a way that puts his unit in danger, and then when he does finally sit down with the press to give them what they want, his words are picked apart and used to criticize him.

He's in a no win situation.

I feel for him, but I don't know if there is anything that can be done. He is not the first, or the only royal that has had to deal with a very intrusive (and sometimes nasty) media. I'm sure the other members of the BRF, are equally unhappy with having their lives dissected and picked apart. Maybe he should sit down with his grandmother and father and ask them how they have handled the unwanted scrutiny.

I doubt that will help; his grandmother and even his father did not have the same unrelenting scrutiny there is now.
Thanks to modern technology, Harry is never alone, and he has to accept that.

There's no point complaining, because nothing is apt to change as long as the Windsors are on the throne.

Harry will be dogged by constant media interest both positive and negative until he puts a ring on a girl's finger, then the emphasis will shift to the poor unfortunate woman.

I don't think Harry was trying to be rude to the media but I believe he was just being truthful and frank.

A great deal that's writen about him isn't true. I think the stories about his many girlfriends isn't true either. The main girlfriend I think Harry has had is Chelsy Davy. After that, when he's seen in the same company with another girl, the media have them dating and breaking up. That can't be easy for Harry to read in the papers.

Although I do think the whole Vegas hotel situation was partly his fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom