The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 06:27 AM
Heir Presumptive

and that is a pity on different levels, for the birds and for the RF.

interview with the chief constable of north wales police:
The RSPB: Stop the illegal killing of hen harriers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
As always in cases of this sort, everyone denies involvement and being a private estate, it is hard to prove or disprove who shot the birds. At the moment it is only Harry and his friend who were known to be in the area.

Old 10-31-2007, 04:46 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan alicia View Post
and that is a pity on different levels, for the birds and for the RF.

interview with the chief constable of north wales police:
The RSPB: Stop the illegal killing of hen harriers
A later article,

"A Norfolk Police spokesman said that a report on the case would soon be presented to the Crown Prosecution Service, which will decide whether charges should be brought".

Prince Harry quizzed as bird inquiry expands - Telegraph

Old 10-31-2007, 05:42 PM

Quote:
As always in cases of this sort, everyone denies involvement and being a private estate, it is hard to prove or disprove who shot the birds. At the moment it is only Harry and his friend who were known to be in the area.
If Harry or his friend is the person who shot these birds of prey, aside from the obvious bad consequences, it will be very upsetting for his grandfather, I should think. After all, Prince Philip has spent his royal career writing and speaking passionately about the importance of protecting all of these endangered species, perhaps most especially the birds of prey.

At the same time, it is upsetting anyway, whether the culprit was Prince Harry or not, but perhaps the most upsetting scenario would be if the culprit is the gamekeeper, the professional who should know better!!
Old 10-31-2007, 08:49 PM

For whatever it is worth.... It's just the same as the other reports about the birds.
Daily Express: The World's Greatest Newspaper :: News / Showbiz :: Prince Harry quizzed over rare bird deaths
Old 10-31-2007, 09:55 PM
Courtier

I don't like hunting for sport...not that it matters...LOL...I just felt like saying it.

Hugh is supposed to be the expert hunter of the Van Cutsem family...so it was probably him with Harry, if I had to guess.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:07 PM

I don't like hunting at all for myself, but I guess I mostly tolerate it in others as long as it's done by following the rules: Not shooting out of season, not shooting endangered species, and also a big one for me is that the hunting must be for the purpose of eating the kills and not for selling them for profit of any kind. I don't like commercial hunting. If it's natural, though, it's ok, because at least the animal was free and it died in a "natural" way. Animals kill each other. It's life, and death is part of life.

But this killing endangered birds is very bad, no matter who is responsible. I will be very disapointed in Harry, as the grandson of a dedicated conservationist, if he is the culprit. I will be disappointed in the gamekeeper if he/she is the culprit, because this person should know better than that. This is a violation of the rules, whoever has done it, and I don't like that at all. Harry, your shooting hobby is fine by me, but please follow the rules. It's a fair request, I think.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:55 AM
Heir Presumptive

Prince Harry to be quizzed again on shot birds - Telegraph

Report for CPS after rare birds allegedly shot on royal estate | The Guardian | Guardian Unlimited

Prince Harry quizzed on dead birds - CNN.com
And also:
......... Prince Harry's grandmother, Queen Elizabeth, is patron of the RSPB. His father, Prince Charles, is an active conservationist and patron of several wildlife charities..............
Old 11-01-2007, 07:48 AM
Imperial Majesty

Prince Harry found himself in even deeper water yesterday following his brush with police investigating the illegal shooting of two rare birds at Sandringham.

Harry diving with Royal Navy... while prosecutors prepare to rule on rare bird shooting| News | This is London
Old 11-01-2007, 08:15 AM

Quote:
And also:
......... Prince Harry's grandmother, Queen Elizabeth, is patron of the RSPB. His father, Prince Charles, is an active conservationist and patron of several wildlife charities..............
Also add Princess Anne to the list: Durrell Wildlife Conservation Trust

Prince Philip
President Emeritus of the World Wildlife Foundation
President of the Game Conservancy Trust
patron of the British Trust for Conservation Volunteers
Old 11-01-2007, 08:39 AM
Heir Presumptive

well they will think twice before they invite harry to become a trustee of any of those boards, whether they can prove him guilty or not
Old 11-01-2007, 02:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

He is not guilty just some silly people trying to drag the Monarchy Through the Mud.
Old 11-01-2007, 04:55 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Fan View Post
He is not guilty just some silly people trying to drag the Monarchy Through the Mud.
They have the the birds, so I don't think it is a case of making it up. CH has said that Harry and a friend were in the area, although they have refused to say whether they were shooting, (which makes it sound as if they were).

We will have to wait and see.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:09 PM
Aristocracy

Harry always seems to be in somekind of trouble.Shouldn't he be at some army base doing some training or something?
Old 11-02-2007, 12:56 AM
Gentry

Quote:
CH has said that Harry and a friend were in the area, although they have refused to say whether they were shooting, (which makes it sound as if they were).
True, CH would outright say that they weren't shooting if that was the case. It's troubling that Prince Harry may be involved in this. With a nature preserve right beside Sandringham, one would think shooting birds out of the sky would be outlawed inside the estate.
Old 11-02-2007, 03:56 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalone3 View Post
Harry always seems to be in somekind of trouble.Shouldn't he be at some army base doing some training or something?
Harry and his party were questioned because they were in the area. Anything other than "helping the Police with their enquires" has yet to be established by the Police. If and when they are charged everyone can pull all the old chesnuts out of the fire and give them a toss. But really, have the press nothing better to pad out their stories than the rehashing of "Harry drinking and on drugs at 17" and every other mis-step or mistake he has, or indeed only may have made, is pathetic. Are jounalist's no longer required to actually to see if there even is a story? Had Harry been a passenger on the Titanic I am sure we would be reading about how he caused it to sink!
Old 11-02-2007, 05:40 AM
Heir Presumptive

Not so, if you take the trouble to inform yourself before posting an opinion:

one of the three people looking at the 2 birds flying until paf paf they were shot down was a staff member of Natural England, the government's conservation agency.

If they all 3 had been members of the public it could have been stated that they did not correctly recognize the bird sort.

(Sky dragon I did not know they had found the birds, can they not see from the amunition used which guns where used, they need permits I assume for every gun on the property)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Fan View Post
Old 11-02-2007, 07:33 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
(Sky dragon I did not know they had found the birds, can they not see from the amunition used which guns where used, they need permits I assume for every gun on the property)
I understand that they had to recover the birds to confirm that they were the endangered Hen Harriers. Because it's likely that a shotgun was used, it would be impossible to determine, from the shot recovered, which gun it came from.

We don't know whether it was Harry and/or his friend, many gamekeepers shoot and poison 100's of protected birds every year, to protect the stock (birds) they want to release for people to shoot!

Up in the Highlands, they recently found 2 poisoned Golden Eagles, 4 Red Kites and a Sea Eagle on various estates, (they are normally disposed of if shot)!

We don't know that it was Harry or his friend but it would stop the gossip if CH had said they were not shooting in the area.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Prince Harry visited the Fleet Diving School in Portsmouth and dived with military personnel during his first visit as Commodore-in-Chief of Small Ships and Diving today.

The Prince of Wales - Prince Harry visits the Royal Navy's fleet diving squadron in Portsmouth as Commodore-in-Chief
Old 11-03-2007, 07:25 PM
Imperial Majesty

I thought Harry was supposed to be a serving officer in the army.

It seems to me as if the army is barely a part-time job as he seems to be on holidays most of the time.

If this is his attitude then he should resign his commission and take on full time royal duties or quit the royal family and live in Africa with his Chelsy.
Old 11-03-2007, 10:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

Wish hed stay I Want him to make Captain at best they could send him to Darfur He could persue his Army duties and Charity ventures
Old 11-04-2007, 03:19 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissy57 View Post
I thought Harry was supposed to be a serving officer in the army.

It seems to me as if the army is barely a part-time job as he seems to be on holidays most of the time.

If this is his attitude then he should resign his commission and take on full time royal duties or quit the royal family and live in Africa with his Chelsy.

Oh meow! At this point he is still a Commissioned Officer in Her Majesty's Military Forces. Unless he is attached to a war zone overseas, and is not on a training course of some sort, like most working stiffs......he gets the weekends off or other days off in lieu!

Tags
prince harry