Prince Harry Current Events 20: May-June 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Roslyn said:
What other specialty fields within the army are realistic options for Harry? Seems to me that some of those mentioned by Empress would require tertiary qualifications which Harry does not possess and is unlikely to acquire.
The trouble is that Harry has been trained as a combat soldier and whatever he wants to do now, means retraining. He could of course stay in the B&R's and retrain for the ceremonial arm. He could, again with extra training, become an instructor. One thing I very much doubt he will become is a desk jockey.

The problem Harry faces (one of many) is that as an instructor, unless you have been on active service, others have difficulty respecting what you are telling them. The army has tried over the past few years to get away from the 'hooray henry' officer image and has once again damaged it's own image. I and many in the military (IMO) blame the media for this debacle!

While many people with family serving in Iraq are breathing a sigh of relief, that the bullet magnet will not be near their relative, twice as many are saying 'Oh I see, it's OK for my son/daughter/husband/wife/father/mother to put their life on the line, but the ******* royal family, bunch of scroungers, are too good to risk their lives!

Is Prince Harry's army career in tatters over Iraq?

The military career of Prince Harry, third in line to the throne, could be left in tatters now commanders have decided it is too dangerous to post him to Iraq
The decision provoked a backlash from parents whose sons have been killed in combat there and defence analysts said it would now be difficult for the 22-year-old prince to carve out a future as an army officer

Is Prince Harry's army career in tatters over Iraq? - Yahoo! News UK

Last edited:
Skydragon said:
I and many in the military (IMO) blame the media for this debacle!
I completely agree.
The intense speculation has forced Army officials to come out, first announcing that Harry was to be sent out, which made them appear like amateur when they reconsidered their position.
As if it's the first time in the history of the military that a strategy is rethought.:rolleyes:

Also, even though the situation is eventually wise and there are many other things Harry could be doing, I am extremely worried about him now.
He is an unstable and emotional character. I am certain he feels humiliated and betrayed right now. Not to add useless. At least, Iraq has been a focus and challenge to look forward to for him. I am now afraid his behavior will become more erratic now (and it's not like he is a model of self control as it is).
I expect more drunken brawls and general stupid behavior.
I hope for his sake that they send him in another conflict zone ASAP, and don't let us know about it until he is settled there, or possibly already back home. Otherwise, I fear if he is left in England to drown his sorrow, hell might break loose.

Skydragon said:
... While many people with family serving in Iraq are breathing a sigh of relief, that the bullet magnet will not be near their relative, twice as many are saying 'Oh I see, it's OK for my son/daughter/husband/wife/father/mother to put their life on the line, but the ******* royal family, bunch of scroungers, are too good to risk their lives!

I understand the feelings of the relatives of those in the army - their sons/daughters are more precious for them then all the kings, Queen, Princes and Princesses put together.
But I think it's utterly unfair to blame the RF (especially Prince Harry) and even the Army for this decision - they didn't have much choice, did they? It's not about Harry's safety or his life's value, it's about the safety of the other people and also best interests to the country (it would be poor service if he got caught).

Personally I blame the Media and the entire fuss they created around Harry's deployment. They gave out too many details (and would give more, should he be deployed) and they created quite a good advertising for the insurgents.

Avalon said:
Personally I blame the Media and the entire fuss they created around Harry's deployment. They gave out too many details (and would give more, should he be deployed) and they created quite a good advertising for the insurgents.
I wouldn't wonder if Harry is already in Iraq and serving in another regiment in another region... Maybe they try to cover his being in Iraq this way for as long as possible and then send him back home because it turned out to be too dangerous for him and his fellow soldiers... Just an idea...

I personally find it suspicious that we saw him in public at this parade and directly afterwards the media is informed that he is not to serve in Iraq - but we'll just have to wait and see when the next pics of him are shot somewhere in the UK.

BTW - for close to fifty years after WWII no German officer or soldier did attend any service outside the FRG or any active combat service but I dare say noone doubts that the German Bundeswehr is capable of defending their homecountry. So experience in active service is not necessary for a soldier to be considered a good one. IMHO.

Last edited:
I wouldn't wonder if Harry is already in Iraq and serving in another regiment in another region... Maybe they try to cover his being in Iraq this way for as long as possible and then send him back home because it turned out to be too dangerous for him and his fellow soldiers... Just an idea...
I think this scenario is HIGHLY unlikely since the top general said he was not going to Iraq.

The decision to not allow Prince Harry to fight in Iraq is a good one. He would probably be a target as well as those under his command. I also think the ultimate decision came from the Queen. JMO.

The Queen has NO SAY in military affairs.

Avalon said:

I think the obsessive interest of the media should have been well known to TPTB and anticipated by them. They are all plainly idiots - both the PTB and the media - IMO. The media for not knowing or being indifferent to the likely consequences of the publicity they provided, and the PTB for stringing Harry along for so long believing it was possible for him to be a soldier when they would or should have known it was impossible.

These insurgents should not be under-estimated. They would have worked out where Harry was without the assistance of the western media.

Harry is the loser in all of this, and I really feel for him.

Skydragon said:
The problem Harry faces (one of many) is that as an instructor, unless you have been on active service, others have difficulty respecting what you are telling them. The army has tried over the past few years to get away from the 'hooray henry' officer image and has once again damaged it's own image.
Very true, however, that's not going to stop some MoD Mensa candidate coming up with some really "useful" but totally humiliating and soul destroying way the "Harry" situation can be resolved!
Skydragon said:
While many people with family serving in Iraq are breathing a sigh of relief, that the bullet magnet will not be near their relative, twice as many are saying 'Oh I see, it's OK for my son/daughter/husband/wife/father/mother to put their life on the line, but the ******* royal family, bunch of scroungers, are too good to risk their lives!
Totally predictable situation which is already happening!
Skydragon said:
Is Prince Harry's army career in tatters over Iraq?

The military career of Prince Harry, third in line to the throne, could be left in tatters now commanders have decided it is too dangerous to post him to Iraq
The decision provoked a backlash from parents whose sons have been killed in combat there and defence analysts said it would now be difficult for the 22-year-old prince to carve out a future as an army officer.
Also totally predictable. Is there any way they MoD could possible have made a worse hash of this?

Is Prince Harry's army career in tatters over Iraq? - Yahoo! News UK[/quote]Say's it all.

Skydragon said:
I and many in the military (IMO) blame the media for this debacle!
Explains it all!

Sorry to say it, but I think Harry will be resigning his commission and looking for a civilian career.

Unfortunately there isn't much good precedent for senior royals to have civilian careers. I would have said that, knowing that the Iraq war was under way when Harry first entered Sandhurst and knowing that it was still going to be under way when he left, his advisors might have suggested that it'd have been better for him to join the Navy, where they seem to be more involved in conventional warfare. But the hostage situation with Iran an the British sailors a few weeks ago just goes to show that there'd have been risks there too. Just imagine the capital the Iranians could have made from having Harry as part of a group of hostages.

Elspeth said:
...Just imagine the capital the Iranians could have made from having Harry as part of a group of hostages.

I cringe at the thought. I commend the prince for wanting to serve but today's war and army isn't the same as when his dad and uncles started their careers. We're all fighting a global war on terrorism and anyone can be a target . Now, besides my relatives, who would be impacted by my death if I was caught up in the gunfire serving my country? There are many out there wanting to kill any American but its an bigger statement to set your stakes for a British prince in line to the thrown. I for one would want Harry to continue with his career but just not in Iraq, Afghanistan, Iran, etc. But is that at all possible?

Was it necessary to report that Harry was to deploy to the region?

I'm sure it wasn't necessary, but the press were going to find out, and they could have made all sorts of capital about why the decision had been kept secret. Unfortunately, it's better for the press if Harry's whereabouts are known and if he is actually captured and held hostage than if he undergoes a low-key and uneventful tour of duty. And these days many elements of the press don't seem to have too many finer feelings about manipulating things to their advantage.

You will go no agruments from me on the press. Thanks for the reply Elspeth.

Harry's new war role: looking after the injured | the Daily Mail
He will now join his brother William in D Squadron of the Blues and Royals, a holding unit destined never to go to war. The squadron, which has far fewer men than his original A squadron, is made up of injured soldiers unfit to serve or those preparing to leave the regiment.
Is this true about D Squadron being only for injured soliders unfit to serve and those preparing to leave the regimant ,Sydragon?

Last edited:
kpusa1981 said:
Harry's new war role: looking after the injured | the Daily Mail
Is this true about D Squadron being only for injured soliders unfit to serve and those preparing to leave the regimant ,Sydragon?
Yes, Squadron D is made up of injured soldiers and those destined to leave during the tour. I understand the Mail didn't ask the permission of the posters on arrse or egoat if they could use their posts. :bang:

Last edited:
Prince Harry current events 17: 17 May 2007 -

Skydragon said:
Yes, Squadron D is made up of injured soldiers and those destined to leave during the tour. I understand the Mail didn't ask the permission of the posters on arrse or egoat if they could use their posts. :bang:
Thank you, skydragon and I had edited my post.

I pray Harry can find a MEANINGFUL role in the army.

Skydragon, why would they put him in D Squadron? Is just because they don't want to use in combat or is until it is figured out what they will do with Harry?
What I mean if they trans fer him a different Regiment or retrain him or what ever.

kpusa1981 said:
Skydragon, why would they put him in D Squadron? Is just because they don't want to use in combat or is until it is figured out what they will do with Harry?
What I mean if they transfer him a different Regiment or retrain him or what ever.
I would think he has been placed in D squadron while he sorts out the options open to him. I'm sure whatever he and the MOD decide, the media will speculate and fabricate until they have an announcement. :future:

Why could he not transfer to the NAVY, where he would be stationed on a ship and be safe in communications.

cowarth said:
Why could he not transfer to the NAVY, where he would be stationed on a ship and be safe in communications.
Because you cannot 'just transfer'. The services are not interchangeable, he would have to apply to go on a naval officer course, he might not be acceptable, he might even get sea sick. He might not have the aptitude to be a communications officer. At the moment he is still an army officer, I just hope he will be allowed some time to make his own decision, as to what he wants to do!

cowarth said:

Why would he go into the navy when he wants to be a soldier? He's made no overtures that I know of, that he's ever been interested in a naval career if an army one didn't work out. His dad was in the navy, his uncle was in the navy.....he wants something different. I would like to see him do something connected with what he busted his hump for.

Considering the little incident with the British sailors being picked up and held hostage by Iran, I don't know that being in the Navy would be much of an improvement these days.

Elspeth said:
Considering the little incident with the British sailors being picked up and held hostage by Iran, I don't know that being in the Navy would be much of an improvement these days.

Harry is caught between a rock and a hard place. No matter what he may want to do, there is an inherent danger in sending him to do it. He doesn't want a desk job the rest of his life, but the MoD can't provide for his safety any other way. I feel really bad for him......it's not easy being the "spare" and I think considering how things could have turned out, he's done a good job dealing with his lot in life. I don't mean to say that the position he holds is a burden (who wouldn't want to be a Prince/Princess and be filthy rich), but the expectations that are on him as the "spare" are what's the burden.

Sister Morphine said:
Why would he go into the navy when he wants to be a soldier? He's made no overtures that I know of, that he's ever been interested in a naval career if an army one didn't work out. His dad was in the navy, his uncle was in the navy.....he wants something different. I would like to see him do something connected with what he busted his hump for.

He hasn't been busting his hump for it for very long though, and he is young enough to change direction. Many people much older than him who have spent many years training for and doing a job they liked have had to change direction when outside forces made their jobs redundant, etc.

The main problem I see for Harry is that he is not academically inclined; everything I think of for him to do now involves university. Apart, that is, from the fleeting thought that he could go to South Africa and lead wildlife safaris or mine diamonds. He also has charity interests in Africa which would probably benefit from his hands-on assistance. Considering his close attachment to Chelsy, such a move might not be as fanciful as it might first seem.

I feel really bad for him......it's not easy being the "spare" and I think considering how things could have turned out, he's done a good job dealing with his lot in life. I don't mean to say that the position he holds is a burden (who wouldn't want to be a Prince/Princess and be filthy rich), but the expectations that are on him as the "spare" are what's the burden.

Exactly just look at British History Second sons becomming Monarch are all over the place King Geoge V King George VI even further back Henry VIII (he had a Brother Arthur)

Last edited by a moderator:
cowarth said:

Harry seems more an Army Officer than Naval Officer. He may feel that the "navy" is for sissies and the Army is for real men (I know a few former army relatives that feel that way). I don't think the Navy could fulfill Harry as much as the Army can. Harry is a rough and tough dude and I don't think he would be particularly happy just sitting on a ship or at a desk in dry port. He likes the outdoors and on the ground type of duty.:)

Roslyn said:
He hasn't been busting his hump for it for very long though, and he is young enough to change direction. Many people much older than him who have spent many years training for and doing a job they liked have had to change direction when outside forces made their jobs redundant, etc.

The main problem I see for Harry is that he is not academically inclined; everything I think of for him to do now involves university. Apart, that is, from the fleeting thought that he could go to South Africa and lead wildlife safaris or mine diamonds. He also has charity interests in Africa which would probably benefit from his hands-on assistance. Considering his close attachment to Chelsy, such a move might not be as fanciful as it might first seem.

It doesn't matter to me how long he's been busting his hump, the fact is he worked his way through Sandhurst with the intention on being a ground troop and seeing active service. If it is too dangerous now for him to go to combat, it should have been too dangerous when he entered Sandhurst (and it was, he didn't enter that long ago). They did him wrong.

And we all know that Harry is not "academically inclined." That's a just a really nice way of saying "not too bright." I bet if he applied himself, he'd succeed. Most C-students are not C-students because of stupidity, but because of apathy. He doesn't strike me as stupid. If he found something in the civilian field that really struck his fancy, I would think he'd go after it. Perhaps he should go back to school and get a degree in Social Work...maybe an advanced degree (I don't know how it works in the English University system) so he can put his humanitarian side to good work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom