The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #81  
Old 05-19-2007, 06:06 PM
cowarth's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: NA, United States
Posts: 326
The press has considered him the spare since birth, then they wonder why he acts the way he does in public. How would you act if all your life you were considered the spare?
__________________

  #82  
Old 05-19-2007, 06:13 PM
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: ***, United States
Posts: 16,894
I think Princess Margaret had much the same problem, although in her case it wasn't complicated by the fact that she needed to go out and find herself a career.
__________________

  #83  
Old 05-19-2007, 06:41 PM
cowarth's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: NA, United States
Posts: 326
Charles should have done more to prepare Harry for the media intrusion into his private life as he got older.
  #84  
Old 05-19-2007, 07:03 PM
Roslyn's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Tintenbar, Australia
Posts: 3,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowarth
Charles should have done more to prepare Harry for the media intrusion into his private life as he got older.
I'm not Charles could have done more in this regard. Harry grew up a member of the RF with intense media interest in his family, particularly his mother but also his father and his uncles and aunts and his grandparents. All his life he's been aware that their lives are reported in the newspapers and magazines and on TV, and the fact that there are cameras watching them and that they need to prepare for the flashing hoards before they step out of the door or the car. He's not like a commoner from a quite, private background marrying in.
__________________
"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, -- and call off Christmas!!!"
  #85  
Old 05-19-2007, 07:12 PM
Sister Morphine's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: North Carolina, United States
Posts: 2,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn
I'm not Charles could have done more in this regard. Harry grew up a member of the RF with intense media interest in his family, particularly his mother but also his father and his uncles and aunts and his grandparents. All his life he's been aware that their lives are reported in the newspapers and magazines and on TV, and the fact that there are cameras watching them and that they need to prepare for the flashing hoards before they step out of the door or the car. He's not like a commoner from a quite, private background marrying in.


Exactly. What can Charles do? Not much. He can tell Harry to not let it bother him, not let it effect him, but past that.....the onus is on Harry to deal with it.
__________________
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
  #86  
Old 05-19-2007, 07:15 PM
Sister Morphine's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: North Carolina, United States
Posts: 2,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowarth
The press has considered him the spare since birth, then they wonder why he acts the way he does in public. How would you act if all your life you were considered the spare?

The way he acts I don't think has that much to do with the fact he's William's younger brother. Yes some younger siblings act out (mine did), but most don't. He has a much different personality than William and because he's not the future King, he gets a looser rein in terms of where he can go, who he can date, what he does.....it allows him to be more inhibited, but it's his extroverted personality that lends more weight to it than anything else.


Blaming Harry's often-times bad behavior on the fact he's #2 in the Wales' family is basically giving him a cop-out and that's wrong. Do you see Prince Joachim in Denmark or Prince Willem-Alexander's brothers behaving like Harry sometimes does? It's the person, not the position.
__________________
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
  #87  
Old 05-19-2007, 07:19 PM
HRH Kimetha's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Arlington, United States
Posts: 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn
I'm not Charles could have done more in this regard. Harry grew up a member of the RF with intense media interest in his family, particularly his mother but also his father and his uncles and aunts and his grandparents. All his life he's been aware that their lives are reported in the newspapers and magazines and on TV, and the fact that there are cameras watching them and that they need to prepare for the flashing hoards before they step out of the door or the car. He's not like a commoner from a quite, private background marrying in.
True. I think Harry is quite familiar with a camera lens. I remember seeing a picture of him and his mum peeking out from a candy store in Kensington making for buying candy.
  #88  
Old 05-19-2007, 07:59 PM
cowarth's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: NA, United States
Posts: 326
This all makes alot of sense, it just seems weird to me the way they have to live.
  #89  
Old 05-20-2007, 12:24 AM
CasiraghiTrio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Burbank, United States
Posts: 6,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
Harry's fans may wish him to be wrapped in cotton wool, but I doubt that Harry would be agreeable.
He needs to realize, and I think he is learning in his own way, that his choices and actions create consequences for other people. The British army has now decided that his presence in the recon. unit places "unacceptable risk" to himself and to his command. Most people in the world have such things to learn: that our actions and choices create consequences and results for other people, and that is why when we make selfish choices, it shows us to be selfish, and when we make choices out of concern for others, it shows that we are compassionate. Being denied Iraq service may make Harry feel bad, but he should feel good knowing that it was a rational, well-thought-out decision, reached by rational professionals, and that Harry's non-deployment takes out a very unnecessary risk to those who must deploy to Iraq.
Harry may feel bad not going to Iraq, but he may take heart from knowing that his father would feel much worse if he did go to Iraq and was killed.
  #90  
Old 05-20-2007, 12:56 AM
HRH Kimetha's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Arlington, United States
Posts: 779
Prince Harry in Afghanistan speculation

Well we know this isn't going to happen as it was picked up by the news, or I hope that the MoD understands that gravity of letting out a little information to those who aren't in the need to know.


Prince Harry in Afghanistan speculation

Prince Harry, who was last week stopped from joining his regiment's deployment to Iraq, could be sent to join troops in Afghanistan.
The British newspaper The News of the World reported it had information about plans for the 22-year-old officer, third in line to the throne, to join the fight against the Taliban, but was withholding key details.

Prince Harry in Afghanistan speculation - World - theage.com.au


Maybe MoD will get it right this time and keep the right-to-know information kept to a minimum.

MoD seeks news blackout on Harry's future army moves

Revelations about the deployment of Prince Harry to a war zone will be censored if the government agrees to a proposal that future information surrounding his military career is covered by a D-notice.
A D-notice - an official request to newspaper editors not to publish items on specified subjects for reasons of national security - can apply to individuals if there is thought to be a 'grave threat' to their safety.

Bid to censor press over prince's army deployment | UK News | The Observer
  #91  
Old 05-20-2007, 06:54 AM
Skydragon's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: London and Highlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 10,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowarth
The press has considered him the spare since birth, then they wonder why he acts the way he does in public. How would you act if all your life you were considered the spare?
Many 2nd son's live with the fact without any problems. The eldest son inherits the lot, normally has a ready made career, the family home, jewels and investments. It is the first born eldest girl that you should feel sorry for, she is not considered worthy of inheriting as much as her younger brothers! :hedwig:

Harry could quit Army to do charity work

Prince Harry may decide to leave the Army to pursue a new role carrying out charity work, according to his friends.

Harry could quit Army to do charity work | Uk News | News | Telegraph
  #92  
Old 05-20-2007, 03:45 PM
cowarth's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: NA, United States
Posts: 326
MoD seeks news blackout on Harry's future army moves

like this will ever work with the modern media
  #93  
Old 05-20-2007, 04:09 PM
Sister Morphine's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: North Carolina, United States
Posts: 2,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
Many 2nd son's live with the fact without any problems. The eldest son inherits the lot, normally has a ready made career, the family home, jewels and investments. It is the first born eldest girl that you should feel sorry for, she is not considered worthy of inheriting as much as her younger brothers! :hedwig:

Harry could quit Army to do charity work

Prince Harry may decide to leave the Army to pursue a new role carrying out charity work, according to his friends.

Harry could quit Army to do charity work | Uk News | News | Telegraph


I'd hate to see him leave the Army (partly because he looks good in uniform, but that's another story), but if he chooses to do so, he has a big heart and I can see him making an impact helping others. He inherited that from his mother. I don't believe people who say that he acts all lovey-dovey around children for the cameras.....I think there's genuine affection there and he could put it to good use.
__________________
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
  #94  
Old 05-20-2007, 05:04 PM
cowarth's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: NA, United States
Posts: 326
Has he been back to the orphanage in Lasotheo?
  #95  
Old 05-20-2007, 06:30 PM
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: ***, United States
Posts: 16,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRH Kimetha
MoD seeks news blackout on Harry's future army moves

Revelations about the deployment of Prince Harry to a war zone will be censored if the government agrees to a proposal that future information surrounding his military career is covered by a D-notice.
A D-notice - an official request to newspaper editors not to publish items on specified subjects for reasons of national security - can apply to individuals if there is thought to be a 'grave threat' to their safety.

Bid to censor press over prince's army deployment | UK News | The Observer
I wonder why it didn't occur to these people to do this right from the start. Can it really have been incompetence, or what on earth were they thinking? They must know what the press is like where the young royals are concerned, and minor considerations like national security wouldn't have made any difference to them.
  #96  
Old 05-20-2007, 06:32 PM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 10,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine
I'd hate to see him leave the Army (partly because he looks good in uniform, but that's another story), but if he chooses to do so, he has a big heart and I can see him making an impact helping others. He inherited that from his mother. I don't believe people who say that he acts all lovey-dovey around children for the cameras.....I think there's genuine affection there and he could put it to good use.


I always love it when people say that he inherited his caring side from his mother.

What about his father - who has been caring for others since long before Diana came on the scene - the Princes TRust was set up in the 70s. The RF has spent its life, for most of the last 100 years 'caring for others' in the way that Diana did. They just didn't make sure that the cameras were there to photograph them doing the job.

The Queen went to a leper colony in the 1950s and raised awareness of that disease but of course Harry couldn't inherit a caring side from the Windsors could he? Anne has been heavily been involved with caring for children since she was a young woman - she just doesn't need cameras around her to do the job - of course Harry couldn't get any idea about caring for people from his Aunt Anne.

All his good qualities must come from Diana and all his bad from Charles - give me a break - his father's family have been in the caring business for a long time e.g. Edward VII going to visit the poverty stricken areas of London and then getting extremely upset when he wasn't allowed to vote on the Housing Bill that came out of the committee set up to investigate the housing situation. Edward VIII's famous 'something must be done' when seeing the miners conditions during the Depression. George VI worked with youth throughout his time as Duke of York.

You get my point, I hope - Harry has ancestors on both sides of his family who have cared for people not just from his mother.
  #97  
Old 05-20-2007, 06:37 PM
Sister Morphine's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: North Carolina, United States
Posts: 2,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissy57
I always love it when people say that he inherited his caring side from his mother.

What about his father - who has been caring for others since long before Diana came on the scene - the Princes TRust was set up in the 70s. The RF has spent its life, for most of the last 100 years 'caring for others' in the way that Diana did. They just didn't make sure that the cameras were there to photograph them doing the job.

The Queen went to a leper colony in the 1950s and raised awareness of that disease but of course Harry couldn't inherit a caring side from the Windsors could he? Anne has been heavily been involved with caring for children since she was a young woman - she just doesn't need cameras around her to do the job - of course Harry couldn't get any idea about caring for people from his Aunt Anne.

All his good qualities must come from Diana and all his bad from Charles - give me a break - his father's family have been in the caring business for a long time e.g. Edward VII going to visit the poverty stricken areas of London and then getting extremely upset when he wasn't allowed to vote on the Housing Bill that came out of the committee set up to investigate the housing situation. Edward VIII's famous 'something must be done' when seeing the miners conditions during the Depression. George VI worked with youth throughout his time as Duke of York.

You get my point, I hope - Harry has ancestors on both sides of his family who have cared for people not just from his mother.

I wasn't implying that no one in his family, ever ever forever ever in the history of the British monarchy has cared for people other than his mother. HOWEVER, what we most remember seeing from Diana was the works she did with children, especially those afflicted with AIDS. I distinctly remember a photo of her hugging a child who had AIDS during a time when people thought you could still contract it through casual contact. I was merely drawing upon one similarity I see in him and his mother.
__________________
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
  #98  
Old 05-20-2007, 07:54 PM
HRH Kimetha's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Arlington, United States
Posts: 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
Can it really have been incompetence, or what on earth were they thinking?
That's the thing...they weren't thinking. Or, not thinking on Earth! Bunch of dummies!
  #99  
Old 05-20-2007, 08:24 PM
CasiraghiTrio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Burbank, United States
Posts: 6,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowarth
Has he been back to the orphanage in Lasotheo?
According to the Sentebale official site and also the Prince of Wales official site, there is a Sentebale unit in the UK and actually Sentebale is working concurrently with a fund that both Princes william and harry set up for the Diana concert, and Sentebale will draw some of the money raised from the concert. So I think he is working a lot for Sentebale in ways that we don't see. Plus, the cofounder, Prince What-is-his-name of Lesotho, has an office in London, it seems, and works a lot helping the princes coordinate everything.
I can see Harry making a long career in the army and managing charitable contributions all the same. His uncle was able to do it. I think Prince Harry feels a lot of pressure to serve in a warzone like his uncle but he should cut himself a break. Really, he should let is be what it is. The Iraq war is much entirely different from the Falklands squabble. That Falklands conflict looks like cake compared to Iraq. The dangers in Harry's case are much more extreme. Let's be real. He should stop comparing himself to past wars and his elders. He is in an entirely unique situation, ripe with fresh and much more extreme dangers. Terrorism today is not what it was in 1982 or whatever.
  #100  
Old 05-20-2007, 08:48 PM
ysbel's Avatar
Heir Apparent
TRF Author
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 5,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine
I wasn't implying that no one in his family, ever ever forever ever in the history of the British monarchy has cared for people other than his mother. HOWEVER, what we most remember seeing from Diana was the works she did with children, especially those afflicted with AIDS. I distinctly remember a photo of her hugging a child who had AIDS during a time when people thought you could still contract it through casual contact. I was merely drawing upon one similarity I see in him and his mother.
Different people are struck by different images. I had followed Audrey Hepburn during her early work in Africa with children dying of starvation of AIDS so by the time Diana came on the scene holding a child with AIDS it was great but it was the second time I had seen such an image and so it probably wasn't as striking to me as much as it was to you.

I would agree Harry is a very caring young man; I didn't think much of where he got it from; regardless of where he got it from, I think its an admirable trait and am very happy to see it.
__________________

__________________
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Closed Thread

Tags
prince harry


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Prince Joachim and Marie Cavallier, Current Events 2: May 2007 - May 2008 GlitteringTiaras Current Events Archive 568 05-29-2008 04:58 PM
Prince Harry and Chelsy Davy Current Events 1: October-November 2007 Warren Current Events Archive 20 11-12-2007 06:44 PM
Prince Harry Current Events 21: June-November 2007 Warren Current Events Archive 171 11-06-2007 06:30 AM
Prince Harry Current Events 19: May 1-17, 2007 Elspeth Current Events Archive 210 05-17-2007 03:18 AM
Prince Harry Current Events 18: March 2007-May 2007 Avalon Current Events Archive 214 04-30-2007 08:23 PM




Popular Tags
70th birthday celebrations of king carl xvi gustaf aristocracy ascot 2016 best gown best gown september 2016 best hat best outfit british baby names catherine middleton style coup d'etat crown princess mary crown princess mary fashion current events duchess of cambridge dutch state visit e-mail fashion poll felipe vi greece kate middleton king abdullah and queen rania king abdullah ii king willem-alexander marriage member introduction monarchy new zealand norway november 2016 october 2016 opening of parliament picture of the week prince charles princess charlene daytime fashion princess marie princess marie events princess mary princess mary daytime fashion princess mary fashion queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen mathilde queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima dresses queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania queen rania casual outfit queen rania daytime fashion queen rania dresses queen rania fashion replica september 2016 state visit state visit to denmark state visit to france succession sweden the duchess of cambridge the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats time travel women deliver conference


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:16 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017
Jelsoft Enterprises