The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 06:06 PM
Nobility

The press has considered him the spare since birth, then they wonder why he acts the way he does in public. How would you act if all your life you were considered the spare?

Old 05-19-2007, 06:13 PM
Imperial Majesty

I think Princess Margaret had much the same problem, although in her case it wasn't complicated by the fact that she needed to go out and find herself a career.

Old 05-19-2007, 06:41 PM
Nobility

Charles should have done more to prepare Harry for the media intrusion into his private life as he got older.
Old 05-19-2007, 07:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowarth
Charles should have done more to prepare Harry for the media intrusion into his private life as he got older.
I'm not Charles could have done more in this regard. Harry grew up a member of the RF with intense media interest in his family, particularly his mother but also his father and his uncles and aunts and his grandparents. All his life he's been aware that their lives are reported in the newspapers and magazines and on TV, and the fact that there are cameras watching them and that they need to prepare for the flashing hoards before they step out of the door or the car. He's not like a commoner from a quite, private background marrying in.
Old 05-19-2007, 07:12 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn
I'm not Charles could have done more in this regard. Harry grew up a member of the RF with intense media interest in his family, particularly his mother but also his father and his uncles and aunts and his grandparents. All his life he's been aware that their lives are reported in the newspapers and magazines and on TV, and the fact that there are cameras watching them and that they need to prepare for the flashing hoards before they step out of the door or the car. He's not like a commoner from a quite, private background marrying in.

Exactly. What can Charles do? Not much. He can tell Harry to not let it bother him, not let it effect him, but past that.....the onus is on Harry to deal with it.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 05-19-2007, 07:15 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
The press has considered him the spare since birth, then they wonder why he acts the way he does in public. How would you act if all your life you were considered the spare?

The way he acts I don't think has that much to do with the fact he's William's younger brother. Yes some younger siblings act out (mine did), but most don't. He has a much different personality than William and because he's not the future King, he gets a looser rein in terms of where he can go, who he can date, what he does.....it allows him to be more inhibited, but it's his extroverted personality that lends more weight to it than anything else.

Blaming Harry's often-times bad behavior on the fact he's #2 in the Wales' family is basically giving him a cop-out and that's wrong. Do you see Prince Joachim in Denmark or Prince Willem-Alexander's brothers behaving like Harry sometimes does? It's the person, not the position.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 05-19-2007, 07:19 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn
True. I think Harry is quite familiar with a camera lens. I remember seeing a picture of him and his mum peeking out from a candy store in Kensington making for buying candy.
Old 05-19-2007, 07:59 PM
Nobility

This all makes alot of sense, it just seems weird to me the way they have to live.
Old 05-20-2007, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
Harry's fans may wish him to be wrapped in cotton wool, but I doubt that Harry would be agreeable.
He needs to realize, and I think he is learning in his own way, that his choices and actions create consequences for other people. The British army has now decided that his presence in the recon. unit places "unacceptable risk" to himself and to his command. Most people in the world have such things to learn: that our actions and choices create consequences and results for other people, and that is why when we make selfish choices, it shows us to be selfish, and when we make choices out of concern for others, it shows that we are compassionate. Being denied Iraq service may make Harry feel bad, but he should feel good knowing that it was a rational, well-thought-out decision, reached by rational professionals, and that Harry's non-deployment takes out a very unnecessary risk to those who must deploy to Iraq.
Harry may feel bad not going to Iraq, but he may take heart from knowing that his father would feel much worse if he did go to Iraq and was killed.
Old 05-20-2007, 12:56 AM
Courtier

Prince Harry in Afghanistan speculation

Well we know this isn't going to happen as it was picked up by the news, or I hope that the MoD understands that gravity of letting out a little information to those who aren't in the need to know.

Prince Harry in Afghanistan speculation

Prince Harry, who was last week stopped from joining his regiment's deployment to Iraq, could be sent to join troops in Afghanistan.
The British newspaper The News of the World reported it had information about plans for the 22-year-old officer, third in line to the throne, to join the fight against the Taliban, but was withholding key details.

Prince Harry in Afghanistan speculation - World - theage.com.au

Maybe MoD will get it right this time and keep the right-to-know information kept to a minimum.

MoD seeks news blackout on Harry's future army moves

Revelations about the deployment of Prince Harry to a war zone will be censored if the government agrees to a proposal that future information surrounding his military career is covered by a D-notice.
A D-notice - an official request to newspaper editors not to publish items on specified subjects for reasons of national security - can apply to individuals if there is thought to be a 'grave threat' to their safety.

Bid to censor press over prince's army deployment | UK News | The Observer
Old 05-20-2007, 06:54 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Many 2nd son's live with the fact without any problems. The eldest son inherits the lot, normally has a ready made career, the family home, jewels and investments. It is the first born eldest girl that you should feel sorry for, she is not considered worthy of inheriting as much as her younger brothers! :hedwig:

Harry could quit Army to do charity work

Prince Harry may decide to leave the Army to pursue a new role carrying out charity work, according to his friends.

Harry could quit Army to do charity work | Uk News | News | Telegraph
Old 05-20-2007, 03:45 PM
Nobility

like this will ever work with the modern media
Old 05-20-2007, 04:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
Many 2nd son's live with the fact without any problems. The eldest son inherits the lot, normally has a ready made career, the family home, jewels and investments. It is the first born eldest girl that you should feel sorry for, she is not considered worthy of inheriting as much as her younger brothers! :hedwig:

Harry could quit Army to do charity work

Prince Harry may decide to leave the Army to pursue a new role carrying out charity work, according to his friends.

Harry could quit Army to do charity work | Uk News | News | Telegraph

I'd hate to see him leave the Army (partly because he looks good in uniform, but that's another story), but if he chooses to do so, he has a big heart and I can see him making an impact helping others. He inherited that from his mother. I don't believe people who say that he acts all lovey-dovey around children for the cameras.....I think there's genuine affection there and he could put it to good use.
Old 05-20-2007, 05:04 PM
Nobility

Has he been back to the orphanage in Lasotheo?
Old 05-20-2007, 06:30 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRH Kimetha

Revelations about the deployment of Prince Harry to a war zone will be censored if the government agrees to a proposal that future information surrounding his military career is covered by a D-notice.
A D-notice - an official request to newspaper editors not to publish items on specified subjects for reasons of national security - can apply to individuals if there is thought to be a 'grave threat' to their safety.

Bid to censor press over prince's army deployment | UK News | The Observer
I wonder why it didn't occur to these people to do this right from the start. Can it really have been incompetence, or what on earth were they thinking? They must know what the press is like where the young royals are concerned, and minor considerations like national security wouldn't have made any difference to them.
Old 05-20-2007, 06:32 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine
I'd hate to see him leave the Army (partly because he looks good in uniform, but that's another story), but if he chooses to do so, he has a big heart and I can see him making an impact helping others. He inherited that from his mother. I don't believe people who say that he acts all lovey-dovey around children for the cameras.....I think there's genuine affection there and he could put it to good use.

I always love it when people say that he inherited his caring side from his mother.

What about his father - who has been caring for others since long before Diana came on the scene - the Princes TRust was set up in the 70s. The RF has spent its life, for most of the last 100 years 'caring for others' in the way that Diana did. They just didn't make sure that the cameras were there to photograph them doing the job.

The Queen went to a leper colony in the 1950s and raised awareness of that disease but of course Harry couldn't inherit a caring side from the Windsors could he? Anne has been heavily been involved with caring for children since she was a young woman - she just doesn't need cameras around her to do the job - of course Harry couldn't get any idea about caring for people from his Aunt Anne.

All his good qualities must come from Diana and all his bad from Charles - give me a break - his father's family have been in the caring business for a long time e.g. Edward VII going to visit the poverty stricken areas of London and then getting extremely upset when he wasn't allowed to vote on the Housing Bill that came out of the committee set up to investigate the housing situation. Edward VIII's famous 'something must be done' when seeing the miners conditions during the Depression. George VI worked with youth throughout his time as Duke of York.

You get my point, I hope - Harry has ancestors on both sides of his family who have cared for people not just from his mother.
Old 05-20-2007, 06:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissy57
I always love it when people say that he inherited his caring side from his mother.

What about his father - who has been caring for others since long before Diana came on the scene - the Princes TRust was set up in the 70s. The RF has spent its life, for most of the last 100 years 'caring for others' in the way that Diana did. They just didn't make sure that the cameras were there to photograph them doing the job.

The Queen went to a leper colony in the 1950s and raised awareness of that disease but of course Harry couldn't inherit a caring side from the Windsors could he? Anne has been heavily been involved with caring for children since she was a young woman - she just doesn't need cameras around her to do the job - of course Harry couldn't get any idea about caring for people from his Aunt Anne.

All his good qualities must come from Diana and all his bad from Charles - give me a break - his father's family have been in the caring business for a long time e.g. Edward VII going to visit the poverty stricken areas of London and then getting extremely upset when he wasn't allowed to vote on the Housing Bill that came out of the committee set up to investigate the housing situation. Edward VIII's famous 'something must be done' when seeing the miners conditions during the Depression. George VI worked with youth throughout his time as Duke of York.

You get my point, I hope - Harry has ancestors on both sides of his family who have cared for people not just from his mother.

I wasn't implying that no one in his family, ever ever forever ever in the history of the British monarchy has cared for people other than his mother. HOWEVER, what we most remember seeing from Diana was the works she did with children, especially those afflicted with AIDS. I distinctly remember a photo of her hugging a child who had AIDS during a time when people thought you could still contract it through casual contact. I was merely drawing upon one similarity I see in him and his mother.
Old 05-20-2007, 07:54 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
Can it really have been incompetence, or what on earth were they thinking?
That's the thing...they weren't thinking. Or, not thinking on Earth! Bunch of dummies!
Old 05-20-2007, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Has he been back to the orphanage in Lasotheo?
According to the Sentebale official site and also the Prince of Wales official site, there is a Sentebale unit in the UK and actually Sentebale is working concurrently with a fund that both Princes william and harry set up for the Diana concert, and Sentebale will draw some of the money raised from the concert. So I think he is working a lot for Sentebale in ways that we don't see. Plus, the cofounder, Prince What-is-his-name of Lesotho, has an office in London, it seems, and works a lot helping the princes coordinate everything.
I can see Harry making a long career in the army and managing charitable contributions all the same. His uncle was able to do it. I think Prince Harry feels a lot of pressure to serve in a warzone like his uncle but he should cut himself a break. Really, he should let is be what it is. The Iraq war is much entirely different from the Falklands squabble. That Falklands conflict looks like cake compared to Iraq. The dangers in Harry's case are much more extreme. Let's be real. He should stop comparing himself to past wars and his elders. He is in an entirely unique situation, ripe with fresh and much more extreme dangers. Terrorism today is not what it was in 1982 or whatever.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:48 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine
I wasn't implying that no one in his family, ever ever forever ever in the history of the British monarchy has cared for people other than his mother. HOWEVER, what we most remember seeing from Diana was the works she did with children, especially those afflicted with AIDS. I distinctly remember a photo of her hugging a child who had AIDS during a time when people thought you could still contract it through casual contact. I was merely drawing upon one similarity I see in him and his mother.
Different people are struck by different images. I had followed Audrey Hepburn during her early work in Africa with children dying of starvation of AIDS so by the time Diana came on the scene holding a child with AIDS it was great but it was the second time I had seen such an image and so it probably wasn't as striking to me as much as it was to you.

I would agree Harry is a very caring young man; I didn't think much of where he got it from; regardless of where he got it from, I think its an admirable trait and am very happy to see it.

"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Closed Thread

Tags
prince harry