Prince Harry Current Events 22: November 2007-July 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Warren

Administrator in Memoriam
City
Sydney
Country
Australia
UKPrinceHenryofWales.gif

Arms of HRH Prince Harry of Wales

Welcome to the Prince Harry current events thread, part 19

commencing 6 November 2007

Part 18, covering the period June to November 2007 can be found here

Im not Surprised (but also thiink he wasnt the won who shot it ) :)

No charges against Prince Harry
BBC NEWS | England | Norfolk | No charges against Prince Harry
The Royal Society for the Protection of Birds say they are disappointed with the outcome and described the shooting of hen harriers as an extremely serious crime.

They said a warden monitoring the harriers saw the birds being hit and heard a shot but did not see the shooter.

However, the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) said: "The bodies of the hen harriers have not been found and there is no forensic or ballistic evidence."

CPS lawyer Andrew Baxter added: "I am satisfied the police investigation has been thorough and there are no other areas of investigation which can be pursued."

I'm not surprised either because it never seemed like the police had a lot of solid evidence with which to go forward. Unfortunately, it is likely to become a cold case file. That the warden was monitoring the birds suggests there was an attempt to breed them in the area. But there may be a positive outcome after all. The conservation group might monitor the area more carefully, and Prince Harry might borrow some birds' picture books from that wonderful library I know they have at Sandringham; who knows, it might even be his first foray into a library in many years, since his A Levels or something. :)

yes, I do not think that justice has been done:glare: wonder if there any good commentaries in newspapers about this case. Hope someone gave him an earfull, his father and grandmother for instance.
Prince Harry not charged over shot rare birds - Telegraph

A spokesman for the RSPB said: "We are very disappointed that nobody is going to be brought to book for this particular crime. It's yet another two hen harriers that have been shot illegally with nobody being brought to book.
"We regard the persecution of hen harriers as one of the most serious wildlife crimes. There are 20 pairs in England and it is one of the country's rarest birds of prey.
"We remain concerned no-one has been prosecuted."

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree that it is shameful but it would be equally shameful to prosecute someone who didn't do it just because he is a Prince.

Without the carcasses it would be virtually impossible to successfully prosecute anyone as their isn't enough evidence to show which gun/s made the fatal shots.

If their is enough evidence (and I am assuming with my comment above that we have been given all the evidence that the police and investigators actually have) then prosecutions should be brought against whoever shot the birds, regardless of their title.

Yes, I agree with chrissy. It would be very bad to charge someone just for the sake of being seen to take action. Many times public people like Harry find the police make an example of them and charge them just because it makes the police look like they are doing something. So it's a dangerous and questionable issue. If anyone is charged, there must be good and solid proof against them. Don't have the police do a Cornelius Fudge and put a Hagrid in Azkaban just to be seen to be doing something.... :ermm: They do that a lot, everywhere, and it's horrible.

Yes, I agree with chrissy. It would be very bad to charge someone just for the sake of being seen to take action. Many times public people like Harry find the police make an example of them and charge them just because it makes the police look like they are doing something.
To me the fact that 2 endangered birds were seen to be shot and upon checking who was in the area that day, the only people were Harry and his friend, accompanied by a gamekeeper.

If it had been good old Joe Nobody, there would have been a full and complete investigation, (rather than the 'did you do it, no, oh OK then off you go') and then with or without the carcases he would probably have been charged. :rolleyes: For the police to question Harry as an official suspect, they must have been pretty sure he was involved ("Prince Harry, third in line to the throne, had been interviewed as an official suspect by police, along with William van Cutsem, 28, a family friend, and David Clarke, 58, a Sandringham gamekeeper). I wonder if they took his fingerprints and DNA as they would a 'normal' suspect, I think not.

Hen Harriers are persecuted on many shooting estates because they are believed to eat the chicks and adults of the birds the 'sportsmen and women' want to shoot for fun. It is not a case of blaming Harry because of who he is, it's because he and his friend and gamekeeper were shooting in the area at the exact time these birds were shot.

Last edited:
Even, without the carcases and any spent shot gun shells? I also believe that there must have been more beined themnot chargeingany one with anything. Besides without the carcaseshow can they be sure that the birds wre shot at just because Three people said they saw them being shot. They did not even find anywounded Hen Harriers did they?

Besides without the carcaseshow can they be sure that the birds wre shot at just because Three people said they saw them being shot. They did not even find anywounded Hen Harriers did they?
The people concerned were watching the spectacle of these two rare birds in flight - "were witnessed by a staff member of Natural England, the government's conservation agency which runs the nature reserve, and two members of the public".
Prince Harry quizzed by police about shooting of rare birds | Special reports | Guardian Unlimited
It is common practise, by people who shoot protected bird species, to bury or burn the carcases as quickly as possible. The fact that they were unable to find the carcases shows that it was a deliberate act of concealment by those involved in the shooting. What they don't realise is the biggest danger to the 'game bird' and it's chicks, is the people who shoot them for fun! :rolleyes:

I think it's suspicious as well. Don't they use trained dogs to retrieve the birds? Our dog trains at a Red Cross Rescue Dog Squadron to become a rescue dog and when I see how quick trained dogs are in finding the things they should, I guess a well-trained retriever dog is able to find the carcasses within minutes of them being shot. Don't they have retrievers at Sandringham? And of course, then the carcasses are gone for good, were probably before the police even arrived.

Couldn't just as easily been that the members of Natural England reported something that did not happen since probably do not like hunting anyway and further more it would make Prince Harry and his hunting look like idiots for having shot endangered birds. The shot gun shell would prove nothing unless the police had found the dead birds since they were hunting with shot guns.

Couldn't just as easily been that the members of Natural England reported something that did not happen since probably do not like hunting anyway and further more it would make Prince Harry and his hunting look like idiots for having shot endangered birds.
So you think they managed to choose a day when Harry was once again not at work, (that had not been announced) and decided to invent a 'story' to make Harry look like an idiot? They could not have had any idea when they went out to watch the Hen Harriers that Harry and his friend would be out shooting and as for doing it to make Harry look an idiot, why on earth would they bother, he manages to do that on a regular basis himself, without any aid!

Couldn't just as easily been that the members of Natural England reported something that did not happen since probably do not like hunting anyway and further more it would make Prince Harry and his hunting look like idiots for having shot endangered birds. The shot gun shell would prove nothing unless the police had found the dead birds since they were hunting with shot guns.

We should see the facts, everything speaks for Harry and his friend as the hunters of these birds. I´m sure CH had given an official statement, if they were not guilty of doing that.
I´m sad to see Harry again making bad headlines, but i´m also sad that he will not be punished if his guilty. ( I only hope his father will teach him a lesson....)

Last edited:
Personally, I am suspicious too, but I always try to be positive and see the best side of things and people. The thing is, I believe Harry and his friend probably are guilty, but I also appreciate how things work, and one thing that never happens is someone like HRH Prince Harry being charged on merely circumstantial evidence. The lack of physical evidence is suspect, yes, but the fact remains, it doesn't exist, whether it was taken care of or not, it is not there to be used in a court of law. That being the case, there will not be any charges brought, and yes it is injustice and it's sad, but what can you do? That is the way the world works. When you are HRH Prince Harry, you have people to cover up whatever you do. I mean, we can complain.... we can write letters to people. We can say how unjust it is. But how can we change it?

Prince Harry has threatened to quit the Army after military bosses refused to send him to Afghanistan because of continued fears for his safety.

The Prince, a second lieutenant in the Household Cavalry, had been told there was a chance he could be posted to Afghanistan last month with C squadron, but he was banned from going just weeks before the troops departed.

The last-minute intervention was the second major blow for the Prince who was banned from going to Iraq with the Blues and Royals in May over fears he would be a terrorist target.

The Prince made clear in an interview following his training at Sandhurst that he wanted to fight with his men on the front line.
Source: "Prince Harry: Send me to Afghanistan or I quit army," The Daily Mail, 10 November 2007http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=492941&in_page_id=1770

After a week of twiddling his thumbs at his Windsor barracks, Harry was back in London for another night out on Friday - with a young brunette who was a dead-ringer for his old acquaintance Natalie Pinkham.

The Prince partied until the early hours of Saturday at Amika nightclub in Kensington with a group of five friends. Harry, who was overheard boasting that he planned to get "as drunk as possible", ran up a £2,500 bar bill over the course of two hours and knocked back passionfruit vodka shots.

With girlfriend Chelsy Davy absent, he spent most of the night chatting to the mystery brunette, who bore an uncanny resemblance to TV presenter Miss Pinkham, who has enjoyed a number of nights out with Harry and was once pictured in an embrace with him before he met Chelsy.
Source: Kay, Nathan: "Harry spends night on the town with mystery brunette," The Daily Mail, 10 November 2007
I wonder if this Nathan Kay is related to Richard. :doh:

Last edited:
In a case that could have flown straight from a CSI episode, British prosecutors have said they will not charge Prince Harry in the shooting deaths of two rare birds – because they can't find the bodies.

"The bodies of the hen harriers have not been found and there is no forensic or ballistic evidence," the Norfolk Crown Prosecution Service admitted in a statement to PEOPLE.
Last month the prince ruffled many feathers in the British media who reveled in him being questioned over the incident at Sandringham, a royal country estate. Two witnesses said they heard gunshots before seeing two hen harriers – protected birds of prey – plummet out of the sky.

Prince Harry, 23, and a friend were nearby at the time of the shooting but a royal spokesperson told PEOPLE the prince was not involved in the incident.
Source: Prince Harry Cleared in Bird Shooting Incident, (US) People magazine, 7 November 2007

We need to talk about Harry. Knocking back a bottle of vodka while drunken rugby players egg you on is not a good look. Nor is being snapped sprawled in the gutter outside a night club after an altercation with the paparazzi. And to be interviewed by the police, as he was last week, following the slaughter of two birds of prey can only heap more shame on the House of Windsor.

Just how low can this prince of the realm sink? When will he face up to the responsibilities incurred by his position? Shouldn't his father… I could go on like so many do but I won't.

I cannot join in with the pursed-lip snipers who take aim at Prince Harry on a regular basis and who, with every utterance, betray their class prejudice and latent republicanism (although I have some sympathy with the class prejudice and the republicanism)....
Read More: Hunt, Liz: "Something about Prince Harry ... that I like," The Daily Telegraph 4 November 2007

Last edited:

Liz Hunt wrote in this article:
Harry has the potential to be a great asset to the Royal Family - like his mother but without the paranoia and the self-obsession of her later years. He needs to grow up, of course, and it is unfortunate that the one thing that could bestow maturity on him, the chance to prove himself on active service, is the one thing denied him.

I have no doubt that is what Harry wants most and his frustration is the root cause of his occasionally oikish behaviour. Surely it is not beyond the wit of the Armed Forces to give him a more meaningful role without compromising the safety of others?
This was the final part of her article. It is very thought provoking for me. Especially the emboldened bit.
Serving in Afghanistan would, indeed, mature him. Though it could also kill him, or lead to killing or injuring one of his brother soldiers.

Last edited:
I think he should've went despite the risks...when he was denied I think he felt worthless in a lot of ways. And that makes him act out...

Prince Harry is the victim of a "dirty tricks" campaign over the alleged killing of two birds of prey at Sandringham, his friends fear.

Two rare hen harriers "killed" while hovering over the Queen's Norfolk estate were not even shot at, those close to the Prince now suspect.

Friends of the Prince, 23, are angry that the Royal Family has been dragged into the affair despite no firm evidence that any bird of prey was illegally killed - and Harry could be the victim of a campaign by the anti-shooting lobby.
The Sunday Telegraph has learnt that senior staff at Sandringham - the Queen's country house in Norfolk which has a 600?acre estate - have carried out their own investigation into the "shooting" with the help of the "suspects", Prince Harry, his friend William van Cutsem, 28, and David Clarke, a gamekeeper.
Source: Alderson, Andrew: "'Dirty tricks' claim in Prince Harry 'shooting'," The Sunday Telegraph, 11 November 2007, READ ON

of course we don't know if she is his girlfriend, but oh my, she is so beautiful...more beautiful than chelsy in all case.:)

Psychoduck, I agree. The brunette is gorgeous. I think Chelsy is very pretty too, but this brunette girl, who I think does not look like that TV presenter (Pinkham), has a lovely face. The DM says she looks like Pinkham, but I do not see it.... The mystery brunette has a softer look, for one thing. I think they both have brown hair and that is the "resemblance". :D

Source: Prince Harry Cleared in Bird Shooting Incident, (US) People magazine, 7 November 2007 - Last month the prince ruffled many feathers in the British media who reveled in him being questioned over the incident at Sandringham, a royal country estate. Two witnesses said they heard gunshots before seeing two hen harriers – protected birds of prey – plummet out of the sky
I think the headline should have read 'NOT CHARGED', as opposed to cleared! 2. Even all the media reports in the UK agree it was three people who witnessed the incident! :rolleyes:
Prince Harry is the victim of a "dirty tricks" campaign over the alleged killing of two birds of prey at Sandringham, his friends fear.

Two rare hen harriers "killed" while hovering over the Queen's Norfolk estate were not even shot at, those close to the Prince now suspect.

Friends of the Prince, 23, are angry that the Royal Family has been dragged into the affair despite no firm evidence that any bird of prey was illegally killed - and Harry could be the victim of a campaign by the anti-shooting lobby.
The Sunday Telegraph has learnt that senior staff at Sandringham - the Queen's country house in Norfolk which has a 600?acre estate - have carried out their own investigation into the "shooting" with the help of the "suspects", Prince Harry, his friend William van Cutsem, 28, and David Clarke, a gamekeeper.
Natural England remains adamant that the hen harriers were killed and says that one of its staff clearly saw the shooting and that the bodies of the birds must have been hidden........ The pro-shooting lobby suspects that an anti-shooting group
Now who do I believe - the witnesses who could not have known that Harry was not at work or that he was at Sandringham or friends of Harry (van Cutsem and David Clark, perhaps) and Sandringham 'staff', read 'biased anti Hen Harrier head gamekeepers'? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Well, as I said before, I feel that this hen harrier case is one of those things which will........ how can I say it more clearly? Being HRH Prince Harry, he is going to be protected and covered up by powerful people. If he is guilty, it doesn't matter because the "right' people are on his side.

If he is not guilty, well.... good for him.

But it's really no use for us to go on about how unfair it is....... unless there is something we can do! Any ideas? Letter writing campaign? I don't know. If you can give me an idea of what to do, great. But I don't understand the point of saying on the forums how unfair it is..... Everyone knows it is unfair.

I'm sure Harry won't have another girlfriend for awhile.

That girl looks more like a brunette version of Chelsy than Natalie.

But I don't understand the point of saying on the forums how unfair it is..... Everyone knows it is unfair.
I don't believe I have said it's unfair, I said it's shameful that it appears to have been swept under the carpet. I also pointed out from the article you posted, that stated that 'Harry had been cleared', that he wasn't, there was insufficient evidence to charge him and that is a big difference, they had also got the number of witnesses wrong.

I also gave my reasons for disbelieving the article that quotes the pro hunting lobby, that is as willing as ever to jump on any bandwagon.

All any of us can do on the forums is to put our opinion and hopefully the reason for it, when discussing any article posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom