Prince Harry Current Events 18: March 2007-May 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Avalon

Heir Apparent
City
Yerevan
Country
Armenia

PrinceHarry.gif

Arms of HRH Prince Henry of Wales

Welcome to Part 15 of the Current Events of
Prince Harry

It starts on March 30, 2007

Part 14, covering period from 5 March to 30 March
can be found here.

I saw the report on ABC last night about Harry (and William). A rather sensible comment was made that the RF needs Harry so that William's exploits seem tame in comparison (or that William's activities are not scrutinized at all).

Hello Magazine has also reported that Harry has picked up a new patronage, continuing his interest in Africa. My guess is that Harry's charitable interests aren't entertaining to the masses, and this aspect of Harry's character will be ignored.

Somehow I don't like the idea that Harry is being pushed into a bad boy role to make William look good.

I don't think for a second that the RF is trying to make Harry look bad to make a contrast with the 'good' William.
However I think the Media is trying to make Harry look bad. Just because it need the eternal The Good and The Bad one. Princess Margaret was the bad one for Queen Elizabeth. Prince Andrew was the bad one for Prince Charles. Prince Harry must be the bad for William.

Hardly anyone is interested in Prince Harry's charities, people are more interested in the pictures of seemingly drunk Harry. And the Media sells what people want to buy.

I'm not suggesting there's a plot in the RF to make Harry look bad. I think what ABC was trying to say was that, as in many families, patterns tend to be repeated. Look at George V's family, for example. The Prince of Wales' activities were largely ignored (although they should have been scrutinized!), while the activities of the young Duke of Kent were more publicized. Then you have "good" Elizabeth and "naughty" Margaret. Then again, you have "good" Prince of Wales versus "naughty" Anne (and to a lesser extent because of the age difference, "Randy Andy" and Edward). It's just a pattern in the family behavior, combined with increasing press coverage of the Royals.

I tried to think of the "good v. bad" pattern further back, but it doesn't work. All of George III's sons were scandalous, and their activities were widely reported. I don't think any of Victoria's younger children could have competed with Albert Edward (Edward VII), and George V was moral rectitude personified when compared with his elder brother, the heir, the Duke of Clarence.

iowabelle said:
... George V was moral rectitude personified when compared with his elder brother, the heir, the Duke of Clarence.
Queen Victoria's grandson the Duke of Clarence and Avondale had bad press, even to the point of people accusing him of being Jack the Ripper.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, that's what I meant, CasiraghiTrio. In the case of the Duke of Clarence and Avondale, the older son was the "bad one" in the media versus the younger Duke of York (the future George V). So, if you go past George V's immediate family, you don't see the pattern of the "virtuous" heir and scandalous siblings. (And while I don't think the D. of C and A was Jack the Ripper, his behavior seems to have alarmed everyone except his adoring mother.)

ysbel said:
Somehow I don't like the idea that Harry is being pushed into a bad boy role to make William look good.
Well, William will be King and Harry will not. Right there lies the problem. I'm not saying that William is some deviant behind closed doors and Harry's falling down on the sidewalk needs to cover that, but I'm sure whoever is behind this PR move is trying to make the future King come out looking somewhat saintly. That's not a smart move, because a) it will in time cause a rift between the two brothers, what with one constantly portrayed as a bumbling idiot and the other the stoic older brother who has to tolerate him....which I'm sure Harry will resent and b) it'll make William look worse if whatever exploits he is involved with somehow leak out at a later date.

Avalon said:
However I think the Media is trying to make Harry look bad. Just because it need the eternal The Good and The Bad one. Princess Margaret was the bad one for Queen Elizabeth. Prince Andrew was the bad one for Prince Charles. Prince Harry must be the bad for William.
Hardly anyone is interested in Prince Harry's charities, people are more interested in the pictures of seemingly drunk Harry. And the Media sells what people want to buy.
Maybe people will one day get sick of this and change their tune. Probably not, but it's good to hope right? Harry is far more than what a few pictures of him soused show. I would like to think that deep-down, people ARE more interested in the charity work he does. However, that may be a bit of wishful thinking on my part.

More leave, but Harry hasn't even gone to war yet

When Prince Harry joined the Army, he insisted he wanted to be treated like any other officer.
But it seems the wayward young Royal is being given special treatment even before he sets foot in war-torn Iraq next month.

More leave, but Harry hasn't even gone to war yet | the Daily Mail

Harry and the rest of his troop have requested and been granted 2 weeks R+R, I don't see the problem. If he wants to go and play polo for his fathers team, good for him. Perhaps the members from his unit want to go and play football in the park, do we see any articles condemning them or what they intend doing with their 2 weeks R+R?
It is usual to allow any member of the services leave for a memorial service, are they saying because he is Prince Harry he should not be allowed the same compassion as any other serviceman or woman?

Skydragon said:
It is usual to allow any member of the services leave for a memorial service, are they saying because he is Prince Harry he should not be allowed the same compassion as any other serviceman or woman?
Of course they aren't! It's just that when he takes that leave they will then say he's been given special treatment. :bang:

Basically it's a lose lose situation. :angry:

Harry to face Army carpeting

Prince Harry is to receive a severe dressing down from his Army superiors over his late-night antics.
The 22-year-old will be told before he leaves for a six-month posting in Iraq next month that he must curb his drinking and behave impeccably at all times.

Harry to face Army carpeting | the Daily Mail

This 'dressing down' is probably news to his CO and every 'superior officer' on the unit. He will get the standard 'don't do this', 'no alcohol' talk that everyone going to Iraq or Afghanistan gets, but that wouldn't sell, would it! :bang:

Maybe Daddy told them to put a bug in his ear.

James Bond star Daniel Craig has topped GQ magazine's annual list of the most stylish celebrities,

Prince Harry became the first Royal to be included in the poll, in 10th place.

(source bbc website)

Oh no! Prince William and Prince Harry are "out of control"! They are putting themselves in peril! At those nightclubs, they could be attacked by terrorists, for crying out loud! :bang: :ROFLMAO:

Could partly be that Harry is a fully trained Officer who is going deployed within weeks and though William is an Officer is not fully trained deployable Recce Veihicle (sp)Troop Leader?

That last Daily Mail story just kills me. :lol: I guess they might be attacked by terrorists in Boujis, just like anyone might be attacked by terrorists going to the market, or hit by a bus, hehe. They're so dramatic. Geez.... if Prince Harry's bodyguards are so worried, then they need to (and must be doing, despite Daily Mail claims) confer and address the concerns, and not leak through unnamed sources about the concerns, thus further "endangering" the royals. :rolleyes:

CasiraghiTrio said:
That last Daily Mail story just kills me. :lol: I guess they might be attacked by terrorists in Boujis, just like anyone might be attacked by terrorists going to the market, or hit by a bus, :rolleyes:
As my father used to say, the whole story is balderdash and piffle! :lol:

My friend is an officer in the army and he once said that they were told that once they became a commissioned officer, that had to be at the forefront of their mind no matter what. For example, if they were at home on leave and were out with friends they should remember to behave in a manner that was befitting of an army officer ie not getting drunk and then getting into trouble etc. It's just a bit unfortunate for poor Harry that he has a swarm of papparazi following his every move as I'm sure he's not the only one who has maybe indulged a little too much some times.:lol:

They are all told that at all times they should remember that they are commissioned officers in the service of their Queen and country. As my sons and daughters come from a service background, they also all know that their own time, out of uniform, is their own. :flowers:

Last edited:
Prince Harry In the Carribbean with Chelsy

Prince Harry in the Carribbean with Chelsy

The Sun Online - News: Harry's 6,000 mile goodbye

I thought Prince Harry was in the 'doghouse' and was under the commanders orders to not to 'party'? Boy, those papers get it wrong all the time!

Also, how much time off do the British army get? There seems so much time being taken off for both princes that it seems to be an awful lot.:)

From the article:
Harry is on three weeks’ leave now that his pre-war training is complete.

This is standard. A chance to "tie everything up"/put their affairs in order should they not return.

Harry, being a young single man with few responsibilities, is spending some time with his girlfriend. Rather common for soldiers of his bearing.

But of course, because its PRINCE Harry, Third in line to the THRONE, EVERYTHING must be BLOWN OUT OF PROPORTION as he is the FIRST PERSON EVER!!! to do these things.

I need an eyeroll the size of a bowling ball right now.

Suonymona said:
From the article:
Harry is on three weeks’ leave now that his pre-war training is complete.

This is standard. A chance to "tie everything up"/put their affairs in order should they not return.

Harry, being a young single man with few responsibilities, is spending some time with his girlfriend. Rather common for soldiers of his bearing.

But of course, because its PRINCE Harry, Third in line to the THRONE, EVERYTHING must be BLOWN OUT OF PROPORTION as he is the FIRST PERSON EVER!!! to do these things.

We shouldn't forget that prince Harry spend a long time in Leseotho, seeing the misery there himself. When he returned he tried to change things there on founding Sentebale. He has just accepted the chair of another charity for Africa. In Iracq he will see what war really means - he will be faced with nameless and faceless enemies and he will see so many dead bodies that he will loose count of them. That's his future. IMHO he will again come back a changed person.

And all the media can talk about is his getting drunk occassionally and holidaying in the Caribbean. Apart from being a prince, he's a multimillionaire and need not do anything to serve his country.

HRH Kimetha said:
Also, how much time off do the British army get? There seems so much time being taken off for both princes that it seems to be an awful lot.:)
They are entitled to 30 working days (that excludes Saturday and Sunday) paid leave and all bank holidays, or days in lieu. :flowers:

Skydragon, how many days would you Harry has actually taken since he commissioned and what about William?

kpusa1981 said:
Skydragon, how many days would you Harry has actually taken since he commissioned and what about William?

there isnt always a seamless matchup between assignments in the military. i know many enlisted people and they often have free periods of weeks or even months in between their assignments.

they're not taking vacation time for this, its just that their new job doesnt start till a specific date. I suspect this is Harry's situation as well since, as you said, he seems to have a lot of free time.

Suonymona said:
Absolutely! I agree with this. I also would like an eyeroll big enough to get the point across. :ROFLMAO:

Oh dear, I wouldn't say no to staying there as well - a true paradise!
Harry and Chelsy surely do know how to spend some quality time together. The pool and the master bedroom are splendid.

5 bedrooms might be a bit to much just for two of them though, unless friends are staying with them.

It is the same as any job. The down side is that they are expected to be on immediate call even outside 'normal hours' and they do not receive any overtime payment. :ohmy:

Once they leave training and join their regiment as a commissioned officer, normal hours are 8 to 5, Monday to Friday, unless they are on a training exercise or operations. So the weekends and evenings are normally theirs to do what they want with. All personel about to go to a conflict zone are given extra leave, to spend time with loved ones and get their affairs in order, (and eat their parents out of house and home)!

As for how much holiday Harry has taken of his entitlement, I'm afraid you will have to ask Harry! :flowers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom