Prince Harry Current Events 18: March 2007-May 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ysbel said:
Fairness, I think, can work both ways; if William and Harry are seen as receiving special privileges, this fact could cause resentment among the ranks; but if they get dressed down for behavior that their colleagues do quite regularly without the same type of ramifications, then the notion of equality and fair play among fighting men can be lost.
Dressing downs rarely happen to officers, young or old. A few years ago, a group of young officers 'took' a micra from the car park one night (I believe it belonged to a private) and put it on the table in the officers mess. The only thing they had to do was get it removed and ensure it was in working order and undamaged. As there was no damage to another person, it was seen as young officers letting off steam. :rolleyes:

From my experience of the miltary, there will have been no telling off, just a friendly word to try to keep it quiet in future, ie change nightclubs.

yeah Remember Pray for his safety and his groups too.....:flowers:

Commanders reportedly had reconsidered their decision to allow the prince to fight in Iraq for fear he would become a target of insurgents and his presence could endanger other soldiers. Harry's regiment, the Blues and Royals, is due to begin a six-month tour of duty in Iraq within weeks.
Way To GO!! You are going to Iraq Harry.

And when he gets his head sliced off in front of the world's media, I hope Mr Blair and Mr Bush can have some respite from seeing his face everytime they close their eyes.

That is a HORRIBLE thing to say. I pray for his safety every day.

So do I but there's no denying that this is playing into the hands of terrorists. I love Harry, I love his family and I pray to all the Gods you like that he'll be safe. But this is a mistake IMO. A big mistake. And it can only end in sorrow and heartache.

I don't think it is a good idea for him to go to war. First of all there is such a negative impact now on the war that many people have switch sides and think the war is no longer needed. Secondly, if it is true that they have received threats of kidnapping the prince, this should ring a bell. Such things should not be taken lightly and yes it can endanger his comarades. He can be considered as a target now for these people. Very sad indeed!

Kelly said:
I don't think it is a good idea for him to go to war. ..... He can be considered as a target now for these people. Very sad indeed!
He is being called a bullet magnet (among other things) on all of the Forces Forums. Many of the relatives support forums are also on overload with editing and deleting keeping the moderators very busy.

I don't think this is a good idea. I'll pray for the safety of him and all of those around him every day.

It is WHAT Harry wants to do? You have to think about his feelings as well.

No you don't. He's a soldier. He's told where to go. He isn't in charge. Other people are and those people must be damn mad to send him into almost certain death.

cowarth said:
It is WHAT Harry wants to do? You have to think about his feelings as well.
I have to agree with BeatrixFan here. It isn't about personal choice, if it was, then the 100's of other personel he will put at risk would also be able to have their feelings taken into account! I'm sure the last thing most of them want is to be put in further danger.

BeatrixFan said:
And when he gets his head sliced off in front of the world's media, I hope Mr Blair and Mr Bush can have some respite from seeing his face everytime they close their eyes.

I agree that this is a mistake. But, in reference to getting his head sliced off, I hope not. I do not care for the war or for the players in the war. But, I do respect Harry's desire to go. Or, he will always carry about him a feeling of emptiness in fighting a war that he was trained to do. It is not my desire to see anyone off to war. It is a senseless occupation. A poor reason to decrease the population and try out new weaponry that has been designed for disagreements. However, I'm behind Harry 100%. According to the latest articles on his going away party, he is jittery. I would be to. In fact, he is much braver than I, as I would be plotting a way to stay in jolly ole England rather than play in the Iraqi sandbox.:neutral:

That is very true thanks for the new perspective.

BeatrixFan said:
No you don't. He's a soldier. He's told where to go. He isn't in charge. Other people are and those people must be damn mad to send him into almost certain death.

Just as Prince Edward VIII who wanted to fight. In the end, he was not allowed. Harry should read what is being said in the papers by the insurgents. He will not be safe. He needs to approach his commanding officer and stress the dangers that he is going to face as he will be the target. Enough of the machoism. :neutral:

cowarth said:
Why did he attend Sandhurst?

He had good intentions. Action packed movies also help young men excited with "killing" and "destroying" the enemy. Harry is a Prince of England. He is bold, daring and loyal. A wonderful kind of man-boy spirit. The uniform, the military life and all that goes with it gets the adrenaline pumping. That's why he joined. He wanted to fight like the battles in the movies. And, on his Playstation war games.:)

That is a bad characterization of soldiers.

To become an Officer and and now hes off Too Iraq Ill to The Lord Each Morning and night that he and his men return safe at home. o and the Head sliced off comment thats very rude uncalled for and imo un-Patriotic
God Save Prince Henry of Wales and those who serve!
God Save The House of Windsor
God Save The Queen!!!!!!!!

Everyone here seems to assume the worst (and it is a horrible worst I agree).

but...

What if he makes it through the six month deployment with none of the insurgents getting near him and his troops - in other words the insurgents fail in their intention of getting him?

That would be a coup for the elected government in Iraq in showing that the insurgents aren't in control.

I agree that that is a gamble but it is another way of looking at the situation.

Either way this will be a propaganda coup for one side or the other.

Edward VIII did go to France and he served on the Western Front - he wasn't allowed to serve in the trenches. The Western Front did consist of more than just the front line trenches. The Staff Officers, those who did a lot of the planning (and yes there was planning) were behind the front lines and came under shelling and some were killed in these places. It was in these places (castles, chateau etc) that Edward VIII served throughout much of the war. By the way - do most of you realise the reason why most British generals didn't go to the front line trenches - they were ordered not to after 20 or so of them were killed in the first few months of the war. It wasn't that they didn't want to - they would have faced charges for disobeying direct orders if they did go.

In World War II George VI wanted to go to Normandy with the landing forces and was stopped by Churchill who said that he would go instead and the king said 'If I can't go nor can you' (effectively). Both men had seen active duty in earlier wars of course.

I am undecided about whether Harry should go because I can see the arguments both ways (and I am a Libran!!).

I do pray that all the troops serving overseas will return safely but I don't pray for any particular troops unless I know them personally (and I do currently have the sons/grandsons of three friends serving in Iraq). The comments of these people, by the way, is if their family members are in the firing line than the grandson of their Head of State should be there as well, regardless of the extra risks.

I've changed my view and now do not believe that Harry should go to Iraq if there's the slightest chance that he will put his troops in even more danger. What he wants is really an irrelevancy. I suspect, too, that the 'romance' of being in the army has ensnared him (supposedly for all of his young life) and that he'll get a very rude shock when he experiences the reality of war and particularly this war where civilians are bearing the brunt of the suffering, i.e. when Prince Andrew and Prince Philip went to war, it was against the army and the navy respectively, and civilians weren't part of the carnage.

As for 'why' he joined the army - well, many royal princes enlist in one arm or another of the Services; it's almost a right of passage. His other choice of career was to be a professional polo player, at which he apparently excels, but he wasn't permitted to make that choice because of polo's playboy image.

I wish Harry well and hope that he survives but no more than I wish it for his comrades in arm.

He and the men will be fine:) There well trained Lads!

Royal Fan said:
He and the men will be fine:) There well trained Lads!

All soldiers, who had died in Iraq (or elsewhere) were trained as well.

Personally I'm more inclined to the opinon he shouldn't go, but if that's Harry's decision and if the Army chief think it's the right think to do, then Good Luck to him and his soldiers. I hope they will all return unhurt physically or emotionally.

Royal Fan said:
o and the Head sliced off comment thats very rude uncalled for and imo un-Patriotic

IMO it was a realistic statement of the risk Harry faces.

Royal Fan said:
God Save Prince Henry of Wales and those who serve!
God Save The House of Windsor
God Save The Queen!!!!!!!!

The insurgents will be saying similar prayers about their own cause, and to the same God. Might be best to leave Him out of it this time.

Last edited:
cowarth said:
Why did he attend Sandhurst?
Everyone thought the Iraq war would be virtually over before a decision had to be made.

chrissy57 said:
.... (and I do currently have the sons/grandsons of three friends serving in Iraq). The comments of these people, by the way, is if their family members are in the firing line than the grandson of their Head of State should be there as well, regardless of the extra risks.
Perhaps that is because their family members will not be on the same base or in the same patrols.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom