The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 11:15 PM
Courtier

The MoD is taking a second look at Harry in Iraq

MoD to review Harry's Iraq role

The decision to send Prince Harry to Iraq is being reviewed by senior Army officers, it has emerged.

BBC NEWS | UK | MoD to review Harry's Iraq role

Old 04-26-2007, 12:06 AM
Heir Presumptive

Would this review possibly mean he won't be going? He sounded rather adamant about going and that he'd quit the army if he couldn't. Also, if they choose to keep him home, or at least not send him to Iraq, where would he go? He doesn't strike me as the type to be content with a desk job.

"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 04-26-2007, 03:38 AM
Courtier

Keep Harry away from fighting

Keep Harry away from fighting

SENIOR officers may ban Prince Harry from combat in Iraq to avert a disaster overtaking other soldiers, it has emerged.

The Sun Online - News: Keep Harry away from fighting

Wise move

April 26, 2007

COMMENT ON THIS STORY

NOBODY should doubt Prince Harrys personal courage or determination to lead his men into battle.

Like any other newly commissioned officer, he was ready to face the same risks as the soldiers under his command.

The Sun Online - Sun Says: Wise move
Old 04-26-2007, 03:58 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon
Prince Harry running with the Blues and Royals Regiment, Windsor, Berkshire, Britain - 24 Apr 2007

Pictures:
Prince Harry
Prince Harry 2

Gallery of pictures from Isifa

It looks like Harry is running alongside the men instead of with the men, so it appears he is actually leading the run.
Old 04-26-2007, 06:55 AM
Imperial Majesty

I would think Harry knows that the decision will be up for reveiw, right up to him getting on the plane. Here are two more articles, one rightly points out that it is a constant appraisal of the risks, not only to Harry but also the men around him.

UK constantly reviewing Prince Harry's Iraq stint

Prince Harry faces Iraq ban
Old 04-26-2007, 11:50 AM
Heir Apparent

Prince Harry sits with his companion Chelsy Davy as they enjoy the soccer game during the Champions League semifinal first leg match between Liverpool and Chelsea at Stamford Bridge in London.

Pictures:
Prince Harry and Chelsy
Prince Harry and Chelsy 2
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 04-26-2007, 01:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

I'm not really surprised his situation is being reviewed. However I know that Harry has always said he wanted to be treated like a normal soldier. Its an awkward situation. Do you risk him being killed in action or do you keep him home too ensure his safety?
Old 04-26-2007, 01:28 PM
Imperial Majesty

The problem isn't just him being killed in action, it's him being kidnapped and held to ransom for the British to get out of Iraq, and it's also the potential danger to the people around him because he's such a tempting target.

The question is whether he can be made to see that this is every bit as important a factor as his desire to be with his troops and to fight along with the rest of the army. He must know that, as far as the enemy is concerned, he isn't just any other soldier but a very valuable potential resource. On the other hand, keeping him behind when the troops deploy is going to make a lot of people wonder whether his army career is genuine and it may well foster resentment among people whose loved ones are being put in harm's way while he, however reluctantly, is exempted. This is beginning to look like a no-win situation.
Old 04-26-2007, 01:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
The problem isn't just him being killed in action, it's him being kidnapped and held to ransom for the British to get out of Iraq, and it's also the potential danger to the people around him because he's such a tempting target.

The question is whether he can be made to see that this is every bit as important a factor as his desire to be with his troops and to fight along with the rest of the army. He must know that, as far as the enemy is concerned, he isn't just any other soldier but a very valuable potential resource. On the other hand, keeping him behind when the troops deploy is going to make a lot of people wonder whether his army career is genuine and it may well foster resentment among people whose loved ones are being put in harm's way while he, however reluctantly, is exempted. This is beginning to look like a no-win situation.
It might not be a no-win situation if the Media had enough senses to keep quiet about it and not spill out every single detail they could find.
I know they will make good headlines whether Prince Harry gets killed, is forbiden to go or manages a distinguished military career. But it's about humans' lives, not headlines.
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 04-26-2007, 01:49 PM
Courtier

Ananova - 'Prince won't quit Army over Iraq'=
Old 04-26-2007, 01:53 PM
Imperial Majesty

Harry will not quit, say friends

Friends of Prince Harry have denied reports that he will quit the Army if he is not allowed to serve in Iraq

BBC NEWS | UK | Harry will not quit, say friends

Britain denies banning Iraq combat for Prince Harry

Britain's military denied newspaper reports on Thursday that it was banning Prince Harry from serving in combat in Iraq, but acknowledged his deployment was under review.

Britain denies banning Iraq combat for Prince Harry

Prince Harry is 'definitely' going to Iraq - but could take desk job

Prince Harry is 'definitely' going to Iraq but may be given a desk job, Clarence House sources revealed today

Prince Harry is 'definitely' going to Iraq - but could take desk job | News | This is London

A desk job in Iraq is no guarantee of safety.
Old 04-26-2007, 02:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
Prince Harry is 'definitely' going to Iraq - but could take desk job

Prince Harry is 'definitely' going to Iraq but may be given a desk job, Clarence House sources revealed today

Prince Harry is 'definitely' going to Iraq - but could take desk job | News | This is London

A desk job in Iraq is no guarantee of safety.
I'm sorry but what Clarence House source? As far as I know no official statement was made or is their source a maid or a butler?
Old 04-26-2007, 02:11 PM
Heir Presumptive

I Hope he gets to do what he went to The Army for the first place. Henry (especially since his Mother Passed) Has seemed to me as someone whos Dying to fit in , And is very restless And the Army gives him a chance to fit in and use his energy he could always change Regiments to take to another Service The Marines Perhaps (That would Heal the wound Left by the Earl of Wessex) JMHO
Old 04-26-2007, 02:37 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Prince Harry sits with his companion Chelsy Davy as they enjoy the soccer game during the Champions League semifinal first leg match between Liverpool and Chelsea at Stamford Bridge in London.

Pictures:
Prince Harry and Chelsy
Prince Harry and Chelsy 2
I think Chelsy has been tanning herself too much. Her face is getting a little leathery-looking in these photos.
Old 04-26-2007, 02:50 PM
Courtier

more pics.. form Harry running..

-
Old 04-26-2007, 04:16 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Fan
And is very restless And the Army gives him a chance to fit in and use his energy he could always change Regiments to take to another Service The Marines Perhaps (That would Heal the wound Left by the Earl of Wessex) JMHO
Unfortunately he couldn't just change like that, that would require him to undertake different training altogether as the Royal Marines are Navy.
Old 04-26-2007, 04:18 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
I'm sorry but what Clarence House source? As far as I know no official statement was made or is their source a maid or a butler?
Clearly they spelt it wrong, they meant sauce as in chocolate!
Old 04-26-2007, 04:53 PM
Nobility

Why did he attend Sandhurst if he is unable to serve on the front lines?
Old 04-26-2007, 06:46 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowarth
Why did he attend Sandhurst if he is unable to serve on the front lines?
I agree. He is an Officer in in the Army enough said.
Old 04-27-2007, 06:35 AM
Imperial Majesty

Prince Harry will be sent to Iraq despite misgivings over security

Prince Harry will be deployed with his regiment, the Blues and Royals of the Household Cavalry, on the frontline in south-eastern Iraq next month despite concerns among military commanders that he might attract fire from insurgents and rogue elements within Shia militias.

Prince Harry will be sent to Iraq despite misgivings over security | Special Reports | Guardian Unlimited Politics

Closed Thread

Tags
prince harry