The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 02:42 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRH Kimetha
Army commanders mull secret war role for Prince Harry
The D squadron story is now travelling the world papers!

Old 05-18-2007, 03:42 PM
Nobility

Besides Iraq, Afghanistan, or other places already mentioned above, where else does Britain have troops serving as peace keepers?

Old 05-18-2007, 04:53 PM
Courtier

He may serve in Sierra Leonoe..

With Iraq out of the picture Harry could serve in West Africa
Old 05-18-2007, 05:20 PM
Heir Presumptive

How about Northern Ireland, now that they've all stopped shooting at each other?
Old 05-18-2007, 05:26 PM
Heir Apparent

The whole press coverage has been a shambles.

He should have quietly been sent to Iraq, carried out his duty and come home when it was over.

The constant media speculation, whisperings and nonsensical stories have only made the matter worse and raised his profile even further.
Old 05-18-2007, 07:01 PM
Serene Highness

REVEALED: AL-QAEDA PLOT TO KILL HARRY

The Daily Record - NEWS - News Feed - REVEALED: AL-QAEDA PLOT TO KILL HARRY - REVEALED: AL-QAEDA PLOT TO KILL HARRY
Old 05-18-2007, 07:35 PM
Imperial Majesty

It's a pity the intelligence services have been so sidetracked by having to spend time on detecting threats to Prince Harry rather than the work they're supposed to be doing out there.
Old 05-18-2007, 07:39 PM
Nobility

Elspeth rightly pointed out earlier in this thread that civilian careers for the key members of the royal family (i.e. heir and spare and immediate family) don't exactly have a long history. In light of the "don't send Harry to Iraq" decision (or anywhere as an army officer...remains to be seen), perhaps it's time for the BRF to reevaluate the career options of its leading members.

Yes, Edward didn't make a great go of it, but there's got to be something Harry can do short of being posted permanently at Buckingham Palace.

Does anyone have any thoughts? Maybe it's time for a new thread, or is that calling for too much unwarranted speculation?
Old 05-18-2007, 07:46 PM
Imperial Majesty

Feel free to start a thread; it might be very interesting! It's probably best to keep it specific and in this forum, though; it seems as though it's only the most senior royals who have this problem, since Princess Margaret's and Princess Anne's children have managed to make careers for themselves in the private sector. I'm not sure whether Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie will have similar problems, but the Armed Forces aren't really an option for them, so the only careers in public service would involve becoming civil servants.
Old 05-18-2007, 08:43 PM

Can I just register my disbelief here at the total idiocy of the British media. The MoD were not sure about sending Harry, so the press had a field day on why he should and shouldn't go. The MoD then said they were sending him to Iraq and again, the press had a field day on why he should and shouldn't go. The MoD then said that because of threats to his safety, he wouldn't be going and so the press had a third day on that well-known grassy pasture on why he should and shouldn't go. We finally get through the balls up that was Harrygate and the MoD decide he might be better serving in Sierra Leone. So the press report it and thus tell terrorists where to find Harry in a few months time, thus producing threats to his safety and preventing him from serving anywhere. The papers say Harry should be one of the boys and go but then when they're going to send him anywhere they print every minute detail and put him in danger so that he can't go which they then report as the fault of the MoD. Pick your bloody potato, which is it? Leave the boy alone, let the MoD do their jobs and remember that careless talk does actually cost lives. It isn't something old girls in hairnets say at the bingo, it's a very real statement. If Harry did go to Iraq, the press had already said where he could possibly be serving and as a result they would have placed him in very real danger. I'm starting to think that state-owned media is the only way out of this media mess. Camilla breaks wind and she murdered Elvis, the Queen doesn't wear her gloves and she's got MRSA, the Duke of Edinburgh has a plaster on his ear and he's having an affair with Norman the Happy Fish. It's got to stop.
Old 05-18-2007, 09:26 PM
Imperial Majesty

You're registering disbelief at the idiocy of the British media? Really?

Who's Norman the Happy Fish? Enquiring minds would like to know...
Old 05-18-2007, 09:33 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sashajones
The decision to not allow Prince Harry to fight in Iraq is a good one. He would probably be a target as well as those under his command. I also think the ultimate decision came from the Queen. JMO.

I think his being a supreme target for the terrorists is the reason Harry can not go;the Queen could not pull her grandson out from duty.
Perhaps he and his regiment will be sent elsewhere as has been stated,into another conflict zone.There are so many people out there who are saying the most ignorant,unjust things about Harry because he was pulled out from Iraq.And it was not his decision!He wanted to go;he knows that his reputation is at stake!
Old 05-18-2007, 10:11 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
Can I just register my disbelief here at the total idiocy of the British media. The MoD were not sure about sending Harry, so the press had a field day on why he should and shouldn't go. The MoD then said they were sending him to Iraq and again, the press had a field day on why he should and shouldn't go. The MoD then said that because of threats to his safety, he wouldn't be going and so the press had a third day on that well-known grassy pasture on why he should and shouldn't go. We finally get through the balls up that was Harrygate and the MoD decide he might be better serving in Sierra Leone. So the press report it and thus tell terrorists where to find Harry in a few months time, thus producing threats to his safety and preventing him from serving anywhere. The papers say Harry should be one of the boys and go but then when they're going to send him anywhere they print every minute detail and put him in danger so that he can't go which they then report as the fault of the MoD. Pick your bloody potato, which is it? Leave the boy alone, let the MoD do their jobs and remember that careless talk does actually cost lives. It isn't something old girls in hairnets say at the bingo, it's a very real statement. If Harry did go to Iraq, the press had already said where he could possibly be serving and as a result they would have placed him in very real danger. I'm starting to think that state-owned media is the only way out of this media mess. Camilla breaks wind and she murdered Elvis, the Queen doesn't wear her gloves and she's got MRSA, the Duke of Edinburgh has a plaster on his ear and he's having an affair with Norman the Happy Fish. It's got to stop.

When you write a book, and you better.....I want the first copy. Autographed, if you please.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 05-18-2007, 10:11 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sashajones
The decision to not allow Prince Harry to fight in Iraq is a good one. He would probably be a target as well as those under his command. I also think the ultimate decision came from the Queen. JMO.

First of all I do respect your right to have a different opinion to me. I want to make that point very clear right at the beginning.

I however disagree most heartily with your statement about the Queen making the decision to pull Harry from the deployment.

My reason is based on her own sense of duty - including the duty to sign the commissions of new officers - many of whom she knows will be sent to Iraq. She also regularly sends condolences to the families of those who have died in Iraq. She also attends, annually, the Remembrance Day services honouring the men and women, including those currently serving, who have served their country (and paid the ultimate sacrifice for that country).

She would not, in all conscience, be able to fulfil these duties if she was involved in a decision to pull her own grandson from the possibility to be one of these sacrifices. She simply would be seen as a hypocrite - on the one hand saying that she respects the sacrifices made by these families and yet on the other hand she is saying that her family is not prepared to make these same sacrifices anymore.

As the Queen would never be seen as a hypocrite she simply wouldn't make a decision like that - accept it and agree with it yes but be the one making it - no.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:05 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by misselle
There are so many people out there who are saying the most ignorant,unjust things about Harry because he was pulled out from Iraq.And it was not his decision!He wanted to go;he knows that his reputation is at stake!
I personally hope that the media keeps getting so many messages fed to them by MoD that nobody will ever know whether there is any truth or lie to any of it. What MoD needs to do is just rattle off possibilities a couple times a week to keep everyone guessing. I think a good thing they did do was to put out into the press not to expect to see Harry at any nightclubs. This way no one can "really" miss him because he's just "not allowed" there. Hopefully, he gets to fulfill his mission, whatever that might get to be.
Old 05-19-2007, 02:08 AM
Nobility

i agree if think if thing were kept quite he could have gone, but it is too risky for everyone now as it is
Old 05-19-2007, 05:07 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by misselle
Perhaps he and his regiment will be sent elsewhere as has been stated,into another conflict zone.
Just because Harry has been held back, doesn't mean A squadron were.
Old 05-19-2007, 05:10 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowarth
Besides Iraq, Afghanistan, or other places already mentioned above, where else does Britain have troops serving as peace keepers?
The UK has forces deployed in around 80 countries at the moment. Some for training of our own men and women.
Old 05-19-2007, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Who's Norman the Happy Fish? Enquiring minds would like to know...
Norman the Happy Fish, born Algernon Norman De Courcey Fish on the 9th April 1919. Co-star of Charlie Chaplin and inventor of the Bagel slicer, he married Deborah Kerr in the late thirties before being made King of Poland. After abdicating in the 60s, he went on to win an Oscar for his performance in the 1982 film, "I may be just a fish but you should see what I can do with a bottle". I can't believe you haven't heard of him.

Quote:
When you write a book, and you better.....I want the first copy. Autographed, if you please.
You're too kind.
Old 05-19-2007, 08:19 AM
Royal Highness

Location: Up the street,hang a left,3rd house from the corner, United States
But why would the media keep their big mouth shut when they're objective is to sell, sell, sell? We won't bite if it's not news worthy. Yes, this story (err, intelligence) had no business being leaked. This isn't I have a Top Secret Clearance and the scoop was so juicy I told my spouse in confident. This was the media! Making up stories (err, intelligence) to keep them guessing is even worse.

Tags
prince harry