Prince Harry Current Events 16: January-March 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally think it's a mistake for him to be deployed. I'm sure all the Republicans are probably having a field day with this situation saying "well he should do like the rest of us". But the fact is he's not like everyone else. You know he's going to be a bigger target. He's 3rd in line to the throne and it sounds like all the extra precautions they would have to take makes it more of a hassle than it's worth. This isn't a normal war. They're dealing with terrorists!

Skydragon said:
:lol: Right, a newspaper reports that an SAS source told them....

It would be even funnier if people weren't so taken in by these rags. Where are they going to be when he is out on patrol in one of the Scimitar vehicles. I know the SAS receive extensive training in all manner of things, but what are they going to do, pretend to blend in with the vehicle, run alongside, sit in the vehicle (which only holds 3), Are they going to displace one of the other scimitar crews, which would leave everyone else at risk.

I don't know why everyone's having so much trouble with this concept! It's crystal clear to me that they will run alongside the vehicle constantly speaking into walkie-talkies, ready to leap aboard if needs be. :ROFLMAO:

Sereta said:
.....and it sounds like all the extra precautions they would have to take makes it more of a hassle than i'ts worth.
You'e obviously been reading the same newspapers that have reported that the Duchess of Cornwell is really going into hospital to have hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of plasitic surgery. :ROFLMAO:
Sereta said:
This isn't a normal war. They're dealing with terrorists!
The United Kingdom has been dealing with "terrorists" for decades, and their casualties number those closest to the BRF, Lord Mountbatten to name but one.

That being the case, it gives the UK more insight into domestic and international terrorism. It is part of what the British Defence Forces are fighting against now, and they are better equipped than most to deal with it.

What part of 'Prince Harry + Army + Sandhurst + Blues and Royals = Iraq/Afghanistan' don't you get? :rolleyes:

He fought to get them to let him go to Iraq.

No Way Jose!

ok
hes a PRINCE!
he did work hard at Sandhurst... but with that said you must remember his position within the monarchy!
God forbid anything happens in Iraq, or even in England! we need all the royals in a safe environment!
sorry harry old chap..
but i think you should stay put!:neutral:

I think Harry should go to Iraq. He has worked hard to get there. I have a lot of respect that he doesn't want to be molly-coddled and has taken a stand that he stands with his men and his country, whether parts of the country supports the war or not. He is to be commendable. He found his royal status to go. His uncle Andrew went and he at the time of the war when he was second in line to the throne, albiet not for long as William made his appearance not long after. Yet, he was there.

The question is why isn't Prince William being allowed. He is also second to the throne behind his father and should also go to war. It's not like there is any shortage of Windsor's. I say that Prince William should also be sent. However, he found a way out by arranging his armed service duties the way he did. :neutral:

Sereta said:
I personally think it's a mistake for him to be deployed. I'm sure all the Republicans are probably having a field day with this situation saying "well he should do like the rest of us". But the fact is he's not like everyone else. You know he's going to be a bigger target. He's 3rd in line to the throne and it sounds like all the extra precautions they would have to take makes it more of a hassle than it's worth. This isn't a normal war. They're dealing with terrorists!

Every war has had their share of terrorists. Its been a pretty standard tool of warfare to plant bombs, use spies, sabotage enemy operations, do whatever it takes to dishearten and demoralize the enemy. The tagline that this isn't a normal war has been used by every government to excuse their own rather questionable tactics when in reality, the only thing new is the technology being used.

HRH Kimetha, I would hope that I misunderstood your comment at the end of your last post. There is no way that William "found a way" to get out of serving in Iraq "by arranging his armed service duties the way he did." They weren't going to let him go. He may be after Charles just like Andrew was in 1982 but that was when the queen was young and Charles was having children. I could just as easily say that Harry is being allowed to go because he complained that he'd quit unless the game was played like he wanted it played. However, I don't believe that is the case anymore than William "arranging" it so he didn't get to go. I think William is in a bad place. It can't be fun to have a job where you don't actually get to do anything more than move from location to location getting a feel for what it would be like if you actually worked there. And on top of it, having the people around you know that is your situation.

As I recall around the time William was going to be graduating from Sandhurst his soon to be commander said that William would possibly be deployed. I also happened know that there is shortage of trained personal in Armoured Resse. The press could be covering a possible deployment of William to somewhere maybe Afganistan in October or somewhere else Kosovo or Germany before in first year of service is over. Probably not for a full deployment maybe three months of it.

Last edited:
HRH Kimetha said:
The question is why isn't Prince William being allowed. He is also second to the throne behind his father and should also go to war. It's not like there is any shortage of Windsor's. I say that Prince William should also be sent. However, he found a way out by arranging his armed service duties the way he did. :neutral:

He didn't arrange anything to the best of my knowledge, and I think I've been reading the news on this forum pretty faithfully. He's the heir to the throne. He can't see active combat like Harry more than likely will. Charles wasn't airlifted into some hotbed of fighting and sectarian aggression, was he? I'm sure William would like to serve on the front lines like his brother, but his position in life procludes him from that. God forbid he were to get killed, and Harry is out there and HE gets killed.....who's the new heir/ess? Princess Beatrice, I believe. I don't know how her parents would react to that.

Ive thought of that too Queen Beatrice wow How would the spread out the Royal Burials Say The Queen Philip,Chareles, Andrew Edward ,Anne and (May The Lord Protect her) Louise or what if were faced with a situation where she comes to the Throne could the Monarchy handle a 3 Year old Monarch!

Royal Fan said:
Ive thought of that too Queen Beatrice wow How would the spread out the Royal Burials Say The Queen Philip,Chareles, Andrew Edward ,Anne and (May The Lord Protect her) Louise or what if were faced with a situation where she comes to the Throne could the Monarchy handle a 3 Year old Monarch!

If there ever were a three year old monarch, the next person in the line of succession to the throne would act as regent until the monarch became of age. There is also a provision that if an underage succession to the crown occurs when the Queen dies (highly unlikely, unless Charles, William, Harry, Andrew, and Beatrice were to suddenly predecease the Queen), that the Duke of Edinburgh acts as regent for the new monarch.

Sister Morphine said:
He didn't arrange anything to the best of my knowledge, and I think I've been reading the news on this forum pretty faithfully. He's the heir to the throne.

Actually, William has approved of his armed service contract. He won't be doing his entire duty with the army, but spread himself around with the other services to get the 'feel'. So, I feel he shouldn't have spoken a lot about bravery and being with his men knowing that there were talks on how his military career was going to be laid out, unlike his past heir apparents who were in battles. This, however, is Harry's thread and William's lack of service to his country in Iraq or any other war torn country that Britain is involved in should be in William's thread.

Princess Beatrice, I believe. I don't know how her parents would react to that.

Let us not forget about Andrew as he also was the spare to heir. He could also serve as a monarch. Then again, where does Sarah fit into this and Andrew on the throne without a Queen would prove to be interesting. In regards to Beatrice, she tends to likes her lot in life and appreciates who and what she is according to several interviews she was involved in. Even though Elizabeth was much younger when her father came to power, nobody would have thought about having her as a Queen one day as Edward VIII was suppose to sit on the throne. :)

wbenson said:
If there ever were a three year old monarch, the next person in the line of succession to the throne would act as regent until the monarch became of age. There is also a provision that if an underage succession to the crown occurs when the Queen dies (highly unlikely, unless Charles, William, Harry, Andrew, and Beatrice were to suddenly predecease the Queen), that the Duke of Edinburgh acts as regent for the new monarch.

Don't know, but she would probably lose her head in the towers like her ancestors the two princes.:) Of course, I don't know of any 'dark' princes in the Windsor family, unless....of course, Prince Michael and his family!!! Yes, has there ever been a King Frederick of Great Britain (not meaning to sound as though his family is 'dark')?:)

kpusa1981 said:
As I recall around the time William was going to be graduating from Sandhurst his soon to be commander said that William would possibly be deployed. I also happened know that there is shortage of trained personal in Armoured Resse. The press could be covering a possible deployment of William to somewhere maybe Afganistan in October or somewhere else Kosovo or Germany before in first year of service is over. Probably not for a full deployment maybe three months of it.

He definitely needs to go and see some action before changing out to the other part of his military plan.

kjrn said:
...There is no way that William "found a way" to get out of serving in Iraq "by arranging his armed service duties the way he did."

I hope we all don't find out that perhaps he did knowing that he would avoid the 'danger zone'. He sounded sincere during an interview about serving. Yet, his military service path has seen him being 'familiarizing' with other military units. That is needed. His uncles didn't do it to be monarchs, nor did his father.:)

Ysbel said:
Every war has had their share of terrorists. Its been a pretty standard tool of warfare to plant bombs, use spies, sabotage enemy operations, do whatever it takes to dishearten and demoralize the enemy. The tagline that this isn't a normal war has been used by every government to excuse their own rather questionable tactics when in reality, the only thing new is the technology being used.

So true, even when the first warring party attacked with catapults, that was considered new technology.[/quote]

Skydragon said:
How about an extra scimitar, with 2 SAS men and a bodyguard driving it, oh and a great big flag with an arrow, saying 'Harry is here'. :rolleyes: :ROFLMAO:

How funny!! Can you see Harry now smiling and painting that arrow directed at that extra scimitar saying 'Harry is here'?:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
HRH Kimetha said:
How funny!! Can you see Harry now smiling and painting that arrow directed at that extra scimitar saying 'Harry is here'?:ROFLMAO:
You're not wrong! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

kpusa1981 said:
Actually, Prince William's father Charles did service with RAF, Army although he had joined the Royal Navy and mainly served during his 5 years in the Navy.
The Prince of Wales - Military Career

Actually it sounds like how William started before heading off to Sandhurst instead of the Naval Academy. William had lacked the private flying license, so instead didn't he do something like mountain rescue with the air force or something like that?:)

William not being deployed to Iraq does not mean he is not brave or that he is a coward, or anything else like that. He's the heir to the throne....I cannot see the RF allowing him to be deployed to the front lines. He will one day be the head of the Royal Armed Forces, so like his father, he will be doing time with the various branches. Harry wants to be a career soldier, so going to Iraq for him is par for the course.

I get the feeling there is some negativity being tossed toward William because he's not going to be seeing the same action his brother is.

Sister Morphine said:
I get the feeling there is some negativity being tossed toward William because he's not going to be seeing the same action his brother is.

Nah, not all Sister Morphine. I just like to ponder and throw out questions like everyone else does. Some are serious (such as this issue) to hear responses and others point of views, while others being jestful because I like to see the smilies in other posts and like to share my sense of humour, like Skydragon. :)

Last edited:
Sister Morphine said:
Will the sanctimonious be sending white feathers to Clarence House? :ermm:

Warren said:

Does the white feather symbolize something?

Last edited:
Sister Morphine said:
Does the white feather symbolize something?

During World War 1 young men who were conscientious objectors were given white feathers and called cowards. To be given a white feather is to call someone a coward.

Charlotte1 said:
During World War 1 young men who were conscientious objectors were given white feathers and called cowards. To be given a white feather is to call someone a coward.

Thank you. :) Now that I know this, I can answer Warren's question.

Warren said:

I should hope not.

Last edited:
Warren said:
And will they be sending them from Iraq, Afghanistan or any of the other areas UK troops are fighting?

May June July two weeks rec leave August September October
Depending on when the deployment actually begins wouldn't the concert fall during the rec leave?
I had thought the concert was to correlate to Diana's brithday and be be on July 1.

Last edited:
kpusa1981 said:
May June July two weeks rec leave August September October
Depending on when the deployment actually begins wouldn't the concert fall during the rec leave?
I had thought the concert was to correlate to Diana's brithday and be be on July 1.
When anyone is deployed to Iraq/Afghanistan or any frontline duty on a 6 month tour, they are entitled to 2 weeks R+R, which they apply for before they go. They apply for which 2 weeks they want and if they are lucky, they get it. If there are operational reasons that are unforeseen when the dates were agreed, it can and is cancelled.

The dates he has applied for are to enable him to be at the concert. I hope the media will shown a little sense and not publish the dates and time he will be in transit.

Even in WWII where there was great need for fighting men, the armed forces in the United States refrained from putting all the sons in a family on the front lines. And these were not royal men! The reasoning behind it was that in the agricultural environment under which most families lived, a family would undergo undue hardship if all if its sons were killed in battle. I understand that the German forces followed the same unwritten rule until later in the war when they were losing and when they went to draft the lone remaining son, they caused an outcry among the people.

Of course there were exceptions and their stories proved the point of why the armed forces didn't want to take all a family's sons. The Fighting Sullivans were seven brothers of first generation Irish immigrants who not only were all allowed to serve on the front line, they were also all allowed to serve on the same warship. Several Naval officers objected strenously and the brothers wrote to President Roosevelt to get the decision overturned because they wanted to serve together. The President agreed and made an exception to allow them to serve on the same warship. All the brothers were killed when a torpedo hit their warboat.

ysbel said:
Even in WWII where there was great need for fighting men, the armed forces in the United States refrained from putting all the sons in a family on the front lines. And these were not royal men! The reasoning behind it was that in the agricultural environment under which most families lived, a family would undergo undue hardship if all if its sons were killed in battle. I understand that the German forces followed the same unwritten rule until later in the war when they were losing and when they went to draft the lone remaining son, they caused an outcry among the people.

Of course there were exceptions and their stories proved the point of why the armed forces didn't want to take all a family's sons. The Fighting Sullivans were seven brothers of first generation Irish immigrants who not only were all allowed to serve on the front line, they were also all allowed to serve on the same warship. Several Naval officers objected strenously and the brothers wrote to President Roosevelt to get the decision overturned because they wanted to serve together. The President agreed and made an exception to allow them to serve on the same warship. All the brothers were killed when a torpedo hit their warboat.
The real policy.
U.S. Navy Policy on Family Members Serving Together, Sole Survivor Policy
"Reference to a "Sullivan Act" in connection with family members serving in the same ship/unit is a popular misconception. The Sullivan Law of 29 May 1911 is a New York State Law dealing with firearms. Although proposed after the death of the five Sullivan Brothers, no "Sullivan Act" was ever enacted by Congress related to family members serving together. Similarly, no President has ever issued any executive order forbidding assignment of family members to the same ship/unit.
Following are nine references that describe the U.S. Navy policy toward the assignment of family members to ships since 1942, and one other article that helps explain this policy."

They are in the same regiment but different squads and William is not even done with his training. Since Harry is going to be deployed in May and come back in October. William will be done training in September so could possibly be deployed to Afghanistan.

kpusa1981 said:
The real policy.
U.S. Navy Policy on Family Members Serving Together, Sole Survivor Policy
"Reference to a "Sullivan Act" in connection with family members serving in the same ship/unit is a popular misconception. The Sullivan Law of 29 May 1911 is a New York State Law dealing with firearms. Although proposed after the death of the five Sullivan Brothers, no "Sullivan Act" was ever enacted by Congress related to family members serving together. Similarly, no President has ever issued any executive order forbidding assignment of family members to the same ship/unit.
Following are nine references that describe the U.S. Navy policy toward the assignment of family members to ships since 1942, and one other article that helps explain this policy."

They are in the same regiment but different squads and William is not even done with his training. Since Harry is going to be deployed in May and come back in October. William will be done training in September so could possibly be deployed to Afghanistan.

I never really knew about the Sullivan Act in its entirety. Thanks kpusa1 for explaining it. But, it did give me another perspective of sending William to the battle zone, if Harry was already there. Then again, as you pointed out, Harry would be out of the zone by the time William can go. So, William can also go to the battle zone whether he is the 2nd in line. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom