The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 08:03 AM
Imperial Majesty

Now it's official

Prince Harry Off To Fight In Iraq

Prince Harry's will be deployed to the danger zones of southern Iraq for a tour of duty, it has been confirmed.

Prince Harry Off To Fight In Iraq - Yahoo! News UK

An official statement has also been released from Clarence House and the MOD.

A joint statement from the Ministry of Defence and Clarence House about the operational deployment of Cornet Wales

We can confirm today that Prince Harry will deploy to Iraq later this year in command of a troop from ‘A Squadron’ of the Household Cavalry Regiment

Old 02-22-2007, 09:49 AM
Courtier

M.O.D. says Prince Harry will join his regiment in Iraq

Old 02-22-2007, 10:27 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

You know, it was a high probabality all along that Harry would be deployed to Iraq. Given that situation, I find it incredibly irresponsible for those unnamed sources in the MoD who leaked out their 'concerns' to the press early about Harry going to Iraq.

By doing so, they raised the alarum and helped create a more dangerous situation for Harry and his men.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 02-22-2007, 10:47 AM
Imperial Majesty

As I said in an earlier post, all soldiers concerned have known for a couple of weeks that they were being deployed, Harry and his family would probably have been told sooner. The 'unnamed sources' were probably soldiers from the same regiment or family/family friends that they had told!

I really think it is time that the soldiers, their units and their families were all told at the same time. That way if there is a leak beforehand, it would be easier to trace back to the 'big mouth singer' involved!

Harry Iraq deployment no surprise

The deployment of Prince Harry's regiment to Iraq has been confirmed by the Ministry of Defence. The prince has always said he wants to be taken seriously as a soldier.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
As for the supposed bodyguards, as one officer has said, if the British army is unable to 'take care' of him in Iraq, what hope have ordinary police officers got.
Old 02-22-2007, 11:37 AM
Heir Apparent

Though the news was expected, I was still slightly shocked when I heard the official confirmation and read the statement from the Clarence House.
Best luck to Cornet Wales and all the soldiers that will be deployed to Iraq. May all of them return unscratched and unharmed.

I hope the Media will be able to abide the following request of the Clarence House and MoD.
Quote:
Speculation about precisely where Cornet Wales will serve, or the exact details of his role, is potentially dangerous. The Ministry of Defence and Clarence House are writing to ask all media organisations to respect this matter of operational security in order that Cornet Wales can undertake a normal tour of duty, which is his express wish and that of the Army.
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 02-22-2007, 01:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

well, finally is official, good luck harry! take care!
Today the world has embraced new royal Princesses in the form of Mary of Denmark and Maxima of the Netherlands. But it's questionable whether even these hugely popular, increasingly glamorous future Queens will ever capture the world's imagination in the same way as Diana.
As Mario acknowledges: "She really was a true Princess".
-www.theroyalist.net-
Old 02-22-2007, 02:21 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon
Though the news was expected, I was still slightly shocked when I heard the official confirmation and read the statement from the Clarence House.
Best luck to Cornet Wales and all the soldiers that will be deployed to Iraq. May all of them return unscratched and unharmed.

I hope the Media will be able to abide the following request of the Clarence House and MoD.
Given the cavalier attitude towards operational security of both the GB and US press so far (the New York Times in particular), I'm extremely worried.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:30 PM
Courtier

Pray for his safety and bring home safety

Iraq tank command for Prince Harry - CNN.com
Old 02-22-2007, 03:51 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
As I said in an earlier post, all soldiers concerned have known for a couple of weeks that they were being deployed, Harry and his family would probably have been told sooner. The 'unnamed sources' were probably soldiers from the same regiment or family/family friends that they had told!

I really think it is time that the soldiers, their units and their families were all told at the same time. That way if there is a leak beforehand, it would be easier to trace back to the 'big mouth singer' involved!

Harry Iraq deployment no surprise

The deployment of Prince Harry's regiment to Iraq has been confirmed by the Ministry of Defence. The prince has always said he wants to be taken seriously as a soldier.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
As for the supposed bodyguards, as one officer has said, if the British army is unable to 'take care' of him in Iraq, what hope have ordinary police officers got.
You're right skydragon, although that was not the leak I referred to. I was referring to the leak when we first heard that Harry might be deployed to Iraq (I don't think he was out of Sandhurst yet) and already leaks were coming from the MoD expressing 'concern' about the terrorism threat that sending Harry to Iraq would pose. I think it started the circus.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 02-22-2007, 04:03 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
I was referring to the leak when we first heard that Harry might be deployed to Iraq (I don't think he was out of Sandhurst yet) and already leaks were coming from the MoD expressing 'concern' about the terrorism threat that sending Harry to Iraq would pose. I think it started the circus.
It did start the circus, but I am not convinced that those leaks had an ounce of truth to them. If they did, the conversation probably went with a reporter asking someone in the MOD, low level at that, possibly an LO2, what he thought about Harry being deployed if he passed out from Sandhurst. The civil servant, in order to get his dinner paid for, could have answered along the lines of... Ummm, it would certainly be a worry for the top brass. From that, reporters being what they are, get their headline story about the MOD expressing concern.
Old 02-22-2007, 04:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

God, its finally official so he is going to Iraq. I hope he takes care of himself while he is there.
Old 02-22-2007, 04:57 PM
Royal Highness

I just read the official statement. I have expected that Harry will go to Iraq, but until now i had the hope that it will not happen.
I know that all famlies of soldiers who have military duties in Iraq or other regions, like Afghanistan, have the same fears for their loveones, like the Wales family will have. And i´m thinking of all of them.
But also i feel something special for Harry and his family, and so my prayers and wishes will go with him and his family.
Good luck for Harry, and a safe return!
Old 02-22-2007, 07:23 PM

BBC NEWS | England | Kent | Eubank arrested at Whitehall demo

Eubank protested about Harry's deployment and got locked up. Excuse me whilst I whistle "Land of Hope and Glory".
Old 02-22-2007, 09:44 PM
Majesty

Quote:
.......As for the supposed bodyguards, as one officer has said, if the British army is unable to 'take care' of him in Iraq, what hope have ordinary police officers got.
Well that takes care of the Protection Officer theory. What no civil servants, Crystal, polo ponies and fireworks....? Just kidding.
I think his family must feel so proud that he is considered a fit leader and just as worried as the rest of the families whose loved ones are in harm's way.
I wish Harry and his unit good luck and God speed.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:03 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiyo
Given the cavalier attitude towards operational security of both the GB and US press so far (the New York Times in particular), I'm extremely worried.
And don't forget HuffPost and Wonkette. They both narrowed down where British/English soldiers are likely to be stationed given the withdrawal of some of their troops soon.

Wonkette btw is hilarious, but a bit inside baseball if you don't follow US politics and especially D.C. life. LMAO
Old 02-23-2007, 06:22 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG
I think his family must feel so proud that he is considered a fit leader
I'm sure they do, but you must remember that it is not the officers who run the unit, it is the NCO's, as most honest officers will tell you!
Old 02-23-2007, 07:32 AM
Majesty

Quote:
I'm sure they do, but you must remember that it is not the officers who run the unit, it is the NCO's, as most honest officers will tell you!
Forgive me. I momentarily lost my grip. Now then, correct me if I'm wrong.....

A General leaps tall buildings in a single bound, is faster than a speeding bullet and gives policy guidance to God.

A WOII/RSM picks up tall buildings and walks under them, catches speeding bullets with his teeth and chews their asses.....is God!
Old 02-23-2007, 02:27 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG
Forgive me. I momentarily lost my grip. Now then, correct me if I'm wrong.....

A General leaps tall buildings in a single bound, is faster than a speeding bullet and gives policy guidance to God.

A WOII/RSM picks up tall buildings and walks under them, catches speeding bullets with his teeth and chews their asses.....is God!
You are definitely slipping, you forgot to say all that is before breakfast!
Old 02-23-2007, 10:28 PM
Majesty

Quote:
You are definitely slipping, you forgot to say all that is before breakfast!
One again you are correct. Pax.
Old 02-23-2007, 10:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Prince Harry in the hell zone
The Sun Online - News: Prince Harry in the hell zone

Prince Harry to serve in Iraq
Prince Harry to serve in Iraq | Herald Sun

Prince Harry called to action
Prince Harry called to action | The World | The Australian

Closed Thread

Tags
prince harry