The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 05:05 PM
Nobility

That is a bad characterization of soldiers.

Old 04-30-2007, 05:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

To become an Officer and and now hes off Too Iraq Ill to The Lord Each Morning and night that he and his men return safe at home. o and the Head sliced off comment thats very rude uncalled for and imo un-Patriotic
God Save Prince Henry of Wales and those who serve!
God Save The House of Windsor
God Save The Queen!!!!!!!!

Old 04-30-2007, 05:12 PM
Nobility

I agree 1000% with you.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:18 PM
Majesty

Everyone here seems to assume the worst (and it is a horrible worst I agree).

but...

What if he makes it through the six month deployment with none of the insurgents getting near him and his troops - in other words the insurgents fail in their intention of getting him?

That would be a coup for the elected government in Iraq in showing that the insurgents aren't in control.

I agree that that is a gamble but it is another way of looking at the situation.

Either way this will be a propaganda coup for one side or the other.

Edward VIII did go to France and he served on the Western Front - he wasn't allowed to serve in the trenches. The Western Front did consist of more than just the front line trenches. The Staff Officers, those who did a lot of the planning (and yes there was planning) were behind the front lines and came under shelling and some were killed in these places. It was in these places (castles, chateau etc) that Edward VIII served throughout much of the war. By the way - do most of you realise the reason why most British generals didn't go to the front line trenches - they were ordered not to after 20 or so of them were killed in the first few months of the war. It wasn't that they didn't want to - they would have faced charges for disobeying direct orders if they did go.

In World War II George VI wanted to go to Normandy with the landing forces and was stopped by Churchill who said that he would go instead and the king said 'If I can't go nor can you' (effectively). Both men had seen active duty in earlier wars of course.

I am undecided about whether Harry should go because I can see the arguments both ways (and I am a Libran!!).

I do pray that all the troops serving overseas will return safely but I don't pray for any particular troops unless I know them personally (and I do currently have the sons/grandsons of three friends serving in Iraq). The comments of these people, by the way, is if their family members are in the firing line than the grandson of their Head of State should be there as well, regardless of the extra risks.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:30 PM
Courtier

I've changed my view and now do not believe that Harry should go to Iraq if there's the slightest chance that he will put his troops in even more danger. What he wants is really an irrelevancy. I suspect, too, that the 'romance' of being in the army has ensnared him (supposedly for all of his young life) and that he'll get a very rude shock when he experiences the reality of war and particularly this war where civilians are bearing the brunt of the suffering, i.e. when Prince Andrew and Prince Philip went to war, it was against the army and the navy respectively, and civilians weren't part of the carnage.

As for 'why' he joined the army - well, many royal princes enlist in one arm or another of the Services; it's almost a right of passage. His other choice of career was to be a professional polo player, at which he apparently excels, but he wasn't permitted to make that choice because of polo's playboy image.

I wish Harry well and hope that he survives but no more than I wish it for his comrades in arm.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

He and the men will be fine:) There well trained Lads!
Old 04-30-2007, 05:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Fan
He and the men will be fine:) There well trained Lads!
All soldiers, who had died in Iraq (or elsewhere) were trained as well.

Personally I'm more inclined to the opinon he shouldn't go, but if that's Harry's decision and if the Army chief think it's the right think to do, then Good Luck to him and his soldiers. I hope they will all return unhurt physically or emotionally.
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 04-30-2007, 06:02 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
o and the Head sliced off comment thats very rude uncalled for and imo un-Patriotic
IMO it was a realistic statement of the risk Harry faces.

Quote:
God Save Prince Henry of Wales and those who serve!
God Save The House of Windsor
God Save The Queen!!!!!!!!
The insurgents will be saying similar prayers about their own cause, and to the same God. Might be best to leave Him out of it this time.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:21 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowarth
Why did he attend Sandhurst?
Everyone thought the Iraq war would be virtually over before a decision had to be made.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:23 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissy57
.... (and I do currently have the sons/grandsons of three friends serving in Iraq). The comments of these people, by the way, is if their family members are in the firing line than the grandson of their Head of State should be there as well, regardless of the extra risks.
Perhaps that is because their family members will not be on the same base or in the same patrols.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:32 PM
Nobility

What about the moral boost to the troops over there when Harry is deployed?
Old 04-30-2007, 06:37 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowarth
What about the moral boost to the troops over there when Harry is deployed?
Their will be very little in the way of morale boosting. Even when they have dignitaries visit them, all anyone thinks of is security for the visitor and for themselves. Whilst Harry may be seen as 'special' on here (and to the media), to most of the officers, his presence is seen as an even bigger headache and ordinary troops really couldn't care less, except for the added danger he will bring to them, IMO.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:42 PM
Courtier

Quote:
To become an Officer and and now hes off Too Iraq Ill to The Lord Each Morning and night that he and his men return safe at home. o and the Head sliced off comment thats very rude uncalled for and imo un-Patriotic
Un-Patriotic? What an extremely weird thing to say.

Besides, I believe no one in here wants anything to happen to him. But sadly, that is a possibility if he goes, especially if he doesn't get extra-protection (if he wants to be like "any other soldier").
Old 04-30-2007, 07:19 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
May He ineed go as a Tank Commander and may God Protect him and all who serve and may the media Stop all this....Bloody Nonsense What a Racket there all making Philip Served Andrew Served George VI Served Let Henry now for better or worse Fight for Queen and Country
If I recall correctly, all of the prior royal princes served in he Navy not in the ground forces. Perhaps it's just my perception, but there seems to be a higher risk of fatalities in the Army. No IEDs or insurgents on the ocean!
Old 04-30-2007, 07:23 PM
Imperial Majesty

Time for a new thread, which can be found here:

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...6-a-12562.html

I trust the posts to the new thread will be considerably less inflammatory than the recent posts to this one.

Tags
prince harry