The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 03:09 AM
Heir Apparent

I think there's a huge difference between a civilian wearing a Fire Department or Police T-shirt as a mark of honour for those groups, and a shiny new army officer wearing the T-shirt of a highly trained elite unit. Once you're part of the system you are subject to different standards of behaviour than the ordinary public, and you don't wear something that you have not earned the right to wear. It would be like a brand new baby barrister wearing a silk gown. It's just wrong! IMO, anyway.

Old 10-16-2006, 03:12 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oppie
That second article is interesting, the stuff about a post-graduate degree. No one else in the Royal Family has one. I think Chelsy is a lot smarter then people give her credit for.
That's what I thought too. Then I read the second article. She doesn't come off as the brightest girl in the world in that article.
Also, it's kind of interesting how we managed to hear about pretty much every single detail of Chelsy's birthday.

Old 10-16-2006, 03:28 AM
Nobility

Post Prince Harry current events 11: August 2006-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn
I think there's a huge difference between a civilian wearing a Fire Department or Police T-shirt as a mark of honour for those groups, and a shiny new army officer wearing the T-shirt of a highly trained elite unit. Once you're part of the system you are subject to different standards of behaviour than the ordinary public, and you don't wear something that you have not earned the right to wear. It would be like a brand new baby barrister wearing a silk gown. It's just wrong! IMO, anyway.
If he/you can buy this surplus T-shirt you should be able to wear it and he was not even wearing a unifrom. P-Coy and Para I believe are in his future I bet you. It was weekend and it was off time and as long as he was dishonouring the Army whats worng? If He can get in trouble for wearing it then by all means the Army Officers above him should give him a dressing down for wearing it and the media should get wind of it as well to make Cornet Wales look bad. He is an officer as such he should obey the rules about these things.
This is US Army T-shirts that cam be brought by those in the Army or by civilians.
http://military.usptgear.com/Page.asp?QID={2559AD5C-3426-4427-AACA-37511910D746}&nWebPage=Category&Prod=T-Shirts&Branch=Army
Old 10-16-2006, 07:09 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
I agree, it is not the behavior one would expect from a very junior officer and although civilians can buy and wear these t-shirts, it is certainly frowned upon by the military.

If he is expecting to do his parachute training (which is not as intense as training to be a para), then lets hope they are a forgiving group of instructors!
Old 10-16-2006, 12:07 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
I agree, it is not the behavior one would expect from a very junior officer and although civilians can buy and wear these t-shirts, it is certainly frowned upon by the military.

If he is expecting to do his parachute training (which is not as intense as training to be a para), then lets hope they are a forgiving group of instructors!
IT is a T-shirt not a unifrom.
If he/you can buy this surplus T-shirt you should be able to wear it and he was not even wearing a unifrom. P-Coy and Para I believe are in his future I bet you. It was weekend and it was off time and as long as he was dishonouring the Army whats worng? If He can get in trouble for wearing it then by all means the Army Officers above him should give him a dressing down for wearing it and the media should get wind of it as well to make Cornet Wales look bad. He is an officer as such he should obey the rules about these things.
This is US Army T-shirts that cam be brought by those in the Army or by civilians.
http://military.usptgear.com/Page.asp?QID={2559AD5C-3426-4427-AACA-37511910D746}&nWebPage=Category&Prod=T-Shirts&Branch=Army
Old 10-16-2006, 12:20 PM
Heir Apparent

HARRY JETS IN TO CAPE TOWN FOR CHELSY'S BIRTHDAY PARTY

Their two-year relationship has had to be conducted long-distance, but nothing was going to stop Prince Harry from being by Chelsy Davy's side as she celebrated her 21st birthday. The devoted royal flew 6,000 miles to Cape Town on Friday to join his Zimbabwean girlfriend and her family and friends at the lavish party.
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 10-16-2006, 12:44 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpusa1981
IT is a T-shirt not a unifrom.
If he/you can buy this surplus T-shirt you should be able to wear it and he was not even wearing a unifrom.
He was able to buy and wear a t-shirt that would not cause controversy within the army. He chose one that implies that he is a member of the 1st parachute regiment and I hope he does get a dressing down.

Just because anyone can buy these t-shirts, does not mean that they should, IMO!
Old 10-16-2006, 01:26 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

I'm afraid I as well think that it's not right to wear something which implies you have earned honours which you haven't. Especially when it comes to militarian honours. Ok, if prince Harry was in some way "royally attached" to this regiment, I don't think they would mind him wearing this t-shirt, but as it is he is (apart from his birth) just another very junior officer without the necessary merits.

My mother's from an old Prussian officer's family, my uncle was one of the German "nightfighters" who got the Iron Knight's Cross with oak leaves for his service - okay, he fought the allies, but still... - so when I think of the way my mother's family has thought about what being an officer means, for them the wearing of the t-shirt would be bad style, unbelievable bad style when it comes to a Royal prince who wants to have an army career. Like wearing the emblems of the order of the garter without having been made a member by HM - only because "Gran" or later "Dad" could make him one.

Just my opinion based on my family's view of these things, of course. Maybe they have a different point of view in the BRF...
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 10-16-2006, 03:57 PM
Nobility

Quote:
He was able to buy and wear a t-shirt that would not cause controversy within the army. He chose one that implies that he is a member of the 1st parachute regiment and I hope he does get a dressing down.

Just because anyone can buy these t-shirts, does not mean that they should, IMO!
How dose it equate to protraying himself as a Para? I stand what I said.
Old 10-16-2006, 04:33 PM
Courtier

hahaha. I think what he wants is to cause those reactions!; people writing pages and pages about him wearing a t-shirt that he "shouldnt", when the rest of us can. I mean you can buy those from police and fire departments in the US ( I have one NYPD). I guess it could´ve been a present. It is really absurd;it is just a t-shirt not a hole uniform!.... and oh boy! he really looks in love with crazy Chelsy!
Old 10-16-2006, 05:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by avrilo
hahaha. I think what he wants is to cause those reactions!; people writing pages and pages about him wearing a t-shirt that he "shouldnt", when the rest of us can. I mean you can buy those from police and fire departments in the US ( I have one NYPD). I guess it could´ve been a present. It is really absurd;it is just a t-shirt not a hole uniform!.... and oh boy! he really looks in love with crazy Chelsy!
Hmmm, the point of view you describe here does obviously not take into account the background this prince comes from which is, actually, the background he gets his many, many privileges from. While it is true that any Willie Normalguy may put on this t-shirt on filling the British government's coffers when buying it, it's not the same if a prince of the realm does it.

That's part of the package of being a prince, IMHO - if you get your place in society due to tradition and the respect other people pay to your ancestry, you yourself should at least behave as if the background that supports your claim to well-being should count. In donning this t-shirt the prince obviously didn't pay this respect - thus I'm from today a supporter of cutting prince Harry out of the BRF!! Shall he earn his keep and wear t-shirts like Willie Normalguy. You can't have one without the other, IMHO.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 10-16-2006, 05:54 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
hahaha. I think what he wants is to cause those reactions!; people writing pages and pages about him wearing a t-shirt that he "shouldnt", when the rest of us can.
If he wanted to join the Paras and be morally entitled to wear the t-shirt, he should have done so. People can buy uniforms and war medals 2nd hand, is it OK for them to attend a parade, passing themselves off as having served their country?

As a Prince and an officer in the Household Cavalry, he is not supposed to act like a wannabe! Real soldiers do not feel the need to wear uniforms, badges or emblems they have not earned!
Old 10-16-2006, 06:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
hahaha. I think what he wants is to cause those reactions!; people writing pages and pages about him wearing a t-shirt that he "shouldnt", when the rest of us can.
If he really did that, then I agree with Jo.......cut him off and let him play normalguy, without Royal duties or privileges.

IMO wearing that t-shirt demonstrates an unattractive arrogance or spectacular lack of insight and/or lack of respect for tradition and the people who are entitled to wear it. Either way, it was very poor form.
Old 10-17-2006, 03:12 PM
Heir Apparent

The Game Bigs Up Prince Harry

Rapper The Game has announced he's Prince Harry's biggest fan and wants to treat him to a debaucherous night on the town.
Yes, THE Prince Harry.
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 10-17-2006, 08:19 PM
Royal Highness

Have they ever met?!
Old 10-17-2006, 08:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

lol The Game and Prince Henry of Wales hmmm oh where to start.... :P
Old 10-17-2006, 10:59 PM
Serene Highness

^That article gave me a good laugh!! Can you imagine The Game and Prince Harry hanging out? Nope, me either
Old 10-17-2006, 11:18 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
If he really did that, then I agree with Jo.......cut him off and let him play normalguy, without Royal duties or privileges.

IMO wearing that t-shirt demonstrates an unattractive arrogance or spectacular lack of insight and/or lack of respect for tradition and the people who are entitled to wear it. Either way, it was very poor form.
This seems to resemble a little bit the other times Harry wore something that was poor form (much worse situation, equally poor judgement imo)?

I do like Harry; he seems like a nice kid. But I have to wonder about his level of awareness.

I just ADORE his brother and so miss his mother Diana (gosh, I really miss seeing her she was wonderful, imo), but I have to wonder about all the gaffes...

How is it that Diana seemed to be so sensitive to things, but Harry not apparently informed of these types of 'faux pas' even in the slightest (can it be called that fairly)?

He probably doesn't even think about any of that until after the fact, if ever at all.

I have to say, it must be absolutely totally wonderful to be as care-free as Harry.

just my opinion.
Old 10-17-2006, 11:20 PM
Nobility

Quote:
If he wanted to join the Paras and be morally entitled to wear the t-shirt, he should have done so. People can buy uniforms and war medals 2nd hand, is it OK for them to attend a parade, passing themselves off as having served their country?

As a Prince and an officer in the Household Cavalry, he is not supposed to act like a wannabe! Real soldiers do not feel the need to wear uniforms, badges or emblems they have not earned!
Good point Skydragon. I think Prince Harry has a knack for committing gaffes with his clothing. He once wore a Che Guevarra T-Shirt, and of course no need to go into the Nazi uniform fiasco!! It could be that he was simply being thoughtless and careless with regards to his choice of T-Shirts, or he might've thought the shirt and insignia were just cool to wear.
Either way he should've known better.
I still like Prince Harry though.

Closed Thread

Tags
prince harry