Prince Harry Current Events 16: January-March 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Now it's official

Prince Harry Off To Fight In Iraq

Prince Harry's will be deployed to the danger zones of southern Iraq for a tour of duty, it has been confirmed.

Prince Harry Off To Fight In Iraq - Yahoo! News UK

An official statement has also been released from Clarence House and the MOD.

A joint statement from the Ministry of Defence and Clarence House about the operational deployment of Cornet Wales

We can confirm today that Prince Harry will deploy to Iraq later this year in command of a troop from ‘A Squadron’ of the Household Cavalry Regiment

Last edited:
You know, it was a high probabality all along that Harry would be deployed to Iraq. Given that situation, I find it incredibly irresponsible for those unnamed sources in the MoD who leaked out their 'concerns' to the press early about Harry going to Iraq.

By doing so, they raised the alarum and helped create a more dangerous situation for Harry and his men.

As I said in an earlier post, all soldiers concerned have known for a couple of weeks that they were being deployed, Harry and his family would probably have been told sooner. The 'unnamed sources' were probably soldiers from the same regiment or family/family friends that they had told!

I really think it is time that the soldiers, their units and their families were all told at the same time. That way if there is a leak beforehand, it would be easier to trace back to the 'big mouth singer' involved!

Harry Iraq deployment no surprise

The deployment of Prince Harry's regiment to Iraq has been confirmed by the Ministry of Defence. The prince has always said he wants to be taken seriously as a soldier.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
As for the supposed bodyguards, as one officer has said, if the British army is unable to 'take care' of him in Iraq, what hope have ordinary police officers got. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Though the news was expected, I was still slightly shocked when I heard the official confirmation and read the statement from the Clarence House.
Best luck to Cornet Wales and all the soldiers that will be deployed to Iraq. May all of them return unscratched and unharmed.

I hope the Media will be able to abide the following request of the Clarence House and MoD.
Speculation about precisely where Cornet Wales will serve, or the exact details of his role, is potentially dangerous. The Ministry of Defence and Clarence House are writing to ask all media organisations to respect this matter of operational security in order that Cornet Wales can undertake a normal tour of duty, which is his express wish and that of the Army.

well, finally is official, good luck harry! take care!

Avalon said:
Though the news was expected, I was still slightly shocked when I heard the official confirmation and read the statement from the Clarence House.
Best luck to Cornet Wales and all the soldiers that will be deployed to Iraq. May all of them return unscratched and unharmed.

I hope the Media will be able to abide the following request of the Clarence House and MoD.

Given the cavalier attitude towards operational security of both the GB and US press so far (the New York Times in particular), I'm extremely worried.

Skydragon said:
As I said in an earlier post, all soldiers concerned have known for a couple of weeks that they were being deployed, Harry and his family would probably have been told sooner. The 'unnamed sources' were probably soldiers from the same regiment or family/family friends that they had told!

I really think it is time that the soldiers, their units and their families were all told at the same time. That way if there is a leak beforehand, it would be easier to trace back to the 'big mouth singer' involved!

Harry Iraq deployment no surprise

The deployment of Prince Harry's regiment to Iraq has been confirmed by the Ministry of Defence. The prince has always said he wants to be taken seriously as a soldier.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
As for the supposed bodyguards, as one officer has said, if the British army is unable to 'take care' of him in Iraq, what hope have ordinary police officers got. :rolleyes:

You're right skydragon, although that was not the leak I referred to. I was referring to the leak when we first heard that Harry might be deployed to Iraq (I don't think he was out of Sandhurst yet) and already leaks were coming from the MoD expressing 'concern' about the terrorism threat that sending Harry to Iraq would pose. I think it started the circus.

ysbel said:
I was referring to the leak when we first heard that Harry might be deployed to Iraq (I don't think he was out of Sandhurst yet) and already leaks were coming from the MoD expressing 'concern' about the terrorism threat that sending Harry to Iraq would pose. I think it started the circus.
It did start the circus, but I am not convinced that those leaks had an ounce of truth to them. If they did, the conversation probably went with a reporter asking someone in the MOD, low level at that, possibly an LO2, what he thought about Harry being deployed if he passed out from Sandhurst. The civil servant, in order to get his dinner paid for, could have answered along the lines of... Ummm, it would certainly be a worry for the top brass. From that, reporters being what they are, get their headline story about the MOD expressing concern. :rolleyes:

God, its finally official so he is going to Iraq. I hope he takes care of himself while he is there.

I just read the official statement. I have expected that Harry will go to Iraq, but until now i had the hope that it will not happen.
I know that all famlies of soldiers who have military duties in Iraq or other regions, like Afghanistan, have the same fears for their loveones, like the Wales family will have. And i´m thinking of all of them.
But also i feel something special for Harry and his family, and so my prayers and wishes will go with him and his family.
Good luck for Harry, and a safe return!

Skydragon said:
.......As for the supposed bodyguards, as one officer has said, if the British army is unable to 'take care' of him in Iraq, what hope have ordinary police officers got. :rolleyes:
Well that takes care of the Protection Officer theory. What no civil servants, Crystal, polo ponies and fireworks....? Just kidding. :whistling:
I think his family must feel so proud that he is considered a fit leader and just as worried as the rest of the families whose loved ones are in harm's way. :unsure:
I wish Harry and his unit good luck and God speed. :flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Chiyo said:
Given the cavalier attitude towards operational security of both the GB and US press so far (the New York Times in particular), I'm extremely worried.
And don't forget HuffPost and Wonkette. They both narrowed down where British/English soldiers are likely to be stationed given the withdrawal of some of their troops soon.:ermm:

Wonkette btw is hilarious, but a bit inside baseball if you don't follow US politics and especially D.C. life. LMAO

MARG said:
I think his family must feel so proud that he is considered a fit leader
I'm sure they do, but you must remember that it is not the officers who run the unit, it is the NCO's, as most honest officers will tell you! :ROFLMAO:

Skydragon said:
I'm sure they do, but you must remember that it is not the officers who run the unit, it is the NCO's, as most honest officers will tell you! :ROFLMAO:
Forgive me. :blush: I momentarily lost my grip. Now then, correct me if I'm wrong.....

A General leaps tall buildings in a single bound, is faster than a speeding bullet and gives policy guidance to God. :D

A WOII/RSM picks up tall buildings and walks under them, catches speeding bullets with his teeth and chews their asses.....is God! :whistling:

MARG said:
Forgive me. :blush: I momentarily lost my grip. Now then, correct me if I'm wrong.....

A General leaps tall buildings in a single bound, is faster than a speeding bullet and gives policy guidance to God. :D

A WOII/RSM picks up tall buildings and walks under them, catches speeding bullets with his teeth and chews their asses.....is God! :whistling:
You are definitely slipping, you forgot to say all that is before breakfast! :ROFLMAO:

Skydragon said:
You are definitely slipping, you forgot to say all that is before breakfast! :ROFLMAO:
One again you are correct. Pax. :flowers: :ROFLMAO:

Don't tell me the soldiers of the British Army have to pay for their own war kits!

My confidence in the British Army has just diminished. Doesn't the Army have enough money to outfit its soldiers?

I think they are going to deploy Harry in the south, where the fighting is almost non-existent and he is very unlikely to be blown up by an IED and/or captured.

I suspect they will name a different site, closer to Bahgdad, as the deployment site in order to diffuse attempts. Also that Harry will have his hair cut very short in order to hide him better.

Of course since the British troops are being pulled out, by the time Harry's callup rolls around, he might not really go at all! Timing is everything.

ysbel said:
Don't tell me the soldiers of the British Army have to pay for their own war kits!

My confidence in the British Army has just diminished. Doesn't the Army have enough money to outfit its soldiers?

I guess it's similar in any army around the world. The army pays for the things in "necessary" quality, but of course in the outdoor shops much better things are available. If you have the money, of course you can invest in the high end products if it's allowed to use them.

The British Army (like most of its Government funded programs) is severely cash-short. I forget the name, but one of the prominent barracks was featured in several articles recently as being unfit for dogs, let alone soldiers and veterans.

Of course, the USA troops are no better helped. Many private organizations are sending over everything from basics like toilet paper to much scarier (because they are not mandatory) things like bulletproof vests and helmets that don't fall apart.

However, should Harry actually go, I believe his regiment will be the best-equipped along with his security detail. Perhaps it will show what can be done for troops with the right motivation.

ysbel said:
If they want the top quality items, they have to pay for them themselves. A couple of instances.

The boots that were supplied to some soldiers were a disgrace, the sole came away from the uppers "because they didn't know they were going to be used in a 'hot country"

They ran out of Shemaghs in desert colours, so supplied them in 'unusual' colours.

Sleeping bags of inferior quality and a size designed for men and women of 5ft 9in and under.

No, the government has cut the budget for the armed forces, whilst sending more and more men to war zones. The joke at the moment is that if Blair intends fighting anyone else, they had better send Dad's army! :ROFLMAO:

Suonymona said:
Of course, the USA troops are no better helped. Many private organizations are sending over everything from basics like toilet paper to much scarier (because they are not mandatory) things like bulletproof vests and helmets that don't fall apart.
On the contrary, the US troops are very well equipped, they set up coffee bars, their vehicles are far superior, they are all provided with bullet proof vests, unlike the UK troops.

However, should Harry actually go, I believe his regiment will be the best-equipped along with his security detail. Perhaps it will show what can be done for troops with the right motivation.
Harry is going, but there will be no separate security detail and his regiment will not receive any extra equipment, which is why Harry is having to buy his own.

Last edited:
Skydragon said:
If they want the top quality items, they have to pay for them themselves. A couple of instances.

The boots that were supplied to some soldiers were a disgrace, the sole came away from the uppers "because they didn't know they were going to be used in a 'hot country"

They ran out of Shemaghs in desert colours, so supplied them in 'unusual' colours.

Sleeping bags of inferior quality and a size designed for men and women of 5ft 9in and under.

No, the government has cut the budget for the armed forces, whilst sending more and more men to war zones. The joke at the moment is that if Blair intends fighting anyone else, they had better send Dad's army! :ROFLMAO:

This is truly scary, skydragon! No wonder the governments didn't institute the draft. Its one thing to subject volunteers to these conditions; one can say that they agreed to it when they signed up.

But its quite another thing to draft someone so they have no choice and then put them in these conditions.

For the most part I am quite comfortable with class differences and the fact that some people have more because of who their parents are - its a fact of life and most of the time, its not harmful. Otherwise I wouldn't be following royalty.

But the one area where I don't like seeing kids with rich parents getting an edge is in a combat zone where lives are at risk. That must be incredibly difficult on the morale of the men whose parents cannot afford the 1000 quid to outfit their sons. :mad: :mad:

A lot of the time parents and other relatives help out and ebay has a thriving trade, so I am told.

The British in Afghanistan and Iraq are called 'the borrowers' or 'the Flintstones' by the Americans and the Canadians, who by comparrison are superbly equipped!

The MOD should be supplying all these men and women with the equipment they need, but as any senior officer will tell you, complaining to the MOD is like banging your head against a super foam pillow. :censored: :furious:

Skydragon said:

What they really need to do is send Blair's son and the children of a few other high-ranking politicians, and they'd find the money fast enough. Perhaps these reports of Harry having to buy extra kit might wake people up to what's going on over there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom