The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 11:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

I really hope Harry doesn't go to Iraq.

"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 02-18-2007, 12:35 AM
Heir Apparent

Harry's going to war...first stop Iraq
Harry's going to war...first stop Iraq | the Daily Mail

Prince Harry off to Iraq?
Sky News: Prince Harry Off To Iraq?

How Harry won the battle of Iraq

How Harry won the battle of Iraq | Uk News | News | Telegraph

Prince Harry Iraq-bound
Prince Harry Iraq-bound - World - theage.com.au

Old 02-18-2007, 01:45 AM
Serene Highness

ugh, I'm going to be so worried about him.
Old 02-18-2007, 02:42 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by christinacg
ugh, I'm going to be so worried about him.

I don't mean to be rude but why would you be worried for about him? Are you worried about all the troops over there specifically or will you just be worried for Harry?

I can't understand people who worry about people they haven't met (and I am assuming - correct me if I am wrong - that like me you don't know Harry).

Personally I will worry about people I know like the grandson of one of my best friends who has just been posted there - because if something happens to him I know how upset she will be - but otherwise they are just troops doing the job they are trained to do and volunteered to do. They knew the risks when they joined the military. Harry falls into this category - he knew there was a war on when he joined the army - he knew that he might have to serve in a war zone - he has stated that he wants to serve there if his troop is sent - we should be happy that this young man is going to get to do what he has stated he wants to do - serve with his troops. If he didn't want to serve in a war zone then he shouldn't have joined the army at all.

I know others will disagree with me on this - it is the same as when people say they 'loved' or 'love' a member of the RF or any other celebrity for that matter - I can't understand that emotion - I love people I know personally not those who I read about in the newspapers and hear about on the tele.
Old 02-18-2007, 04:05 AM
Nobility

good for Prince Harry, being true to his duty as a soldier and not letting royal machine restrict him makes me respect him. I wish him and everyone serving in that mess of a war a safe return. Many of my friends and family members have atlease one person in either Iraq or Afghanistan!

A word of advice to the media: stop your criminally negligent reporting on a soldier in a warzone. If not, let's hope the government will step in, extending same legal protection all british soldiers are entitled to for Harry and his regiment.
Old 02-18-2007, 05:28 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissy57
I don't mean to be rude but why would you be worried for about him?

Speaking only for myself, I worry about celebrities I've followed for a long time or have "grown up" with, so to speak. Take Christina Aguilera for example. I've watched her on TV, and heard her music in one form or another for about 14 years now. So when I heard she got married, I was as excited as I would be if my best friend just told me she was getting married. I know we've never met and more than likely never will, but I was happy that she met a good guy and married him. Does mean something's wrong with me? Maybe, I don't know.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 02-18-2007, 05:40 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine
Speaking only for myself, I worry about celebrities I've followed for a long time or have "grown up" with, so to speak. Take Christina Aguilera for example. I've watched her on TV, and heard her music in one form or another for about 14 years now. So when I heard she got married, I was as excited as I would be if my best friend just told me she was getting married. I know we've never met and more than likely never will, but I was happy that she met a good guy and married him. Does mean something's wrong with me? Maybe, I don't know.

No there is nothing wrong with you and I certainly hope that you don't think that I was suggesting that.

I simply don't understand how you can have these feelings but acknowledge quite readily that others do.
Old 02-18-2007, 06:56 AM
Imperial Majesty

MoD dismisses Harry 'speculation'

The Ministry of Defence has dismissed as "entirely speculative" claims that Prince Harry is to be deployed to Iraq.

BBC NEWS | UK | MoD dismisses Harry 'speculation'

Quote:
Are you worried about all the troops over there specifically or will you just be worried for Harry?
Personally I worry about all of them. Every single one is the son, father, sister, brother, uncle etc of someone.
Old 02-18-2007, 12:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

palace confirm that harry will go to irak?
Today the world has embraced new royal Princesses in the form of Mary of Denmark and Maxima of the Netherlands. But it's questionable whether even these hugely popular, increasingly glamorous future Queens will ever capture the world's imagination in the same way as Diana.
As Mario acknowledges: "She really was a true Princess".
-www.theroyalist.net-
Old 02-18-2007, 12:56 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by corazon
palace confirm that harry will go to irak?
No, up to now there is no statement from Clarence House that Harry will have military duties in Iraq.
Old 02-18-2007, 01:10 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I don't mean to be rude but why would you be worried for about him? Are you worried about all the troops over there specifically or will you just be worried for Harry?

I can't understand people who worry about people they haven't met (and I am assuming - correct me if I am wrong - that like me you don't know Harry).

Personally I will worry about people I know like the grandson of one of my best friends who has just been posted there - because if something happens to him I know how upset she will be - but otherwise they are just troops doing the job they are trained to do and volunteered to do. They knew the risks when they joined the military. Harry falls into this category - he knew there was a war on when he joined the army - he knew that he might have to serve in a war zone - he has stated that he wants to serve there if his troop is sent - we should be happy that this young man is going to get to do what he has stated he wants to do - serve with his troops. If he didn't want to serve in a war zone then he shouldn't have joined the army at all.

I know others will disagree with me on this - it is the same as when people say they 'loved' or 'love' a member of the RF or any other celebrity for that matter - I can't understand that emotion - I love people I know personally not those who I read about in the newspapers and hear about on the tele.
wow, I'm not sure what to say to this. Of course I worry about all the soldiers that go over to Iraq. Esp. the ones I personally know. I lost a high school friend over there so I know how it feels. I know that a soldier dying isn't something you just hear about on tv but something thats real and its terrible to see what it does to their loved ones. I may not personally know Harry but I feel like I know him because so much of his life I can see in pictures and read about in articles. I don't see how worrying about him is a bad thing. I know I'm not the only one on this board who feels that way.
Old 02-18-2007, 01:28 PM
Heir Apparent

Personally I am worried about every single soldier that serves in Iraq, whether it's Armenian, British or other. And I am worried that Prince Harry's presence there might be dangerous not only for him but also for the soldiers, who will fight with him.

I understand his desire to prove himself, I understand how miserable he might feel if he is left in safety, while the other guys are there, risking their lives, but I suppose it would be better if he thought about the safety of those very soldiers in the first place.

If Prince Harry is indeed sent to Iraq (and until I see official confirmation from the Clarence House I am not going to believe it), then the Media had better not give too much information about his deployment, if any at all.
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 02-18-2007, 01:50 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
wow, I'm not sure what to say to this. Of course I worry about all the soldiers that go over to Iraq. Esp. the ones I personally know. I lost a high school friend over there so I know how it feels. I know that a soldier dying isn't something you just hear about on tv but something thats real and its terrible to see what it does to their loved ones. I may not personally know Harry but I feel like I know him because so much of his life I can see in pictures and read about in articles. I don't see how worrying about him is a bad thing. I know I'm not the only one on this board who feels that way.
I understand what you feel and what you want to say, christinacg!
You can like someone and worry about him without knowing him in person.
Many of us in this Forums feel the same about a Royal!
If the Prince of Wales has to go to Iraq, i would tremble with fear all days and nights ...
Old 02-18-2007, 02:34 PM
Aristocracy

Prince Harry wanted to see action;I just hope his troop comes back relatively unscathed.
Old 02-18-2007, 03:48 PM
Majesty

Quote:

I didn't say it was a bad thing for people to worry about him.

I asked why people would worry about a person they don't know personally because I don't and I find it a strange reaction.

I only have feelings for the people I know personally and therefore find it hard to understand why people say they worry about a person they haven't met, or get upset when someone they haven't met dies, or gets married etc.

I was not saying there was anything wrong with people having those feelings but trying to understand why they have them.

Personally I don't - that is my point.
Old 02-18-2007, 04:28 PM
Commoner

I'm sure most people won't agree with me.. but i think that in his determination to go to Iraq Harry is being rather narrowminded and - dare i say it - selfish. Does he not realise how much more danger he is putting "his men" in? His being there will make the people fighting alongside him more of a target than they already were. It would be better for him to stay in England boozing his sorrows away, rather than go and waste the MOD's money and resources and put his regiment in increased jeopardy.
Old 02-18-2007, 06:58 PM
Nobility

Than why bother taking the time and expense to train him as an Armoured Resse Troop Leader. Why not just make him do the Mounted Regiment?
Old 02-18-2007, 07:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by samgee
I'm sure most people won't agree with me.. but i think that in his determination to go to Iraq Harry is being rather narrowminded and - dare i say it - selfish.
In what way is he selfish. He joined the Army for a career, the same as his contemporaries, and he was specific about it being his career and not a hobby. Like every other young man and woman he needs an aim and objective in life and he has chosen the Army.
Quote:
Does he not realise how much more danger he is putting "his men" in? His being there will make the people fighting alongside him more of a target than they already were.
There is an old saying about "all cats looking the same in the dark" or in this case camoflage.
Quote:
It would be better for him to stay in England boozing his sorrows away, rather than go and waste the MOD's money and resources and put his regiment in increased jeopardy.
Ouch! Very very b***** statement. Also extremely nasty. From this extremely denigrating statement about Harry, I can only surmise that you loathe him with a passion. Whatever has he done to earn such enmity?

Harry going into the theatre of war has always been a given, as;

a. The UK was involved in military conflict before Harry applied to Sandhurst.

b. The Army accepted his enlistment at a time that they were involved in, dare I say it, war.

c. Harry has always said, all or nothing. He is either a serving officer or he is a civilian. No compromises will be accepted by him.

d. I believe his father and grandparents are totally supportive of his career. Worried, as are all families, but supportive of him.

If the government flinches, it risks losing one of the best 'Poster Boy's' for the military that it has. It would also be a slap in the face to every serving member of the Armed Forces, and to those who have fallen, killed or injured on the field of battle

The implication that Harry's life is somehow worth more than any other soldier is an abomination. Harry is 3rd in line to the throne. Andrew was 2nd when he deployed to the Falklands. Harry, for all his wild ways (trial by media?) is a very patriotic young man.

If and when he deploys I will pray for him as I do the rest of those in harm's way, and continue to hope for a speedy resolution to the conflicts.
Old 02-18-2007, 08:11 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

For all those so concerned about the tax bill, it would be a waste to have trained him and not sent him. Otherwise, the Palace and the military should have let him be a fool -- a male Paris Hilton -- and trained another young person.

I am very fond of Harry... and wonder what Diana would have thought about her baby going off to war, but so many parents have that concern. I hope that this will be a beneficial experience for Harry, and wish him and his men great success.
Old 02-18-2007, 08:25 PM
Courtier

Quote:

I understand what you are saying as well as understand what others are saying about worrying about the whole lot.

However, those other soldiers really have no names and faces on this forum. Those who worry specifically about Harry really do care about him and will worry as he has become a brother, a son, a friend--who does have a face, a name and a life that they have followed.

I do not think those who do worry about Harry, necessarily do not care about the rest of the men in his regiment that may be assigned to a dangerous area like area. Harry is the man that stands out. He is man that we all follow. We do not know the other "John Does" who are in just as much danger as good ole Harry. Yes they have names, faces and life...however, we on this forum do not know them. We know Harry and William and the rest of the people that we follow on this forum...We visit them either everyday for most and for others a couple times of week as we visit this forum and read the 'gossip', 'concerns', 'joy', 'sadness', etc.

Tags
prince harry