The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 10:29 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
Here's another one of Harry's booze benders!

London, Feb 5 (ANI): Prince Harry recently spent a boozy night partying at a posh London club and flirted with a gorgeous brunette clubber.

Here's another one of Harry's booze benders!
Thank you, Skydragon, for your work on bringing us these links. It is surely not only appreciated by me. But: Is that (even if true) newsworthy?

'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:53 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine
Thank you, Skydragon, for your work on bringing us these links. It is surely not only appreciated by me. But: Is that (even if true) newsworthy?
My pleasure Jo of Palatine. I have to admit that most of it is far from newsworthy, but I post the 'good' as well as the 'bad' and let everyone come to their own decision.

Old 02-05-2007, 04:12 PM

Ok, so because I was curious and also a member of facebook (as most college students are) I did a search for 'Spike Wells'. On facebook, unlike say myspace or bebo you can only view people who are a part of your network ie: Central Michigan University. You can however search to find people then add them as your friends and see their profile but if you just search you are presented with people with a name match and you can see what network they belong to and see their friends. So there were a couple Spike Wells but one listed under South Africa network has Chelsy D, Shaun Davy, Holly Branson and a number of other friends who are a part of the South Africa network and other networks such as St. Andrews Alum '05.
Anyway I was just curious and thought I would give it a look as I am usually visiting this site and facebook at nearly the same times.
Old 02-06-2007, 04:23 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by shez125
Ok, so because I was curious and also a member of facebook (as most college students are) I did a search for 'Spike Wells'. On facebook, unlike say myspace or bebo you can only view people who are a part of your network ie: Central Michigan University. You can however search to find people then add them as your friends and see their profile but if you just search you are presented with people with a name match and you can see what network they belong to and see their friends. So there were a couple Spike Wells but one listed under South Africa network has Chelsy D, Shaun Davy, Holly Branson and a number of other friends who are a part of the South Africa network and other networks such as St. Andrews Alum '05.
Anyway I was just curious and thought I would give it a look as I am usually visiting this site and facebook at nearly the same times.

So that's indicative of someone of the 'friends' sold(?) the information to the press. I went and looked myself and only found the friends. Now I wonder if there's been a large number of people trying to sign on as friends. And, I guess I would also like to read some of the other stuff too.
Old 02-06-2007, 05:40 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
My pleasure Jo of Palatine. I have to admit that most of it is far from newsworthy, but I post the 'good' as well as the 'bad' and let everyone come to their own decision.
Oh dear, I didn't want to say anything about your editorial choices as I completely agree about the importance to read as much as you can in case you're interested in a topic and then making up your own mind - I was wondering about the editors of these tabloids and their idea of what is newsworthy enough to present to their readers? It has nothing whatsoever to do with the things I was taught and which founded the basis of my reasoning when I was an editor myself (not of a tabloid, I might add...)
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 02-06-2007, 06:12 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRH Kimetha
So that's indicative of someone of the 'friends' sold(?) the information to the press. I went and looked myself and only found the friends. Now I wonder if there's been a large number of people trying to sign on as friends. And, I guess I would also like to read some of the other stuff too.
I didn't know this website before - now I wonder if you can sign on as friend for a network by yourself or do you need someone who acts as an admin (like on a group)? If you can sign on by yourself it was stupid that Harry wrote these things "in public" but maybe he simply don't mind at all or it isn't him but one of the group or a group of people who follow Harry and his friends and opened up their own accounts using the names of people who from media reports are to be identified as friends of Harry....

I wouldn't put too much in it - after all one could have imagined before that Harry loves Chelsy Whatever that means for him at the moment...), that they joke about his driving a tank, etc.

I can understand that he might have wished to be part of a friendly community, just like we enjoy being here at TRF and so I'm a bit sorry that this story found its way into the media - but that's part of the prize he has to pay for being who he is and noone can change that.
Old 02-06-2007, 06:24 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine
Oh dear, I didn't want to say anything about your editorial choices
I didn't take it as a criticism.

On another note, I should think, very few people use their real name on sites like 'facebook'. I can't see Harry or Chelsy being that stupid!
Old 02-06-2007, 07:30 AM

All these meeting sites are quite similar and they can all be cheated. You don't have to use your real name or photograph as I've found out more than once to my horror, so there's no way of proving it is Harry and there's no way of proving it isn't. Perfect for the press.
Old 02-06-2007, 07:57 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyd0ll
Actually, it's a rule of facebook that everyone must use their real names (when you sign up, the default is your first full name and the first letter of your last name, but 99% of everyone changes it to both first and last name), although it's not strictly enforced. Ex. Chelsy could easily sign up as Chels, and one would be able to get away with being 'Spike Wells' because facebook can't prove that it's not his real name, after all who knows, someone may be crazy enough to name their child Spike!
That is the point though isn't it. They can't prove it is or isn't a real name or that is the person who is actually signing up. Anyone can sign up as Chelsy D, but it may not be their real name.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:58 AM
Royal Highness

Did anybody read about Prince Harry today on the Royalist?

I guess he ran up a huge bar tab. I thought he had free drinks at one of the bars he and Prince William go to frequently.

The post on the Royalist does not mention which bar he was at.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:23 AM
Aristocracy

Harry is a free spirit lad and full of mischief. Let him enjoy life. He is not much different than most off a young man at his age.

All I can say is: I hope he doesn't have a drinking problem.
Old 02-06-2007, 12:18 PM

Upon closer inspection it seems the Spike Wells on the South Africa network is listed as female. But it does seem quite legit that it is Chelsy and I also saw Beatrice York and Eugene York as well as Amedeo de Beligue. I think that because facebook is relatively safe they are able to have profiles.
Old 02-06-2007, 02:09 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by shez125
Upon closer inspection it seems the Spike Wells on the South Africa network is listed as female. But it does seem quite legit that it is Chelsy and I also saw Beatrice York and Eugene York as well as Amedeo de Beligue. I think that because facebook is relatively safe they are able to have profiles.
I don't think so. Definately not. Why should they use their real names when it is about communicating with friends? Why endanger that secret sphere via a webplatform which gives other members the chance to search for these "real names"? They are not in the phone book either, are they?

I could imagine that there is a network, be it on facebook or on another page where people calling themselves "Lucy Miller" and "Pete Smith" and "Meredith Bakns" communicate with each other - with Pete Smith declaring his love for Lucy while noone else is interested. How should they if they are not in the know that Lucy is eg Chelsy and Pete Harry?

For me networks like these are the ideal platforms for imposters and wannabes while the real prominent people won't use their real names there. And it's an old trick when you want to get new members or publicity.

I once bought a Sting-CD online and got with it an invitation to try "sting.com". They told me that Sting would read these forums.... Of course that was the first thing I asked the other posters and of course he has never shown up there, not even a person one could imagine it could have been him. Then I got a mail from them where they told me that Sting would perform "Songs from the labyrinth" in a small venue with "members only "access and only on four places in the world. They invited me to take part in an non-profit contest to win a free ticket for the Berlin venue. I did because I'm claustrophobic in big masses, so never thought I could see Sting live) and won one ticket, went to Berlin (paying airfare and hotel) but ended up in such a dirty, ugly and smelly atmosphere in this notorious "underground"-club that I was so glad to be home finally.

Only to find out only a short time later (but not from sting.com) that Sting is now doing a whole tour of the concert halls of the world including my favorite one in Munich with it's sophisticated atmosphere and wonderful accustic! Now talk about make-believe!

I bet it's the same with this webpage - generating publicity with nothing behind it.
Old 02-06-2007, 04:27 PM

The danger with these sites is that you have to be a very trusting person. MySpace, Facebook, Bebo, Faceparty and Gaydar all ask you to be honest but how many people actually would be? You can put any picture, any name and any profile information on there hence why on MySpace, several Royals, politicians, celebs and other public figures have pages. They haven't been written or created by the people they are supposed to be read and used by - they're written by people who have no lives. I doubt that Harry, Bea, Eugenie or Amadeo would put a profile on any of those sites. It's just too risky. A few years ago, a politicians son put a profile on Gaydar with his real name and piccie and he was outed in the press. So the press are aware of these sites and any site where messages are public would attract media attention. Harry may have made mistakes in the past but he isn't a dunce. I just dont believe it is Harry or Chelsy posting on these.
Old 02-06-2007, 07:18 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyd0ll
The reason that I think Chelsy's facebook is probably legit is because a) she has a personal, candid picture of herself, not one that has been spread across the internet, and b)Shaun Davy's facebook.
1. Why would she chance putting anything on this site.
2. There are very many pictures that are available in magazines etc.
3. They would not post pictures of themselves for just anyone to see.
4. They really are not that stupid.
Many people go on sites like this, very few tell the truth, IMO. If Harry and Chelsy wanted to communicate with their 'friends', I would think they would use a secure telephone line, mobile or server.

Quote:
partly due to the fact that it IS quite secure
It's not at all secure if you can access Chelsy's 'space'
Old 02-06-2007, 11:29 PM

Its difficult to explain facebook. It is a social network site but more professional then most. For example, in the U.S. some employers treat it as an extension of a job application, when you hand in an application employers have been known to then look that person up on facebook, 'friend' that person and see how they spend their time outside of the work environment. At least that is what I have been told by professors who try to make sure you don't post pictures of yourself at keggers as possible employers may see them. Unlike myspace, or bebo you cannot see anyones profile until you have confirmed them as a friend and they likewise cannot view your profile. When you search for a name you get matches which display only the name, network, small profile pic and the options to add them as a friend, send a message or view that persons friends (with the same display).
I agree that there is a chance that they are fake profiles but the problem with this is that someone would have to make the profile and the profiles of all 213 friends (in Chelsy D's case). Reasonable with a site like myspace but hardly worth the effort with the restrictions of facebook.
More information is available about facebook with the link:
Facebook - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Just my opinion of course. :)
Old 02-06-2007, 11:51 PM
Imperial Majesty

We're getting well off the topic of Harry's current events. The moderators are discussing how much of this Facebook conversation to leave and how much to delete; in the meantime, perhaps we can get back on topic. Thank you.

Elspeth

British Royals moderator
Old 02-07-2007, 04:57 AM
Aristocracy

Re Harry running up a huge bar tab at the weekend. There was an article in London Lite ( a free commuter paper from the same people as The Evening Standard) last night that said it totalled £11,500! I mean I'm all for having a good time but this just seems unbelievable.
Of course we can't be sure if this is 100% correct or who actually paid for it etc, but if even only a part of it is true, then I have to say I'm quite shocked.
The royal family is supported in part by my, and every other UK taxpayer's taxes and to see this monumental waste of money is maddening. Sure, Harry has a job but on a salary of around £20k pa I can't see any other young officers blowing half their annual salary on one night out.
Anyway, that's just my view and I'm glad to have got it of my chest!
Old 02-07-2007, 05:13 AM

I don't believe he spent eleven grand on booze. Even Oliver Reed didn't drink that much in one night. I think we have to bear in mind that it's a slow news week and Harry bashing sells papers.
Old 02-07-2007, 05:20 AM
Aristocracy

As I said, I'm not sure it's true but the paper did list some of the drinks supposedly bought and they included bottles of champagne at £200 a go and cocktails (to share, I presume) that cost £100 each. Including some food aand as it was alledgedly a largish group, it would not take long to rack up.
Anyway, Beatrix Fan, you are correct, Harry bashing is always a good seller!

Tags
prince harry