The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #221  
Old 04-25-2006, 01:57 AM
Avalon's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Yerevan, Armenia
Posts: 5,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Fan
It might be good both for his Confidence and the Monarchys Popularity :)
And for Harry as well. How do you think he will fell, knowing his guys are there, facing all the dangers, and he is in the back line? I would feel dreadful and a bit useless.
There is always the security issue though. Harry would be a too attractive target for possible terrorists. Maybe they could hide his whereabouts. Is it possible?
__________________

__________________
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
  #222  
Old 04-25-2006, 04:14 AM
AnaM's Avatar
Gentry
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: , United States
Posts: 80
Here's an article in Tuesday, April 25, 2006 Washington Post about Prince Harry and his views on going to war. It's basically old news to us royal watchers but you can never have enough articles about a prince.
Warrior Prince Harry Wants the Right to Fight


http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...042401818.html
__________________

__________________
"If you don't like your situation, change it. If you can't change it, leave it."
~ The Ballad of Jack and Rose
  #223  
Old 04-25-2006, 05:20 AM
Skydragon's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: London and Highlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 10,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpusa1981
Thank you do you think that he will resgin his commission?
No I don't. I think all of this would have been sorted out before he signed with his chosen regiment. He has another 5 months of training with the HC and I know the MOD is stupid at times but, I can't see them paying for his further training or paying his wages, if they have decided not to deploy him with his men. If there had been any doubts about his participation, why did they not insist that he join the ceremonial troop

If he does complete his training with the HC, then I think we can all take it that this matter is settled in the minds of the CO's and Clarence House.
Of course they must be seen to be worried but, this seems to be a storm cooked up in a tabloid paper and we all know how everyone then gets on the bandwagon.
  #224  
Old 04-25-2006, 05:40 AM
Skydragon's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: London and Highlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 10,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Fan
Would he ever be allowed to wear a Uniform on certain occasions or only if he gets an Honorary (sp) Role if he resigns. lol sorry for any mistakes in grammer
If he resigns his commission, he will not have the right to wear a uniform or describe himself as an army officer.

So the only way to see him in a uniform, would be if he gets an honourary position.:)

I think everyone on here is brilliant with their spelling and grammer, especially as for most it is not their first language. I hope you will forgive my spelling and grammatical mistakes as well.
  #225  
Old 04-25-2006, 07:07 AM
ysbel's Avatar
Heir Apparent
TRF Author
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 5,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
No I don't. I think all of this would have been sorted out before he signed with his chosen regiment. He has another 5 months of training with the HC and I know the MOD is stupid at times but, I can't see them paying for his further training or paying his wages, if they have decided not to deploy him with his men. If there had been any doubts about his participation, why did they not insist that he join the ceremonial troop

If he does complete his training with the HC, then I think we can all take it that this matter is settled in the minds of the CO's and Clarence House.
Of course they must be seen to be worried but, this seems to be a storm cooked up in a tabloid paper and we all know how everyone then gets on the bandwagon.
I sincerely hope you're right, skydragon, but I'm concerned that the BBC is quoting some MoD personnel concerned with this issue when as you say, it should have been sorted out in private and beforehand. The BBC is pretty reliable.

I have no doubt that Harry's instructors and his teammates are confident in him but the higher up you go in the hierarchy the more political any organization becomes.
__________________
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
  #226  
Old 04-25-2006, 10:08 AM
Skydragon's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: London and Highlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 10,945
Reid defends Harry in service row

Prince Harry should be allowed to serve on the front line of battle zones, Defence Secretary John Reid has said.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4938978.stm

But it is understood some military commanders feel a royal presence in this already volatile region could increase the dangers for British troops.

They don't name their source and use the "it is understood" and "some military commanders".

This chap seems to have some sense regarding the issue.

Defence analyst Amyas Godfrey, of the Royal United Services Institute, said he thought the dangers of the prince serving in a battle zone had been overstated. "It would be an enormous amount of resources to kidnap one British soldier or to specifically attack that one specific soldier, and in many ways that would be counter-productive for an insurgency," he said.

I still feel that this is an issue that has already been 'agreed upon' or 'sorted out' with the people that matter and the only point of this story, is to sell papers.
  #227  
Old 04-25-2006, 05:10 PM
ysbel's Avatar
Heir Apparent
TRF Author
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 5,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
I still feel that this is an issue that has already been 'agreed upon' or 'sorted out' with the people that matter and the only point of this story, is to sell papers.
Then why are there leaks from the Ministry of Defence? It looks like the high profile the story is getting will put Harry in more danger of a kidnap attempt.
__________________
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
  #228  
Old 04-25-2006, 05:16 PM
Zonk's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Somewhere in, United States
Posts: 10,601
I am sorry..I am probably in the minority..but I don't think that Prince Harry should be on the front lines. Yes..I totally agree with him that he should fight with his men and that is what he is training for..I just think that his presence would be a distraction. Who is going to guard him...body guards who are also in the army. He would be a sitting duck for any terrorist out there (not that he already isn't) but it would be hard.

I feel for him..cause I know this is what he wants to do..I just don't think he should.
  #229  
Old 04-25-2006, 05:36 PM
Skydragon's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: London and Highlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 10,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
Then why are there leaks from the Ministry of Defence? It looks like the high profile the story is getting will put Harry in more danger of a kidnap attempt.
But do we know these are leaks or just a reporter getting carried away.

I have to admit I know a number of senior ranks in the armed forces who would like nothing more than to cause egg to be on the faces of some of these 'reporters', in exchange for a 5 star meal in a 5 star restaurant.
  #230  
Old 04-25-2006, 05:45 PM
Skydragon's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: London and Highlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 10,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk1189
I am sorry..I am probably in the minority..but I don't think that Prince Harry should be on the front lines. Yes..I totally agree with him that he should fight with his men and that is what he is training for..I just think that his presence would be a distraction. Who is going to guard him...body guards who are also in the army. He would be a sitting duck for any terrorist out there (not that he already isn't) but it would be hard.

I feel for him..cause I know this is what he wants to do..I just don't think he should.
I think he should serve wherever his unit is sent. Are you really saying that his life is worth more than any other soldier or airman, to anyone other than his parents and family?

He is not going to have a helicopter flying over him with an arrow saying 'this is Prince Harry'. He will face the same dangers of being kidnapped or shot as 1000's of other much loved men and women from all the allied countries!
If he/it is decided that he won't fight (which I doubt) then he should be made to resign his commission now and stop receiving his army pay and get a safe little job somewhere in cotton wool land or be transfered immediately to the ceremonial troop, where he could be in danger of a terrorist attack anyway!
  #231  
Old 04-25-2006, 05:53 PM
ysbel's Avatar
Heir Apparent
TRF Author
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 5,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
But do we know these are leaks or just a reporter getting carried away.

I have to admit I know a number of senior ranks in the armed forces who would like nothing more than to cause egg to be on the faces of some of these 'reporters', in exchange for a 5 star meal in a 5 star restaurant.
I honestly don't know skydragon and given the reliability of the rag press, its a good question.

However, I think the story is a bit more reliable when the BBC quotes a MoD source rather than a paper like the Daily Mail.
__________________
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
  #232  
Old 04-25-2006, 05:58 PM
Zonk's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Somewhere in, United States
Posts: 10,601
No, I don't think his life is worth more than any other soldier. But lets face facts, soldiers face dangers every day in Iraq/Afghanistan. Road bombs, policing the squares/bazaars, etc. You don't think that they the terrorists would not get an extra kick to do harm to him. Wasn't it only recently that someone denounced Queen Elizabeth...and her grandson is going to war?

Again, based upon what I heard (cause I haven't had the pleasure of meeting him)..he does want to serve and for that I commend him. IMO it would be an unwise decision to put his in the front lines, because not only will he in extra danger but so will the people guarding him.
  #233  
Old 04-25-2006, 05:59 PM
ysbel's Avatar
Heir Apparent
TRF Author
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 5,390
Well in answer to the question who would protect Harry if he went into battle, the answer is the same as with Andrew, no one.

It defeats the purpose of sending him to battle.

When this story first broke out, there was a quote from the MoD that Harry may need special protection in some circumstances. Several military officers said that would be impossible and counterproductive.

The royals have issued a statement that while there may be security risks, its for Harry's commanding officer to decide when and where Harry should go. That's pretty standard procedure for anyone in the military, regardless of the country.
__________________
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
  #234  
Old 04-26-2006, 06:05 AM
Skydragon's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: London and Highlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 10,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
However, I think the story is a bit more reliable when the BBC quotes a MoD source rather than a paper like the Daily Mail.
I'm afraid the BBC is not as reliable or accurate as it once was, as proved by the Kelly/Gilligan affair.

Yes the MOD, when asked will have made a statement but, we all know that by moving a comma, inserting your own interpretation, the whole thing can be changed.

I am quite sure that any decision, when made, will be made by his CO at the time and not by the MOD, who are generally just civil servants.
  #235  
Old 04-26-2006, 11:33 AM
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: ***, United States
Posts: 16,894
Since Harry joined the Army at a time when the Army was engaged in a war - which is increasingly looking like a long-term effort - this issue must have been addressed before he started. The newspapers may not know exactly what his situation is, but I can't believe that this wasn't thought through carefully ahead of time by senior people in the Army and the Queen's household.

It wouldn't do the image of the monarchy any good at all to train him as an Army officer and then give him all sorts of special treatment, especially to the extent of distracting attention from genuine problems to ensure that he was protected while serving in a war zone. George VI and Prince Andrew did their bit as Naval officers during wars, and there's no reason why Harry shouldn't also serve.
  #236  
Old 04-26-2006, 04:11 PM
HRH Kimetha's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Arlington, United States
Posts: 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
Since Harry joined the Army at a time when the Army was engaged in a war - which is increasingly looking like a long-term effort - this issue must have been addressed before he started. The newspapers may not know exactly what his situation is, but I can't believe that this wasn't thought through carefully ahead of time by senior people in the Army and the Queen's household.

It wouldn't do the image of the monarchy any good at all to train him as an Army officer and then give him all sorts of special treatment, especially to the extent of distracting attention from genuine problems to ensure that he was protected while serving in a war zone. George VI and Prince Andrew did their bit as Naval officers during wars, and there's no reason why Harry shouldn't also serve.
I personally wouldn't want to see either Prince on the front line--nor anyone else for that matter. However, if it is something both need to satisfy their aggressive needs and monarchial(?) duties, then so be it with hopes they learn a lot about what war is about and that movies and war may not exactly be as real as the real thing. These two lads were brought up around the military, whether through relatives, friends, parades, etc. Then there were their mother's friends and both her's and their's bodyguards who were either military or former military. The service will give them a job, a paycheck, medical benefits and keep them both in line and out of bars (hopefully).:)
  #237  
Old 04-27-2006, 01:09 AM
Harry's polo shirt's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: my paradise, United States
Posts: 2,091
Harry's desire to fight is understandable, I think he will think he is a disgrace to his country if he doesn't fight in the war and protect his country.

IMO Harry should be able to fight in a war zone. I realize the danger his regiment will face with him there. I don't think he would need bodygaurds with him either (he would have an entire army around him). If he is kidnapped or killed then his death was honorable. I think it would make Britian look like a strong and confident country to terrorists, if they sent Prince Harry to fight. What would the message be to people who have lost loved ones in the war? That their son, daughter, father, mother has to fight in the war but their prince can't because its to dangerous?
__________________
"The pain of spending a week with my brother is well worth it."
Prince William, on joining Prince Harry for a charity motorcycle ride across South Africa

  #238  
Old 04-27-2006, 02:24 AM
Avalon's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Yerevan, Armenia
Posts: 5,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry's polo shirt
Harry's desire to fight is understandable, I think he will think he is a disgrace to his country if he doesn't fight in the war and protect his country.

IMO Harry should be able to fight in a war zone. I realize the danger his regiment will face with him there. I don't think he would need bodygaurds with him either (he would have an entire army around him). If he is kidnapped or killed then his death was honorable. I think it would make Britian look like a strong and confident country to terrorists, if they sent Prince Harry to fight. What would the message be to people who have lost loved ones in the war? That their son, daughter, father, mother has to fight in the war but their prince can't because its to dangerous?
I agree with you that Prince Harry must be sent to front line, especially if he wants it himself. It would be unbearable, to think that your guys are there, risking their lives and you are at home, in safety (i am pretty sure that's one of the reasons he is so eager to go to the front line). And though he is a Prince, I don't think his life costs more then the live of any British soldier. They all have families and loved ones.
But still i don't think the reason they will doubt whether to send or not Prince Harry to the front line, is that it's too dangerous. It's the fact that not only Prince Harry but people around him would be in double danger.
I honestly don't know what will they do. I only know one thing: if it were me, if I were in Harry's shoes, I would definetely go. I would never stay back, while others are in danger, and I am sure that's what he feels as well.
__________________
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
  #239  
Old 04-27-2006, 01:09 PM
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: ***, United States
Posts: 16,894
Time (actually, past time) for a new thread, which can be found here:

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...-9-a-9514.html
__________________

Closed Thread

Tags
prince harry


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Prince Harry Current Events 27: April 2013-March 2015 Zonk Current Events Archive 772 03-19-2015 10:22 PM
Prince Harry Current Events 17: March 2007 Warren Current Events Archive 200 03-30-2007 07:31 AM
Prince Harry Current Events 12: April-July 2006 Elspeth Current Events Archive 166 07-14-2006 05:34 PM
Charlene Wittstock Current Events 1 : March 2006 - April 2006 tiawanika Current Events Archive 413 04-12-2006 12:18 PM
Prince Harry Current Events 10: January-March 2006 Elspeth Current Events Archive 196 03-14-2006 10:46 AM




Popular Tags
abdication belgium best outfit brussels carl philip crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events death fashion fashion poll germany grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta leonor infanta sofia jordan king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king philippe king willem-alexander letizia luxembourg maxima nobility official visit ottoman picture of the week poland president gauck president komorowski prince carl philip prince daniel prince floris princess aimee princess alexia (2005 -) princess ariane princess astrid princess beatrix princess catharina-amalia princess charlene princess madeleine princess mary princess mette-marit princess of asturias queen fabiola queen letizia queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen letizia style queen mathilde queen maxima queen rania queen silvia queen sonja royal royal fashion sofia hellqvist spain state visit stockholm sweden the hague visit wedding



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:58 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2015
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]