Prince Harry and Meghan Markle, General News 1: November 2017 - May 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a big difference between ‘being friendly’ with your staff and ‘being friends’.
Security, maids, housekeepers, dressers, press officers, private secretaries etc are employees. That is the real world. Any of you who have staff/employees know that when the line between friendly and friendship gets blurred, there can be issues over how the relationship is managed.

Its isnt about class at all.

When was it established that they don't curtsey to anyone but the Queen? Is it just the 3rd generation that follows that?
Meghan's emergence has brought to the forefront certain prejudices that exist in the society of her new country. I've always been disappointed that more people didn't call put the blatant class bias against the Middleton's; the media made it a point to mention her mothers family were coal miners but hardly mentioned Michael Middleton's family background.

When was it established that they don't curtsey to anyone but the Queen? Is it just the 3rd generation that follows that?
Meghan's emergence has brought to the forefront certain prejudices that exist in the society of her new country. I've always been disappointed that more people didn't call put the blatant class bias against the Middleton's; the media made it a point to mention her mothers family were coal miners but hardly mentioned Michael Middleton's family background.

It’s true. The family don’t curtsy to each other. They curtsy to The Queen and foreign monarchs. So Meghan won’t be curtsying to anyone other than Her Majesty.

Meghan will be fine. People don’t have to run around like chickens with their heads cut off on Meghan following protocol. The class system is at play here. It happened to Meghan’s soon to be sister-in-law during her courtship.

Just one correction on the curtsy. I do believe they curtsy to Prince Philip as well.

Just one correction on the curtsy. I do believe they curtsy to Prince Philip as well.

They definitely do.

But I've never seen the Wales Sons bow to their father, for example. So it seems reserved for the monarch/consort, visiting monarchs/consorts and the direct heirs of other families.

It’s true. The family don’t curtsy to each other. They curtsy to The Queen and foreign monarchs. So Meghan won’t be curtsying to anyone other than Her Majesty.

Meghan will be fine. People don’t have to run around like chickens with their heads cut off on Meghan following protocol. The class system is at play here. It happened to Meghan’s soon to be sister-in-law during her courtship.

Small correction, she'll curtsy to King Charles and Camilla, and to King William and Queen Catherine as well.

Meghan is going into unknown territory, it is far from certain that she'll be fine. She will be under an incredible amount of stress in ways that she couldn't ever have comprehended.

All this talk about protocol like it's ancient history has me surprised, protocol is what the monarchy is founded on. And it is a class system that Meghan has decided to marry into.

When Diana was newly married she was called out by the graymen for being too familiar with the staff (hugging, hanging out in their quarters, etc). Turns out it was the staff themselves who complained, they found it disrespectful because they are professionals and expected to be treated as such. Meghan may find that people don't want the system to change.

I thought this article by Diana's private secretary Patrick Jephson quite insightful Dman.

To me, these are the "unwritten rules" sometimes mentioned - to succeed within the Royal Family.

I don't think things are so relaxed that these points are not still valid.

A guide to royal survival by Princess Diana’s private secretary | Daily Mail Online

And on another note, with all the Royal specials on TV, I saw some old footage of Diana being grabbed by a member of the public during a routine walkabout.

Although she regained her composure and the security guys moved so quickly and forcefully - it showed how vunerable the family members are whenever they're out. Bad experience for Diana.

(Hope things work out Dman and you're able to watch the wedding.)

I actually agree with what he says, whether he's flogging a book or not this guy has been on the front lines and knows what he's talking about. I don't think the monarchy has really relaxed much at all since Diana's days so I feel these unwritten rules still apply to a large extent. Sounds like good advice to me.

Last edited:
Small correction, she'll curtsy to King Charles and Camilla, and to King William and Queen Catherine as well.

Meghan is going into unknown territory, it is far from certain that she'll be fine. She will be under an incredible amount of stress in ways that she couldn't ever have comprehended.

All this talk about protocol like it's ancient history has me surprised, protocol is what the monarchy is founded on. And it is a class system that Meghan has decided to marry into.

When Diana was newly married she was called out by the graymen for being too familiar with the staff (hugging, hanging out in their quarters, etc). Turns out it was the staff themselves who complained, they found it disrespectful because they are professionals and expected to be treated as such. Meghan may find that people don't want the system to change.

The young royals do maintain a professional and working relationship with their staff, but they are much more relaxed at KP.

Diana came into the royal family at a very different time than what Meghan and Catherine have come into. The younger generation of senior royals are a bit more relaxed and not too formal. I’m talking about William and Harry; who would prefer everybody to call them by their first names...not Your Royal Highness.

What Meghan is dealing with is a media and royal watchers that pretty much think of the royal family that’s still under the direction of George V. Those days are long gone.

Important protocols are followed by all, but things just aren’t too stiff, starchy and formal as they used to be. These new royal brides wouldn’t survive in those kind of environments in 2018. No one should expect them too either.

Last edited:
The young royals do maintain a professional and working relationship with their staff, but they are much more relaxed at KP.

Diana came into the royal family at a very different time than what Meghan and Catherine have come into. The younger generation of senior royals are a bit more relaxed and not too formal. I’m talking about William and Harry; who would prefer everybody to call them by their first names...not Your Royal Highness.

What Meghan is dealing with is a media and royal watchers that pretty much think of the royal family that’s still under the direction of George V. Those days are long gone.

Important protocols are followed by all, but things just aren’t too stiff, starchy and formal as they used to be. These new royal brides wouldn’t survive in those kind of environments in 2018. No one should expect them too either.

That's exactly what I don't agree with, things have not changed that much since Diana's days. It has nothing to do with the attitude of the younger generation of royals and everything to do with a system that runs smoothly because protocols are followed.

It's not the media or royal watchers that are going to cause Meghan stress, it's those people inside the monarchy that disapprove, critique, advise that I believe are going to cause Meghan the most heartburn. Well, aside from her three ring circus of a family.

Frederik and Mary of Denmark has reportedly made a point of having the family's lifeguards removed if they get to close to them, especially if they get to close to the children. Not because they don't like them but because they feel that the guards can't do their jobs properly if they get to emotionally invested in the family and because they need some distance between them to cope with never being entirely alone.
That said they're said to be well liked by their members of staff.

Time to move on from the discussion of interaction between royalty and staff - we have other threads to discuss protocols etc. Let's stick to general news here - thanks.

Just a reminder - discussion about the Markle family is off-topic for this thread. Posts will be removed accordingly.

More Meghans Mirror

A #RoyalTour! The palace has confirmed suspicions that Harry and #MeghanMarkle will travel to Australia, Fiji, Tonga and New Zealand in the fall.Meghans Mirror added,

More Meghans Mirror

A #RoyalTour! The palace has confirmed suspicions that Harry and #MeghanMarkle will travel to Australia, Fiji, Tonga and New Zealand in the fall.Meghans Mirror added,

Wow, that's a lot!

Did KP say how long the tour would be? This is such good news and a positive step forward for both of them. I will be very excited to see all that goes on down under and the food must be out of this world.....lobster anyone!

Nope...I just caught that earlier...the Tom Markle situation has over shadowed everything else.

LaRae

Kensington Palace have not mentioned anything about a tour. I think this info has come from Australian breakfast TV, and the source is Robert Jobson.

There's been speculation about H&M extending their time re Invictus Games in Aus into a tour but nothing official been said yet. No UK media has mentioned it.

But there is always tomorrow (by which I mean the 15th)

Yeah I wonder if he broke an embargo. This has been happening a bit these days.

Yeah I wonder if he broke an embargo. This has been happening a bit these days.

Or someone who knows because of the Australian part has leaked it to him.

Kensington Palace have not mentioned anything about a tour. I think this info has come from Australian breakfast TV, and the source is Robert Jobson.

There's been speculation about H&M extending their time re Invictus Games in Aus into a tour but nothing official been said yet. No UK media has mentioned it.

Thank you for the correct info Cepe, my mistake for I thought it came from KP. If there is a tour while there for the games then that makes it more exciting then ever for them and us here.....?

I thought the story was Eugenie couldn't have her wedding in September like she wanted because Harry & Meghan would be doing an overseas tour in September so her wedding is October 12? Invictus Games are October 20-27, so if they are doing a tour after the games that runs into early November

Robert Jobson is usually a good source and all this might be true. I just wanted to let you all know nothing official yet.

There's many rumours - yesterday I saw a couple mentioning Netherlands and Dublin (separate visits obv).

IT will be exciting seeing them out and about, esp on a tour.

I thought the story was Eugenie couldn't have her wedding in September like she wanted because Harry & Meghan would be doing an overseas tour in September so her wedding is October 12? Invictus Games are October 20-27, so if they are doing a tour after the games that runs into early November

There was never confirmation that Eugenie can't have her wedding in September because of Meghan and Harry. Jack's family said September was out, but the reason wasn't provided. The press speculated it could be Harry and Meghan, but the reality is HMQ is at Balmoral until early October.

Yes, the Queen's holiday at Balmoral is inviolate! I think the family automatically crosses out August and September for weddings.

Take a look at what NBC and the Today Show have built on top of a hotel in Windsor in order to get good views of the carriage ride on the 19th!

Last edited by a moderator:
Photos from the wedding rehearsal -

Meghan Markle, Prince Harry look relaxed as they leave Windsor Castle | Daily Mail Online

Meghan has spoken, saying her father wil not be at the wedding.

Charles and Camilla have had tea with Meghan's mother, who has now also met William, Catherine and the children.

Ms Ragland is currently staying at Kensington Palace and is due to met the Queen with Harry and Meghan.

(Sorry if this has already been posted - couldn't see it anywhere.)

Is that a beagle I see in the Land Rover in this clip? It looks as if the little guy is the only passenger riding in the back.

http://video.dailymail.co.uk/previe...355582913/636x382_MP4_4357134163355582913.mp4

Definitely a beagle or beagle-adjacent dog. Whose car is that?

OMG is Guy going to be in the ceremony?

The clip was from the DM article Sun Lion posted, it was titled 'The Queen is seen driving to Windsor ahead of the royal wedding'.

I don't think it looks very much like Guy, does HM own beagles?

Is that a beagle I see in the Land Rover in this clip? It looks as if the little guy is the only passenger riding in the back.

http://video.dailymail.co.uk/previe...355582913/636x382_MP4_4357134163355582913.mp4

Yes it is :D The elusive Guy seems to be making an appearance. Havent seen him since his big move ?

Well I assume its Guy. Not sure any other dog (at least not a beagle, maybe a dorgi) would be getting such royal treatment.

OMG is Guy going to be in the ceremony?

The clip was from the DM article Sun Lion posted, it was titled 'The Queen is seen driving to Windsor ahead of the royal wedding'.

I don't think it looks very much like Guy, does HM own beagles?

No, the queen only has 2 dogs left, her dorgis. I don't believe any royal, except soon to be Meghan, owns a beagle.

But I doubt Guy is going to be in the wedding. Don't think it would be allowed. Might just be keeping mum company when she is in Windsor this weekend.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom