Prince Harry and Meghan Markle, General News 1: November 2017 - May 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Now, whether or not Kate, Mike, and Autumn were invited the year they were engaged we can’t actually say... we know none of them attended Christmas at Sandringham, but we don’t know that they didn’t have the option. T Cambridge, Tindalls, and Phillips don’t spend every Christmas at Sandringham, so it may just be that that year they chose not to. .

People who thinks Kate would be miffed should also keep in mind that William wasn't at Sandringham on Christmas 2010. If William's not there, I do think Kate would much prefer to spend Christmas with her own family.

Of course the paper is guessing about some of the details...where they will stay, what they will do after Christmas...does she really opposing hunting? I've never seen articles where she talks about it...possible I've just missed them.

LaRae

There are other things in play here. We don’t know the specifics of where she is with the immigration issue. That does limit travel at times. Then there is the fact that she has RPOs now. If she goes to US during Christmas, that means her security team will be spending Christmas in a different country than their families.

The RPO you have a point. But the visa is not an issue. A fiancé visa allows for multiple entries

The initial fiancee visa is valid for multiple entries up until the point of marriage. You must not leave the country after the wedding as the minute your marry your loved one in the UK, your fiancee visa technically becomes invalid for reentry. You must apply for the spousal visa (further leave to remain or FLRm) to extend your permission to stay in the UK. You will initially be granted a provisional or “conditional” visa with an option to apply for residency (indefinite leave to remain or ILR) in approximately five years.

Depending on how long it takes for the provisional spouse visa, they may have to pull a Will and Kate honeymoon wise. Take a local honeymoon right away and wait on a longer honeymoon some where tropical. Perhaps wait until after all the June events.

I am waiting for actual confirmation before I believe she was invited to Christmas. They have made it clear that Meghan will be going home over the next few months to see family and friends. So they have already made provisions for RPO and travel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since we no longer Hunt Foxes in this Country [IF she opposes the idea] she will be spared that... Altho' 'drag' hunting is still a very common activity [the scent of a fox is artificially laid and the hounds and followers use that for a day out.

We do shoot tho' , that [and deer stalking] are an integral part of the family, and class into which she will be marrying, so if she's opposed on ideological grounds it might be tricky...

Last edited:
If my memory serves me correctly, Princess Victoria didn’t approve of shooting or hunting later in life when she became quite religious. She attended house parties but she didn’t go out on any drives, preferring to play cards or paint until the other guests returned. So Meghan could easily do the same. I doubt she’d be forced to join in if she really didn’t approve.

I don't think she's too particularly against hunting. It's not her personal thing, obviously, but I don't think she's ever had any strong opinions about it. Besides, this is something Harry enjoys. I'm sure she's been aware of it for awhile. I don't think we'll be seeing her hunting, but I doubt it's a big issue.

I bet it was the corgis' reaction to Meghan that pushed the Queen over the acceptance mark and pushed her to invite Meghan to Sandringham.

Its possible too that Meghan may be going to the Sandringhan *estate* for the holidays will not be included in the family only events such as Christmas Eve dinner and the walk to church Christmas morning.

We'll see how things develop.

Honestly if she was invited to the estate, but not allowed to be part of the actual events, I don't see her going. Sitting alone at what Amner I assume, while everyone is celebrating at the main estate? If that was the option, I think she would likely be flying home to see mom and dad.

IMO if she is going she is being invited to the main event. If not, she will likely be home for the holiday and then join the family either at Sandringham, or possibly a visit to Charles and Camilla in Scotland, after the actual holiday.

It will also be her last Christmas before she is married. And those the Cambridges have spent Christmas with the Middletons, it will be harder for Harry and Meghan to be with her family at Christmas in years to come.

She will of course meet the extended family at the London Christmas lunch the queen hosts. Sounds like she has met a number of them anyways.

Last edited:
The RPO you have a point. But the visa is not an issue. A fiancé visa allows for multiple entries

Her visa may allow for multiple entries, but as she’s going the citizen route she is limited in how many days outside of the UK she can be. It’s not a small number (270 days in 3 years), but she still has to be aware of it.

As for Sandringham, I think Meghan is resourceful and self-reliant. (Hey, I could see her even slipping over to Paris for a very cool mini-break vacay with all the adult bridesmaids ;)). My hunch is she will be where it makes the most sense, and probably the most relaxed for her. As someone mentioned, being with family is not an absolute necessity, as we saw with Thanksgiving.

Regarding the holidays, though, now that she is engaged I think 'optics' (as so many here used that word) is interesting. Does one have to be with family at the holidays in Britain? Is it a must do kind of thing, because I wouldn't say it is that in the U.S. (understanding that the U.S. is not one cultural tradition, so much varies). Anyway, I could see her having a pretty laid back Christmas holiday. Plenty of time to get to know the RF at future Christmases. Just a thought. Though I could also see her invited to Sandringham precisely because she does not have family in the UK. I guess we'll see. :flowers:

I don't think Guy is currently residing at Nott Cott. I get the impression that he's acclimating with friends, hopefully who have other pets. Guy is so used to being around other dogs. This is going to be a very busy time for M&H, and they will be traveling a lot. It wouldn't likely be beneficial or kind to Guy to leave him cooped up at Nott Cott being looked after by staff, when M&H are away.

Her visa may allow for multiple entries, but as she’s going the citizen route she is limited in how many days outside of the UK she can be. It’s not a small number (270 days in 3 years), but she still has to be aware of it.

Right, especially given the fact that she'll be traveling abroad in the future for engagements.

Since we no longer Hunt Foxes in this Country [IF she opposes the idea] she will be spared that... Altho' 'drag' hunting is still a very common activity [the scent of a fox is artificially laid and the hounds and followers use that for a day out.

We do shoot tho' , that [and deer stalking] are an integral part of the family, and class into which she will be marrying, so if she's opposed on ideological grounds it might be tricky...

Sorry when I say hunting I mean shooting anything not fox hunting specifically. In the U.S. hunting covers everything as a generic term.

LaRae

If my memory serves me correctly, Princess Victoria didn’t approve of shooting or hunting later in life when she became quite religious. She attended house parties but she didn’t go out on any drives, preferring to play cards or paint until the other guests returned. So Meghan could easily do the same. I doubt she’d be forced to join in if she really didn’t approve.

IIRC Diana was against fox hunting before they banned it (except in N.I. it is still legal). I don't think it was against all hunting though.

I don't think any of the wives/husbands of the royals would be required to hunt.

LaRae

Meghan Markle: Family and Background

I think most families in the UK tend to alternate between their parents and in laws. But Christmas in the UK is a longer holiday than it is in the US too and some families will spend the day itself with one side and Boxing Day with the other. Or even Christmas Eve. There are lots of opportunities for families to get together so I’m sure Meghan will be able to spend some time with her future in laws.

It will also be her last Christmas before she is married. And those the Cambridges have spent Christmas with the Middletons, it will be harder for Harry and Meghan to be with her family at Christmas in years to come.

Not that much harder. Once they have bigger accommodations, her family could easily stay with them and they could opt out of Sandringham and host her family at their own home. I anticipate her mom will be spending some time in London from now on when she can anyways.

IIRC Diana was against fox hunting before they banned it (except in N.I. it is still legal). I don't think it was against all hunting though.

I don't think any of the wives/husbands of the royals would be required to hunt.

LaRae

Fox hunting is still legal in the UK, it’s only hunting with hounds which is prohibited under the 2004 Hunting Act. Even then, it’s common for the law to be broken without much follow up from the police. It’s still legal to drag hunt or to use hounds to locate a fox but the hounds must not be used to actually kill the fox as in traditional hunting. Which as you rightly say is still legal in Northern Ireland.

Yes sorry should of clarified about 'using live fox' is the part that was banned.

LaRae

270 days is 90 days a year, that is no short amount. But that doesn't apply to Meghan. She is there on a fiancé visa and she answers to its rules, which has no regulations about leaving and coming over the six months.

Becoming a UK citizen is different when you are married to a UK citizen. Once they are married she applies for a spousal visa which. It is after applying for this visa, that the 270 days starts to apply to her.

There is also a chance, that when she travels with Harry on any official tours, those days will not count. There are stipulations that allow if your spouse works for the government or an association linked to it, which the royal family arguably is.

Unless your spouse or civil partner works abroad either for the UK government or for an organisation closely linked to government, you must usually also have:

It was made clear during the engagement announcement that she would be traveling home over the next months. So obviously they have considered all of this.

Even then, it’s common for the law to be broken without much follow up from the police.

I've attended meets where exactly this has happened, [to the universal joy of the particpants]. However I very much doubt ANYTHING which might be 'borderline' illegal would be permitted at any such occasion attended by the BRF or their close associates. Can you IMAGINE the fuss that would cause, if it were made Public. The 'sabs' and Republicans would LOVE it..

I've attended meets where exactly this has happened, [to the universal joy of the particpants]. However I very much doubt ANYTHING which might be 'borderline' illegal would be permitted at any such occasion attended by the BRF or their close associates. Can you IMAGINE the fuss that would cause, if it were made Public. The 'sabs' and Republicans would LOVE it..

I believe members of the BRF no longer take part in any fox hunting for this reason.

OTOH, I don't think Guy is currently residing at Nott Cott. I get the impression that he's acclimating with friends, hopefully who have other pets. Guy is so used to being around other dogs. This is going to be a very busy time for M&H, and they will be traveling a lot. It wouldn't likely be beneficial or kind to Guy to leave him cooped up at Nott Cott being looked after by staff, when M&H are away.

Guy is with the couple. Meghan said he's been in UK for awhile and is adjusting fine in the interview. Meghan has had one day of royal engagements. I highly doubt she's has to be away a lot to do what she needs to do. It's likely a lot of things are being done with her at home, especially for the wedding. If she has to go into the office to meet with Harry's advisors on stuff, they are just a stone's throw away in KP. I'm sure they can have someone look in on him if he needs to be walked during the day while they are gone. Harry doesn't have that many things on his calendar right now. Everything is just a day trip. I think some people are thinking way too much into this. Believe it or not, you can leave a dog at home during the day, most people do it when they have to work. They just mostly sleep. Guy isn't a puppy where he needs to burn off puppy energy and be around people a lot more. Have other considered it might be more traumatizing for him to be away from the only two people he's familiar with in an entirely new environment without Bogart?

People who thinks Kate would be miffed should also keep in mind that William wasn't at Sandringham on Christmas 2010. If William's not there, I do think Kate would much prefer to spend Christmas with her own family.

Yes, it has definitely been a departure from antiquated royal tradition for William and Kate to spend so much time with her parents, and to include them as well in closely nurturing Prince George and Princess Charlotte. That's a good thing. We are sure to see more departure from old royal customs in the coming years. However, I'm not convinced that Meghan will appear at Sandringham and be seen this year with the rest of the royals for the annual church photo-op. We must wait to hear official word from the palace.

As far as Meghan's Mom, for all we know, Meghan may wish to spend Christmas with her Mom and other family and friends in L.A. in an undisclosed location, not at her mother's house. It could also be possible for Doria to visit with Meghan in the U.K. for Christmas. Meghan doesn't have to be at Sandringham this year. She and her mother could stay with friends of Harry's nearby if that's what is decided. Certainly in-law parents have not been invited to Sandringham for the holidays, that I'm aware of anyway.

ETA:
In the general news thread, an article by Roya Nikkah in the Sunday Times is said to confirm that Meghan will spend Christmas with the royals and stay at W&K's Anmer Hall. In that case, Meghan's Mom, Doria, could possibly join her.

Last edited:

Ok I know about yobs..what are sabs?

Do you follow other equestrian discipline? I follow a few Brits on FB (of course Valegro and Carl/Charlotte) etc.

LaRae

I think horseback riding is a wonderful pursuit, but foxhunting is cruel for the foxes. There has been historic and scientific research done supporting the likelihood of foxhunting having contributed to the spread of rabies.

I love all the equestrian disciplines otherwise, including dressage (my favorite), show jumping and cross-country. Horse racing is beautiful to watch, but it's so dangerous and it has been very exploitative and inhumane in many instances, to horses. There are responsible breeders & owners in horseracing. And thank God for all the recent efforts to save and rehabilitate abandoned race horses for use as therapy animals, or just to protect and care for them instead of sending them to slaughter.

what are sabs?

Short for 'saboteurs'.. people [opposed to Hunting often in ANY form] who make it their business to disrupt the activity.

Personally I ride often but only rarely Hunt. My Sister is much keener on it than I am {LIVING for Horses}, she loves Dressage and 'eventing' too.

Short for 'saboteurs'.. people [opposed to Hunting often in ANY form] who make it their business to disrupt the activity.

Personally I ride often but only rarely Hunt. My Sister is much keener on it than I am {LIVING for Horses}, she loves Dressage and 'eventing' too.

Ah yes I should of known, thanks! I follow a hunting page on FB based in the U.K. and see articles about the protestors and all they get up to.

I'd get along with your sister quite well! I don't ride any longer but I have grandkids that have started....two of them are getting ponies for Christmas presents.

LaRae

I think horseback riding is a wonderful pursuit, but foxhunting is cruel for the foxes. There has been historic and scientific research done supporting the likelihood of foxhunting having contributed to the spread of rabies.

I love all the equestrian disciplines otherwise, including dressage (my favorite), show jumping and cross-country. Horse racing is beautiful to watch, but it's so dangerous and it has been very exploitative and inhumane in many instances, to horses. There are responsible breeders & owners in horseracing. And thank God for all the recent efforts to save and rehabilitate abandoned race horses for use as therapy animals, or just to protect and care for them instead of sending them to slaughter.

By chance do you follow Denny Emerson on FB?

LaRae

two of them are getting ponies for Christmas presents.

NEVER too early to start.. My sister says the day she received her first Pony was the happiest of her life -Wedding/Babies being as nothing by comparison...

NEVER too early to start.. My sister says the day she received her first Pony was the happiest of her life -Wedding/Babies being as nothing by comparison...

Yes! One of them is 3 and her sister (who has been riding 2 years at lessons) is 8. Stopping lessons now that she has the basic foundation and just keeping something at home for her to ride and figure things out. When she's older she can take lessons again if she wants. I have enough experience to instruct if needed in the meantime.

LaRae

Let's move back on topic please. If members wish to conduct a private conversation they may do so by private message. Further off-topic posts will be deleted without notice. Thank you.

Last edited:
Not that much harder. Once they have bigger accommodations, her family could easily stay with them and they could opt out of Sandringham and host her family at their own home. I anticipate her mom will be spending some time in London from now on when she can anyways.

It seems for now, from the engagement announcement, they will remain in the cottage. The two bedroom cottage doesn't make it that comfortable for long time visits from her mother. Until they either have a bigger home in London, or a country home, or both, practicality sets in.

Besides its not just her mother. She has a father as well who she is close to. She also has friends and extended family she is known to celebrate with. Since her parents are divorced, a 2 bedroom cottage wont allow for them to both visit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom