Prince Harry and Meghan Markle, General News 1: November 2017 - May 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I found it interesting that Meghan pronounced 'aunts' (as in Harry's aunts) in the English way, rather that the American pronunciation 'ants'.

Regarding Bogart, I'm sure Meghan made the best possible decision; she seems a very loving and kind person. FUrbabies are always difficult; i myself have had to take my feline friend many times to the vet in the last couple of months, and he HATES to go; he howls and cries and is enormously distressed, but it's the best thing for him, and because of his 'mean mummy' he is now still alive (and happy) to tell the tale.

Last edited:
I found it interesting that Meghan pronounced 'aunts' (as in Harry's aunts) in the English way, rather that the American pronunciation 'ants'.
:previous: only some Americans prounce it the way you think. It is very regional.

Last edited by a moderator:

We say it both ways, or at least I've heard both quite frequently.

only some Americans prounce it the way you think. It is very regional.

When saying the word "aunts" I know lots of people who say "onts" instead of "ants." It's pretty common in my part of the States.

When saying the word "aunts" I know lots of people who say "onts" instead of "ants." It's pretty common in my part of the States.

One side of my family (New England/New York) say "ont" the other side (eastern Midwest) say "ant."

One side of my family (New England/New York) say "ont" the other side (eastern Midwest) say "ant."

The traditional New England pronunciation is the closest in the US to British English phonology, but some of the younger generation seems to be losing it.

That isn't the American pronunciation. It's one of the ways it's pronounced here. In my area of New England, we all say aunt, not 'ant'.

?

I'm from the south but have spent most of my life now in the midwest...everyone (I know in the south and midwest) says Aunt as 'ant'

LaRae

That isn't the American pronunciation. It's one of the ways it's pronounced here. In my area of New England, we all say aunt, not 'ant'.

?

I live in New England, too and I think most people pronounce "aunt" like the insect "ant"... I'll have to pay more attention to it, though...:flowers: I've lived several years in California and everybody there also pronounces it "ant", of that I'm sure.

Last edited:
I live in New England, too and I think most people pronounce "aunt" like the insect "ant"... I'll have to pay more attention to it, though...:flowers: I've lived several years in California and everybody there also pronounces it "ant", of that I'm sure.

In my experience, New Englanders are just about the only Americans who I've heard pronounce "aunt" in the way Meghan did ... but, as you point out, certainly not everyone in New England pronounces it that way (and those who do may be in the minority these days). The other times that I've heard Americans use any pronunciation other than "ant" is if it's a family thing (i.e. maybe the family originally came from New England), and I've also heard many African Americans use the "ont" (rather a than "ant") pronunciation, regardless of what region they're from.

:previous:
In my comment I never said Meghan had to tell of her every decision to the public, Bogart was with her on all social media, that was her choice to do that, and there are lots of people that relate to furbabies like you do as I do, so when something happens to one furbaby then those that have seen that on social media would take notice and wonder what was up.....if Bogart and his pictures were never on any social media of Meghan's then nothing would need to be said.?

She already responded to a question about her dogs, and it was clarified by KP, when asked more. Even after posting pictures of her dogs on instagram doesn't mean she owes any more explanation to WHY Bogart is not coming to UK with her. The post I replied to, says, that Meghan OWES an explanation to the public, and should've said it herself, not through KP.

Just because she's joining the BRF, doesn't mean, that she has to go into detail about her dogs, and their health. Both dogs ate well taken care of, in loving families, that should be enough.

Just to clarify things, M. Payton was responding to me. She knows how I feel about furbabies and the two of us, as sisters, are very much in sync with each other in that regard. :D

:previous:
In my comment I never said Meghan had to tell of her every decision to the public, Bogart was with her on all social media, that was her choice to do that, and there are lots of people that relate to furbabies like you do as I do, so when something happens to one furbaby then those that have seen that on social media would take notice and wonder what was up.....if Bogart and his pictures were never on any social media of Meghan's then nothing would need to be said.?
Are we seriously saying she's to explain things she posted on IG well before she decided to join the BRF? She also posted pictures of books that she read on social media, is it her responsibility to give a summary of the books? Where are we drawing the line here? All I'm saying is I don't think it's appropriate for public to push this issue further after clarification has been given by KP after an answer directly from Meghan. He's with people she trusts in a good home before she left. Isn't that what mattes? I'm sure it was a hard decision for her. Some kindness on a situation that I'm sure hold painful feelings for her shouldn't be so difficult. Even royal reporters are showing sympathy on this.

In my experience, New Englanders are just about the only Americans who I've heard pronounce "aunt" in the way Meghan did ... but, as you point out, certainly not everyone in New England pronounces it that way (and those who do may be in the minority these days). The other times that I've heard Americans use any pronunciation other than "ant" is if it's a family thing (i.e. maybe the family originally came from New England), and I've also heard many African Americans use the "ont" (rather a than "ant") pronunciation, regardless of what region they're from.

I’m Canadian from the east coast and many of us do not say “ant” but “awnt” , however most of us might occasionally slip in an “ant” especially if referring to “Aunt Mary” or “Aunt Betty”. Meghan has been working in Canada for several years.

All this talk about the pronunciation of "aunt" has got the theme for the Pink Panther running through my head and I'm singing along with it "dead ant, dead ant.. deadantdeadantdeadant". How do I stop it? :eek:

Maybe when Meghan was introduced by Harry to his Spencer aunts and perhaps to Anne or Sophie she liked the way Harry and other relatives of his pronounced the term and decided to adopt it? Otherwise I'd say that pronounciation might be heard among older Canadians and Meghan was struck by it.

Maybe when Meghan was introduced by Harry to his Spencer aunts and perhaps to Anne or Sophie she liked the way Harry and other relatives of his pronounced the term and decided to adopt it? Otherwise I'd say that pronounciation might be heard among older Canadians and Meghan was struck by it.

I really don't think it's that uncommon for her to pronounce it that way. While she was born in California, her father comes from Pennsylvania. It's not exactly the New England, but it is still northeast.

I would think leaving Bogart behind was likely one of the hardest choices she had to make. From her posts she clearly loves both those dogs a great deal. If she wasn't able to bring Bogart with her, there was some serious reason. Even young dogs can unfortunately suffer serious health issues. My friend just lost her five year old chiwawa to illness. Being a rescue dog, he may have had some issues she wasn't aware of. The stress of the move would not have been good. I am sure he is happy with who ever she left him with, possibly who takes care of him when she is away.

I actually worry more about Guy. Guy is in a new home and without his best friend with him any more. He is adjusting to many big changes. That can be stressful on a doggy. Especially if Meghan is away with Harry visiting areas. Guy no longer has his buddy, nor does he have his usual babysitter.

Its also very possible she picked it up in Canada where its not uncommon for French to be spoken. The French "tante" is pronounced much like "ahnt".

Either way, we know what she's saying.

Its also very possible she picked it up in Canada where its not uncommon for French to be spoken. The French "tante" is pronounced much like "ahnt".

Either way, we know what she's saying.

French is not that common except in Quebec. But I have heard 'ahnt' pronunciation in Canada plenty.

and everyone I know here in Connecticut says aunt, not ant. Homestly, are we going to argue about this?
As you all have been told, yes, some of us Americans have always said aunt, and the easiest explanation of Meghan using that pronunciation is because she always says it that way.

Not far fetched explanations of her picking it up based on French Canadiens or imitating Harry, or God knows what else...

Last edited:
Good gracious, These 2 have gotten engaged and one day later people are discussing ahnt or ant?!

I would think leaving Bogart behind was likely one of the hardest choices she had to make. From her posts she clearly loves both those dogs a great deal. If she wasn't able to bring Bogart with her, there was some serious reason. Even young dogs can unfortunately suffer serious health issues. My friend just lost her five year old chiwawa to illness. Being a rescue dog, he may have had some issues she wasn't aware of. The stress of the move would not have been good. I am sure he is happy with who ever she left him with, possibly who takes care of him when she is away.

I actually worry more about Guy. Guy is in a new home and without his best friend with him any more. He is adjusting to many big changes. That can be stressful on a doggy. Especially if Meghan is away with Harry visiting areas. Guy no longer has his buddy, nor does he have his usual babysitter.

I totally agree with you about Guy, when living else where at one time in the south, my friend had 2 dogs and when the older dog past away the younger pup suffered depression and refused to eat, she also past away with in a short amount of time. All animals suffer many of the same conditions that we humans do. Guy is in a new home, Bogart is not around, Meghan will be away more and he really will have a hard time I think adjusting to things. Age has nothing to do with it, our furbabies need the same routine as small children do so that they can adjust better to new things in the lives. Great insight Countessmeout...?

I don't know about away more. Yes Meghan will be visiting various parts of Britain on occasion, but she won't be doing it full time, just day visits mainly. When she was filming Suits she was away from home for many hours (those 4am starts) so no doubt Guy will be used to some separation. And the couple appear to have settled down at Nott Cott as homebodies a great deal of the time.

This doesn't discount at all the fact that these are huge changes and Guy may be missing Bogart terribly. However, Meghan loves him dearly and let's not forget Harry is very much a dog person too, so I believe Guy will be getting lots of affection and attention, and a new garden to explore!

I don't know about away more. Yes Meghan will be visiting various parts of Britain on occasion, but she won't be doing it full time, just day visits mainly. When she was filming Suits she was away from home for many hours (those 4am starts) so no doubt Guy will be used to some separation. And the couple appear to have settled down at Nott Cott as homebodies a great deal of the time.

This doesn't discount at all the fact that these are huge changes and Guy may be missing Bogart terribly. However, Meghan loves him dearly and let's not forget Harry is very much a dog person too, so I believe Guy will be getting lots of affection and attention, and a new garden to explore!

Maybe even Lupo will be around to help ease the loss of his play buddy. New home and new friends and a support system may be what Guy needs most right now.

I do agree with M. Payton that animals go through a lot of the things that we humans do. My dog growing up was very attached to my grandmother that lived with us at the time and they were constant companions. At 95 years old, she moved into a nursing home and died six months later. Although Grandma and Bingo were no longer together 24/7 as they once were, Bingo just instinctively knew Grandma had passed on and went into a corner and stayed there and refused to come out. He knew.

:previous: Dogs are a lot like humans, they have personalities. They don't just get along with everyone, human or dog. He may get on greatly with Lupo, or maybe he will have a playdate with Camilla's dogs. But Meghan definitely needs to keep an eye on him. Depression is a concern with dogs. Going to Nottingham may not be a full time job but it will be full days gone. It will be an adjustment to the puppy, being away from not only her, but his usual dog walker, and his companion dog. He isn't used to being alone in the home, being the only pet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom