The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Posts about Meghan attending Commonwealth Day, have been moved to the The Queen and Royal Family Commonwealth thread. Posts about William, Kate and Harry’s Foundation have been moved to that thread and posts regarding the wedding have been moved to the wedding thread.

Let’s please stay on topic.

Old 03-06-2018, 01:52 AM
Courtier

Thirty years old is a good life for a pony or a horse. RIP Cruachan III.

Old 03-06-2018, 12:19 PM
Royal Highness

Not sure if this is the proper thread but Harry and Meghan were polled as the royals the public can most relate to. Here is the poll.

https://www.thecrownchronicles.co.uk...-royal-family/

I can't say I am all that surprised about Harry but I was about Meghan. Nice to know despite the press and such wanting to paint a view of her not being liked due to her background and viewes that it would seem that is not the case. For now anyways.
Old 03-06-2018, 12:53 PM
Courtier

Those are interesting numbers. I'm sure the press will bury this since it does not fit their Meghan narrative. Not sure about the polling or the source but it seems they do not get their information from the tabloids when it comes to Harry and Meghan.
Old 03-06-2018, 12:57 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
Not sure if this is the proper thread but Harry and Meghan were polled as the royals the public can most relate to. Here is the poll.

I can't say I am all that surprised about Harry but I was about Meghan. Nice to know despite the press and such wanting to paint a view of her not being liked due to her background and viewes that it would seem that is not the case. For now anyways.
Is this poll legitimate? Can we really accept the numbers at face value?
I am very skeptical of polls since Donald Trump was elected US president!
Old 03-06-2018, 01:06 PM
Royal Highness

No idea about the poll but I saw it tweeted by some creditable folks who don't seem to be questioning it. Just more surprised by the results. And when asked for more details learned it was conducted very recently.
Old 03-06-2018, 01:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

2311 WHOLE people.. 'online' or 'in person', [out of 60 million, odd] ?

Gratifying tho' those 'results' may be, the lack of detail on how, or on whom this poll was conducted, and the miniscule size of the sample, leaves this 'poll' without credibility i'm afraid !
Old 03-06-2018, 03:05 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post

Yes, it seems to me that in general, most people around the world are realistic about our commonalities as humans. I also feel that most people are either neutral or bear goodwill toward two young people in love. Then there are those who tend toward jealousy and hatefulness, then there are a small smattering of racist thinkers, and then there are those who are very supportive of Harry and Meghan, including fans of Meghan from her Suits days, and then those who love her fashion sense, and those who are overjoyed to see a woman of color entering the monarchy for many different reasons.

There are all variety of opinions. At bottom, once again, Meghan and Harry are just two young people in love who are getting married. But the royal wedding aspects adds the OTT interest, romance, drama and scale of attention.

It makes sense to me that Harry and Meghan are seen as the most 'relatable' members of the royal family currently. That view has resonance. Even Harry said during their engagement interview: "We both know that we make a fantastic pair." I think Harry means that in terms of the way they both genuinely care about helping others in need, and that together through combining their strengths, they can do a great deal of good in the world.

In any case, it's a good thing that Harry & Meghan are seen to be so relatable. And it's interesting too that the public notices that when normal persons inherit the throne, they automatically become less relatable. So it seems that too is what the public love about H&M -- the fact that they can continue being relatable and down-to-earth more-so than William and Catherine can. In many ways, W&C's personalities seem to suit the roles they will inherit, although I also suspect W&C are much more fun, down-to-earth and rambunctious in private than they allow themselves to show in public.

Still, I also get the sense that Harry & Meghan have helped W&C to feel a bit more at ease and relaxed. As well, H&M can serve as foils as well as be very supportive both publicly and privately to W&C.
Old 03-06-2018, 04:17 PM
Courtier

I think it fits that Harry and Meghan are relatable, they will have a formal position but not as fixed as William and Kate will have. I don't see any issue with the poll either way.
Old 03-06-2018, 05:45 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Posts discussing Harry's finances have been moved to the Royal Wealth and Finances thread.
Old 03-06-2018, 06:38 PM
Imperial Majesty

Yes, let Meghan carve out her own role and use her own voice!
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-new...mpression=true

A.W. TOZER
Old 03-06-2018, 06:46 PM
Imperial Majesty

So long as she toes the line set by the government - unless she wants to cause a constitutional crisis in her adoptive country. She has to learn to toe the line or she will end the monarchy - she loses her voice on her wedding day. The BRF have the least amount of freedom of speech in Britain and she will have to learn that very fast or cause massive issues for the family.

How will she cope when she has to visit a country or host a foreign politician whose views she opposes - no choice - just as the Queen has no choice. She is marrying into an institution where she will lose her freedom in many, many ways - and the payoff is wealth and deference.
Old 03-06-2018, 06:51 PM
Courtier

Yes, Iluvbertie, you are correct.
Old 03-06-2018, 07:11 PM
Heir Presumptive

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle, General News Part 1: November 2017 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
So long as she toes the line set by the government - unless she wants to cause a constitutional crisis in her adoptive country. She has to learn to toe the line or she will end the monarchy - she loses her voice on her wedding day. The BRF have the least amount of freedom of speech in Britain and she will have to learn that very fast or cause massive issues for the family.

How will she cope when she has to visit a country or host a foreign politician whose views she opposes - no choice - just as the Queen has no choice. She is marrying into an institution where she will lose her freedom in many, many ways - and the payoff is wealth and deference.

Exactly but a lot of people don’t understand that.
Old 03-06-2018, 07:24 PM
Imperial Majesty

I did notice during one of her old interviews with Larry King, when he raised the issue of women's rights in places like Saudi Arabia she was very careful about how she responded...so I am sure she knows how to be tactful ...I will be rather surprised to see her speak out of turn in a serious way.

LaRae
Old 03-06-2018, 07:48 PM
Courtier

Just a reminder she interned at the UN, gave a speech for UN women, has a degree in International Studies and has already met with leaders from around the world. While she has spoke freely about women's rights so has Camilla, and Camilla did fine when she visited UAE. She will be fine.
Old 03-06-2018, 07:54 PM
Courtier

Quote:

Interesting post. I'm going to carry it to Meghan's future duties and responsibilities thread.
Old 03-06-2018, 08:31 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:

Meghan has Harry and the Palace officials to give her the lowdown on far she can go on issues, Iluvbertie. She knows these things. We don’t have to worry about her going into politics. Everything is fine.

It’s just people are overreacting over the American born, actress and former UN humanitarian, using her voice in her upcoming royal role. No need to be afraid. Meghan isn’t a threat to the monarchy.

A.W. TOZER
Old 03-06-2018, 08:55 PM
Royal Highness

Meghan Markle is not going to single handily end the monarchy. You giving her a lot of power.
Old 03-06-2018, 09:16 PM
Courtier

So unfortunately, we are currently unable to discuss anything in 'Meghan's future duties and responsibilities' thread as the thread is closed for review. That whole issue appears to be a hot topic these days ever since the RFF discussion by the Fab Four. Go figure. Such unnecessary drama.

In any case, I agree with Dman's posted observations. I'm not sure why you are so insistent that Meghan must of necessity 'lose her voice on her wedding day' @Iluvbertie. In fact, Meghan is going to be speaking up on her wedding day (reportedly) to give a tribute to her husband (likely at the reception). Meghan is in no way going to be a meek wife. And I do not sense that Harry is interested in having a soft, pushover wallflower for a spouse. Harry seems overjoyed to be marrying a strong woman with intelligence, ideas, passion and courage.

As H&M told us during their engagement interview, they have discussed the burdens and downsides of what marrying into the British royal family can mean. So, I'm certain everyone directly involved knows a lot more about the situation than we ever will. On the outside looking in, it seems to me that we are overanalyzing and many of us are not giving Meghan much credit for just how well she has been navigating her new life, and the enviable skills she brings to the task. Meghan has clearly and admirably hit the ground running, with the full support of Prince Harry and his family.

I feel certain that Meghan made it clear to Harry and his family who she is, and that she's a team player, and that she's also a confident woman who does not plan to hide her light under a bushel. She surely has no plans to be inappropriately outspoken on controversial political topics either, especially not in meeting heads of state on tour. I think you forget @Iluvbertie that Meghan has a degree in International Relations, so she would obviously know something about diplomacy. But diplomacy does not extend to acting neutered, deaf, dumb and blind. Meghan is not stupid. She has been learning about royal protocol well before the engagement announcement. The ins and outs of that learning curve will take time because Meghan is an American adjusting to a new country and to a new family. But obviously she is embracing this journey and finding her sea legs. That does not mean anything she's said has been wrong or something for her to be endlessly criticized about. No matter what she says and does, there will be loud critics sounding off. It won't keep Meghan from being herself, because she knows who she is.

Meanwhile, it's rather unprecedented what Meghan has been able to take on prior to marrying. That's largely because she's had a successful career in a high profile industry, and because she is already grounded in the conviction of how important it is to give back to others. Marrying Harry provides her with a larger platform to do good work. I think that's one of the bigger reasons why both Meghan and Harry seem excited about their future together. Meghan mentioning "Me-Too" and "Times-Up" in the context of the host's query about women finding their voice, simply shows Meghan's advocacy for women to believe in the power of the voices they already have and don't necessarily need to find, as our culture tends to frame it.

In many ways, Meghan has shown a willingness to make sacrifices and to give up aspects of her former life, so it's clear that Meghan and the royals are fairly on the same page going forward. The tabloid media is interested in stirring things up but the royals are not going to be listening to or playing into that noise. Old-fashioned royalists who are intent upon Meghan adhering to old-fashioned notions of how they think a royal wife is supposed to behave, will be disappointed. Just because Kate speaks softly in public and is reticent, and seemingly cautious and conservative does not mean she isn't carrying a big stick behind the scenes and holding her own with the full support of William. The same will be true of Meghan. These four young people are going to support each other like rowers in a boat navigating rough waters. And behind-the-scenes, they probably have a lot of fun together too.

The whole topic of empowering women is something very close to Meghan's heart and to how her character was formed. At an early age, Meghan learned that by fearlessly speaking up for change and for more awareness and sensitivity on gender issues, that she could make a difference in the world because adults listened to her and acted, because what she spoke about made sense. For Meghan that was a powerful and encouraging lesson.

Far from Meghan 'causing massive issues,' she's more likely seen as a confident young woman who will be an asset to the firm. Already, I believe Prince Harry's family love seeing how happy he is and how his relationship with Meghan has further grounded him. His former restlessness has been replaced by a more settled confidence, maturity and an ever stronger sense of purpose and focus.

Closed Thread