Prince Harry and Meghan Markle, General News 1: November 2017 - May 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Chiming in if that’s ok..people say I have an accent. I sound like my family. When relatives from UK come over, they say our family here sound American. Funny my adult kids sound American yet certain words I hear an accent. They certainly use phrases they’ve heard growing up.

Well, the important thing to remember is that Meghan has a typical, West Coast "flat" accent. There is no southern drawl to her accent, no Northeast accent, nor anything Midwestern to her spoken English. Just like the UK, there are many regional North American accents - and the broad regional accents can be broken down to even more geographic-specific areas. I spent my college years in Virginia and learned to tell the difference between my classmates from almost every state in the South. Meghan's accent is what is most common, in the media, for an American accent but that is more due to Hollywood being on the West Coast than her accent being the uniform American accent.

Chiming in if that’s ok..people say I have an accent. I sound like my family. When relatives from UK come over, they say our family here sound American. Funny my adult kids sound American yet certain words I hear an accent. They certainly use phrases they’ve heard growing up.

Everyone who speaks English has an accent.. there's no such thing as unaccented English. The only question is whether you live in a place where you use the dominant accent or whether you live in a place where you don't.

Like a good friend of mine, or Elizabeth McGovern (e.g., Cora Grantham), both of whom moved to the UK about 25 years ago, Meghan's accent will - over time - probably shift to something that North Americans will interpret as "almost British" and the British will interpret as "almost American".

I'm told by the friend in question that it's quite unconscious, and also that his friends, co-workers, and neighbours are very aware that he's not British, just the same way that when he comes "home", we're very aware that he's been living in the UK for over two decades.

Speaking about accents, my UK born grandmother has been in the US for 70 years and she still has her accent. Oddly enough people in the US, even British transplants, say she has a noticeable English accent while those living in the UK comment that she sounds Australian.

In any case, detecting accents seems to have as much to do with how someone actually talks and how others think. I've grown up with my aforementioned grandmother all my life, regarding her as a second mom, and I barely hear an accent. I know she has an accent, as everyone else hears it, but to me she just sounds like my grandmother.

Of course hel everyone who speaks English has an accent. Let me clarify...born in Scotland came in US a little girl. Lived in a town populated by Scots. Growing up I didn’t realize we had accents, everyone in school sounded the same. My cousins, who were born here, sound like they came from Glasgow. It wasn’t until jr high when we moved, did I actually realize people sounded different. My accent has probably changed through the years as have my cousins. There are occasions, we hear phrases of our native tongue in our kids because it’s what they picked up growing up.

I think every English speakin country has regional accents. Couple that with a general national accent and we all sound different. My broth used to slip into the ,dialect' being spoken without even noticing. But he has fantastic ear for languages.

I remember when CP Mary went home to Australia that they had her on about speaking English with a Danish accent. It seems our environment affects the way we speak far more than we think.

:previous:
In my comment I never said Meghan had to tell of her every decision to the public, Bogart was with her on all social media, that was her choice to do that, and there are lots of people that relate to furbabies like you do as I do, so when something happens to one furbaby then those that have seen that on social media would take notice and wonder what was up.....if Bogart and his pictures were never on any social media of Meghan's then nothing would need to be said.?

Exactly -- it was her choice, just as it's her choice whether to explain more about Bogart or not. It was always her dog, her life, her choice. She owes no one an explanation. Her sharing conferred no rights to any further information.

When I lived in the UK for a year I ended up picking up an accent. It wasn’t intentional, I am just the kind of person who picks up accents. It’s axtually considered a good thing in international work because it helps folks blend in better. When I speak French for long periods of time or Arabic or Spanish, it can sometimes take a bit for my natural American accent , which is southern in origin, to come back.

I work a lot internationally including a great deal in London back and forth and I still fall back into an English accent on occasions if I am in the UK for a posting longer than a week.

I would say that kind of accent merging is fairly common with expats.

Mary of Denmark often has a slightly Danish twinge to her English when she first starts speaking but loses that as her speeches go on. So it wouldn’t surprise me if Meghan picks up certain intonations or inflections that resemble an English accent.

Last edited:
This has become an interesting discussion....:lol:

As for accents, let's not forget Queen Máxima of the Netherlands... when she speaks in Dutch (and she speaks that fluently) you can still hear that it's not her mother tongue.

The accent might creep in there in the years to come. She will be our American princess no matter what though.

With her parents' presence and influence, I doubt it. I am sure they don't want all this to change who Meghan is at the core. She was born and raised in the US and this exciting union doesn't change that.

With her parents' presence and influence, I doubt it. I am sure they don't want all this to change who Meghan is at the core. She was born and raised in the US and this exciting union doesn't change that.

Her parents' presence will have less to do with it unless Doria just moves in with them full time. Even then, Doria might pick up an accent if she's around people who speaks with an English accent all the time. It's really the environment and who you mostly come in contact with. She wouldn't ever have a full accent, but it's just little bit here and there that will get picked up as she hears it more. I grew up in an area without a southern accent, and moved to a southern area as an adult. I do get a twang once in awhile now. I really don't think a slight accent comes to the core of who anyone is. :lol:

When we boil everything down to the basics, its not how she says something but what she says that counts.

Right now we're dealing with someone that is going to enter the BRF at a high level and the beauty of it all is that there is so much about Meghan that it will be hard for people not to find something or some way to identify with her. To Americans, she's one of them as she was born, bred and buttered in Los Angeles. To Canadians, she's also one of them as she adopted Toronto, Canada as her home and its where she really started to make inroads on not only her career but her humanitarian work. To the British, she will be a member of their royal family and working for and promoting charities and causes that affect them. It will be an ongoing process as British citizens get to know Meghan and adopt her into their hearts as Meghan adopts and adapts to her new home.

I don't see where she can go wrong. :D

When we boil everything down to the basics, its not how she says something but what she says that counts.

Right now we're dealing with someone that is going to enter the BRF at a high level and the beauty of it all is that there is so much about Meghan that it will be hard for people not to find something or some way to identify with her. To Americans, she's one of them as she was born, bred and buttered in Los Angeles. To Canadians, she's also one of them as she adopted Toronto, Canada as her home and its where she really started to make inroads on not only her career but her humanitarian work. To the British, she will be a member of their royal family and working for and promoting charities and causes that affect them. It will be an ongoing process as British citizens get to know Meghan and adopt her into their hearts as Meghan adopts and adapts to her new home.

I don't see where she can go wrong. :D

Beautifully said.

Folks, I’m not talking about Meghan losing a part of herself or making some drastic change from her roots. Her ascent very likely won’t change. Just saying...I wouldn’t be surprised if, years and years down the line, a little of The Queen’s English crept in.

Some people just have a tendency to pick up inflections from the accents around them without even realizing they're doing it, others don't. My mother grew up around midwesterners but then ended up living in the South. When her brothers would tease her about adopting a Southern accent, she swore up and down that her way of speaking never changed. I certainly never thought of her as sounding Southern, not compared to the people around us. But then someone unearthed an audio recording of her as a 20 year old, and her accent was totally different from her way of speaking as a 40- or 50-something. She had no idea that it had changed, because it was tiny bit by tiny bit.

We have no idea if Meghan is one who unconsciously picks up on accents or not. That's one thing we can looking forward to learning about her over time.

I have lived in many different countries, different areas and cities in the UK, and have picked up some words and accent from each place I've stayed at, and still hold my original accent too. It's perfectly normal, and doesn't change you as a person, who you are at core, at all.

Prince Harry and a group of friends killed 15 wild boar on a weekend hunting trip in Germany, while his animal-loving fiancé, Meghan Markle, was out of the country.

The fifth in line to the throne, who like the rest of his family is a keen shot and once ‘bagged’ a one-tonne water buffalo in Argentina, apparently used a powerful rifle leant to him by his brother, Prince William, for the private jolly, the Mail understands.

Harry was part of a ten-strong group that flew out of the UK on Friday in a private jet for two days of blood sports, landing in Berlin.

They drove to Gorlsdorf, in Brandenburg, North East Germany, where they joined a group of 60 fellow huntsmen for two days of shooting
Read more: Day Prince Harry and his pals shot dead 15 wild boars

I really don’t understand the drama with this hunting thing. Rebecca English started in on this on twitter using Meghan as an excuse to throw a tantrum. But it was really her personal feeling on hunting. She’s entitled to it, but why the big drama with it now? It’s crrtainly not the first time Harry has gone. And not the first time he’s gone since being with Meghan. And then the rest of the papers picked up the same narrative. While a lot of us love our pets, we aren’t against at least humane form of killing some animals if we eat meat. And Meghan does eat meat. Am I missing something here? Are wild boars endangered?

I really don’t understand the drama with this hunting thing. Rebecca English started in on this on twitter using Meghan as an excuse to throw a tantrum. But it was really her personal feeling on hunting. She’s entitled to it, but why the big drama with it now? It’s crrtainly not the first time Harry has gone. And not the first time he’s gone since being with Meghan. And then the rest of the papers picked up the same narrative. While a lot of us love our pets, we aren’t against at least humane form of killing some animals if we eat meat. And Meghan does eat meat. Am I missing something here? Are wild boars endangered?

I come from a family of hunters. I don't know what the problem is as long as they are not endangered. Meghan eats vegan food for health reasons. She is not a member of PETA. I hate fake news.

Meghan has said she eats vegan during the week and meat on the weekend and specifically mentioned having to look a certain way for her job on Suits.

For heavens sake during the engagement interview she said they were making roast chicken when he proposed!

The media is trying to make it out like Meghan is some sort of animal rights campaigner and she's being betrayed while Harry sneaks off to mindlessly shoot helpless bunnies.

LaRae

Time to move on.....

Well, Meghan did share quite a bit with us about Bogart and Guy on her Instagram. Of course that was before she had any inkling that she'd be joining the discreetly private fishbowl life of the British royal family.

Anyone who loves dogs and knows dogs will have some deep feelings for them in any scenario. I totally agree though that Meghan knows what's she's doing, and I certainly don't question her judgment regarding her own pets. Whatever she had to consider regarding Bogart, I'm sure it was difficult for her. But perhaps less so knowing that she was leaving him with trusted friends.

I certainly do hope that Guy is with Harry and Meghan at KP, and maybe we will find out soon enough with an engagement photo that includes him! I'm definitely hoping. I unashamedly have a love affair with both Meghan and her sweet pooches. I don't see how anyone could not after looking at those engaging Instagram pics of her dogs, and of her with her dogs ... simply adorable and so much fun. Like one of Meghan's Bogart & Guy doggie pic captions said: "We ball so hard..." :lol:

well this whole thing rather indicates that it is foolish to spread too much on social media, with the public. If she had not mentioned the dogs a lot on her FB or whatever, people woudlnt know about them or ask questions.

How foolish of Meghan not to know that she should have shared less on social media, lest she become engaged to a British prince, resulting in some questioning every aspect of her life and decisions she makes. :ermm::lol:

I'm sorry but I don't think this discussion/debate even registers at all with the majority and thank goodness for that.

well I seem to remember reading pages of people here criticising her for leaving one of the dogs..

I was referring to the vast majority of the public, most of whom aren't keeping track of every detail of royal life.

But its the people who follow royals closely wil be her biggest fans, or at least should be. I meant it as a general rule anyway.. if you let the public - or too many people - know about things, there are bound to be those who will crtiicise things...

Once upon a time, Meghan was single, carefree and willing and able to share whatever suited her in her life. She loved her doggies and would share their days with people that cared to read it. Then one day she met a Prince who changed everything. She fell in love.

The intensity of scrutiny of every detail of her life increased 1000% from what it had been and she soon discovered that the best way to preserve a modicum of privacy was to draw a line with her magic wand to separate her public life from her private life. This took time but she realized that the sooner she did this, the better. Her Prince Charming was already a master of line drawing and between the two of them, the walls of their castle was secured. Bit by bit, they allowed their adoring public to see what they allowed them to see and the public got used to it. Even the dastardly villain called Media couldn't penetrate those castle walls.

They then smiled at each other and declared that they would be living happily ever after.

The End

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom