The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2017, 12:03 PM
Majesty

I still remain surprised she is not spending Christmas with her mother. Expressing surprise is ok, its not a criticism.

And when she does visit, the issues about security will be the same.

And RPOs work over Christmas, even at Sandringham.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 12-03-2017, 12:08 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
I still remain surprised she is not spending Christmas with her mother. Expressing surprise is ok, its not a criticism.

Oh, I didnít see it as a criticism. I just think itís an interesting conversation to analyze the situation. I honestly donít think there is any legitimate criticism that can arise from this. It is, after all, with permission of the Queen.

Old 12-03-2017, 12:27 PM
Imperial Majesty

Folks, Meghan will be touring the UK and taking a little time to visit some family and friends. Itís something sheíll be doing little at a time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
I believe that part of his tweet is the information they got from the BP briefing. This got drudged up this morning due to the Sunday Times reporting Meghan will be at Sandringham for Christmas, which is a break from standard protocol.
One have to remember that the royal family donít have any written protocol in place. Itís all made up on the spot.

Just ask Sophie Wessex.

KP will update on the Christmas plans. Meghan will likely see the whole extended family anyway for the family Christmas lunch at Buckingham Palace.

A.W. TOZER
Old 12-03-2017, 12:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoasneeze View Post
Kate and Mike are adults, who maturely can understand, that Meghan just move to UK, quit a job she was at for 7 years, and really has no family in UK. I'd think Kate and Mike would be the first ones to welcome Meghan, and not think, that every situation is about them.
I agree and I'd add the others who married into the family. In recent years Autumn was the other royal fiance who was from outside the UK and could reasonably expect to join Peter at Sandringham Christmas gatherings once they were married. They were engaged in August 2007 and married in May 2008. I don't recall what their Christmas 2007 plans were when they were engaged.
Old 12-03-2017, 01:04 PM
Nobility

Quote:
There are other things in play here. We donít know the specifics of where she is with the immigration issue. That does limit travel at times. Then there is the fact that she has RPOs now. If she goes to US during Christmas, that means her security team will be spending Christmas in a different country than their families.

Meghan is NOT going to leave her mother alone to spend Christmas, Come now!! I don't care how you try to rationalize it all.

Quote:
its already been reported by media and KP that she will be spending time pre wedding in the US with friends and family. Christmas seems a logical extension of that statement.

RPOs work 24/7 365 days a year, home and abroad on shifts. It will happen after they are married, it can happen this yr.
Excellent! I like that she's going home for a few days, as she should. Good for her!

Where did you read this statement? I'd like to read it.
Old 12-03-2017, 01:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Observer7 View Post
Meghan is NOT going to leave her mother alone to spend Christmas, Come now!! I don't care how you try to rationalize it all.
She didnít spend thanksgiving with her mom this year. And honestly, adult children donít always come home for holidays. I have a friend who decided she wanted to go on vacation this year.

Quote:
Excellent! I like that she's going home for a few days, as she should. Good for her!

Where did you read this statement? I'd like to read it.
KP said sheíll do some traveling to see family and friends in the coming months. Nothing about the next couple months or Christmas.
Old 12-03-2017, 01:14 PM
Courtier

Quote:

Not really a surprise to me, as I always thought there was chance she would spend Christmas with Harry in the UK. They are newly engaged and likely think it's best for Meghan to become settled and comfortable in her new life and routine. I'm honestly confused as to why some think this is the holiday she just has to spend with her mom. They've had plenty of holidays together and once Meghan and Harry are settled, mom will be able to share more holidays with her daughter. Plus, it seems her and Harry will be spending time with her mom in the new year. This all makes sense to me.

Quote:
It's not as if her mom has no family and friends of her own. If these recent pics confirm one thing, it's that mom has plenty of family.
Old 12-03-2017, 01:15 PM
Heir Presumptive

Being reported now she will spend Christmas with the royal family. They will stay with William and Kate at Anmer. (I thought that would likely be the case)

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/m...ueen-35cpqmhbc
Old 12-03-2017, 01:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Camilla Tominey’s Sunday cover on the royal wedding.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/royal...-economy-boost
Old 12-03-2017, 02:07 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Sandringham isn’t as large as people tend to think, and is fairly full of guests for Christmas, as most of the Queen’s family is in attendance. The rule there is that Christmas is just for family, no boyfriends/girlfriends, no in-laws, no friends. In the past we haven’t even seen the fiancťs/fiancťes at Christmas.

Now, whether or not Kate, Mike, and Autumn were invited the year they were engaged we can’t actually say... we know none of them attended Christmas at Sandringham, but we don’t know that they didn’t have the option. T Cambridge, Tindalls, and Phillips don’t spend every Christmas at Sandringham, so it may just be that that year they chose not to. .
Old 12-03-2017, 02:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
Now, whether or not Kate, Mike, and Autumn were invited the year they were engaged we canít actually say... we know none of them attended Christmas at Sandringham, but we donít know that they didnít have the option. T Cambridge, Tindalls, and Phillips donít spend every Christmas at Sandringham, so it may just be that that year they chose not to. .
People who thinks Kate would be miffed should also keep in mind that William wasn't at Sandringham on Christmas 2010. If William's not there, I do think Kate would much prefer to spend Christmas with her own family.
Old 12-03-2017, 02:28 PM
Imperial Majesty

Of course the paper is guessing about some of the details...where they will stay, what they will do after Christmas...does she really opposing hunting? I've never seen articles where she talks about it...possible I've just missed them.

LaRae
Old 12-03-2017, 02:39 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
There are other things in play here. We don’t know the specifics of where she is with the immigration issue. That does limit travel at times. Then there is the fact that she has RPOs now. If she goes to US during Christmas, that means her security team will be spending Christmas in a different country than their families.
The RPO you have a point. But the visa is not an issue. A fiancť visa allows for multiple entries

Quote:
The initial fiancee visa is valid for multiple entries up until the point of marriage. You must not leave the country after the wedding as the minute your marry your loved one in the UK, your fiancee visa technically becomes invalid for reentry. You must apply for the spousal visa (further leave to remain or FLRm) to extend your permission to stay in the UK. You will initially be granted a provisional or “conditional” visa with an option to apply for residency (indefinite leave to remain or ILR) in approximately five years.
Depending on how long it takes for the provisional spouse visa, they may have to pull a Will and Kate honeymoon wise. Take a local honeymoon right away and wait on a longer honeymoon some where tropical. Perhaps wait until after all the June events.

I am waiting for actual confirmation before I believe she was invited to Christmas. They have made it clear that Meghan will be going home over the next few months to see family and friends. So they have already made provisions for RPO and travel.
Old 12-03-2017, 02:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Since we no longer Hunt Foxes in this Country [IF she opposes the idea] she will be spared that... Altho' 'drag' hunting is still a very common activity [the scent of a fox is artificially laid and the hounds and followers use that for a day out.

We do shoot tho' , that [and deer stalking] are an integral part of the family, and class into which she will be marrying, so if she's opposed on ideological grounds it might be tricky...
Old 12-03-2017, 02:50 PM
Courtier

If my memory serves me correctly, Princess Victoria didnít approve of shooting or hunting later in life when she became quite religious. She attended house parties but she didnít go out on any drives, preferring to play cards or paint until the other guests returned. So Meghan could easily do the same. I doubt sheíd be forced to join in if she really didnít approve.
Old 12-03-2017, 02:50 PM
Heir Apparent

I don't think she's too particularly against hunting. It's not her personal thing, obviously, but I don't think she's ever had any strong opinions about it. Besides, this is something Harry enjoys. I'm sure she's been aware of it for awhile. I don't think we'll be seeing her hunting, but I doubt it's a big issue.
Old 12-03-2017, 02:56 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I bet it was the corgis' reaction to Meghan that pushed the Queen over the acceptance mark and pushed her to invite Meghan to Sandringham.

Its possible too that Meghan may be going to the Sandringhan *estate* for the holidays will not be included in the family only events such as Christmas Eve dinner and the walk to church Christmas morning.

We'll see how things develop.
Honestly if she was invited to the estate, but not allowed to be part of the actual events, I don't see her going. Sitting alone at what Amner I assume, while everyone is celebrating at the main estate? If that was the option, I think she would likely be flying home to see mom and dad.

IMO if she is going she is being invited to the main event. If not, she will likely be home for the holiday and then join the family either at Sandringham, or possibly a visit to Charles and Camilla in Scotland, after the actual holiday.

It will also be her last Christmas before she is married. And those the Cambridges have spent Christmas with the Middletons, it will be harder for Harry and Meghan to be with her family at Christmas in years to come.

She will of course meet the extended family at the London Christmas lunch the queen hosts. Sounds like she has met a number of them anyways.
Old 12-03-2017, 02:56 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
The RPO you have a point. But the visa is not an issue. A fiancť visa allows for multiple entries

Her visa may allow for multiple entries, but as sheís going the citizen route she is limited in how many days outside of the UK she can be. Itís not a small number (270 days in 3 years), but she still has to be aware of it.
Old 12-03-2017, 02:57 PM
Heir Apparent

As for Sandringham, I think Meghan is resourceful and self-reliant. (Hey, I could see her even slipping over to Paris for a very cool mini-break vacay with all the adult bridesmaids ). My hunch is she will be where it makes the most sense, and probably the most relaxed for her. As someone mentioned, being with family is not an absolute necessity, as we saw with Thanksgiving.

Regarding the holidays, though, now that she is engaged I think 'optics' (as so many here used that word) is interesting. Does one have to be with family at the holidays in Britain? Is it a must do kind of thing, because I wouldn't say it is that in the U.S. (understanding that the U.S. is not one cultural tradition, so much varies). Anyway, I could see her having a pretty laid back Christmas holiday. Plenty of time to get to know the RF at future Christmases. Just a thought. Though I could also see her invited to Sandringham precisely because she does not have family in the UK. I guess we'll see.
Old 12-03-2017, 02:59 PM
Royal Highness

I don't think Guy is currently residing at Nott Cott. I get the impression that he's acclimating with friends, hopefully who have other pets. Guy is so used to being around other dogs. This is going to be a very busy time for M&H, and they will be traveling a lot. It wouldn't likely be beneficial or kind to Guy to leave him cooped up at Nott Cott being looked after by staff, when M&H are away.

Closed Thread