Prince Harry and Meghan Markle, Current Events 1: November 2017 - May 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I've seen of the recent engagement that Harry and Meghan went on, she had no problems with what to do with one of her hands. She was holding Harry's with it. I loved seeing how they constantly, without thought, gravitate to holding hands or Meghan taking Harry's arm or whatever. This is a couple that definitely show their love for each other constantly.

:previous: No you most certainly are not the only one. Clutches are problematic because, well, they're little and my handbag is known as a USK or, to the uninitiated, an Urban Survival Kit. Now tell me, how could one survive with only a clutch which would have to be put down and picked up all the time . . . or left behind!

I guess that's why HM, Anne, Camilla, Sophie, Mary, Maxima, Letizia, Mette-Marit, Rania and Victoria, et al all carry them when they are on the go. Of course, a ladylike clutch is probably mandatory for evening engagements. :sad:

:previous: No you most certainly are not the only one. Clutches are problematic because, well, they're little and my handbag is known as a USK or, to the uninitiated, an Urban Survival Kit. Now tell me, how could one survive with only a clutch which would have to be put down and picked up all the time . . . or left behind!

I guess that's why HM, Anne, Camilla, Sophie, Mary, Maxima, Letizia, Mette-Marit, Rania and Victoria, et al all carry them when they are on the go. Of course, a ladylike clutch is probably mandatory for evening engagements. :sad:

I love this name:ROFLMAO:

I understand you. I have some clutch and small bag in somewhere of my wardrobe that I almost never use as I struggle about what I should give up from my USK, and at the end I just change back to my usual large handbag and think why the heck I bought them :lol:

A woman never knows what she's going to need once she leaves the house. I found the perfect handbag for me. It looks like an ordinary black leather handbag but, if needed, actually could become a nice overnight bag. Lots of room for lots of stuff but for ordinary days, it looks no bigger than the average purse. One requirement for a bag for me though is that it has to have enough room for a book. Have book, will travel is my motto. :D

I know I’ll get shouted down for this but something about that engagement just didn’t sit right with me. Meghan didn’t seem to be in control of herself. The strange coy blush gesture looked odd and a little childish and at one point, it was as if Harry might as well not have been there. I like her and again, this is just my opinion which I don’t expect anyone else to agree with, but if excitement got the better of her yesterday then that’s something she needs to work on.

I know I’ll get shouted down for this but something about that engagement just didn’t sit right with me. Meghan didn’t seem to be in control of herself. The strange coy blush gesture looked odd and a little childish and at one point, it was as if Harry might as well not have been there. I like her and again, this is just my opinion which I don’t expect anyone else to agree with, but if excitement got the better of her yesterday then that’s something she needs to work on.

Did you expect a more restrained attitude from her?

Based on her recent appearances since the engagement was announced, yes. This time however she seemed different. To me it read as celebrity and not future member of the Royal Family. It’s easy to get caught up in the excitement and I’m sure the high energy of the crowd does have an impact but it seemed to change Meghan in a way I haven’t seen before. And to me personally, that just didn’t sit well.

it seemed to change Meghan

I'd agree.. the little wave was very 'childlike', and the 'hand to mouth' gesture equally so, BUT this is the Lady's third public appearance and second public engagement, so I think we shouldn't be too quick to make judgements.
Also the crowd noise [in a confined, built up area] must have been overwhelming, and if she was overwhelmed it WAS momentary, and she conducted the rest of the visit with CONSIDERABLE aplomb..

I agree, I think (and hope) this was a one off and she just got caught up in the moment. Which is easy to do when all this is so new and unfamiliar to her. I just wouldn’t like to see it become a regular thing.

I didn't really get that with any of the inside footage. She was very in control and calm. The only time she seemed nervous and kind of in awe was when she first arrived to the rock concert like screaming. I think it just took her breath away for a moment. Nottingham wasn't like that so she got a different taste of that life. But again once inside the station it was different and when they left and greeted the crowd again she was back to her usual.

I don't think it is anything that needs to be worked on. She is human and not used to that atmosphere. This is her second engagement in 6 weeks of being in this official royal role. I am cutting her some slack for having a brief "wow" moment.

I think as long as it remains a one off and doesn’t become a regular pattern? Then it’s understandable and not something to dwell on.

I think that moment was actually very relatable. The crowd was loud and screaming for her. Even Harry commented how loud they were. It must've been an extreme wow moment for her. I actually like to see royals not always in control, not always robot like, but act like normal, mere humans too. It was a moment, that lasted only 5 seconds too, and imho a sweet, and like I said, relatable moment.

I accept that some people liked it or found it relatable, I just disagree with that take. Personally I thought it looked a little...Princess Diaries. And that was disconcerting because I haven’t seen her behave that way before.

Um, are people actually critiquing the fact that Meghan was expressing her happiness at the gracious welcome she and Harry received from the crowds? That’s so non royal like.

Last edited:
I think as long as it remains a one off and doesn’t become a regular pattern? Then it’s understandable and not something to dwell on.

I get that. I was a little surprised by it myself. I was also surprised by everyone's reaction to it, including Harry. I think the whole thing was just surreal to them all. The fact asked her to wave because the sounds were so deafening. His words on that video was, "It is soo loud.. you should give a wave." Then it was back to business and the moment was over. The fact she was back to her usual self after that for the rest of the event didn't make it a cause for concern especially when insides reports were going on about her "taking charge" from Harry (as if that was a negative). So she either shy or she dominating. Wide range for her. I guess she gotta find that balance. I am sure she will.

Thank goodness I'm not in Meghan's shoes. The level of criticism, scrutiny and dissection of every move and gesture isn't worth it IMO.

It lasted 5 seconds though.. A small, human moment, which lasted 5 seconds, during an A* engagement, which was an all around success..

It wasn’t just the geisha moment. It was how she conducted herself generally yesterday. It just struck me as unusual and as I’ve said, I agree with others that this was possibly a one off because she got a little carried away in the moment.

What I would say is that critique is actually allowed when it comes to public figures. This collective pearl clutching at any suggestion that Meghan might not be 100% perfect is going to tire very quickly. And that’s from someone who likes her.

And when people critique Meghan, others are allowed to disagree and write that too. It's not 'pearl clutching' and these demeaning comments toward other forum members become old too.

Thank goodness I'm not in Meghan's shoes. The level of criticism, scrutiny and dissection of every move and gesture isn't worth it IMO.

I do think some are overly critical of Meghan. As pointed out in the same event we have people saying she was shy and other saying she was domineering. She can't win in most cases, but I do agree with Gaudete that the moment was noticeable. I didn't think it was a big deal but I get why it stood out as she is usually poised.

Huge crowds can overwhelm anyone. Even The Queen has teared up over the overwhelming feelings from crowds. Meghan just beamed of happiness yesterday. Although the beaming will cool down a bit over time...it warmed my heart to see everyone enjoy the royal couple and the couple enjoyed them.

This is the honeymoon faze for Harry and Meghan.

And when people critique Meghan, others are allowed to disagree and write that too. It's not 'pearl clutching' and these demeaning comments toward other forum members become old too.

People can absolutely disagree (that’s what a discussion forum is about) but what becomes a chore is this. Some posters respond and say “I disagree and here’s why”. Others say “I see your point but what about...” - these responses make for great conversation. But the inevitable eye rolls and snappy sarcastic bitebacks any time anyone dares to mention a negative? Yeah. That’s getting old.

I didn't really get that with any of the inside footage. She was very in control and calm. The only time she seemed nervous and kind of in awe was when she first arrived to the rock concert like screaming. I think it just took her breath away for a moment. Nottingham wasn't like that so she got a different taste of that life. But again once inside the station it was different and when they left and greeted the crowd again she was back to her usual.

I don't think it is anything that needs to be worked on. She is human and not used to that atmosphere. This is her second engagement in 6 weeks of being in this official royal role. I am cutting her some slack for having a brief "wow" moment.
I think it was more surprising yesterday than Nottingham because they expected a big crowd at Nottingham since a walkabout and specific street closures to accommodate were announced before hand. I believe we also had time announced. Yesterday was different. There wasn't a plan for a walkabout and they were in lockdown mode in terms of security. Time was not announced by the Palace and journalists are specific instructed not to release the time to public. The welcome they received was surprising. I certainly didn't expect it.

Last edited:
Meghan has the right balance in how carries herself and I certainly wouldn’t want to see her become robotic or detached from her audience as you do with some royals. To me she emits genuine warmth, is confident and displays an impressive understanding of the issues she deals with. Evidently, she makes sure she studies beforehand and goes prepared to any event/engagement. And showing an appreciation of her audience is nothing to be sneered at.

People can absolutely disagree (that’s what a discussion forum is about) but what becomes a chore is this. Some posters respond and say “I disagree and here’s why”. Others say “I see your point but what about...” - these responses make for great conversation. But the inevitable eye rolls and snappy sarcastic bitebacks any time anyone dares to mention a negative? Yeah. That’s getting old.

No need to derail the thread though by scolding other forum members on how to post, and demeaning their posts or them.

Back to Meghan and Harry, has there been any indication when their next engagement will happen? What do you all think will be their place of visit, and when?

To be fair, for you to dismiss the engagement as not sitting right because she supposedly wasn't in control of herself was quite unfair and an exaggeration. Exaggerations like that doesn't contribute to a productive conversation either. She has a few seconds of being moved by the reception she received. Hardly losing control of herself if you look at the entire engagement. I wouldn't call a momentarily reaction to being welcomed as loosing control either. I'm not sure how she acted like as if Harry wasn't there. He waved and told her to give a wave because the screaming was so loud and just went back to speaking to the person in front of him.

Imagine being a woman not only moving into this new role, but into a new country where people don't know you. Having strangers welcome you at this degree is moving, and quite frankly her momentary and instinctive reaction for a few seconds there truly shows her appreciation for the support of the people.

And like someone else have said already, even the Queen gets moved at times by the people's reaction when they see her. If HMQ can be moved after all those years, I can certainly understand why Meghan Markle would be at this point.

Last edited:
Meghan has the right balance in how carries herself and I certainly wouldn’t want to see her become robotic or detached from her audience as you do with some royals. To me she emits genuine warmth, is confident and displays an impressive understanding of the issues she deals with. Evidently, she makes sure she studies beforehand and goes prepared to any event/engagement. And showing an appreciation of her audience is nothing to be sneered at.

Yes, it shows she cares and I, for one, am glad.

I get that. I was a little surprised by it myself. I was also surprised by everyone's reaction to it, including Harry. I think the whole thing was just surreal to them all. The fact asked her to wave because the sounds were so deafening. His words on that video was, "It is soo loud.. you should give a wave." Then it was back to business and the moment was over. The fact she was back to her usual self after that for the rest of the event didn't make it a cause for concern especially when insides reports were going on about her "taking charge" from Harry (as if that was a negative). So she either shy or she dominating. Wide range for her. I guess she gotta find that balance. I am sure she will.

Before the wave, Meghan was concentrating on Harry's conversation and seemed very serious. Harry suggested she waved and she seemed happy and gracious to do so. Some say that was a Hollywood moment but I disagree. Hollywood would be if she waved to the crowd without paying attention to Harry and her hosts. He attention was fully on the conversation until Harry suggested she wave. I do think she is trying to learn and get things right.

I think it was more surprising yesterday than Nottingham because they expected a big crowd at Nottingham because a walkabout and specific street closures to accommodate were announced before hand. I believe we also had time announced. Yesterday was different. There wasn't a plan for a walkabout and they were in lockdown mode in terms of security. That was not announced by the Palace and journalists are specific instructed not to release the time to public. The welcome they received was surprising. I certainly didn't expect it.

They also did two walkabouts, outside and also inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom