Prince George of Cambridge, General News 1: December 2014-May 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would he be at the christening? Isn't it enough for W&K to take care of the child being christened without the focus being on George?

George will probably be with the family to celebrate the christening but I do not expect him to be in the chapel.

The chapel was very small.

Why would he be at the christening? Isn't it enough for W&K to take care of the child being christened without the focus being on George?

George will probably be with the family to celebrate the christening but I do not expect him to be in the chapel.

Here at least the christening is a family occasion for the whole family. Church service and all. I would maybe understand him not being there if it was televised as it is in Sweden. But to me it seems odd to exclude him on the grounds of them being royal when in "normal circumstances" he probably would be there.

What's the size of the chapel got to do with it ? ??

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

So it seems
Some people would like to see more of George ... Fair enough he is a sweetie
Some people suggested a photo shoot like European Royalty 3 generations and assorted cousins etc ... Alas the British Royal don't do that sort of thing because they are The British Royal Family and not European
And taking photos of children in The British Royal Family leaves them with a terrible mental scar from which they never recover.
And George can't go his siblings christening because the Chapel is too small
About sums up today

I think people are overreacting on George's possible appearances.

I think this started because someone said it would be nice to see George like he was in NZ and Australia.
I was very surprised how much he was on show then

He was seen on arrival in NZ (and going through Australia to reach NZ), at the 'play date', leaving NZ and again arriving in Australia, at the zoo and then on leaving Australia.

There was the unofficial photos taken at government house as well.

Hardly that much as they wouldn't be able to actually have him arrive with them and not be seen so he was paraded on two occasions.

We saw at least that amount of William when he did his tour down under at the same time - arrival in Alice Springs, leaving Aust and arriving in NZ, on the lawns in NZ and leaving NZ. There was another time when he was seen as well.

We did see a lot more of him in his first year or so as they released actual video footage from the post Christening celebrations with Diana on the coach and William sucking her finger and the extended family moving around, there was another photo shoot for Christmas, and a few more in the following year.

With George it is one or two staged photos and no actual interaction taking place as a result.

We have seen way more of Mia than George and he is the future King.

So it seems
Some people would like to see more of George ... Fair enough he is a sweetie
Some people suggested a photo shoot like European Royalty 3 generations and assorted cousins etc ... Alas the British Royal don't do that sort of thing because they are The British Royal Family and not European
And taking photos of children in The British Royal Family leaves them with a terrible mental scar from which they never recover.
And George can't go his siblings christening because the Chapel is too small
About sums up today

Adding:

Some people suggested a Blanket Jackson approach. :p

P.S., that was a joke, don't flip out.

I think it is perfectly reasonable for KP to regularly release pictures of George at this stage. In a year or two, he will start to appear on the balcony for the trooping. That can be the annual "live" event. There also be shots of him arriving for school in 2- 3 years from now. I just don't think there is any real value in providing any greater access to royal children at this stage.

IMO Children are NOT Public property...

i'd have no problem if they were not paraded for public and PRESS gratification until they are off to school...

An interesting aside, does anyone know who the world's first exploited royal child was? Princess Elizabeth of York, or "Princess Betty" as she was fondly dubbed by the press in the 1920's. She was a media darling extraordinaire. Recall that after WWI, the royals were forced to reshape their image and their roles. There was also the rather odd business about the Prince of Wales, who'd rather drink and smoke with vulgar American woman than get down to finding a suitable English aristocrat and having little heirs. Then there was the Wallis Simpson scandal. So with all of this, the Queen Mother saw her darling as a way to reshape the image of the monarchy. She sanctioned books, new articles, photos galore (the approved of every sugar-coated word, to be sure), and loads of memorabilia. But make no mistake, Princess Elizabeth was sold out much like the Dionne Quints or Shirley Temple. The Queen Mother loved the attention. No other royal child was sold out like this, but since the press was so fawning at the time, and it was all so carefully controlled, nobody saw the harm in it.

The Queen Mother herself laid the groundwork for the "exploitation" of royal children. To be fair, she could not have foreseen the world nearly 100 years later and her great-great grandchild being subject to things like Instagram and Twitter, and the not-so-fawning press.

Well you would have to say it worked really well. By the time her father became king everyone already loved this royal family I'm sure things would have been harder if they were the unknowns. The sense of knowing the family and most important the future Queen really helped Britain during the war years.

I'm not saying George should be treated the same I'm just saying it worked wonderfully for the Queen

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not saying George should be treated the same I'm just saying it worked wonderfully for the Queen

... In a very different generation with a very different media climate and entirely different sensibilities.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

... In a very different generation with a very different media climate and entirely different sensibilities.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Yes it is and as I said I'm not saying it should be that way for George but it worked really well for that royal family

GracieGiraffe

I'm in shock. "Princess Betty"? Never! ......ok, maybe in the US. You guys love the nicknames.

It did work wonderfully well for the Queen I think mainly because in that day and age and climate, they were treated as royalty and with the respect such a position entails. In today's media climate I think it would move towards pushing George into a celebrity status rather than as a future king of the UK.

There is also a difference in personality of the child. Reports are that George is very active. He would probably not take to being in the public much. If I remember correctly, William was a handful when he was little.

GracieGiraffe

I'm in shock. "Princess Betty"? Never! ......ok, maybe in the US. You guys love the nicknames.

I've read it in several places - but maybe it was the U.S. However, the Queen Mother was playing it up to the British media.

It has been well known for ages that William and Kate spend a lot of time with the Middleton's so it only makes sense that they, and thus George, see very little of Charles.

Spending time with Kate's parents doesn't mean that they don't spend time with Charles. When Mike Tindall told the story about Mia meeting George, it was at Highgrove. WK&G could easily go to Clarence House or Charles to KP without being photographed. How long was George going to BP for pool time before they were pictured because the paps where camped out at KP for George's birthday party? That probably wasn't the first trip to BP.

Charles is a busy royal man of older generation, and I think he will see George as often as he sees fit what might not be often. I don't see Charles as the 'doting granddad' rolling on the floor while playing with his grandson anyway. But there is nothing wrong with that.

Newspapers loving picking of Kate's mother dont they !

Charles is the grandpa and grandpa's don't usually have a very hands on relationship with their grandchildren
I'm sure Kate's dad isn't as involved as her mum is. If Diana was alive I'm sure she would see more of their grandchildren than Charles.
This can change as the children grow and become more interesting to grandpa's
George is Carole's first grandchild and we grandmothers go slightly crazy with our beautiful little grandchild so of course she wants to be with him lots. Nothing wrong with that

...I don't see Charles as the 'doting granddad' rolling on the floor while playing with his grandson anyway. But there is nothing wrong with that.

I thought the same about my father until I found him, one day, on the floor playing with his grandsons (my sons), laughing, singing and play-fighting. My mum assures me he didn't do that with his kids, and she was surprised when he did. My father is 70.

We will never know what Charles is like with George, or future grandkids. Grandparents are a lot more interactive with grandkids because they have the time, whereas when their own children were young, they were too busy.

So, how many of you have thought about the look on Prince Cheek's face when Daddy got back from work just now (or soon now). It made my day!

Having said this, I wondered how Daddy got out of Jinhong? Has anyone heard how he flew home? JHG (Jinhing Airport) seems to have only have Chinese Air Carriers. And it is not near major British Air Hubs. So I would imagine Daddy had special flight arrangements? If anyone knows, please share.

Edit - one reason I asked this is because commercial flights out of Yunnan are awful and would take 30-50 hours for Wills to get home.
I did re-check the press releases for the trip. Michael Head made clear he flew to Japan commercial ("scheduled flight") For China there is no mention of logistics - other than to say many of the press were traveling ahead to Yunnan. See: http://www.dukeandduchessofcambridge.org/news-and-diary/11529/our-view

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom