The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 10:36 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post
They were given a Land Rover?! The British Royals all drive something from Land Rover and I believe they have a contract with them, as they do with Jaguar (and used to with Audi), but they still had to pay something for their cars but to be GIVEN one is insane.
I don't remember the facts. As I remember they were given a car that drives well in terrain (I think it was a Land Rover) but since they can't take gifts like that + already has cars they donated it till some emergency thingamabob that needed terrain vehicels. I also seem to recall them getting a canoe or something... and they donated/lent that to a local rowing club. Now in AUS/NZ George got an Amphibious boat. Don't know what will happen to that.

They get some CRAZY things!

Also, please don't take my word for it. Since I can't remember when or where I read it or any facts :P

Old 01-16-2015, 10:52 AM
Heir Apparent

Are not all boats amphibious?

Old 01-16-2015, 11:03 AM
Heir Apparent

I really think it would be cool to take a Photo of Cheeks in that possum coat and send it as a gift to New Zealand (it was NZ - right? Sorry if I'm in error).
Old 01-16-2015, 11:24 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post

Nope since amphibious works on land and water, most boats are not going to work on land by themselves.

What is sad is that because of the gift selling scandal of a few years of ago, they have to catalogue every gift, report it and maintain it as part of the royal collection. So all those toys for George had to be recorded and most likely shipped back to the UK.

Perishable items are the one thing that can be used immediately but I don't think if you handed a royal some jelly that you made it would be eaten but destroyed because of security concerns. It's different if the food came from somebody like President Obama who gave some honey to W&K during the U.S. trip.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 01-16-2015, 11:35 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
One thing I would really like to see happen is that after seeing all the gifts that have been given to George (most ones he'll never use), I'd like to see William and Kate set up a Duke and Duchess of Cambridge Scholarship Fund where in lieu of presenting gifts, a donation is made to the fund.

The possibilities of who would be awarded the scholarship is unlimited.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 01-16-2015, 11:36 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
I really think it would be cool to take a Photo of Cheeks in that possum coat and send it as a gift to New Zealand (it was NZ - right? Sorry if I'm in error).
Yes, and that should drive him up from that lowly 49th place on the best dressed list!

Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-16-2015, 11:50 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
One thing I would really like to see happen is that after seeing all the gifts that have been given to George (most ones he'll never use), I'd like to see William and Kate set up a Duke and Duchess of Cambridge Scholarship Fund where in lieu of presenting gifts, a donation is made to the fund.

The possibilities of who would be awarded the scholarship is unlimited.

They actually asked not for presents to be sent to the palace but to donate to charity when George was born.

Old 01-16-2015, 12:00 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
I might have written the wrong name. I think they mean those that can go on both land and water. But again. Don't quote me on this stuff
Old 01-16-2015, 12:00 PM
Heir Apparent

People like to give gifts, they like it even more when the baby/toddler is a royal. Its not going to stop
Old 01-16-2015, 12:01 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
Nope since amphibious works on land and water, most boats are not going to work on land by themselves.

What is sad is that because of the gift selling scandal of a few years of ago, they have to catalogue every gift, report it and maintain it as part of the royal collection. So all those toys for George had to be recorded and most likely shipped back to the UK.

Perishable items are the one thing that can be used immediately but I don't think if you handed a royal some jelly that you made it would be eaten but destroyed because of security concerns. It's different if the food came from somebody like President Obama who gave some honey to W&K during the U.S. trip.

Aha, So I wasn't wrong then :P Nice to know :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
They actually asked not for presents to be sent to the palace but to donate to charity when George was born.

Yeah, they did that for their wedding too. Friends and family was "allowed" to buy gifts but the public and others were encouraged to donate money to charities instead.
Old 01-17-2015, 12:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Buy George! Kiwis splash out for prince - Life & Style - NZ Herald News
Quote:
The world's most famous royal family left New Zealand well clothed, well read and with a soft toy each to cuddle, records of the gift haul from their Kiwi tour reveal.

The glare of the world's press, and thousands of excited Kiwis, greeted the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, and their then-8-month-old son, Prince George, when the family arrived in Wellington last April.

It was the trio's first official tour as a family and Kiwis, from Prime Minister John Key to ordinary New Zealanders, lavished the family with presents. Prince George fared best.

The bonny boy, who is third in line to the throne, received 115 presents, including a tot-sized bike, almost 40 books, 30 games and toys and four soft toys. The booty was among 706 gifts he received from royal tours last year, seven times as many as his great-grandmother, the Queen.
Old 01-17-2015, 08:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

It is unfortunate that if website gifts go to the Royal Collection archive and are not kept, they could be destroyed (if not donated to charity).
Could not this decision be obliterated?
With so many poor people, even a small item is an ITEM to them.
Where is Christianity?
Old 01-17-2015, 09:24 PM
Super Moderator

I should imagine that only under very exceptional circumstances will gifts be destroyed, the likely reasons being due to damage or becoming unusable for some reason - a food gift may have inadvertently been stored incorrectly. Some items may simply not be wanted by the charity (a lot of things donated to charities are not used and end up being recycled).
Old 01-17-2015, 10:05 PM
Heir Apparent

I can see food gifts from the general public being destroyed because you can't guarantee that they are safe. It's a security risk that they aren't going to take.

Old 01-18-2015, 05:00 AM
Royal Highness

A very good listing of their guidelines

http://www.royal.gov.uk/LatestNewsan...ngtogifts.aspx
Old 01-18-2015, 07:14 AM
Serene Highness

My sister's friend saw Carole pushing George in his buggy in Pangbourne yesterday. It was just Carole and who she thinks was a detective and they were walking through the Main Street without people even recognizing them. She said George had on a tweed coat and a blue bobble hat and she seen them go into a health food shop. It's nice that he spends so much time with his Granny, I think Bucklebury is his second home, ha.
Old 01-18-2015, 07:17 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by angela View Post
My sister's friend saw Carole pushing George in his buggy in Pangbourne yesterday. It was just Carole and who she thinks was a detective and they were walking through the Main Street without people even recognizing them. She said George had on a tweed coat and a blue bobble hat and she seen them go into a health food shop. It's nice that he spends so much time with his Granny, I think Bucklebury is his second home, ha.
How nice :)
Old 01-18-2015, 08:44 AM
Heir Apparent

Another status on twitter said that Michael was seen in Pangbourne so I think it might be true that George was there...
Old 01-18-2015, 10:33 AM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by angela View Post
How lovely for your friend. How far away was she from Carole and George? (Just out of interest.) It's nice that they can live "normal" lives in Pangbourne and that they're not instantly recognised by everyone, which I was surprised about because I can imagine that everyone in the UK knows or at least has some idea of who George is. If I saw them in a casual situation like that I'd probably recognise George straight away but it might take me a bit longer to guess who Carole was. I don't think I would go up to them though since they were in a private situation.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 01-18-2015, 10:57 AM
Heir Apparent

The people who live there have always been protective of the Cambridges privacy when they are in Buckleberry. The same thing happened in Wales. Most of the time it gets reported on Twitter that there are royal sighting at stores or Starbucks etc are in London.

Closed Thread