The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 09:20 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
The children usually enjoy the balcony, looking at the crowds of people and the flypast. Suddenly, when it comes to George making an appearance, it could frighten him to death and possibly scar him for the rest of his life.
Oh, don't get me wrong, a little too much irony is obviously to blame. I am definitely in the vanguard of the "Hell No!" balcony brigade.

30 odd years ago, when William and Harry were lads, I think people were more respectful and, I don't know, maybe a little less looney?

Old 04-07-2015, 10:12 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Oh, don't get me wrong, a little too much irony is obviously to blame. I am definitely in the vanguard of the "Hell No!" balcony brigade.

30 odd years ago, when William and Harry were lads, I think people were more respectful and, I don't know, maybe a little less looney?
Yeah, but the balcony experience for children has never changed. The media can't do anything to the kids on that balcony. The kids are pretty much occupied by having fun watching the crowds and looking at the flypast.

I just think it's important for us to not overact to the idea of George being carried safely in his parents arms on the balcony of Buckingham Palace after the Trooping. All members of the royal family are fully protected while on the balcony. Absolutely no harm will come to George when he make his appearance. He'll most likely enjoy the whole thing for those few minutes.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 04-07-2015, 10:22 AM
Serene Highness

If you have seen home videos of POW and his siblings they played out side and romped and ran their fair share so it would not be unprecedented for George to do that.
Old 04-07-2015, 09:47 PM
Majesty

I think it depends on the personality of the child. George seems to have a lot of energy, or so we're told by his parents, so it may not be too easy to hold him for a long period of time. He may want to be put down, and allowed to explore, which would be a bad idea on a crowded balcony. Then there's the noise factor, and a possibility of a tantrum due to the child being simply overwhelmed by the noise, and the crowd. I think it's wiser to keep George away from the balcony appearance until he's around three,or four years old. By then, he would be able to understand what is expected in terms of behavior, along with what's going on around him. His experience with press is limited, and it may be a bit wiser to start him out with something that takes place in an environment that he's familiar with, such as his home, with his parents. Yes, Estelle is seen out and about more compared to George, but we have to remember that each Royal family does things differently, so this one example of different approaches. Nothing to fret over.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 04-07-2015, 10:13 PM
Administrator

Call me crazy but I am thinking that William and Catherine have a better idea than the rest of us on whether George is ready for the balcony.

I am also of the mindset that George has a lifetime to be in the public eye so he can be missed for the first two to five years of his life. I also seem to remember some who criticized Victoria and Daniel for the Estelle coverage. Some thought it was too much.

Which just goes to show, you can't please everyone that's why its best to defer to the parents.

Old 04-08-2015, 05:17 AM
Courtier

No parent will exactly know how a child will react to new situations until they have tried it. My girls are very easy, but there have been situations where they reacted very differently from what we expected. It's a waste of energy to imagine every good/bad thing that might happen. Relax, bring your child (in this case George) and within minutes you will see how he reacts and you can take it from there. Being frantic or nervous will only make the child so, when it might not have been so if not for the parents.
Old 04-08-2015, 06:24 AM
Majesty

You're right, kids are all different. I just remember the little flower girl with a thunderous frown and her hands over her ears. To be honest, the sound coming from the TV was so loud we turned it down.

My only thought is the response of the crowd to his appearance could be overwhelmingly tumultuous, and the sheer volume could scare the wits out of him.

I do agree that William and Catherine can make the best decisions for him. However, if that decision is to keep him out of the public eye as much as possible while he is young, perhaps following Victoria and Daniel's strategy of keeping up a steady stream of photos in between those rare royal moments we could see seems to work quite well.
Old 04-08-2015, 06:40 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
Call me crazy but I am thinking that William and Catherine have a better idea than the rest of us on whether George is ready for the balcony.

I am also of the mindset that George has a lifetime to be in the public eye so he can be missed for the first two to five years of his life. I also seem to remember some who criticized Victoria and Daniel for the Estelle coverage. Some thought it was too much.

Which just goes to show, you can't please everyone that's why its best to defer to the parents.

Exactly, they will do it when they think it's best not because some reporter who has a vested interest in more George access says the public needs to see him.

We have gotten photos showing him getting bigger and every time either one of the Cambridges are out on duty there is usually a George tidbit that comes out. Plus there are Twitter sightings of family activity such as the trip to Science museum with Mum or feeding the lambs with Dad so it's not like he is being kept in a dungeon and public viewing is needed to show he is still alive as some medieval proof of life.

Once he goes out on that balcony he going to be there for that event until he dies so he will start when his parents think his ready for it.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 04-08-2015, 07:15 AM
Imperial Majesty

I just think people are making too big of a deal with with a possible appearance of Prince George with his parents on the balcony. If it don't work out, they could just hand him over to his nanny and let the church roll on.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 04-12-2015, 04:13 AM
Courtier

"Daddy is not here" -

- a quote from a lady named Claudia Gordon, who was quoting the Duchess of Cambridge, who she chatted with at the Goring Hotel luncheon a few weeks ago.

The Duchess told Claudia this is what young Prince George said when he overheard his father was in China - and he went to the china cabinet, and opened it, and said this.

The article is online under the heading "Naples luxury travel advisor meets Duchess of Cambridge" by Andrea Stetson if you want to see it - I can't post links from my tablet.
Old 04-12-2015, 04:41 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Lion View Post
"Daddy is not here" -

- a quote from a lady named Claudia Gordon, who was quoting the Duchess of Cambridge, who she chatted with at the Goring Hotel luncheon a few weeks ago.

The Duchess told Claudia this is what young Prince George said when he overheard his father was in China - and he went to the china cabinet, and opened it, and said this.

The article is online under the heading "Naples luxury travel advisor meets Duchess of Cambridge" by Andrea Stetson if you want to see it - I can't post links from my tablet.
Awww.... how adorable!
Old 04-12-2015, 04:51 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Lion View Post
"Daddy is not here" -

nice story
Old 04-12-2015, 08:01 AM
Serene Highness

Pretty darn bright for a toddler! Reminds of the cute story from when Charles was a tot.. He was climbing Into his high chair or something and be muttered to himself "ooh ,mind me stockings!"and patted his little leg.
Old 04-12-2015, 08:09 AM
Majesty

Great story!

I would be surprised if George made it to the balcony for the Trooping this year. In fact, I am not sure if Catherine herself will make it to the Trooping and the Garter this year as they are so soon after the birth.
Old 04-12-2015, 09:13 AM
Serene Highness

Oh noes years of therapy ahead and a child hood permanetly marred����
Old 04-12-2015, 10:49 AM
Moderator Emeritus
Royal Blogger

A very cute story. Thanks for sharing.
Old 04-12-2015, 01:57 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

That's an adorable story

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaryllus View Post
Pretty darn bright for a toddler! Reminds of the cute story from when Charles was a tot.. He was climbing Into his high chair or something and be muttered to himself "ooh ,mind me stockings!"and patted his little leg.
Judging by the story, it does seem that George is quite advanced for his age. When I was on holiday, I met a family who had an adorable little girl who was exactly George's age, and she was still very much a baby in regards to how much she could talk (and I heard that girls develop quicker than boys). My little cousin is a month older than George and he is also very advanced for his age and can say proper sentences (though when his father isn't present, he says "Daddy's gone").

That's a very sweet story about a young Charles, by the way. Toddlers and children can say the cutest things sometimes!

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 04-12-2015, 02:20 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
That's an adorable story

Judging by the story, it does seem that George is quite advanced for his age. When I was on holiday, I met a family who had an adorable little girl who was exactly George's age, and she was still very much a baby in regards to how much she could talk (and I heard that girls develop quicker than boys). My little cousin is a month older than George and he is also very advanced for his age and can say proper sentences (though when his father isn't present, he says "Daddy's gone").

That's a very sweet story about a young Charles, by the way. Toddlers and children can say the cutest things sometimes!
I don't think you can tell much from a story like this. A mother can interpert what the kid is saying long before they are proper words or meanings. It's cute that he knew the word China as in china cabinet though :P
Old 04-12-2015, 02:27 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by hernameispekka View Post
I don't think you can tell much from a story like this. A mother can interpert what the kid is saying long before they are proper words or meanings. It's cute that he knew the word China as in china cabinet though :P
Its amazing too that he was able to get the thing open and look inside. He's heading into the terrible twos and from what it seems, he's starting early. Mothers can and do interpret their kids. My mother did. My parents discovered my hearing loss because of my words and actions as a small one. I was being totally a terror one day and she asked me out of frustration why am I being so horrible. I said that Captain Kangaroo said "its be nice some other day". What CK actually had said though was "its be nice to mother day". True story.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 04-12-2015, 11:35 PM
Courtier

A gentle warning to any of my fellow TRF posters who may be offended by pap photos of the Cambridge family - please just skip over my post.

This week's Australian magazine "New Idea" has published three pages of colour photos of the Duchess of Cambridge and young Prince George playing together at Snettisham Park, which is a working farm and petting zoo not far from Anmer Hall.

The Duchess was overheard calling her son "Georgie" - (and he has grown so much, he looks so tall for a little boy.)

Prince George squealed out "Neigh!" when the Duchess prompted him with a toy horse belonging to the group of children who joined them.

He copied the Duchess's "moo", and he must watch "Peppa the Pig", as that was his mother's hint when the toy pig was shown.

The toy duck got a kiss and some quacking noises.

There is a photo of the Duchess and George sliding down twin slides - side by side, holding hands - and a series of photos of PG high up among the hay bales, a bit out of his pregnant mother's reach.

The little Prince is also pictured hugging one of the young girls he made friends with earlier, when they were together in the sand-pit.

George also joined a group of children and bottle-fed a piglet, and he and the Duchess also fed some goats.

Other photos show George tackling the climbing frame, with the Duchess firmly supporting him from behind up the steep walking ladder.

Three protection officers accompanied the Royal pair, and it must have been a bit chilly as both Prince George and the Duchess are rugged up - (as are the other children in the photos.)

Young George is covered head to toe in dark blue - shoes, puffy onesie zipped suit and tie-on wooley hat with a pom pom on top. No mittens.

The Duchess is in her gum-boots, a checked shirt, jeans and a brown puffy, quilted jacket with her hair tied back.

Following this three-page spread, there are a couple of photos of Prince William out cycling at Sandringham Estate - without a protection officer - looking very professionally kitted out.

Closed Thread