The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 02:11 PM
Heir Apparent

She wrote that piece as if there are no safety or development issues. I for one think that trotting one's baby out in front of crowds to please the masses (read: raise the approval rating for the monarchy) is overreaching and can mess with a small child's world view. He will have challenges enough in his life. Let's give him a few years before he has to figure out why all those strangers are looking at him and yelling his and mommy and daddy's name. JMO.

Old 04-06-2015, 03:04 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
She wrote that piece as if there are no safety or development issues. I for one think that trotting one's baby out in front of crowds to please the masses (read: raise the approval rating for the monarchy) is overreaching and can mess with a small child's world view. He will have challenges enough in his life. Let's give him a few years before he has to figure out why all those strangers are looking at him and yelling his and mommy and daddy's name. JMO.
I don't think there's any harm in George being brought out on the balcony after the the Trooping. If there's any harm to his world view, then it must have happened to all the other royals too, including The Queen. From what we've been told by William and Catherine, George is very interested in everything is a very happy kid. He'd enjoy being with the family on the balcony. It will be okay.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 04-06-2015, 03:17 PM
Serene Highness

Kids are tough, adaptable and George by all accounts is a gregarious outgoing assertive toddler. He won't shatter or become traumatized by being on the balcony or having some cameras around for a limited amount of time.
Old 04-06-2015, 03:34 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by crm2317 View Post
To be honest the chances of him having a tantrum would be slim. He will be surrounded by family and there would be so much going on for him to watch and enjoy.
Chances of having a tantrum at age 2? Hihihih, sorry for the laugh.... :P
Old 04-06-2015, 03:55 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
As the only purpose of George being out on the balcony would be that he is "seen" publicly and a good photo op and the kid has absolutely no clue what is going on nor the meaning of the traditions of the day and add to that a very loud roar of the flyover, I think it'll be a few more years before we see any of the Cambridge children out on the balcony.

Its been said that up until around the age of five, a child's primary circle is his home and his family. Its usually not until they're of a preschool age that they actually branch out to include others socially.

Childhood is short enough as it is and I hope W&K do their best to just let him and his siblings be a child as long as possible.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 04-06-2015, 04:04 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
As the only purpose of George being out on the balcony would be that he is "seen" publicly and a good photo op and the kid has absolutely no clue what is going on nor the meaning of the traditions of the day and add to that a very loud roar of the flyover, I think it'll be a few more years before we see any of the Cambridge children out on the balcony.

Its been said that up until around the age of five, a child's primary circle is his home and his family. Its usually not until they're of a preschool age that they actually branch out to include others socially.

Childhood is short enough as it is and I hope W&K do their best to just let him and his siblings be a child as long as possible.
George being brought out on the balcony for a family picture after the Trooping, takes nothing away from him being a child. It's pretty much a family tradition to being out on the balcony (kids and all) for a few short family pictures. I think people are overacting to his appearance on the balcony.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 04-06-2015, 04:06 PM
Serene Highness

Sluethers, can ya'll give us a rundown of what ages the queens children and grandchildren have made a first balcony appearance? That might give us a clue what to expect.
Old 04-06-2015, 04:06 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

George is not a normal kid, has never been, and his childhood is not normal. Wherever he goes, he has security around him, people try to take a picture or are at least looking at him. That's his normality, even now, and he's growing up with it. I don't see why a balcony outing should harm him or interrupt his not-so-normal childhood.
Old 04-06-2015, 04:14 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaryllus View Post
Sluethers, can ya'll give us a rundown of what ages the queens children and grandchildren have made a first balcony appearance? That might give us a clue what to expect.
From The Queen, to all her children and grandchildren, have made regular appearances on the balcony since they were babies. It's no harm to the kids and they are protected by their parents, high balcony, troops, protection officers, etc.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 04-06-2015, 04:17 PM
Super Moderator

Maybe a balcony appearance by Prince George would depend on what he is doing prior to coming out on the balcony? If he is screaming the place down and have a tantrum, obviously they wouldn't bring him out. If he is as good as gold and in an angelic mood, then they can risk him appearing!
Old 04-06-2015, 04:24 PM
Serene Highness

Presumably before coming on the balcony they make sure he had napped well, not hungry, not feeling bad so as to eliminate the major tantrum factors.
Old 04-06-2015, 05:48 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Quote:
I'm not sure about the Queen's children, but the grandchildren made their appearances at different ages. Harry was one, William was two, Zara, Peter and Beatrice were three (or about to turn three) and Louise was about five. So George not being seen right now isn't that far off from what has normally been done.

I imagine we will see him this year or maybe next. It really all depends on what W&K feel he can handle. They know him best, so I trust they will introduce him when they feel he is comfortable.
Old 04-06-2015, 06:13 PM
Serene Highness

So.. We have Long time before we have to kvetch and fret about in other words.Cool.
Old 04-06-2015, 06:44 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar View Post
I'm not sure about the Queen's children, but the grandchildren made their appearances at different ages. Harry was one, William was two, Zara, Peter and Beatrice were three (or about to turn three) and Louise was about five. So George not being seen right now isn't that far off from what has normally been done.

I imagine we will see him this year or maybe next. It really all depends on what W&K feel he can handle. They know him best, so I trust they will introduce him when they feel he is comfortable.
I wouldn't be surprised if we saw George this year as he will be nearly 2 and he would only be on the balcony for 10 or 15 minutes.

James was 5 when his made his balcony debut just like his sister. I think Anne was 2 or 3 as she was on the balcony for the Queen's coronation, as was Charles who was 4 or 5. Prince Andrew was 1 1/2 when he made is balcony debut and Edward was "presented" to the public in June 1964 when he was 3 months old and was again brought out the following year when eh was 15 months and was seen every year after.
Old 04-06-2015, 07:22 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess of Durham View Post
Yes, Princess Estelle has been seen with her Mother/parents on several occasions, however MOST of the citations in her comments are really pictures of Estelle in certain situations. Apples and Oranges comparison. She is obviously groping for some to complain about.
I think the Swedish one is quite sensible. The palace release frequent photos and she has accompanied her mother and father on a couple of very low-key occasions and is also older than George.

It's the number of photo's that provide the continuity and the illusion that they see a lot more of her than they actually do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Right. The child will be fine being held in the arms of his mother and father on the balcony. George will be fine in a picture of two with the family.
Quote:
Presumably before coming on the balcony they make sure he had napped well, not hungry, not feeling bad so as to eliminate the major tantrum factors.
Well, given the response of the crowd when William and Catherine stepped out the first time, the volume was phenomenal and I imagine the appearance of Prince George would evoke the same response. The idea of stepping out with a two-year-old and having the crowd roar as they do is absolutely frightening. One of the little flower girls let us know how loud it is, even if she didn't have a melt-down.

So, being safe in Mummy or Daddy's arms means little, as does the notion that having him fed and napped. The idea of subjecting a 2-year-old to "The Balcony", makes me cringe. The poor child could be scarred for life. Or not!

http://www.hellomagazine.com/imagene...s-diana--z.jpg

{perhaps that explains William's royal occasion repulsion}
Old 04-06-2015, 09:44 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
I think the Swedish one is quite sensible. The palace release frequent photos and she has accompanied her mother and father on a couple of very low-key occasions and is also older than George.

It's the number of photo's that provide the continuity and the illusion that they see a lot more of her than they actually do.

Well, given the response of the crowd when William and Catherine stepped out the first time, the volume was phenomenal and I imagine the appearance of Prince George would evoke the same response. The idea of stepping out with a two-year-old and having the crowd roar as they do is absolutely frightening. One of the little flower girls let us know how loud it is, even if she didn't have a melt-down.

So, being safe in Mummy or Daddy's arms means little, as does the notion that having him fed and napped. The idea of subjecting a 2-year-old to "The Balcony", makes me cringe. The poor child could be scarred for life. Or not!

http://www.hellomagazine.com/imagene...s-diana--z.jpg

{perhaps that explains William's royal occasion repulsion}
The children usually enjoy the balcony, looking at the crowds of people and the flypast. Suddenly, when it comes to George making an appearance, it could frighten him to death and possibly scar him for the rest of his life.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 04-06-2015, 10:30 PM
Royal Highness

Every time I read about people complaining about not seeing enough of George, it reminds me of the Dionne Quintuplets.
Old 04-06-2015, 10:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
Every time I read about people complaining about not seeing enough of George, it reminds me of the Dionne Quintuplets.

And *that* is one road I never want any child to have to go down. *shudders*

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 04-07-2015, 12:39 AM
Heir Apparent

Harry was less than one, he was a baby about nine months
Old 04-07-2015, 01:33 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
George is not a normal kid, has never been, and his childhood is not normal. Wherever he goes, he has security around him, people try to take a picture or are at least looking at him. That's his normality, even now, and he's growing up with it. I don't see why a balcony outing should harm him or interrupt his not-so-normal childhood.
This child will never have a normal life. I am sure William will try very hard to introduce him to the average side of life as much as possible as his mother did, but normal......never. He probably will get more of a normal bit through his mother's parents at their home away from London and "palace" protocol stiffness around. There he can play in the dirt, get filthy and run in fields until worn out. Normal children things. Probably why William likes to also go there. Just to vegetate and relax and play normal for a bit.