The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 09:16 AM
Heir Presumptive

An interesting aside, does anyone know who the world's first exploited royal child was? Princess Elizabeth of York, or "Princess Betty" as she was fondly dubbed by the press in the 1920's. She was a media darling extraordinaire. Recall that after WWI, the royals were forced to reshape their image and their roles. There was also the rather odd business about the Prince of Wales, who'd rather drink and smoke with vulgar American woman than get down to finding a suitable English aristocrat and having little heirs. Then there was the Wallis Simpson scandal. So with all of this, the Queen Mother saw her darling as a way to reshape the image of the monarchy. She sanctioned books, new articles, photos galore (the approved of every sugar-coated word, to be sure), and loads of memorabilia. But make no mistake, Princess Elizabeth was sold out much like the Dionne Quints or Shirley Temple. The Queen Mother loved the attention. No other royal child was sold out like this, but since the press was so fawning at the time, and it was all so carefully controlled, nobody saw the harm in it.

The Queen Mother herself laid the groundwork for the "exploitation" of royal children. To be fair, she could not have foreseen the world nearly 100 years later and her great-great grandchild being subject to things like Instagram and Twitter, and the not-so-fawning press.

Old 02-05-2015, 07:38 PM
Royal Highness

Well you would have to say it worked really well. By the time her father became king everyone already loved this royal family I'm sure things would have been harder if they were the unknowns. The sense of knowing the family and most important the future Queen really helped Britain during the war years.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I'm not saying George should be treated the same I'm just saying it worked wonderfully for the Queen

Old 02-05-2015, 07:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
I'm not saying George should be treated the same I'm just saying it worked wonderfully for the Queen

... In a very different generation with a very different media climate and entirely different sensibilities.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 02-05-2015, 08:32 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
... In a very different generation with a very different media climate and entirely different sensibilities.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Yes it is and as I said I'm not saying it should be that way for George but it worked really well for that royal family

Old 02-05-2015, 08:43 PM
Heir Apparent

GracieGiraffe

I'm in shock. "Princess Betty"? Never! ......ok, maybe in the US. You guys love the nicknames.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 02-05-2015, 08:56 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
It did work wonderfully well for the Queen I think mainly because in that day and age and climate, they were treated as royalty and with the respect such a position entails. In today's media climate I think it would move towards pushing George into a celebrity status rather than as a future king of the UK.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 02-05-2015, 10:54 PM
Courtier

There is also a difference in personality of the child. Reports are that George is very active. He would probably not take to being in the public much. If I remember correctly, William was a handful when he was little.
Old 02-05-2015, 11:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
GracieGiraffe

I'm in shock. "Princess Betty"? Never! ......ok, maybe in the US. You guys love the nicknames.
I've read it in several places - but maybe it was the U.S. However, the Queen Mother was playing it up to the British media.
Old 03-05-2015, 12:29 AM
Imperial Majesty

Dash @DashRoyal · 3h 3 hours ago
Clarence House spokesperson: "His Royal Highness (The Prince of Wales) enjoys an excellent relationship with his grandson."

https://twitter.com/CourtierUK/statu...47028035235840

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 03-05-2015, 03:53 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

what rubbish
Prince Charles says 'They don't let me see my grandson George' | Daily Mail Online
Old 03-05-2015, 04:13 AM
Imperial Majesty

It has been well known for ages that William and Kate spend a lot of time with the Middleton's so it only makes sense that they, and thus George, see very little of Charles.
Old 03-05-2015, 04:32 AM
Heir Apparent

Spending time with Kate's parents doesn't mean that they don't spend time with Charles. When Mike Tindall told the story about Mia meeting George, it was at Highgrove. WK&G could easily go to Clarence House or Charles to KP without being photographed. How long was George going to BP for pool time before they were pictured because the paps where camped out at KP for George's birthday party? That probably wasn't the first trip to BP.

Old 03-05-2015, 04:35 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
I completely agree.
Old 03-05-2015, 05:00 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Charles is a busy royal man of older generation, and I think he will see George as often as he sees fit what might not be often. I don't see Charles as the 'doting granddad' rolling on the floor while playing with his grandson anyway. But there is nothing wrong with that.
Old 03-05-2015, 05:24 AM
Serene Highness

Newspapers loving picking of Kate's mother dont they !
Old 03-05-2015, 05:51 AM
Royal Highness

Charles is the grandpa and grandpa's don't usually have a very hands on relationship with their grandchildren
I'm sure Kate's dad isn't as involved as her mum is. If Diana was alive I'm sure she would see more of their grandchildren than Charles.
This can change as the children grow and become more interesting to grandpa's
George is Carole's first grandchild and we grandmothers go slightly crazy with our beautiful little grandchild so of course she wants to be with him lots. Nothing wrong with that

Old 03-05-2015, 06:40 AM
Nobility

Quote:
...I don't see Charles as the 'doting granddad' rolling on the floor while playing with his grandson anyway. But there is nothing wrong with that.
I thought the same about my father until I found him, one day, on the floor playing with his grandsons (my sons), laughing, singing and play-fighting. My mum assures me he didn't do that with his kids, and she was surprised when he did. My father is 70.

We will never know what Charles is like with George, or future grandkids. Grandparents are a lot more interactive with grandkids because they have the time, whereas when their own children were young, they were too busy.
Old 03-05-2015, 12:03 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
If someone is still entitled to believe one word from the Daily Mail, i highly recommend this article :

My Year Ripping Off the Web With the Daily Mail Online

Sadly, they still have the best pictures to share ...
Old 03-05-2015, 12:21 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
If someone is still entitled to believe one word from the Daily Mail, i highly recommend this article :

My Year Ripping Off the Web With the Daily Mail Online

Sadly, they still have the best pictures to share ...
I agree, photos nice but most articles belong in the bottom of a bird cage
Old 03-05-2015, 01:55 PM
Heir Apparent

So, how many of you have thought about the look on Prince Cheek's face when Daddy got back from work just now (or soon now). It made my day!

Having said this, I wondered how Daddy got out of Jinhong? Has anyone heard how he flew home? JHG (Jinhing Airport) seems to have only have Chinese Air Carriers. And it is not near major British Air Hubs. So I would imagine Daddy had special flight arrangements? If anyone knows, please share.

Edit - one reason I asked this is because commercial flights out of Yunnan are awful and would take 30-50 hours for Wills to get home.
I did re-check the press releases for the trip. Michael Head made clear he flew to Japan commercial ("scheduled flight") For China there is no mention of logistics - other than to say many of the press were traveling ahead to Yunnan. See: http://www.dukeandduchessofcambridge...11529/our-view