The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #181  
Old 02-03-2015, 02:34 PM
Excalibur's Avatar
Gentry
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Jacksonville, Florida, United States
Posts: 84
When friends (and now friends' children) are expecting babies, I give them one singular piece of advice: "NO ONE knows your child better than you." Not doctors, not other family members (including mothers and mothers-in-law), and certainly not complete strangers.

We need to remember that William and Catherine know George better than anyone on this planet. They know his personality, they know his likes and dislikes, and they know how he reacts to different situations. William is all too aware of his own upbringing and has the maturity to assess his parents' parenting decisions where he is concerned. I have no doubt that he will make his best attempt to not repeat his parents' mistakes in the raising of George. It's what all loving parents do. William and Catherine have experienced firsthand the paparazzi, they are aware of how harmful these experiences could be to George at various points in his life. William knows what will be expected of George as a prince and as a future king, and I am sure he and Catherine will do their best to prepare George for his future. If they think it best that he simply be allowed to be a kid at this juncture in his life, then so be it. An occasional authorized photo to ensure that he is, indeed, alive and kicking will be sufficient for me.

JMHO
__________________

  #182  
Old 02-03-2015, 02:40 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: ***, Sweden
Posts: 1,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
When friends (and now friends' children) are expecting babies, I give them one singular piece of advice: "NO ONE knows your child better than you." Not doctors, not other family members (including mothers and mothers-in-law), and certainly not complete strangers.

We need to remember that William and Catherine know George better than anyone on this planet. They know his personality, they know his likes and dislikes, and they know how he reacts to different situations. William is all too aware of his own upbringing and has the maturity to assess his parents' parenting decisions where he is concerned. I have no doubt that he will make his best attempt to not repeat his parents' mistakes in the raising of George. It's what all loving parents do. William and Catherine have experienced firsthand the paparazzi, they are aware of how harmful these experiences could be to George at various points in his life. William knows what will be expected of George as a prince and as a future king, and I am sure he and Catherine will do their best to prepare George for his future. If they think it best that he simply be allowed to be a kid at this juncture in his life, then so be it. An occasional authorized photo to ensure that he is, indeed, alive and kicking will be sufficient for me.

JMHO
Very good post!! And what is good for him might not work for his coming sibling. He might show up at Trooping this year or when he's 7 and the sibling at a whole other time. Different kids react differently to the same situations. One kid might be able to handle a flyby on the balcony while the other doesn't at the same age. That other kid might handle a walkabout better long before the sibling. I have faith that William and Catherine will listen to Georges signals and make decisions to the best of their ability.
__________________

  #183  
Old 02-03-2015, 02:54 PM
PrincessofEurope's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: *, United Kingdom
Posts: 3,196
Part of me agrees with Rebecca English's tweets - George has not been seen bar leaving the hospital and fathers day polo in England. William and Harry were seen more often notably on the palace balcony at trooping the colour from a very young age. I think it would be much better for the BRF and William and Kate with George to do the trooping the colour etc, release a few more pictures, and there by reducing the price and prestige of papazzari shots and this debate on these Mustique pictures. Charles and Diana used to pose for a picture opportunity on holidays eg in Lech or Klosters and this gave the press what they wanted and then they enjoyed the rest of the holiday - foreign royals do this regularly a timed photo session for privacy the rest of the time. And it seems to work well
__________________
This is the stuff of fairytales

  #184  
Old 02-03-2015, 02:58 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: ***, Sweden
Posts: 1,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessofEurope View Post
Part of me agrees with Rebecca English's tweets - George has not been seen bar leaving the hospital and fathers day polo in England. William and Harry were seen more often notably on the palace balcony at trooping the colour from a very young age. I think it would be much better for the BRF and William and Kate with George to do the trooping the colour etc, release a few more pictures, and there by reducing the price and prestige of papazzari shots and this debate on these Mustique pictures. Charles and Diana used to pose for a picture opportunity on holidays eg in Lech or Klosters and this gave the press what they wanted and then they enjoyed the rest of the holiday - foreign royals do this regularly a timed photo session for privacy the rest of the time. And it seems to work well
I don't think Charles and Dianas way was good. Much better to publish pictures or have 2 photographers at an event. This is not what I think is the way to go:
  #185  
Old 02-03-2015, 03:26 PM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 11,437
I thought that photo shoot was brilliant and at least everyone got to see baby William walk. It was natural and not stiffly set up. William and Catherine did this similar thing on their tour to Australia and New Zealand. They haven't done it since, but I think people would like to see it done in the UK. Not all the time, but once in a while.
__________________
"THE REAL POWER OF A MAN IS IN THE SIZE OF THE SMILE OF THE WOMAN SITTING NEXT TO HIM."

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
  #186  
Old 02-03-2015, 03:31 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: ***, Sweden
Posts: 1,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I thought that photo shoot was brilliant and at least everyone got to see baby William walk. It was natural and not stiffly set up.
Not stiffy. But that is not a kid that is comfortable. He is showed in front of a bunch of people with cameras hiding their faces. I'm surprised he didn't scream.... THAT is not the way to do it. The way to do it is like William and Catherine did on the play date. A natural surrounding for George with certain photographers there. I think the formula William was exposed to was really not thought through from his perspective. He just stood there the poor thing. Not even an event or something to distract him. Just standing there looking at a wall of cameras and people that doesn't even say hi to him..... I just want to run up and hug him in that video!
  #187  
Old 02-03-2015, 03:40 PM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 11,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by hernameispekka View Post
Not stiffy. But that is not a kid that is comfortable. He is showed in front of a bunch of people with cameras hiding their faces. I'm surprised he didn't scream.... THAT is not the way to do it. The way to do it is like William and Catherine did on the play date. A natural surrounding for George with certain photographers there. I think the formula William was exposed to was really not thought through from his perspective. He just stood there the poor thing. Not even an event or something to distract him. Just standing there looking at a wall of cameras and people that doesn't even say hi to him..... I just want to run up and hug him in that video!
I agree, he should have had something to play with during the shoot, but William was just being a kid and the whole thing was rather natural. I agree, a play date outing would be much better. George loved every minute of his outing last year and he wasn't even 1 yet. I think they should do something like that again.
__________________
"THE REAL POWER OF A MAN IS IN THE SIZE OF THE SMILE OF THE WOMAN SITTING NEXT TO HIM."

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
  #188  
Old 02-03-2015, 03:46 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: ***, Sweden
Posts: 1,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I agree, he should have had something to play with during the shoot, but William was just being a kid and the whole thing was rather natural. I agree, a play date outing would be much better. George loved every minute of his outing last year and he wasn't even 1 yet. I think they should do something like that again.
It might have looked natural for the adults, but I have spent some time around kids and he does not seem comfortable. I don't think it is fair for him. Why other would it have prompted him as a very young boy to say "I don't like 'tographers" if these event's weren't at least a little traumatic for them.

I agree that it would be fun (for George) and good for their image to have a similar thing as the play date in the UK. Many UK people feel a little snubbed that he hasn't had an official "engagement" there but he has had 2 in NZ/AUS.
  #189  
Old 02-03-2015, 03:56 PM
soapstar's Avatar
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Hermosa Beach, United States
Posts: 3,299
No matter what the royals do, people will complain. I've seen criticism about the way the Danish and Swedish royals are handling access to their children. So even if William and Kate looked to the European royals, it wouldn't stop the critics.

Every royal family is different and what may work for one, may not work for another. The BRF seem to allow their children some space before introducing them to formal and informal events. Charles and Diana didn't give tons of press access to William and Harry until they were school age. Before that, it was basically Trooping and a few photos/photo ops. The same with Sophie and Edward. Louise was 9 or 10 before we started seeing her at events, and James is 7 and we're just now starting to see him.

George is not yet 2 years old, so I don't mind that he's not constantly photographed. Releasing photos of him for events (birthdays, holidays, etc.), seems fine for right now. I'm sure once he gets a little older, we'll start to see him much more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessofEurope View Post
Part of me agrees with Rebecca English's tweets - George has not been seen bar leaving the hospital and fathers day polo in England. William and Harry were seen more often notably on the palace balcony at trooping the colour from a very young age. I think it would be much better for the BRF and William and Kate with George to do the trooping the colour etc, release a few more pictures, and there by reducing the price and prestige of papazzari shots and this debate on these Mustique pictures. Charles and Diana used to pose for a picture opportunity on holidays eg in Lech or Klosters and this gave the press what they wanted and then they enjoyed the rest of the holiday - foreign royals do this regularly a timed photo session for privacy the rest of the time. And it seems to work well
George was seen at his Christening and during the Australia/New Zealand tour too. Plus they have released quite a few photos of him - their first family photo (taken by Mr. Middleton), the Christening photos, the photos of them at the butterfly exhibit, the ones taken at Kensington and the Christmas photos.

I don't think releasing more photos will stop the paparazzi. They gave plenty of access to George during their last tour and the paps still took photos of them during their private time. Madeleine is pretty good about releasing photos of Leonore and she was still harassed by paps while they lived in New York.

Prince William was two when he attended his first Trooping, so there is a possibility that we might see George this year.
  #190  
Old 02-03-2015, 04:10 PM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 11,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by hernameispekka View Post
It might have looked natural for the adults, but I have spent some time around kids and he does not seem comfortable. I don't think it is fair for him. Why other would it have prompted him as a very young boy to say "I don't like 'tographers" if these event's weren't at least a little traumatic for them.

I agree that it would be fun (for George) and good for their image to have a similar thing as the play date in the UK. Many UK people feel a little snubbed that he hasn't had an official "engagement" there but he has had 2 in NZ/AUS.
Yeah, I know the media aren't too happy that a similar approach to George hasn't been done in the UK, like it was done on the tour. I think they could arrange something in the summer. I really like the tour of Wales idea, but probably won't happen just yet, because of the baby.
__________________
"THE REAL POWER OF A MAN IS IN THE SIZE OF THE SMILE OF THE WOMAN SITTING NEXT TO HIM."

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
  #191  
Old 02-03-2015, 04:11 PM
Skippyboo's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Atlanta, United States
Posts: 3,337
Technically, he hasn't had any official engagements yet. He didn't get credit in the court circular for the playgroup or zoo trip. It also will be probably several years until he goes back to Australia and New Zealand.

William didn't officially do an engagement until he was 9.


Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
  #192  
Old 02-03-2015, 04:14 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: ***, Sweden
Posts: 1,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
Technically, he hasn't had any official engagements yet. He didn't get credit in the court circular for the playgroup or zoo trip. It also will be probably several years until he goes back to Australia and New Zealand.

William didn't officially do an engagement until he was 9.


Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Yeah, I wrote engagements in the loose sense of the word. Although, I actually think it could count as one.
  #193  
Old 02-03-2015, 04:32 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,889
I don't see anything wrong with a photo op like they did in Australia. I can understand why the UK feels left out.
The Danish royal family do a great job with their photo ops.
I am childhood teacher there was nothing wrong with William at his photo call. Sometimes we look too hard to find a problem which isn't there


Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
  #194  
Old 02-03-2015, 04:42 PM
GracieGiraffe's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Giraffe Land, United States
Posts: 2,531
I think they should do a reality TV show and have the cameras on George 24/7. Like the Gosselins, or the Duggars, or Honey-Boo-Boo.

They can call it Will and Kate Plus 2 Prince(sses) and Counting.
__________________
The future George VII's opinion on infant carriers,
"One is not amused."
  #195  
Old 02-03-2015, 04:48 PM
HereditaryPrincess's Avatar
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Greater London, United Kingdom
Posts: 5,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
I don't see anything wrong with a photo op like they did in Australia. I can understand why the UK feels left out.
The Danish royal family do a great job with their photo ops.
I am childhood teacher there was nothing wrong with William at his photo call. Sometimes we look too hard to find a problem which isn't there


Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I agree about the DRF. I also think the Dutch and Norwegian RFs are good for photoshoots and how much we see the royal children. The Swedish RF don't seem to have photoshoots but we still get to see Princess Estelle and Princess Leonore on a regular basis. We saw Princess Estelle a lot over the weekend at the Figure Skating Championships.

Generally, I've always gotten the impression that the BRF are a bit more reserved when it comes to royal children, and they also don't seem to "do" photoshoots. They used to release group photos sometimes, but they seem to have stopped that now as well. I think something like an annual photocall at Balmoral with the immediate family every summer or something would be a good idea.

I do think there was something wrong with William's photocall, and that was, like others, that he wasn't given something to keep him amused. He seemed like he really didn't want to be there since he kept on trying to escape. I think there should've at least been a slide in the garden.


Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
__________________
"For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone". Audrey Hepburn

*
"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
  #196  
Old 02-03-2015, 04:53 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,889
As far as 2 year old William not liking photographers 2 year olds don't like lots of things in fact most things at some stage. Bed , food , potty , mummy , daddy even the cat or dog can be on the list.


Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
  #197  
Old 02-03-2015, 05:18 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: ***, Sweden
Posts: 1,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
I think they should do a reality TV show and have the cameras on George 24/7. Like the Gosselins, or the Duggars, or Honey-Boo-Boo.

They can call it Will and Kate Plus 2 Prince(sses) and Counting.
Haha, this reminded me of Ellen Degeneres' congratulations on the baby tweet. She wrote something about them working on Will & Kate plus eight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
As far as 2 year old William not liking photographers 2 year olds don't like lots of things in fact most things at some stage. Bed , food , potty , mummy , daddy even the cat or dog can be on the list.


Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
That is true, but I think that comment was at the time of him starting school. Diana told him that he had to behave because there would be alot of photographers then and he answered with "I don't like 'tographers".
  #198  
Old 02-03-2015, 05:40 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,889
Still not a big deal to me. Lots of children don't like having their photo taken he most likely heard it from Charles who makes it clear what he thinks ( biting the hand that feeds you )


Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
  #199  
Old 02-03-2015, 05:46 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: ***, Sweden
Posts: 1,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
Still not a big deal to me. Lots of children don't like having their photo taken he most likely heard it from Charles who makes it clear what he thinks ( biting the hand that feeds you )


Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
True, true... But seeing how he feels now it is not impossible that he actually thought it really scary as a kid. Or as you say, heard it from his parents. I'm not saying I'm right. Just that it is a possibility.
  #200  
Old 02-03-2015, 05:55 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by hernameispekka View Post
True, true... But seeing how he feels now it is not impossible that he actually thought it really scary as a kid. Or as you say, heard it from his parents. I'm not saying I'm right. Just that it is a possibility.

More likely what happened to his mother


Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
__________________

Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
General News for the Cambridge Family Part 2: January 2015 JessRulz The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family 1347 11-25-2016 03:38 PM
Prince George and Princess Charlotte, General News Part 1: May 2015 - May 2016 JessRulz Current Events Archive 1582 05-08-2016 04:17 AM
General News for the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge 1: January 2013-December 2014 Zonk Current Events Archive 1689 01-04-2015 06:46 AM




Popular Tags
ascot 2016 best gown best gown september 2016 best hat best outfit catherine middleton style coup d'etat crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mary fashion crown princess mette-marit current events duchess of cambridge dutch state visit e-mail fashion poll grand duke jean greece kate middleton king abdullah ii king felipe king felipe vi king willem-alexander member introduction monarchy new zealand nobel gala norway november 2016 october 2016 opening of parliament picture of the week prince bernhard prince charles prince oscar princess madeleine princess marie princess mary princess mary daytime fashion princess mary fashion princess mary hats princess stéphanie's daytime outfits psychopath queen elizabeth ii queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen letizia style queen mathilde queen mathildes outfits queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania royal fashion september 2016 sheikh hamdan bin mohammed state visit state visit to denmark succession sweden the duchess of cambridge the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:14 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2016
Jelsoft Enterprises