Prince George and Princess Charlotte, General News 2: May 2015 - May 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The media is upset because the family did not allow a photo shoot so they could get their own photos.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community

I've never been a fan of how they dress George. The only cute outfit I've seen him in is the overalls when he was at the play date. William had more adorable clothing at his age. I remember rhis cute onsies (is that how u spell it) in Australia, then his blue snow suit about a year later.
Anyway, I think the photos are great and they look very professional. When George is looking down at Charlotte he resembles baby Kate, but most of the time he looks like Michael with blonde hair.

The British media just need to calm down. A select group of the media will get their own photos during the coverage of the Christening.

I don't understand the dislike of George's clothing. I found nothing wrong with his socks. I too wear high socks and I'm many many years older than George. It's better than ankle socks. That stuff just slips to the bottom of your feet.

Last edited:
The media is upset because the family did not allow a photo shoot so they could get their own photos.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community

You've hit the nail on the head. This was never about not having enough pictures of George and Charlotte. Its about the media wanting to control the photos and have theirs to sell and make money off the backs of the royals.

The royals could release a photo a day and the press would still complain because although we'd get to see the children the papers can't make money off them and that's their only concern.

The next time a reporter complains about 'we never get to see George' remember what it is they're really saying. We want exclusive pics to make money for our business.

Last edited:
The British media just need to calm down. A select group of the media will get their own photos during the coverage of the Christening.

I don't understand the dislike of George's clothing. I found nothing wrong with his socks. I too wear high socks and I'm many many years older than George. It's better than ankle socks. That stuff just slips to the bottom of your feet.

Well, what did one expect? One cannot please everyone all the time. The socks seemed a little tight, but without a materials list no one knows if it was the cloth or tight socks. He looks like a real smart baby. Charlotte seems real attentive. Why the to do about the socks? He must not like shoes, lol. Might be a bonk on his shin, or something, he's a child, he plays, I assume he throws a ball and plays with a dog. I don't see a single hair out of place but I do see two happy babies. We know their parents adore them and one look and you see they are well cared for. As long as their clothed and the clothes fit, appropriate, most people are not going to care what play clothes they are in. Those are obviously play clothes. Look perfect for George to finger paint in. lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never been a fan of how they dress George. The only cute outfit I've seen him in is the overalls when he was at the play date. William had more adorable clothing at his age. I remember rhis cute onsies (is that how u spell it) in Australia, then his blue snow suit about a year later.
Anyway, I think the photos are great and they look very professional. When George is looking down at Charlotte he resembles baby Kate, but most of the time he looks like Michael with blonde hair.

Children play, all the time. Getting the play to be educational is the goal. Once they start school it can drive a wedge into that home life revolvant around educational play and take over making it curriculum driven that is not as good as what they learn at home, leaving children wanting entertainment like video games at home not study even incorporating uniforms at school. So, play clothes go with the activity as they always have and George is young, so fashion is ridiculous unless it has a purpose. Overalls are great for play clothes, maybe to plant something or play in the dirt, or build something. Not one outfit suggests the parents are trying to express anything but play clothes. This is the parents time with their children it won't be but a few years before the schools interject their opinions, let them have their time. They are fortunate they haven't had to fend off in laws and general public, know what I mean? lol. I remeber being pregnant and random people would come up out of the blue and try to feel my belly and when my baby was a new born people would try and touch the baby's feet. It is a big world full of people, not all can mind their p's and q's. Dutchess Kate shouldn't have to fend the media off or explain play clothes. Everyone should just have common sense.

And on that cream color sectional

Yes, the whole scene just screams "and now, time for some finger painting!" Which I hope is promptly followed by some spaghetti eating. Spaghetti sauce would just make the outfit.

And on that cream color sectional

lol! I remember getting rid of all furniture that could be jumped on when my child was real young like that, just so discipline wasn't an issue. No sense in getting all upset over frivolous stuff one can eventually replace. Anyway, anything white, beige, cream, yellow, tan, etc. is just going to stain, makes no sense to have, unless of course you have a professional cleaning staff to help out, which I am glad someone does. I like dark colors, gothic and some steampunk decor, some fairy garden, I am kind of gloomy, but having children makes one let go of pretty much all of that, so I can empathize with just having white furniture lol, like all fresh and new, clean canvas. Then being all fussy and particular about items and sentimental about things I like that I own, it's like well when you have children, you have what they like and what is best for them. As they age you can have your stuff as long as it isn't a bad influence on them. But, yeah, the white sofa, definitely, if you can keep it clean, a reminder of fresh, bright, new changes to come that will go with all the wax paper to be drawn on all over the walls. My child is way older, we are all gamers here, so we have gotten past the toss the furniture before someone jumps on it, cover the floor in play rugs and walls in wax paper, but still such a dear time.

Looking over the photos once again (as they're so cute!), I really get the feeling that George has bonded with his little sister. The expressions on his face seem to say "This is MY sister and I'm her big brother!". Gives me the feeling that as they grow older, George is going to be protective of her.

The outfits were pretty simple in my book with the blue piping and socks on George adding a splash of color to the photos. The main focus was on the kids, the lighting was near perfect and nothing to distract from the picture (such as photos on a table etc).

I like how the Cambridges took and released the photos themselves. This way, they retain their privacy and control what is seen and what is not seen and most importantly, it came from them to the public and no one had "exclusive" rights to the photos. That belongs to mommy and daddy.

Less than a week to the christening and more photos. :clap:

lol! I remember getting rid of all furniture that could be jumped on when my child was real young like that, just so discipline wasn't an issue. No sense in getting all upset over frivolous stuff one can eventually replace. Anyway, anything white, beige, cream, yellow, tan, etc. is just going to stain, makes no sense to have, unless of course you have a professional cleaning staff to help out, which I am glad someone does. I like dark colors, gothic and some steampunk decor, some fairy garden, I am kind of gloomy, but having children makes one let go of pretty much all of that, so I can empathize with just having white furniture lol, like all fresh and new, clean canvas. Then being all fussy and particular about items and sentimental about things I like that I own, it's like well when you have children, you have what they like and what is best for them. As they age you can have your stuff as long as it isn't a bad influence on them. But, yeah, the white sofa, definitely, if you can keep it clean, a reminder of fresh, bright, new changes to come that will go with all the wax paper to be drawn on all over the walls. My child is way older, we are all gamers here, so we have gotten past the toss the furniture before someone jumps on it, cover the floor in play rugs and walls in wax paper, but still such a dear time.

Oh so true and with small ones, where there's a will, there's a way and I think all my kids found them. Even to the point as a little one waking up in his crib and deciding to be "artistic" with using a soiled diaper as the medium of expression to decorate the walls.

I would imagine that with the size of Anmer Hall, perhaps the room the photos were taken in with it being beige, it very possibly could be that the room is used (as my mother used to say) "for company" and the day to day living is done in other rooms such as a playroom, living room and kitchen. I would bet my last shortbread cookie that George has made his fair share of glorious messes here and there. :D

They have both a day and ?night nursery? where I would expect they spend the majority of the time and where all the toys and paraphanalia are. I can't see George coloring on walls or spilling juice on the furniture.

They have both a day and ?night nursery? where I would expect they spend the majority of the time and where all the toys and paraphanalia are. I can't see George coloring on walls or spilling juice on the furniture.

Indeed, I'm sure they have plenty of kid-friendly space for playtime, as well as supervision. George may be a handful, but I think most of the house is probably "safe" from any big messes.

Really? So the Duke and Dutchess get to keep their stuff nice. That's great. I couldn't imagine not starting out without second hand living room furniture, all new baby stuff and furniture, tossing all the living room stuff to make more play space, baby proofing everywhere and just instead enjoying it like they have it. I have so much sympathy for them, oh my, they are missing out on all the mess, cleaning up, all of that. Spills, that's why you go thrift, find an old sofa, buy a bunch of rugs to cover the carpet and cover the walls in wax paper and let the mess happen to encourage the writing skills. You just have to clean it up. They must be really busy parents. A lot of bonding happens through messy play. They even teach at school to play with food as a precursor to learning art, in art class. Sure they have a playroom, it's probably fantastic.

Hmm so the media winning about not seeing George is really winning about they can't get exclusive pictures to sell? George was last seen in May and everyone got to see and photograph him at the same time. On other places on the Internet I have actually seen complaints that the first time the public got to see him was in Australia and not in England?! What the hey?

Hmm so the media winning about not seeing George is really winning about they can't get exclusive pictures to sell? George was last seen in May and everyone got to see and photograph him at the same time. On other places on the Internet I have actually seen complaints that the first time the public got to see him was in Australia and not in England?! What the hey?

Personally, I am very pleased that the Duke and Duchess are maintaining some control over photos of their children. Of-course, we would all love to see George and Charlotte more often, but they are the parents and it's up to them, not the media.

We are the family you see in the grocery store with colanders on our heads

Those aren't colanders. They're Moon Man hats.

As Will and Kate are very hands on parents, I can imagine that their family play is just as creative and imaginative as young parents tend to get. George, though, is about to enter the terrible twos and there's no greater of an explorer and the "do it myself" persona as a child reaching that age. Gotta love it when a two year old sneaks out to make his own breakfast. Got the cereal. Check. Got the milk. Check. Got the sugar. Check. Eat in the living room. Check. Forgot the bowl. Oh well. I'll use the carpet.

The more I think about it and remember times past, the more I think its a good thing for Will and Kate to have this time to put family first.

The picture appears to have been taken in the 'adult' section of the house.

I do not think George will be making a mess in the adult section of the house. In large houses and London townhomes of the wealthy, the children live separately usually accompanied by the nanny.

The night nursery is where the child sleeps and is usually located on the top floor.
The day nursery is where the child plays, eats and maybe takes a nap.

Children of George's age would never enter the drawing room, sitting room, library, dining room, and main kitchen except briefly and only on very rare occasions.

Anmer is 'L' shaped two story house with an attic and a basement (based on pictures)..

In a house built like Anmer, most of the ground level and basement are off limits.

The basement is where the main kitchen is located and the ground level is where the adults entertain.

George may have the run of the attic and two floors of the small part of the' L' shape but not the main part of the house. In the small part of the 'L' there might be a family kitchen where George may have lunch with his parents but the main kitchen with the staff is off limits.

Kids of George's age are watched and doors are closed and stairs blocked off.

Queen Camilla, your description sounds like the epitome of what aristocratic estate homes used to be like.

Although this may well be the case, for some reason, I don't think Will and Kate are that formal with the kids in one part of the house and the adults in another. I'm not tending to believe either that they have an overabundance of staff. I do think that for child play with finger paints or building blocks, he's got his own playroom for that but I think they would spend time as a family for meals.

I remember it being reported that when Will went to China, someone said that in George's presence and he went running to the china cabinet looking for Daddy. Kid obviously understands the concept of china and where its kept. Perhaps, with this in mind, we see just why the Cambridges put on the extra "family" kitchen at 1A.

Last edited:
I've never gotten the impression that W&K are that sort of formal people...I'm sure they have a nice room where kids aren't allowed (my parents did and we weren't rich or royalty) that's used for company etc. Past that it has sounded to me like they live with minimum staff and are very hands on with their children and household.

LaRae

Queen Camilla, you're description sounds like the epitome of what aristocratic estate homes used to be like.

Although this may well be the case, for some reason, I don't think Will and Kate are that formal with the kids in one part of the house and the adults in another. I'm not tending to believe either that they have an overabundance of staff. I do think that for child play with finger paints or building blocks, he's got his own playroom for that but I think they would spend time as a family for meals.

I remember it being reported that when Will went to China, someone said that in George's presence and he went running to the china cabinet looking for Daddy. Kid obviously understands the concept of china and where its kept. Perhaps, with this in mind, we see just why the Cambridges put on the extra "family" kitchen at 1A.

Yes, I suspect the Cambridges have likely found a middle ground between the typical way of raising aristocratic/royal children vs. being hands-on parents and living in a family home. Obviously they live in a large house and have some staff, but I would very much doubt the kids are kept as separate from the adults as some children used to be. I think, even in "normal" families, there are often areas that are more encouraged for playing (such as the family room or the child's bedroom), whereas areas like a dining room and living room might not be the places where you bring your toys. So I would guess it might be more like that, albeit on a larger scale, for William and Kate. You have the more casual, family areas of the house, and then you probably have some more formal areas, which the kids usually aren't interested in anyway.

IMO, Anmer and KP were only minimally updated to reflect current family upbringing.

KP still has the day and night nurseries and the main kitchen and the family kitchen.

Anmer is still probably set up the same way with only minor adjustments.

The playroom is the day nursery and George's paints and crayons would never leave that room and travel to the 'adult' area.

Most of his toys would stay in the playroom aka the day nursery.

:previous:That all sounds rather 19th or early/mid 20th century. I'm sure KP maintains somewhat that routine because of public visitors, however I highly doubt that Anmer Hall operates that way. The DOC was not raised that way and frankly I suspect William was not really raised in that kind of stifling atmosphere. It is after all, not Downton Abbey of the early 20th century. :lol:

I agree with Queen Camilla. I very much doubt that George has the run of Anmer Hall and is free to roam that vast place at will. In fact I am willing to bet at his age that he is mostly confined to the nursery, and is never out of sight of either his nanny or his parents when he is OUT of his nursery .

William had Nanny Barbara Barnes or Olga Powell to watch him when his mother wasn't around.

Kate probably had a more typical middle-class upbringing and therefore more freedom to roam the house as a child.

Last edited:
:previous:That all sounds rather 19th or early/mid 20th century. I'm sure KP maintains somewhat that routine because of public visitors, however I highly doubt that Anmer Hall operates that way. The DOC was not raised that way and frankly I suspect William was not really raised in that kind of stifling atmosphere. It is after all, not Downton Abbey of the early 20th century. :lol:

What is being described is not 'stifling'. William had a very free-ranging childhood from what I've read (especially at Balmoral), but there were (some) limits and boundaries in the big houses. (Andrew describes freewheeling in his child's go cart down the halls of Buckingham Palace). Charles rough-housed with his sons in the nursery (not the formal sections of the house). The boys played outside around Highgrove. The nursery ran on schedule with parents showing up at various times during the day: Diana often having supper on trays in front of the telly with her sons, and Charles seeing to their baths. But this all took place within a regimen that allowed for freedom for the parents. The structure would have been experienced as normal, not stifling. :flowers:

You write as though there have been 'leaks' about how the household is being run. ;) We have no evidence that the Cambridge household is not running like a usual aristocratic (or wealthy) family household that employs servants. Once the servants are there one must allow for them and allow them their roles and places in the household to get their job done seamlessly. Just my two cents. :flowers:

Last edited:
I would imagine that there are areas of both homes that are not child-friendly, and that's just fine. However, I doubt that George is confined solely to the day nursery. That just doesn't sound like something his parents would be happy with. I bet a good deal of either of their residences is child-proof, so that George, and later Charlotte can feel comfortable roaming around, and being children.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

What is being described is not 'stifling'. William had a very free-ranging childhood from what I've read (especially at Balmoral), but there were (some) limits and boundaries in the big houses. (Andrew describes freewheeling in his child's go cart down the halls of Buckingham Palace). Charles rough-housed with his sons in the nursery (not the formal sections of the house). The boys played outside around Highgrove. The nursery ran on schedule with parents showing up at various times during the day: Diana often having supper on trays in front of the telly with her sons, and Charles seeing to their baths. But this all took place within a regimen that allowed for freedom for the parents. The structure would have been experienced as normal, not stifling. :flowers:

You write as though there have been 'leaks' about how the household is being run. ;) We have no evidence that the Cambridge household is not running like a usual aristocratic (or wealthy) family household that employs servants. Once the servants are there one must allow for them and allow them their roles and places in the household to get their job done seamlessly. Just my two cents. :flowers:

The thing is, we have no evidence of how the house is being run either way - we can only make our own assumptions. Just because they have household help doesn't mean they're running things in a particularly set way. The staff are there to help the family, not to have the family adjust to them. And I assume the Cambridges would have hired people who they feel "fit" into their idea of what kind of family life they want. Of course, I can't purport to know how things are at their house, but I would guess there's more flexibility in deciding how a household might be run than there was in decades past.

I completely agree. I read a recent article that said the DoC is a stickler for schedules and "routine" where Prince George is concerned, which leads me to suspect that despite her hands-on parenting style her children are being given a traditional upper class upbringing more than a Main Street USA one.

Aristocratic slightly old-fashioned clothing, playtime, teatime and dinner in the nursery, bath time and a very strictly enforced bedtime all under the watchful eyes of mummy and the nanny... these things might sound regimented to some. But in the world that William grew up in and that the Cambridge kids will inhabit it's all very natural indeed.

What William and Kate really mean when they say they want a "normal" upbringing for their kids is probably that they want them to grow up without cameras in their faces every minute.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom