The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 06:45 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Lion View Post
For comparison, the "Daily Mail/Mail Online" has - as it's top story,at this moment - lots of photos of the Queen's other grandchildren/great grandchildren running, laughing and playing at the Windsor Horse Show.

They don't seem inhibited by the photographer/s.
Not a fair apples to orange comparison I am afraid.

First of all, they are considerably older than George and Charlotte. And when they were younger, although there was certainly an interest in Louise, James, Savannah and Isla is going to be NO WHERE the same amount of interest as if George and Charlotte appeared at the show.

Old 05-16-2015, 06:56 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post

First of all, they are considerably older than George and Charlotte. And when they were younger, although there was certainly an interest in Louise, James, Savannah and Isla is going to be NO WHERE the same amount of interest as if George and Charlotte appeared at the show.
Indeed. And some may not remember, but when Louise and James were babies/toddlers, they were basically kept completely out of the public eye (even more so than George has been so far). And, obviously, the level of interest in them was and is completely different. But even there, there was caution about press exposure to them when they were very little. So I can only imagine how much thought and concern must go into how and when to have George and Charlotte out around the press.

Old 05-16-2015, 07:21 PM
Courtier

I wonder if the real drawcard isn't actually the Duchess herself, (especially when pregnant, but finished with official duties preceding the birth).

All the photos of PG at Snettisham and Bucklebury petting farms had his mother in them, except the one hugging the other children.

When his grandmother Carole Middleton took PG to the pub, no photos.

And even though the photos of both farm visits were published in Australian magazines, they weren't a big deal here.

Other people got the main cover - in one instance, a year old photo of Uncle Harry took precedence over the new photos of PG.
Old 05-16-2015, 07:25 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
For comparison, the "Daily Mail/Mail Online" has - as it's top story at this moment - lots of photos of the Queen's other grandchildren/great grandchildren running, laughing and playing at the Windsor Horse Show.

They don't seem inhibited by the photographer/s, who must have followed them for a long time looking at the different rides they're on, eating ice-cream and playing with each other and with their parents.

Lady Louise seems aware of the camera in one photo, but other-wise the children just seem to have got on with it and enjoyed the day.
They all know they're being photographed, but they are going about their day and having a good time as a family. The family isn't always pictured and followed, and no one is bothering them. The Cambridge's can join this outing and no one will bother them, they would have good time and everyone would enjoy the pictures.

I think people are just overreacting when it comes to the very idea of the Cambridge's being pictured at controlled family outings. There's absolutely nothing wrong with George making an appearance of the palace balcony this year, watching and playing while his father is at a polo match or even at the Windsor Horse Show. No one is expected to see much of Charlotte yet, outside of her official pictures and christening.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 05-16-2015, 07:54 PM
Royal Highness

Let's put George and Charlotte in cotton wool in a glass case ( blacked out of course) for the next 15 years. We won't let them be seen in public or play with their cousins etc so when they do appear in public they will be totally freaked out.
Expose them a little bit at a time and don't make it a big deal. The latest words in childcare are "risk taking" and being able to "bounce back"
I found that hard for a while after 20 years in childcare protecting them from potential harm. But I now know the benefits. I really hope to see them playing with the other children in family in a year or so

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 05-16-2015, 08:46 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
Let's put George and Charlotte in cotton wool in a glass case ( blacked out of course) for the next 15 years. We won't let them be seen in public or play with their cousins etc so when they do appear in public they will be totally freaked out.
Expose them a little bit at a time and don't make it a big deal. The latest words in childcare are "risk taking" and being able to "bounce back"
I found that hard for a while after 20 years in childcare protecting them from potential harm. But I now know the benefits. I really hope to see them playing with the other children in family in a year or so

George enjoyed himself last year on the royal tour. He loved going to the zoo and watching the bilby. There were cameras in his face, but didn't let that scare him. He played with other kids at his first official engagement. There were cameras present, but he wasn't distracted and loved interacting with the other babies and played with his toys. George went with his mother to watch his father play polo for Father's Day. There were cameras present (from a good distance) and he played with a polo stick, walked and crawled. He only got a tad fussy when it was time to go. Most recently, he went with his father to visit his new baby sister in hospital. There were a vast camera and media pack present, but he simply looked, waved and carried on with his visit.

I think it simply goes to show that George, and later on Charlotte, will be alright when seen by the public and media. William and Catherine wouldn't put their children in harms way and no members of the media would want that either. Yes, pictures will sell, but that's how it's always been and it won't change in the future. Those kids will be fine no matter what, because they have their parents to protect them, family and are surrounded by security 24/7.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 05-16-2015, 08:53 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post

Just because we don't see them photographed doesn't mean they're being kept wrapped in cotton wool. The issue is really whether or not they're in a situation where they're going to be photographed. That doesn't mean they can't go out in public or play with their cousins, etc., I think it has more to do with the context of a situation. As Sun Lion mentioned, it's been known that George has been out in public without being photographed, but if he's with his mother (or his father, presumably), the chances of attracting attention are much higher.

As I mentioned, for a long time there weren't really any photos of the Wessex children (other than photos from their christenings). It very obvious that Edward and Sophie wanted to keep them out of the public eye when they were little, but that doesn't mean that Louise and James weren't "around." For example, I believe that when they were younger, the children would attend the Royal Windsor Horse Show accompanied by their nannies rather than their parents so that they could go unnoticed. I mean, that may seem to a lot of us like an unnecessary step to take, because it seems perfectly harmless just letting the kids be pictured (and especially with kids who are of considerably less public interest than George and Charlotte), but clearly it was an issue that was important to their parents. And yet, now that Louise and James do show up with the rest of the family, they seem fine and perfectly adjusted when there are cameras around.

I think, for us normal folks there are a lot of these events (e.g. something casual like the horse show, or something more formal like Trooping the Color) that seem perfectly harmless to us. But obviously some royal parents feel otherwise (as surely it would be easier to just take one's children out as normal), and they might have reasons for that that we can't understand. I think each set of royal parents, no matter which royal family they belong to, just try to navigate the situation as best they can. I don't necessarily think there's a right way or a wrong way, and I can only imagine how difficult some decisions must seem for parents raising their children in the public eye.
Old 05-16-2015, 09:53 PM
Serene Highness

I also think that Louise was kept out of the media's eye when young because of her eye problem. Many in the media just had too many nasty and unwanted "advise" about the child's problem. The parents and doctors were correct in their opinion and operated when it was the correct time. I remember thinking at the time that people just had too much to say about her physical problem especially when no one knew all the facts but the professionals and parents. Which is how it should be as it was no one else's personal business.
Old 05-16-2015, 10:22 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
I also think that Louise was kept out of the media's eye when young because of her eye problem. Many in the media just had too many nasty and unwanted "advise" about the child's problem. The parents and doctors were correct in their opinion and operated when it was the correct time. I remember thinking at the time that people just had too much to say about her physical problem especially when no one knew all the facts but the professionals and parents. Which is how it should be as it was no one else's personal business.
Yes, I think that had a lot to do with it, but I also think it was part of a general desire for privacy. Because when Louise did eventually start attending events publicly (most notably being one of William and Kate's bridesmaids), she still had the eye problem. Also, we still see more of Louise than we do of James at public events, which makes me think that age is part of the equation for them in terms of bringing the kids out.

For me, it's just interesting to see how relaxed Louise is in front of the cameras, when she was so shielded from them when she was small (and Edward and Sophie obviously seem quite okay with her being photographed, too.) Obviously any attention on the Wessex children will never be on the same level as what George and Charlotte will get, but it just seems interesting to me that in both cases you're seeing the kids get less public exposure when they're small, compared to William, Harry, Beatrice, and Eugenie (and probably Peter and Zara, too? I'm too young to remember how often they were seen) when they were little. And, I think we all know that, while we might not see tons of pictures of George and Charlotte while they're small, that will certainly evolve as they get older.
Old 05-16-2015, 10:34 PM
Imperial Majesty

Of course, the photographers at the Trooping, horse show, Easter service or polo match, would love to see George, and later on Charlotte, but none of them would do anything to scare, harm or traumatize the kids. The kids are protected the entire time and press aren't anywhere near the kids.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 05-16-2015, 10:54 PM
Royal Highness

The photographs of Savannah, Isla and Louise were probably taken from several meters or hundreds of meters away with a telephoto lens.

None of the pictures show the children directly facing the camera.

The smaller children were probably unaware of the camera.

William and Catherine have moved to Norfollk and William is not a full time royal so expecting the Cambridge children to appear on the balcony because W&H appeared on the balcony is like comparing apples to socks.

William and Catherin have their own lives. They will chose when/if their children will attend public events. There is no need for William to replicate his childhood in photos using George and Charlotte.

As far as the Cambridge children, exactly how many times did William and Harry attend the Windsor Horse when they were Charlotte and George's age?
Old 05-16-2015, 10:55 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Of course, the photographers at the Trooping, horse show, Easter service or polo match, would love to see George, and later on Charlotte, but none of them would do anything to scare, harm or traumatize the kids. The kids are protected the entire time and press aren't anywhere near the kids.
Right, and I'm sure those are events that they'll start to attend at some point. But I think when it comes to deciding whether or not to bring the kids to an event there are two considerations: the impact on the child of being photographed at the time (which, of course, might not be much of anything at all), and the impact of having the photos published everywhere. As for the events themselves, of course I don't think the kids are in any danger, but whether or not they get scared or just a little anxious or neither really depends on the child (as we saw when William brought George to the hospital to see Charlotte: George seemed okay with being there in front of all the media, etc., but clearly he felt a bit more confident in his dad's arms than he did walking on his own). Then there's the factor of having the pictures published everywhere. Of course the natural inclination would be to think "if they show the kids off more often, the paparazzi will lay off" but there's the flip side that if they do show off the kids more, then photographers might become accustomed to them in the sense of not respecting limits. And I'm sure there are other factors/concerns I'm sure I'm not even aware of, but every royal child is going to have at least one parent who grew up royal (in this case, obviously, William), so I'm sure some of their decisions with regard to their kids is based in part on their own experiences.
Old 05-16-2015, 10:56 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Those occasions are exactly the ones we should see pictures of them from. Its the family putting on the royal family "face" and that's something the kids will be growing up with all their lives and will need to adapt to. Its the following of these wee ones for every little "unseen" shot that needs to be curbed. You know what I mean, its like those shots they'd fall out of a tree for to just capture the latest dump that Lupo took because no one else has that picture. Then try to make green dollars selling said dump on Ebay or somewhere. It gets that crazy out there I think.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 05-17-2015, 12:08 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post

As far as the Cambridge children, exactly how many times did William and Harry attend the Windsor Horse when they were Charlotte and George's age?
I can't remember William and Harry attending the show as children, but I remember Beatrice being photographed there with her parents when she was very young.
Old 05-17-2015, 12:26 AM
Courtier

A twitter account has posted that PG's foray to the Dersingham Playground was in the company of Nanny Maria, and not the Duchess of Cambridge.

With baby Princess Charlotte now in the mix, I can see that would not be unlikely.

And Uncle Harry has given another interview and said he would in years to come, encourage George and Charlotte to become involved with the Armed Forces.
Old 05-17-2015, 03:03 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
A twitter account has posted that PG's foray to the Dersingham Playground was in the company of Nanny Maria, and not the Duchess of Cambridge.

With baby Princess Charlotte now in the mix, I can see that would not be unlikely.

And Uncle Harry has given another interview and said he would in years to come, encourage George and Charlotte to become involved with the Armed Forces.
Didn't it be that it used to be the heir, one for the military and one for the priesthood kind of thing?

I can see Charlotte going "plibbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbts" already.. Oh wait.. that's only gas.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 05-17-2015, 05:15 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post

The other thing is Peter Philips' children along with the Louise and James are private citizens. The press doesn't follow them around and after the Windsor Horse Show they can go home and that's it.

George and Charlotte will be in the spotlight until the day they die. I personally don't think its too much to ask to allow them to have their childhood before they're trotted out like circus animals for the satisfaction of the British press corps.
Old 05-18-2015, 11:26 PM
Courtier

Royal reporter Rob Jobson caught up with Prince Harry at the Chelsea Flower Show, and the Prince told him that he would be seeing Princess Charlotte "maybe Tuesday, maybe Wednesday".

(Tuesday already half-gone here in Oz of course.)
Old 05-19-2015, 12:21 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella View Post
Right, and I'm sure those are events that they'll start to attend at some point. But I think when it comes to deciding whether or not to bring the kids to an event there are two considerations: the impact on the child of being photographed at the time (which, of course, might not be much of anything at all), and the impact of having the photos published everywhere. As for the events themselves, of course I don't think the kids are in any danger, but whether or not they get scared or just a little anxious or neither really depends on the child (as we saw when William brought George to the hospital to see Charlotte: George seemed okay with being there in front of all the media, etc., but clearly he felt a bit more confident in his dad's arms than he did walking on his own). Then there's the factor of having the pictures published everywhere. Of course the natural inclination would be to think "if they show the kids off more often, the paparazzi will lay off" but there's the flip side that if they do show off the kids more, then photographers might become accustomed to them in the sense of not respecting limits. And I'm sure there are other factors/concerns I'm sure I'm not even aware of, but every royal child is going to have at least one parent who grew up royal (in this case, obviously, William), so I'm sure some of their decisions with regard to their kids is based in part on their own experiences.
Good post. All of today's royal parents have had their own experiences with the media when they were growing up. I'll trust their judgement as to how often their children should be photographed at different stages in their lives.
Old 05-19-2015, 01:37 PM
Heir Apparent

I was surprised by the amount of photographs of the Wessex and Phillips' children from Saturday to be honest, but it's always a pleasant surprise. The Windsor Horse Show is the time when the Wessex children are guaranteed to be photographed as they always attend with their parents. I think the breakthrough from the press for Edward and Sophie came in 2009 when it was suggested by the Queen that they allow their children to be photographed with them at the show for their 10th wedding anniversary. Since then Louise and James have been seen every year being photographed openly. They are also 100% aware of the cameras as there are several of them looking directly into the camera. Louise is looking at the camera here and Sophie is looking at the camera here with her bodyguard in tow. (pictures from DM article). The Phillips' girls are probably less aware of the cameras, although there were several photographers following them as there were photos from 10 or so press agencies of the girls playing. The photographers also can't be that far from them as you can see the pedestrians behind them looking at the group playing, probably wondering why they are being photographed by so many people.

I think Louise and James are both so relaxed around the cameras as they have been photographed for a while now and I am sure their parents have told them why they are being photographed. They are old enough now to know their Granny is and her importance and their "importance" by default. They are obviously aware of who their parents are as they have bodyguards with them on holidays as they were spotted playing with their parents' bodyguards last summer. I can't imagine any other children in their school have a two men accompany them on holidays!

Of course if and when George and Charlotte attend the Windsor Horse Show the attention will be huge, although I don't recall William and Harry attending the show that much as children. The York's and Phillips' children were seen a lot in the 80's and 90's, whereas I don't think the Wales' were big attenders.

Tags
duchess of cambridge, duke of cambridge, kate middleton, prince william, princess charlotte