The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 04:42 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
I agree that you cannot have a media free-for-all, I understand that. But what i don't understand is how other monarchies can get along fairly harmonously with their media/paps and the BRF can't. Before anyone says "the BRF are different, they're wider known, they get more attention etc", i'm sorry but I believe they make it harder for themselves.

Both sides know they need each other, come to an arrangement, make a deal, and anyone that breaks the deal is dealt with. There needs to be a line drawn, of which all parties are clearly away of, and when the line is crossed consequences occur.

I did read it thank you very much.
I'm sorry but they're royals, to expect anything less than stalking to get a picture wouldn't surprise me.

As i said above, a line needs to be drawn and an agreement reached between all parties so everyone knows what what means, and what event = this etc. Life could be so much simplier for all parties.

It doesn't have to be a tip off from anybody. Paps will more than likely have a lowly intern or assistant outside all 4 or more key residences at any one time. When a car leaves, it's either followed to it's destination or if you can tell from the car and it's occupants who's in it, it's left alone.
I don't think anyone no matter the position should have to "expect anything less than stalking". And ok, they might have to expect the act itself, what they should not be expected to do is accept it, hence they're taking action.

Old 08-14-2015, 04:44 PM
Aristocracy

Anyone who stalks minors and babies to take pics is super creepy.

Old 08-14-2015, 04:46 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
I'm sorry, and i'm probably going to get some flack for this but my answer is "you can't have it both ways". William needs to learn that the media are friends of the royal families, and royals need the media far more than the media needs the royals.

An arrangement needs to be reached because this too-ing and fro-ing is getting ridiculous.

Question: Where do we draw the line then? Why one rule for Britain and another rule for other monarchies with young children? Jacques and Gabriella in Monaco, out for a walk somewhere, do we post a link yes or no?

If the TRF are going to "politely plea" we do not post unofficial pictures of George or Charlotte we might as well shut our eyes for the next 17 years.

What are we classing as unofficial and official? George attends the christmas church event this year, not in the CC, family event, but paps are always there? Yay or nah?

George's first day of school, Charlottes first day of nursery perhaps? Not criticising just asking where do we draw the line?

Frankly, each TRF member should judge for themselves whether they want to look at the pictures and I don't think we should be asked to refrain. George is the future King, Catherine and William should bring their children up to understand the media.

I'm just scared something crazy and dumb can happen to these kids. When you think about it, the pictures of George in the park with his mother or nanny are nice, but it just frightens me that the paps are performing these dangerous tactics to get those pictures. They're only doing this stuff for the money and folks on the net are hungry for these pics. The only part we can do is stop fueling the fire on the net for these pictures. It may not stop things, but at least we're doing something to protect these kids.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 08-14-2015, 04:46 PM
Courtier

Quote:
I agree that you cannot have a media free-for-all, I understand that. But what i don't understand is how other monarchies can get along fairly harmonously with their media/paps and the BRF can't. Before anyone says "the BRF are different, they're wider known, they get more attention etc", i'm sorry but I believe they make it harder for themselves.
The fact is, though, that the BRF are much more widely known than any of the other royal families, and that legitimately presents them with a different set of problems. A picture of Prince George is going to be worth much more than a picture of, say, Princess Estelle, simply because it can be sold to so many media outlets around the world. It's the amount of money involved that makes the paparazzi go to extreme lengths to get pictures of these children. I'm really not sure how William and Kate have made it harder on themselves. Since Charlotte's birth, we've certainly seen more of Prince George in public (in addition to pictures released by the family) - and yet there seems to have been an increase in paparazzi pictures of George since then. What are they supposed to do? If a simple agreement could be easily drawn up, I'm sure it would have been done long ago.
Old 08-14-2015, 04:57 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella View Post
The fact is, though, that the BRF are much more widely known than any of the other royal families, and that legitimately presents them with a different set of problems. A picture of Prince George is going to be worth much more than a picture of, say, Princess Estelle, simply because it can be sold to so many media outlets around the world. It's the amount of money involved that makes the paparazzi go to extreme lengths to get pictures of these children. I'm really not sure how William and Kate have made it harder on themselves. Since Charlotte's birth, we've certainly seen more of Prince George in public (in addition to pictures released by the family) - and yet there seems to have been an increase in paparazzi pictures of George since then. What are they supposed to do? If a simple agreement could be easily drawn up, I'm sure it would have been done long ago.
Exactly. Agreements are in place exactly like with other royals. And all british media follows them.. But what do you expect them to do?! Bake a backroom deal with every little magazine in Australia, US, Germany etc? It's just not doable. That's the difference between them and other royals. If the Swedish royal family makes a deal with the Swedish media that chokes the demand (except for an odd picture here and there in germany) but if the BRF does the same they only choke the British media and make them angry for having to follow different standards. The only 2 ways I can see to hinder this kind of stuff is 1. people stop watching the pictures and 2. they make legislations on when a picture taken of a child in a public place is unlawfull. That way number 1 chokes the demand = no money value = people don't go to those lengths and 2. hinders kids (especially of celebrities) from being stalked.
Old 08-14-2015, 05:29 PM
Heir Apparent

Laws are useless unless the punishment is more severe than the gain. Look at what happened in France with the sunbathing photos. No one went jail and the fine was $2500 which is nothing. If a person can break into a house and steal $1000, get caught and just have to pay $100 from the $1000 and keep the difference. They are going to keep doing it.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 08-14-2015, 05:31 PM
Courtier

How are the media William's friends when they are using pedophile like tactic to stalk his children?

Some people are deliberately being obtuse just to excused the stalking of a toddler.

Victoria and Daniel doesn't have to with the US, Australia, etc media buying photos for the paparazzi. There is no demand for photos of Estelle outside of Sweden and to a lesser extend Germany.

How is William making it harder on himself? The British media doesn't buy these photos, foreign media does. Yet somehow they should take the examples of Victoria and Daniel who doesn't have to deal with foreign media intrusion nor do they have paparazzi trying to lure their kids and causing dangerous situation for securities, but somehow that is all William fault for people breaking the law, stalking children and hiding being the fact of free press.
Old 08-14-2015, 05:34 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
Laws are useless unless the punishment is more severe than the gain. Look at what happened in France with the sunbathing photos. No one went jail and the fine was $2500 which is nothing. If a person can break into a house and steal $1000, get caught and just have to pay $100 from the $1000 and keep the difference. They are going to keep doing it.

Very true..
Old 08-14-2015, 06:08 PM
Majesty

Prince George and Princess Charlotte, General News Part 1: May 2015

Quote:

Exactly. There's no consequences that are severe enough in place to be a deterrent. I bet if the penalty for a pap who is stalking a child, and using extremely questionable tactics to lure the said child into the range of the camera would involve immediate loss of employment, with no possibility of rehire from anyone, and a nice, hefty fine, the sleaze bags may think twice about chasing a toddler for a few snaps. Of course if jail time is added on, the pictures would not become so appealing, because the risks would be heavier than a profit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miche View Post
How are the media William's friends when they are using pedophile like tactic to stalk his children?

Some people are deliberately being obtuse just to excused the stalking of a toddler.

Victoria and Daniel doesn't have to with the US, Australia, etc media buying photos for the paparazzi. There is no demand for photos of Estelle outside of Sweden and to a lesser extend Germany.

How is William making it harder on himself? The British media doesn't buy these photos, foreign media those. Yet somehow they should take the examples of Victoria and Daniel who doesn't have to deal with foreign media intrusion nor do they have paparazzi trying to lure their kids and causing dangerous situation for securities, but somehow that is all William fault for people breaking the law, stalking children and hiding being the fact of free press.
There's nothing like blaming the victim; if they would release more pictures, strike a deal, be more like other royals, etc., then none of this would happen. Sadly, that's not true. Estelle is not stalked by paps from all over the globe, eager for a candid snap, so it's easier to keep that situation under control. I'm in full agreement with William, and Catherine on this. The stalking needs to stop, and it shouldn't mean that they all of a sudden have to subject their children to photo shoots once a month to satisfy the public. Severe consequences need to be put in place for the type of behavior exhibited by the paps, including jail time, permanent loss of employment (including no chances of being rehired), and the permission for the PPOs to shoot first, ask questions later, if they feel the sleaze bag in the boot of a car, pointing a long range camera lens is a direct threat. I think anything less will just allow the behavior to continue.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 08-14-2015, 06:16 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post
Exactly. There's no consequences that are severe enough in place to be a deterrent. I bet if the penalty for a pap who is stalking a child, and using extremely questionable tactics to lure the said child into the range of the camera would involve immediate loss of employment, with no possibility of rehire from anyone, and a nice, hefty fine, the sleaze bags may think twice about chasing a toddler for a few snaps. Of course if jail time is added on, the pictures would not become so appealing, because the risks would be heavier than a profit.

There's nothing like blaming the victim; if they would release more pictures, strike a deal, be more like other royals, etc., then none of this would happen. Sadly, that's not true. Estelle is not stalked by paps from all over the globe, eager for a candid snap, so it's easier to keep that situation under control. I'. In full agreement with William, and Catherine on this. The stalking needs to stop, and it shouldn't mean that they all of a sudden have to subject their children to photo shoots once a month to satisfy the public. Severe consequences need to be put in place for the type of behavior exhibited by the paps, including jail time, permanent loss of employment (including no chances of being rehired), and the permission for the PPOs to shoot first, ask questions later, if they feel the sleaze bag in the boot of a car, pointing a long range camera lens is a direct threat. I think anything less will just allow the behavior to continue.

I am also on William side here, I hope my statement didn't come across as if I was blaming William
Old 08-14-2015, 06:22 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by miche View Post
I am also on William side here, I hope my statement didn't come across as if I was blaming William
Not at all . I was agreeing with what you stated. I'm sorry if it came across as otherwise.

Old 08-14-2015, 06:33 PM
Serene Highness

In reference to Richard Palmer, his comment: "Most regular royal photographers were banned from Charlotte's christening," I believe is incorrect. He is being disingenuous IMO, unless he is referring to the private photos taken by Mario Testino. Just WHO banned so-called royal photographers from the christening, again unless he is referring to photography indoors at the christening where NO photographers were allowed. IMO, he is not making sense. Major whinge!!!!
Old 08-14-2015, 06:43 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess of Durham View Post
In reference to Richard Palmer, his comment: "Most regular royal photographers were banned from Charlotte's christening," I believe is incorrect. He is being disingenuous IMO, unless he is referring to the private photos taken by Mario Testino. Just WHO banned so-called royal photographers from the christening, again unless he is referring to photography indoors at the christening where NO photographers were allowed. IMO, he is not making sense. Major whinge!!!!
Appearantly there was a little press enclosure near the stairs outisde the church were a few photographers were allowed. The number was kept down so to leave space for private people instead and alot in the press enclosure were photographers from local Norfolk papers (probably as a way to thank Norfolk for giving the Cambridges privacy) and some of the national press/photographers have taken real offence to that, thinking that they are expected to show the Cambridges respect while getting nothing in return. It's a thing thaat has been building with that christening thing + pictures being released first by KP and the british press saying they're loosing revenues because of that.
Old 08-14-2015, 06:46 PM
Serene Highness

Thanks, my bad. I somehow missed all that.
Old 08-14-2015, 06:55 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
I'm sorry, and i'm probably going to get some flack for this but my answer is "you can't have it both ways". William needs to learn that the media are friends of the royal families, and royals need the media far more than the media needs the royals.

An arrangement needs to be reached because this too-ing and fro-ing is getting ridiculous.

Question: Where do we draw the line then? Why one rule for Britain and another rule for other monarchies with young children? Jacques and Gabriella in Monaco, out for a walk somewhere, do we post a link yes or no?

If the TRF are going to "politely plea" we do not post unofficial pictures of George or Charlotte we might as well shut our eyes for the next 17 years.

What are we classing as unofficial and official? George attends the christmas church event this year, not in the CC, family event, but paps are always there? Yay or nah?

George's first day of school, Charlottes first day of nursery perhaps? Not criticising just asking where do we draw the line?

Frankly, each TRF member should judge for themselves whether they want to look at the pictures and I don't think we should be asked to refrain. George is the future King, Catherine and William should bring their children up to understand the media.
Agree 100%!! How can be judged if a photographer used a questionable tactic or not, and that concerns any royal family.

If posters are afraid that they could look at pictures of George and Charlotte that have a questionable source should check on the respective event and refrain from opening the photolinks if the event in question wasnt on the official calendar.

To suggest that 'general news' photos of the Cambridge kids should be banned on this forum (if they are not clearly violating law) is simply ridiculous.
Old 08-14-2015, 07:35 PM
Heir Apparent

The practice of using a press pool is a routine practice. Certain events is not feasible to have every press reporter or photographer there. We see it all the time on royal tours. Take when they went to NZ- there was a press group at the airport and a different group at the Govt House welcoming since it would be impossible to both places in time to cover both events. But the pool people have to share with the others that weren't there. So if Arthur Edwards was outside the church at Sandringham as the pool photographer for the christening, the photos are shared by the other media outlets and not are exclusive to the Sun where he works.

Old 08-14-2015, 07:49 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
The practice of using a press pool is a routine practice. Certain events is not feasible to have every press reporter or photographer there. We see it all the time on royal tours. Take when they went to NZ- there was a press group at the airport and a different group at the Govt House welcoming since it would be impossible to both places in time to cover both events. But the pool people have to share with the others that weren't there. So if Arthur Edwards was outside the church at Sandringham as the pool photographer for the christening, the photos are shared by the other media outlets and not are exclusive to the Sun where he works.

That is true. Because all photos we saw from the Christening was marked Press Association.. Sooooo, what they REALLY are complaining at is not having exclusives.......
Old 08-14-2015, 08:01 PM
Imperial Majesty

Victoria Murphy ‏@QueenVicMirror 13h13 hours ago .@KensingtonRoyal also hopes that by releasing the letter they will discourage royal fans from viewing and therefore giving a market to pics

I'm behind William and Catherine on this issue. I like seeing pictures of Prince George and pictures of him in public places outside of official appearances are nice, but tricky. I think people should calm down their appetite to viewing questionable pictures online. More viewers, more pics!

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 08-14-2015, 09:18 PM
Courtier

I can't imagine having to live my life never knowing if there was some creepy guy holed up in his car, stocked up on food, no doubt peeing in a bottle, just waiting to get a photo of my small children.

Call me naive, but I'd assumed the photos we've seen of George were obtained by a photographer out in the open, maybe using a long range camera,no stalking or subterfuge involved. I'm genuinely surprised at the lengths people will go to take these pictures.
Old 08-14-2015, 09:57 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelot23ca View Post
I can't imagine having to live my life never knowing if there was some creepy guy holed up in his car, stocked up on food, no doubt peeing in a bottle, just waiting to get a photo of my small children.

Call me naive, but I'd assumed the photos we've seen of George were obtained by a photographer out in the open, maybe using a long range camera,no stalking or subterfuge involved. I'm genuinely surprised at the lengths people will go to take these pictures.
I was under the same impression. Never in my wildest dreams did I even imagine that the sleazy creeps would do what they've been doing just for a glimpse of a little boy, and a little girl under the age of three. Disgusting. Like others have already been doing on this thread, I won't be looking at any pap shots that are posted.

Closed Thread

Tags
duchess of cambridge, duke of cambridge, kate middleton, prince william, princess charlotte