The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 12:04 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ada View Post
AND pressing the security panic button

I have a feeling that came into the discussions concerning the work that needed done at both Cambridge Residences. Buttons of any kind are tempting things for a Toddler. :)

I wonder if one of the new additions to the Cambridge Bathtime Fleet has it's Maiden Voyage in the tub yet? The three sailors who made those wooden replicas of HMS Queen Elizabeth II and HMS Prince of Wales, the two new Aircraft Carriers about to come into Service in the next few years, for George and Charlotte did a stunning job on them!!

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Old 07-28-2015, 06:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
PRINCE Charles has turned part of his garden at Highgrove into a playground for his grandchildren with an £18,000 shepherd's hut and a rebuilt treehouse.
Read more: Prince George and Princess Charlotte get new royal treehouse from Charles | Royal | News | Daily Express

Quote:
All children love to build a Wendy House in the back garden, and the lucky few might even get a wooden playhouse where they can cook pretend food and entertain young guests.

Prince George, however, has done rather better, after he was given an £18,000 cottage on wheels for him to play in when he visits Highgrove.

Visitors to the Prince of Wales’s Gloucestershire home can now glimpse the hand-built Shepherd’s Hut during guided tours of the 15-acre garden.

The Victorian-style outhouse, complete with wood-burning stove and day bed, was a first birthday gift from a Dorset-based company that began with the help of the Prince’s Trust.

It is sited on the edge of the Prince’s wildflower meadow, in the hope, no doubt, that Prince George will be inspired to inherit his grandfather’s passion for horticulture.
Read more: Prince George's birthday present revealed - and it's a whopper - Telegraph

Old 07-28-2015, 06:18 PM
Serene Highness

sounds like a magical place for children
Old 07-28-2015, 06:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Isn't there a rule against royals accepting gifts from companies?

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 07-28-2015, 06:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
Isn't there a rule against royals accepting gifts from companies? Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Likely there was less concern back when it was built?
Old 07-28-2015, 07:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Rebecca English @RE_DailyMail
Earlier I got to see the Poplar sapling planted at #Highgrove by Prince Charles and his grandson #PrinceGeorge.

https://twitter.com/RE_DailyMail/sta...560896/photo/1
Old 07-28-2015, 07:08 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Isn't there a rule against royals accepting gifts from companies?

I think there is some latitude on special occasions i.e. birthdays, weddings, coronations, etc. if in proportion and already an established relationship so as to not infer a quid pro quo.

In this case I think that the company is part of the Prince's Trust so he was already incredibly appreciative. Accepting the gift promoted the company which he had already 'endorsed' as part of his trust.
Old 07-28-2015, 07:50 PM
Heir Apparent

Prince George and Princess Charlotte, General News Part 1: May 2015

The wheeled hut is new. The treehouse was built when William and Harry were little. The manufacturer of the hut got a loan from the Prince's Trust to start his company but isn't part of the trust itself.

Maybe if the gift from Joe Smith, the person instead of Smith Company then that's okay as an example.

Old 07-28-2015, 08:27 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Doesn't it make a difference when it is a gift to a royal representing the Crown? Such as gifts exchanged at state banquets and given on royal tours? They become property of the Crown and are kept and cataloged for future reference?

I think the hut was a personal gift to Charles and in many ways, it could also be looked at as a "thank you" gift. I'm sure there are personal gifts that royals have received that they do hold on to and use but my understanding is that a lot of them (flowers etc) are donated to places where they'd be of good use.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 07-28-2015, 08:49 PM
Heir Apparent

I looked it up

http://www.royal.gov.uk/LatestNewsan...gifts.aspx#2.2

Section 2.2 Is gifts from businesses. Basically not supposed to accept them unless part of visit to company, Royal marriage or other personal occasion. Can't exploit gift giving for commercial purposes.

Old 07-28-2015, 09:14 PM
Heir Apparent

The company that has been involved in this work came about through the Princes charities in supporting local and artisan work. This is a gift in return.

there is no issue here, as this is a thank you gift. People can try and be negative about this but I see a loving grandfather creating an exciting environment for his grandchildren for yrs to come.

Why not just enjoy it.?

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 07-28-2015, 09:41 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
The company that has been involved in this work came about through the Princes charities in supporting local and artisan work. This is a gift in return.

there is no issue here, as this is a thank you gift. People can try and be negative about this but I see a loving grandfather creating an exciting environment for his grandchildren for yrs to come.

Why not just enjoy it.?
This is my thoughts on it too. I can just picture George's glee when being told they're going over to Grampa's house. Not only does he get to visit "his" tree but also has his own "little estate" to manage. I think both George and Charlotte will have very happy memories from this.

Charles is nobody's fool and knows the ins and outs of the protocol of royal gift giving and should there have been any kind of "misbehavin'" with accepting the hut, it wouldn't have happened. I definitely believe that Charles is the one that would know best about this issue than anyone else outside the royal family.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 07-28-2015, 09:42 PM
Heir Apparent

I'm not being negative. I just asked a question and then there was a discussion about the question. Isn't that the point of this forum to have discussions?

Old 07-28-2015, 09:58 PM
Heir Apparent

This would probably come under 'personal occasion', ie George's second birthday. I do think that the royals probably do cherry pick as far as the items are given as gifts are concerned, though.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:13 PM
Majesty

Quote:
I'm not being negative. I just asked a question and then there was a discussion about the question. Isn't that the point of this forum to have discussions?
And a darned good question is is. Sometimes its questions like yours that open a discussion and in this case, I learn something about royals and the gifts they receive and how they're processed etc, etc, etc. If we didn't ask questions and present opinions, all we'd be left with is links. Links are great to read but it is the conversations where I mostly learn things.
― John Lennon
Old 07-28-2015, 11:47 PM
Gentry

I think they generally dont accept gifts from companies because most times the companies are giving them for self promotion.

I think this one was accepted because : -it was a personal occasion and the company got started with the help of the Prince's trust. I think it was more of " you helped us when we were getting off our feet, congratulations on your grandson" kind of gift.
The company clearly didnt do it for PR reasons as the gift was for George's 1st birthday and no one knew about it until these garden tours.

I love how there are now stories of Charles and George going y,x & z together. I mean poor man doesnt see his grandkids because of the evil Middletons
Old 07-29-2015, 05:41 AM
Heir Apparent

Seems Charles does spend quality time with George after all I'm shocked Richard Kay and Sebastian Shakespeare got it wrong (again)

Quote:
The heir to the throne, 66, has enjoyed a picnic complete with plastic cups in the garden with George and introduced him to the art of tree planting - he will plant hundreds of trees in his life as a royal. "There was a lot of stamping of wellingtons and several watering cans involved,"
Prince George and Princess Charlotte get new royal treehouse from Charles | Royal | News | Daily Express

Quote:
One aide told the Mail: ‘The gardens at Highgrove have always been the prince’s passion but he has never lost sight of the fact that this is a family home where his children and now grandchildren play.

‘He and Prince George have already spent some very happy times here together and will no doubt spend many more.’

The future king regularly enjoys picnics in the gardens with George and has even bought him a tea set, complete with plastic cups, to play with.

The little prince, who is third in line to the throne, is said to be particularly taken with the spectacular treehouse his grandfather had built for William and Harry.
Prince Charles turns Highgrove gardens into playground for grandson George | Daily Mail Online
Old 07-29-2015, 01:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

Love that this is the tree house that their father and uncle played in as children. I know that Princess Beatrice recently gave a tour of the playhouse that belonged to the Queen and Princess Margaret as children. Apparently all of the royal children/grandchildren and now great-grandchildren can still enjoy these delightful structures.
Old 07-29-2015, 01:36 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

The information about Prince George planting a tree with his grandfather is sweet, I wonder if Prince Charles will pass on his love for nature to Prince George.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
Love that this is the tree house that their father and uncle played in as children. I know that Princess Beatrice recently gave a tour of the playhouse that belonged to the Queen and Princess Margaret as children. Apparently all of the royal children/grandchildren and now great-grandchildren can still enjoy these delightful structures.
Ahh, that's lovely. I remember the tour of HM and Princess Margaret's playhouse with Princess Beatrice too, wasn't it on Our Queen?

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 07-29-2015, 04:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

I saw pictures of Prince George with Carol Middleton playing on a beach. I saw them on Facebook and they are very sweet but I'm not sure how to post them here.

Tags
duchess of cambridge, duke of cambridge, kate middleton, prince william, princess charlotte