Prince George and Princess Charlotte, General News 2: May 2015 - May 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've done some googling, including some articles in The Guardian. From the commentary, it does not appear to be against the law to take photos of George and Charlotte, or any person of child for that matter, in Britain. But I, and the commentary, could be wrong.

I've done some googling, including some articles in The Guardian. From the commentary, it does not appear to be against the law to take photos of George and Charlotte, or any person of child for that matter, in Britain. But I, and the commentary, could be wrong.
If it was, they would have just gone to the court.

William can renounce his position. He can give up the title, the money, the privilege. Move to a new country and then they can live a normal life. I really doubt Kate nor himself would be able to survive on their own. He may not have asked for this, but this is the hand he was dealt. When I go out in public and a picture is take, I cant complain or file a lawsuit because I am in public. Why should they be different? A sniper can be watching anyone anywhere. Most people on this board probably don't watch the USA news, but people here are killed just for going to church or a movie. Happens here almost every other week. No one is ever 'safe'.

For William to renounce his position he would have to apply to the parliament of the 16 different realms to pass the legislation to remove him from the line of succession.

That wouldn't save George and Charlotte from their current positions - in fact it would make them worse - as they would have to move up one position in the line of succession. They can't be removed at the request of their parents - only when they turn 18 respectively.

The other way he could go would be to convert to Roman Catholicism but again that only takes him out but not George or Charlotte who again can't be removed because William has taken himself out of the line.

The bottom line to myself is that this is a toddler and a baby. No matter who their parents are, a toddler and a baby.

For William to renounce his position he would have to apply to the parliament of the 16 different realms to pass the legislation to remove him from the line of succession.

That wouldn't save George and Charlotte from their current positions - in fact it would make them worse - as they would have to move up one position in the line of succession. They can't be removed at the request of their parents - only when they turn 18 respectively.

The other way he could go would be to convert to Roman Catholicism but again that only takes him out but not George or Charlotte who again can't be removed because William has taken himself out of the line.

And one could argue that even if he did step out of the line, and get approvals, that would only heighter the interest/intrusions on the children.

And one could argue that even if he did step out of the line, and get approvals, that would only heighter the interest/intrusions on the children.

If Will were able to take himself and his children out of the line, it would only place the burden on Harry and his kids, who whoever highest up has children. So it's no solution overall, even if it were possible.

Could William and Kate not strike up some sort of deal with the press similar to Crown Princess Victoria in Sweden? In return for routinely released snaps of Estelle they leave them alone in their private time.

I agree Will and Kate need to take what legal action they can at this point, as I think that the safety of their children is in question now, and the answer is not keeping George behind a wall. Do I think they can take care of this issue once and for all? No, I think it will be an ongoing battle of keeping their fingers in the dykes. Do I think this fair? No. What's going to happen and what can they do within the bounds of British law, and any other law for that matter? I don't know, but I'm sure they've sought the advice of experts on the subject.

Well, there's not much point in taking legal action.

Celebrities have tried suing the tabloids for years; even when they win, they typically don't get much in damages.
The tabloids cheerfully pay up, and then it's business as usual.

The know their profits will more than offset any legal damages.

Could William and Kate not strike up some sort of deal with the press similar to Crown Princess Victoria in Sweden? In return for routinely released snaps of Estelle they leave them alone in their private time.

Exactly what I said in my first post. But because the BRF are apparently soooo different to every other monarchy in the world, an agreement is impossible.

However no-ones actually tried.

The Queen never expected to be Monarch. Her fathers life and her families lives were turned completley upside down due to the abdication. Her Majesty made that famous speech as a young woman regarding dedicating her life to her duty. Does anyone seriously believe that Prince William will abdicate or even speak of it, even if he was considering it in his Grandmother's life time? Was it coincidental that his father waited until The Queen Mothers death to remarry?

They did strike press deals with the British press for them to let WH finish Eton and W to go to university in exchange for periodic interviews from William. They also struck to a press deal when Harry went to Afghanistan the first time. Then it got broken by foreign media.

If they made a deal with the UK media, they would also have to make deals with Canada, U.S., Aus, NZ etc but what would compel Popsugar to make a deal with the British Royals. They have nothing to give the foreign media.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Yes the Cambridge's are in a different postion. Which Royal Family has lost a member in the way the Windsor's did. I love Princess Estelle, please don't get me wrong and no criticism is meant in any way towards her or her parents but they are do not have the world wide attention that the Cambridge's do?

The deal between the Swedish media and the Swedish royal family works for a number of reasons. For one, the demand for photos is a lot lower than for the British royals. Also, the UK media do not publish the paparazzi photos, it's the foreign media markets (US, France, Australia, etc) that do. William and Kate would have to strike a deal with them and I don't know how willing they would be to stop buying/publishing the photos. In fact, we saw first hand that some of these foreign publications had no problem publishing the photos of Kate sunbathing.

This year we've had quite a few family outings and official photos of George and that still has been hasn't stopped the level of interest, or discouraged the paparazzi from taking photos. So I don't think that more photos will help.

Unfortunately for William and Kate the photos aren't illegal, so there is really nothing that they can do to stop them. Their only option is to try and curb how the photos are taken.

Last edited:
The problem with this is that the paps want EXCLUSIVE photos of the Cambridges off-duty - not snaps released by the family or pictures taken at public or semi-public events. They want something no one else has and will go to some extremes to get them: hiding in the trunk (boot) of a car, crawling on their stomach through the bushes, using other young children as lures, etc. And these are the paparazzi - the legitimate press is NOT taking these kinds of pictures.

The problem is NOT with the media in the UK but international media.

1. The photos of George and Kate at the zoo/park where he is climbing on the haystacks was from a women's magazine from Australia.
2. The pictures of George and Carole at the beach was from an American site called Pop Sugar.

(The UK media and even the Daily Mail DIDN"T publish those pap pics.)

There is no law or deal with the UK media about not publishing those pics, but the UK media industry as a whole has CHOSEN not to do so. Whether that is out of the kindness of their greedy little hearts or due to general backlash and disgust towards the media after HUGE media scandals like the little situation with Diana's death and that little problem with the News of the World hacking incidents, I don't know. Whatever the reason the UK media have freely chosen to set those standards themselves.

That is why in the letter it CLEARLY states:

1. "The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have expressed their gratitude to British media organisations for their policy of not publishing unauthorised photos of their children. This stance, guided not just by their wishes as parents, but by the standards and codes of the industry as it relates to all children, is to be applauded."

2. "Despite this, paparazzi photographers are going to increasingly extreme lengths to observe and monitor Prince George's movements and covertly capture images of him to sell to the handful of international media titles still willing to pay for them."

So... what kind of deal are they suppose to make and how would they be able to make a deal with countries around the world???? They would have to make exclusive deals with each country. Is that realistically possible? How many photo shoots would they have to do would depend on how many countries would make the deal.

Crm2317:
That is why I don't understand why people bring up Estelle comparisons since I have NEVER seen her on the cover of US magazine. Can you or someone who follows the Swedish royals tell us or show us any evidence of Estelle on International magazine covers? How often does it happen?

The problem with this is that the paps want EXCLUSIVE photos of the Cambridges off-duty - not snaps released by the family or pictures taken at public or semi-public events. They want something no one else has and will go to some extremes to get them: hiding in the trunk (boot) of a car, crawling on their stomach through the bushes, using other young children as lures, etc. And these are the paparazzi - the legitimate press is NOT taking these kinds of pictures.

In addition to the practical and logistical reasons such an arrangement wouldn't work with George and Charlotte, I also don't think the Swedish arrangement is necessarily something William and Kate would want to emulate, even if they could. There's an argument to be made that a small child can be on display too much. We see Estelle a lot. She certainly performs well. Hopefully she's as ok with that level of exposure at nine or thirteen years old as she is at three, because there's no going back now.

Oh, I'm pretty sure we wouldn't have heard the last of it had they not been behind or aware of e.g. the ones of Carole and George because those are highly intrusive as neither William nor Catherine are in them. But I also know that that's a very unpopular thing to say ;) And again, I'm not arguing that they shouldn't protect their children – I think we can all agree that the method some of these photographers use are harrowing – merely that they can't draw a line (a line that's already a bit iffy as they want to be treated like "normal" people when they, in fact, are not) only to repeatedly cross it when it's convenient with good press.

I don't understand the point you're trying to make here. When have William and Catherine crossed a line when it's convenient with good press?

In addition to the practical and logistical reasons such an arrangement wouldn't work with George and Charlotte, I also don't think the Swedish arrangement is necessarily something William and Kate would want to emulate, even if they could. There's an argument to be made that a small child can be on display too much. We see Estelle a lot. She certainly performs well. Hopefully she's as ok with that level of exposure at nine or thirteen years old as she is at three, because there's no going back now.

But is it really wrong to prepare her for what is going to be her life ? Or do you keep her under wraps and then throw her in front of all when she's a teenager and expect her to know how to handle it. All through childhood child learn and grow and prepare for being an adult. And a royal child has more and different things to learn and become confident with.

But is it really wrong to prepare her for what is going to be her life ? Or do you keep her under wraps and then throw her in front of all when she's a teenager and expect her to know how to handle it. All through childhood child learn and grow and prepare for being an adult. And a royal child has more and different things to learn and become confident with.

I agree. I think it's far better for a Royal child to grow up living the way she is going to have to live for the rest of her life rather than to live a protected "normal" life as a child and then be tossed to the lions when she's a teenager. She'll accept a Royal life as her normal if she grows up in it, accepting she has a particular role to play, and will be prepared for it.

Better to get used to the attention of the public and the media when you're young and adapatable than to grow up resenting their interest and trying to avoid it. Accepting it and learning to live with it is better than fighting it.

Didn't Willem-Alexander successfully sue Argentinian press that published pictures of his family?

I think there's a large middle ground between keeping someone completely under wraps for all of her childhood and the level of exposure we see in the Swedish case.

If specific, public preparation from babyhood is necessary for a successful royal life than why do so many those who marry into these families seem to thrive and even surpass their born royal partners in gracefully dealing with the unique pressures of royal life?

I think there's a large middle ground between keeping someone completely under wraps for all of her childhood and the level of exposure we see in the Swedish case.

If specific, public preparation from babyhood is necessary for a successful royal life than why do so many those who marry into these families seem to thrive and even surpass their born royal partners in gracefully dealing with the unique pressures of royal life?

Probably because the requirements and demands for being Royal have changed quite drastically from what they were for the "born Royals" 30 and 40 years ago, and the commoner spouses are part of the New World Order for Royals.

Now it's basically mostly all about dressing like a supermodel and smiling into the camera during countless public appearances. Most of the women marrying in have been photogenic enough to manage this and have...shall we say...lived a bit...so that they are not fragile hothouse flowers being thrown to the wolves.

Which is why most learn the ropes quickly and well, at least on the outside. But there have been hints of inner turmoil from more than one of the "married ins"...adjustment disorders, eating disorders, depression, shopping manias, rumors of marital discord.

Last edited:
Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
I agree. I think it's far better for a Royal child to grow up living the way she is going to have to live for the rest of her life rather than to live a protected "normal" life as a child and then be tossed to the lions when she's a teenager. She'll accept a Royal life as her normal if she grows up in it, accepting she has a particular role to play, and will be prepared for it.

Better to get used to the attention of the public and the media when you're young and adapatable than to grow up resenting their interest and trying to avoid it. Accepting it and learning to live with it is better than fighting it.

And most of the Royal families are doing just that... The Danes, Swedes and Belgians in particular are going to have well prepared children who can be down to earth and normal while not neglecting the fact they are Royal with all the problems and privileges associated. It is admirable and natural Will and Kate want a normal childhood for the kids but they may have to get realistic also and get a balance going.

Should candid pictures of young royals be banned?
Royal correspondent speaks out on Duke and Duchess of Cambridge privacy demands | Express Comment | Comment | Daily Express

I wonder what Camilla think of all of this? She's a big public supporter of the freedom of the press.

It's a tough situation, but I hope the dangerous practice of taking these pictures would stop. William and Catherine will have to balance releasing pictures of the kids and family appearances, the paps will have to cool down. The Cambridge's will fight you no matter what when it comes to privacy and the kids. They're bears protecting their cubs and you don't want to mess with a mother and father bear.

I think Crown Princess Victoria and Prince Daniel have made a decision that Princess Estelle will grow up in as normal a way as possible. That includes sharing outings with her mum and dad. That her Mum and Dad are the Crown Princessly couple is beside the point. Her "normal" life will be sharing the celebrations of birthdays, etc. with an adoring public and will be "normal" for her.

Unfortunately, they have seen the "worst case scenario" of what can happen when you pitch a teenager, essentially an adult at 18, into the official royal melee. Victoria's inability to cope led to an eating disorder which made things doubly difficult for a young woman already trying to cope with dyslexia. It's like she hit 18 and all bets were off and suddenly she was expected to be in the public eye. Her entire childhood was also open for examination.

That she failed to cope well with such a situation is hardly surprising with the demands of the media at her age. That she and her family were up front with the media about the problem helped her to cope and, with qualified help she recovered and leads a wonderfully triumphant life. That does not mean she has not seen and experienced the ever increasing media intrusion, as too has William. That they have chosen different ways to "attack" their situation speaks to who they are, their life experiences and how they want to live.

The media is in the business of selling.

Toddlers sells, especially if they are pictured having their moments and melt down.

The media wants access to George's toddler moments.
They want access to George in closeup informal settings not controlled settings.

William has teased the media about George's escapades, yet the media is not allow to capture these moments.
IMO, some in the media feels cheated because of this and have resorted to other means to capture these moments.

George being held at the Trooping the Colours, a play date in Australia and attending his or his sister's christening, is not the same as running around for an hour at a Horse Trial or a Polo match.

The media has more access to Princess Anne's granddaughters Savannah, Isla and Mia's in informal setting than George.

Photographs of Princess Anne's granddaughters can be captured several times a year.
In March, Gatcombe Park Horse Trials (multiple days)
In May, Badminton Horse Trials (multiple days) or
In May, The Royal Windsor Horse Show
In June, Polo Match
In August, The Festival of British Eventing (multiple days)
In December, The Ascot Races or Football matches

Savannah was born December 29, 2010

Here are some of her public access events before she turned 4.
2011 March 26 Gatcombe Park Horse Trials - Day 1
2011 June 19 Bernard Weatherill Cup Charity Polo
2011 August 5 The Festival of British Eventing Day 1
2011 August 6 The Festival of British Eventing Day 2
2012 March 24 Gatcombe Horse Trials - Day 1
2012 March 25 Gatcombe Horse Trials - Day 2
2012 June 17 Golden Metropolitan Polo Club Charity
2012 September 25 Gatcombe Horse Trials - Day 2
2013 May 4 Badminton Horse Trials 2013 - Day 3
2013 May 5 Badminton Horse Trials 2013 - Day 4
2013 September 21Gatcombe Horse Trials - Day 1
2013 December 20 Ascot Races
2013 December 24 Football match
2014 March 1 The Duke of Beaufort's Hunt Holds A Point-to-Point Race
2014 March 22 The Gatcombe Horse Trials - Day 1
2014 March 23 The Gatcombe Horse Trials - Day 2
2014 May 17 Royal Windsor Horse Show
2014 August 2 Festival Of British Eventing

Here are examples of what they want to capture.
A royal tantrum! Princess Anne's adorable granddaughter stamps her wellies and refuses to keep her woolly hat on while watching William and Harry play football | Daily Mail Online

http://www.gettyimages.com/photos/savannah-phillips?excludenudity=false&family=editorial&page=2&phrase=%22savannah%20phillips%22&sort=oldest
Seven pages of cute toddler moments from March 2011 to present. Page 2 is just one of the examples.

Last edited:
CP Victoria is dyslexic?

Both Victoria, Carl-Philip and the King are dyslexic. Victoria also suffers from prosopagnosia which makes it hard for her to remember names and recognise faces.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom